Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Is Adventure Time Puzzle Quest more like BADventure Time Puzzle Quest?

Does Marvel Puzzle Quest make you want to Hulk Smash your comic stash?

By Puzzle Quest, for Puzzle Quest
Play on your phone or through Steam... You can link your account to keep progress across both!

Official Website
Official Troop List

Gems of War comes from the original creators of Puzzle Quest and is a really sweet F2P version of the original. It's a classic style "match three" game, but adds a lot of strategy in the way you approach matches. You take turns making matches against an AI to defeat their team of dudes. There's also a good amount of humor in the card descriptions.

The Basics

Mila Kunis makes an appearance.

In the original Puzzle Quest, matching different colored gems earned you mana to cast spells you learned by leveling. Gems of War uses the same mana system, but rather than casting spells, you build a team of different monsters/character cards (it's mobile, after all) who provide the abilities you use. You create a team of 4 characters and, especially in the early game, can also use your avatar in a slot, who can choose a weapon with a unique skill/spell. To get new team members, use keys to open treasure chest. To get these keys, you can pay money (don't do this), earn in-game currency on your own, or join a guild and mooch off of their goodwill. You can pay 1,000 gold to get one key, or contribute 1,000 gold to the guild and earn 5-6. You need a HOT GUILD to make that kind of loot, though.

During a battle, you match any of the colored gems to add to your mana. Mana fills up in troop order... This means that if your first and second cards both use brown mana, the second card won't gain mana until the first one's is full. This means you generally want a team with diverse ability colors. Matching skulls does damage to the enemy.

Each card has 4 stats: Attack, Armor, Health, and Magic. Attack is the amount of damage the card does when you match skulls. Only the first card in your lineup attacks when you match skulls, but if your first card dies, then the second card attacks and so on. Damage subtracts from an enemies armor first, then health. Obviously, when you reduce an enemies health to zero, they die. A few cards have abilities that ignore armor and directly attack health. Magic affects abilities. For instance, an ability might do 4 + (Magic) damage or create 2 + (Magic) green gems.

Powering up!

Nothing says badass like flame stuff coming out of your eyes
Your character/avatar earns experience from winning battles. When you level up, you will sometimes increase a stat, but always get to choose between two different gem colors to level up. Each level you gain in a specific color gives an increased chance to gain double mana when you make a match in battle. Also, at specific color levels, you unlock new weapons (abilities) you can equip to use in battle.

You can also get outfits for your avatar... These outfits boost gold, soul, and/or experience gains. They are obtained either with gems or as a part of a bundle pack.

You level your cards up with souls. When they level up, they always gain at least one stat.

Currencies

If you're "Brian the Lucky", why is your sword broken?

Just like every F2P game, there are a bunch of different types of currency:

Gold: Used to fight ANY battle, used to open up new kingdoms (PvE content), used to buy normal keys (use to gain 3 cards, with at least one being rare), used to switch home kingdoms, used to enter the arena, and used to send money to your guild to get rewards. You earn gold through winning any battles and logging in each day. You also get gold from the kingdoms you've unlocked, but it's not a ton. PvP is the easiest way to get gold.

Souls: These are used to level up your cards. I might be wrong on this, but it takes roughly 2000-3000 souls to max a card (to level 15). You get ONE for every creature you defeat... Yeah. They are relatively hard to come by.

Glory: Glory is earned each day based on your PvP rank. Glory can be used to buy souls, buy treasure maps, and buy special weekly cards. Generally, the cards offered each day are only obtained through glory, though I've seen a few offered as parts of premium bundles.

Gems: These are the premium currency. You can buy

Modes of Play

There are three different ways to play: PvE Quests, PVP Constructed Team, and PVP. There's also a sort of fourth one with treasure maps.

PvE Quests: Earn some good cards after A LOT of effort.

He's sensitive about his nose, but ask him about his Bar Mitzvah.

