Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I have a semi-off topic question about mumbai: is it physically possible to walk from the airport to a train station? In real life I will surely take a taxi but I have some deep paranoid fear of getting stranded when I travel and airports seem really random on if they are physically things you can walk to or if they have some terrible street layout with only non pedestrian roads. Usually I'd look on google street view to give myself peace of mind that even if I lose all my money as long as I have my plane ticket I can get home at the end but no street view for that area. I don't even strictly care if it's safe since whatever dumb mental hypothetical I'm coming up with won't happen and I won't need to do it, but I'd want to know if one can walk to it or if it's like heathrow where there simply isn't a way for pedestrians to enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

tekz posted:

I would recommend getting a registered cab from the airport. The prices are fixed and there's less of a chance of getting robbed/ripped off by the driver because their names, addresses and the date and time they picked you up are on file.

While actually in the city, you don't need to haggle with taxis/rickshaws, at least in Mumbai as they run on a meter. If they tell you they don't and attempt to get a fixed price from you, insist on a meter and tell them to gently caress off and find another cab if they refuse.

In any case, you might be better off hiring a driver from a tourist agency to ferry you around while in the city instead of relying on local cabs.

Ending: I got a cab from the airport, the guy cheated me but only for like 7 dollars and then I took uber cabs the entire rest of the time and that worked like magic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blinkman987 posted:

I'll post a trip report later, but the funniest thing was the fixed price taxi guy at the airport swindled me out of 50 rupees. Was too tired after my flight and forgot to check my receipt for the actual price.

I feel like my india experience was largely getting swindled for amounts of money that was literally a few cents in a way that made me angry but was almost no actual financial loss.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheImmigrant posted:

In my memory, my India experience can be reduced to being searched by redundant security guards at the entrances to banks, my office, shopping malls, grocery stores, government offices, airports, again at airports, train stations, and my apartment complex. And getting malaria.

I got a pre-paid taxi then the guy kept saying I owed him 3 dollars for a dip and I kept asking if he meant a tip and he kept saying dip and then he kicked me out of the car for not paying his dip and I still don't know what exactly that was all about and who scammed who.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

tekz posted:

Life is short and there's a lot of places to see in the world that aren't as horrific and infuriating as India. Im glad everyone learnt their lesson, goodnight and god bless.

Nah, india was super cool and I'm glad I went and a bunch of people being annoying and scamming 15 cents out of me a bunch of ways isn't so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

thethirdman posted:

Off the tourist drags people don't scam you really at all- I had a mechanic refuse a 20 rupee tip right after he, without prompting, tasted my fuel to tell me my oil mix was off, then cleaned and rebuilt my carburetor. Another person in the crowd around me told me I should pay him 30 rupees, and he wouldn't keep the change from a 50 rupee note.

I don't want to be too mean about this but a guy did a totally unscientific nonsense test of your car then told you he needed to do work that you didn't know you needed? You may have been more scammed than you think.

But again, 30 rupees is ~40 cents and I think that is a lot of india, the money scales are so absurdly different it sort of doesn't even matter. Maybe you needed your carburetor changed and maybe you didn't buy for 40 cents who even cares. If you were somewhere else and he was charging 500 bucks for it it'd feel like it mattered more.

• Locked thread