These are basically worthless. There is an overworld map with a bunch of different kingdoms on it. Each kingdom has about 10-15 quests associated with them. Many quests have multiple parts to them and it costs a (mostly small) amount of gold to go on each quest. However, you generally only generate as much gold from these quests as you spend and the rewards are paltry (and I'm being generous). When you complete all of a kingdom's quests, though, you do earn an epic card for your team, but many of these are underwhelming. You can use the card list, or check the strategy section in the second post, to figure out which ones are worth it. Each kingdom costs an increasing amount of gold, so, until you've got scads of money coming in, you'll want to just pick the ones you want to farm the epics from.

Here's a different perspective on the PvE quests:

Toshimo posted:

...they unlock Challenges on completion, which give a whole poo poo ton of Souls, most of the Epics are really good, and they help level your kingdom, which is also good. I don't know why you'd call these worthless, but I'd say they are the exact opposite.

There is a tiered list of the Epics earned from kingdoms in the second post.

You also choose a home kingdom from the ones you've unlocked. Each kingdom gives a specific gem bonus when you match them. For instance, the goblin kingdom makes it so you earn 4 mana when matching green and purple gems rather than 3. Switching home kingdoms is cheap, so it's worth it to look at the team you're using and find a kingdom that supports your teams mana needs.

PvP Constructed: Use this to earn GOLD

This guy is definitely reinforcing my body issues

This is where you use your pool of cards to make a team that you use to attack other players. Each player makes a defending team that you'll face when you attack them, which the AI controls. That's the nuts and the bolts of it. Once you have a decent team, it's definitely worth it to start playing in this mode. It's the easiest way to get gold. In PvE you're lucky to net any gold, whereas you can make $1,000 in 2-4 matches. You do need to spend gold to attack, and it's more than matches cost in PvE, but I don't think I've had to pay more than $200-$300 gold. You make double what you spend.

Defense! As I said before, you pick a team that fights for you when you're attacked. You almost always lose, and the rewards for winning with the AI are tiny. Because I'm a nice guy, I set my defending team to just be my leader, so that people can just destroy him. I can't see any consequences for this, so I figure I'll keep it that way. When your AI loses, the attacker goes into a pool of opponents you can face down for a rematch. These are actually great because as far as I can tell, it only ever costs $50 to mount those revenge attacks.

Winning in this mode gets you stars which help you rank up from rank 15 to 1. You can lose stars, but not ranks, so it's not impossible to take a decent team far through the ranks.

Everyday, you earn "glory" based on your rank. This can be used to purchase souls (XP for your troops), treasure maps (see below), and unique card and weapons (different abilities for your main guy). Your best bet is to keep around 100 glory in stock for the unique that come out on Monday's and use any others for treasure maps.

PvP Arena: The best place for SOULS

You can get these doors at Menards, just ask for Melzukaab and he'll hook you up

Arena mode is similar to gauntlet modes from similar games. It costs 1000 gold to sign up, but you don't pay any extra for the battles you do in the arena. You pick a common card from a random selection of 3, a rare card from a selection of 3, and an ultra rare out of 3. Your leader rounds out the team. Since everyone in arena picks cards the same way, it's more or less fair. If you win 8 rounds, you get the maximum payout (1500 gold, 400 souls, 2 regular keys). If you lose twice, you get diminished rewards based on the number you did win. You only need to win twice to get your 1000 gold back.

The key to a good team is basically making sure your cards don't all use the same mana for their abilities. There are a few cards that are particularly effective that can be covered in strategy.

Treasure Maps: Free gold and other goodies.

This is actually concept art from the Tomb Raider reboot.

If you get a treasure map, whether it be from your guild, from the shop, or from a combo bonus (7 or more gem matches from one move), you can play this mode. Rather than a battle, it's just a more standard match 3. Instead of gems, you have copper, silver, and golden coins; money sacks; three levels of chests; and treasure vaults. If you match 3 coppers, it turns into 1 silver. 3 silvers make a gold, and so on. You start with 15 turns to make the most money. If you match 4, that move doesn't count against your turns. If you match 5 or more, your move doesn't count against you AND you gain another turn. Any matches that happen as a result of a move also triggers these. It's relatively easy to make these combos to get extra turns.

When your turns run out, you get gold, souls, glory, gems, and keys for each thing on the screen. Each coin/chest/vault has an increasing chance to give you better non-gold rewards, but you won't get a ton of anything outside of gold. Totally worth the time and makes you feel like a matching wizard as the combos chain together.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Troops to Look for...

delfin posted:

Epics earned from Completing Kingdoms

Great:
* Tau (Sword's Edge). Blue/Yellow, 11 mana to gain up to (5 + Red gems removed) Attack. There's no divisor on that gems removed -- it's 1:1, so a board full of red gems takes his Attack from 8 to 20+. Board churn and your turn ending means you're likely to take a hit on your next turn, but this is by far the best unit for building a one-hit killer quickly.
* Lady Sapphira (Whitehelm). Brown/Yellow, 13 mana to do up to 6 True Damage (ignoring armor) and gain 4 Life and 2 Attack. A good middle-of-the-pack unit to build up so that when your front-liner dies, she's ready to hit like a truck. True Damage is nice against heavily armored enemies.
* Atlanta (Divinion Fields). Purple/Yellow, 13 mana to do up to 6 damage to every enemy. That's a nice whittle-down unit. Also a high base Attack.
* Raven (Mist of Scales). Red/Blue, 10 mana to do up to 10 damage to an enemy, gain most of that back if the enemy dies. Pretty good damage/mana ratio, and his skill is situational but great when you plan around it (say, partnering with Atlanta to do spread-out damage and then Raven to pick off the scraps and be ready again in one match).

Good:
* Keghammer (Stormhelm). Brown/Yellow, 12 mana to do up to 10 damage to selected enemy and reduce its Magic by 3. Pretty nice for neutering an annoying enemy skill.
* Luther (Broken Spire). Blue/Brown, 13 mana to give all allies and himself up to 5 Attack. A nice all-around boost, though only one unit can attack via skulls and thus directly benefit from it at a time.
* Tyri (Zhul'kari). Green/Purple, 8 mana to remove all gems of a specific color and gain Gold. Fragile, but she has a high base Attack of 10, and her skill is really cheap. If you use it wisely you can set up 4s and 5s to feed the rest of your team and get more turns and be ready to use it again quickly.
* Alastair (Khetar). Blue/Purple, 14 mana to give all allies and himself up to (5 + (Purple Gems removed/4)). A situational unit that needs certain teammates like Paladin or Rowanne to really shine.
* Brian the Lucky (Zaejin). Green/Brown, 12 mana to give all allies +5 on a random attribute (Life, Armor, Attack or Magic). This one is really swingy because of its random nature. When it clicks (boosting Magic on something with a strong skill, boosting Attack on your front liner) it can be really useful. When it drops 5 Armor onto teammates instead, meh.
* Ferit (Karakoth). Purple/Brown, 10 mana to do up to 9 damage to the last enemy and drain its Mana. Not great, as you can't select a target, but pretty cheap for the damage it does and zeroing Mana can be a help if the bottom enemy has an annoying skill.
* Finley (Pridelands). Red/Blue, 12 mana to change all skulls to a selected color and gain Gold. Pretty weak in and of himself, but you can use him on a defense-oriented team to buy time by eliminating skulls, and his skill can set up 4s and 5s easily to feed your other troops.

Mediocre:
* Avina (Ghulvania). Red/Purple, 13 mana to do up to 11 damage to an enemy and collect 1 soul. A lot of mana for a decent directable attack, and Valkyrie's better for soul farming.
* Rowanne (Forest of Thorns). Blue/Green, 12 mana to do up to (7 + her Armor) damage, spread between all enemies randomly. With the right allies (Alastair, Templar, * Sparkgrinder) this can be boosted into a lot of damage -- but it's still random and you'll kick yourself when the spread doesn't go how you'd want. If enemies target her, she can be neutered pretty quickly.
* Emperina (Khaziel). Red/Brown, 14 mana to cleanse and heal an ally and give him up to 3 Life and Attack. If you have one unit that you really really want to pump up and keep alive, this is a good ally to have. But that's really situational, and you really have to build around a defensive team to make defense work. Very situational.
* Scarlett (Maugrim Woods). Red/Green, 14 mana to do up to 10 damage to an enemy, double if that enemy is a Beast. What counts as a Beast? You tell me -- it's never laid out specifically.
* Sparkgrinder (Adana). Red/Yellow, 12 mana to give one ally or himself up to 5 Attack and Armor. The Armor is pretty negligible, the Attack is not -- but Luther's right there to boost everyone's Attack instead of just one.
* Elwyn (Pan's Vale). Green/Yellow, 12 mana to destroy a row and column, doing 1 point per yellow gem destroyed to a random enemy. I love Boar Rider for a row-destroying skill, but this one doesn't give you another turn, so it's harder to use it to set up something good. Damage will generally be poor and random, though it will give you some mana back based on what you blow up. Ugh.

Also, cheap and Common/Rare units to watch out for:

* Alchemist (Adana). Red/Brown, 10 mana to turn a specific color to Yellow and gain Gold. Useful for gold farming, fairly cheap skill, and good for setting up Yellow 4s/5s if you have a Yellow teammate to benefit from it.
* Boar Rider (Zaejin). Green/Purple, 9 mana to destroy a row, do up to 8 damage to the first enemy and TAKE ANOTHER TURN. Unbelievably good for a Rare unit. Row destruction helps you set up skull matches and 4/5s, he does good damage, his skill is cheap to fill up and the extra turn changes strategy significantly.
* Bombardier (Khaziel). Red/Brown, 8 mana to explode a specific gem and do up to 6 damage to a random enemy. You get some mana from exploded gems and their neighbors, and clearing a 3x3 area can be strategically useful. Cheap skill.
* Frost Giant (Stormhelm). Blue/Yellow, 9 mana to do up to (5 + Skulls anywhere on the board) to a random enemy. Random target, but great for punishing enemy skills that put lots of skulls on the board.
* Goblin (Zaejin). Green, 6 mana to do up to 7 damage to a target and TAKE ANOTHER TURN. Cheap, good damage/mana ratio, extra turn, a great starter unit.
* Night Terror (Zhul'Kari). Red/Purple, 8 mana to do up to (8 + (Blue gems destroyed / 3)) damage to the weakest enemy. Great for taking out stragglers and enemies in the middle of a team with annoying skills.
* Paladin (Whitehelm). Green/Yellow, 11 mana to do up to (4 + my Armor) damage to an enemy. At level 15 that's a base of 14 damage and boosting his armor only adds to that, so he's a great rushdown kind of unit. Neutered a bit once he's taking hits, of course.
* Rex Warrior (Pridelands). Red/Blue, 8 mana to gain up to (3 + (Blue gems destroyed / 2)) Attack. Low Budget Tau, though not as efficient and more fragile.
* Rock Worm (Khaziel). Brown, 8 mana to do up to 7 damage to the last enemy and create 7 Brown gems. This is the enemy you will learn to HATE once you start playing Arena, because he and units like him can get on a serious roll sometimes. Cast skill, do damage, match 4 with the created gems, fill up skill again, repeat! Of course, sometimes he leaves 4s and 5s on the board for the opponent instead.
* Sabertooth Lion (Pridelands). Green/Blue, 9 mana to do up to 9 damage to an enemy, gain 2 Magic if it dies. A finishing touch unit like Raven -- if you start killing with him, his skill damage goes to 11, then 13, then 15...
* Satyr (Pan's Vale). Green, 9 mana to do up to 9 damage to the last enemy, TAKE ANOTHER TURN. Enough said?
* Templar (Whitehelm). Blue/Brown, 10 mana to give all allies up to (3 + (Red gems turned green / 5)) Armor. Situational, but a great tag-team partner for either Paladin (boost that Armor-based damage) or Goblin / Satyr (feeding them green gems).
* Valkyrie (Stormhelm). Red/Yellow, 10 mana to change selected color to Blue and gain Souls. Soul farmer, plus good for feeding your Blue troops.
* Wolf Knight (Sword's Edge). Brown/Yellow, 8 mana to do up to 4 True Damage, +3 if that enemy's health is already damaged. This is your ticket to taking down heavily armored enemies.

Arena Winners Guide

Moogle posted:

Gems of War arena infoburp:

I've found the best luck with going for straight/cheap hitters (targetting is a bonus) and taking out threat cards straight away - this usually means the glass cannon in position 3 (or the rock worm, dear lord the rock worm).

Once you've made your picks, it's best to exit out of the arena with the cross button and pick a new home kingdom to make the most of your mana (I.E. if your main hitter is a certain colour, or something is 8 mana to activate, pick a colour or two to get bonus mana on, for example if I've scooped up an rockworm and equip a black dagger I'll choose broken spire so both can activate on two matches instead of three). You can exit out of arena ONCE PICKING IS COMPLETE (never do it mid way or it'll pick for you) without penalty; just pick Arena and you'll be returned to where you were.

Changing kingdoms costs 50g, but it's worth it to give you a better shot at the 1500g.

Obviously try and cover your colours well (if you don't have a generator) by making use of your weapon swap. I like to use either the black dagger with a blue bonus, or the spellbook without a bonus so I can fill up other creatures on demand. Don't discount a boosted crude club either - every match being a +5 punch in the face for their leader is nice and handy if you'd like to hand them turns matching colours they don't have and chip away at their leader.

Usually it's best to chuck your hero in first place as he's usually the best at eating damage and not being that important, unless you have a legendary weapon or other ideas, in which case you don't need to read this anyway.

Here are some quick lists (shamelessly stolen from some chap on their forums here) to help with arena and kingdom selection:

Top Common Picks
• Goblin - nb: no need to boost green if this guy is your first pick.
• Reaver
• Rock Worm - nb: you shoud boost brown if you're using this one, can pick another brown/other colour if you're feeling frisky
• Satyr
• Pride Hunter

Top Rare Picks
• Boar Rider
• Frost Giant
• Owlbear
• Vampire Lord
• Warlock
• Wolf Knight

Top Ultra Picks
• Herd Master
• Grave Knight
• Sacred Guardian
• Blade Dancer

Mid Common Picks
• Centaur Scout
• Musketeer
• Scale Guard *Becomes top tier when paired with poison spreading troops, ability will do 12 damage for 7 cost*
• Skeleton
• Golem
• Warhound
• Lance Knight

Mid Rare Picks
• Alchemist
• Banshee
• Bombardier
• Dark Maiden * Top tier when paired with Scale Guard*
• Dwarf Lord
• Deep Borer
• Valkyrie
• Archon Statue *Top tier after taking 1 point of health damage, deals 13 damage*
• Paladin *Becomes low tier after losing some armor, use at your own risk*
• Templar
• Goblin Shaman * Top tier if common draft was Goblin, Satyr, Reaver or you want to use a green hero weapon*
• Night Terror
• Wight
• Griffon Knight
• Sabertooth Lion * Top tier after first ability kill*

Mid Ultra Picks
• Blast Cannon
• Flame Cannon
• Stone Giant
• Ancient Horror
• Treant
• Spider Queen
• War Sphinx
• Knight Corronet

Worst Common Picks
• Fortress Gate
• Ogre
• Ghoul
• Zombie
• Dwarven Miner
• Priestess
• Glade Warden
• Peasent
• Serpent *Can be mid tier when paired with a rare/ultra red user or hero weapon*

Worst Rare Picks
• Steam Turret
• Rhynax
• Ettin
• Pegasus
• Star gazer
• Acolyte
• Mist Stalker
• Poison Master *Mid tier when paired with Scale Guard*
• Nymph
• Siren
• Rex Warrior
• Dryad
• Hippogryph *Mid tier with Flesh Golem or Chimera, still a risky pick*
• Revenant

Worst Ultra Picks
• Black Beast
• Berserker
• Lamia
• Flesh Golem *Mid tier with Hippogryph*
• Chimera * Mid tier with Hippogryph or Scale Guard*

Kingdom Bonus List

Adana: Yellow/Red
Broken Tower: Blue/Brown
Dominion Fields: Purple/Yellow
Forest of Thorns: Green
Ghulvania : Red/Purple
Karakoth: Purple
Khaziel: Brown
Khetar: Purple/Blue
Mist of Scales: Blue/Red
Pan’s Vale: Yellow/Green
Pridelands: Red
Swords Edge: Blue/Yellow
Whitehelm: Yellow
Zaejin: Green/Brown
Zul’Kari: Purple/Green

nb I think the list is missing Dire Wolf and Druid - the former is a pain in the arse to fit into a team and therefore is a situational 'mid' for me, and the latter is a pain in the arse to fight AGAINST but does good damage and so is top/mid.

STRATEGERY!

Interesting Team Comps

Goblin Brigade:

This is one of the few teams where multiple creatures from the same kingdom work well together. If you've unlocked the Zaejin kingdom, set your banner to it.

Ideally:
* Deepstone Weapon (Glory Reward) - 9 Blue Mana - Explode a gem and destroy that row.
* Goblin Shaman - 10 Purple/Brown Mana to create 4 + (magic) green gems. Then take an extra turn.
* Goblin - 6 Green Mana to deal 2 + (magic) damage to a target of your choice. Then take an extra turn.
* Goblin Rocket (Glory reward) - 9 Red/Yellow Mana to explode a gem, deal 3 + (magic) damage to an enemy at random, 1 damage to any adjacent enemies. Take an extra turn.

Realistically:
* Icy Glaive - 10 Yellow Mana - Deal 2 damage to an enemy and remove all red gems to boost damage (3:1)
* Goblin Shaman - 10 Purple/Brown Mana to create 4 + (magic) green gems. Then take an extra turn.
* Goblin - 6 Green Mana to deal 2 + (magic) damage to a target of your choice. Then take an extra turn.
* Deep Borer - 8 Red/Blue Mana - Destroy a column and create 3 + (magic) brown gems.

I feel bad posting this since the Deepstone and Goblin Rocket are rewards that have already passed, but I think you might still be able to pull the rocket as an ultra rare. This team is insane. I think I've only lost 1 match using this team comp. It's biggest strength is having no mana overlap whatsoever. Also, the two targeted explosions are fantastic for building mana or setting up combos, particularly the rocket, since you get a turn right after the explosion. Goblin is honestly one of the best early cheap cards you can get, since 6 mana to do targeted damage AND take another turn is incredibly useful. Whenever your Goblin ability is up, use it immediately. There is zero advantage to holding on to it, as your other abilities can easily recharge it. Your first priority should be powering up the rocket. Use the gem explosion to target a spot where (1) you can get a combo right away, (2) charge up your other abilities, preferably your Shaman, since it needs the most mana, or (3) blast a bunch of skulls. So, powering the Rocket is your first priority, followed by the Goblin Shaman. You should be able to combo from there right into a Goblin attack and then take another turn to hopefully recharge your Goblin again. Try to avoid matching greens outright, since you will be able to charge the Goblin pretty easily with your Rocket and Shaman. Never match for blue unless you've got nothing else to do but use your weapon ability. The targeted explosion can be helpful in fueling your team, but the lack of an extra turn both ignores the strength of the rest of your team and can lead to accidental extra turn setups for your opponent.

As far as substitutes for the Goblin Rocket and Deepstone are concerned, resist the urge to put the other "Take an extra turn" Goblin in there. Even if you put it at the back of your team so that it doesn't take mana from your Goblin and Shaman, it's ability won't come up enough for it to justify the slot. Your leader with the Icy Glaive that you get from Air Mastery 5 is a decent substitute since it will give you something to justify yellow gems and also put the reds you don't need to use. A Deep Borer would be a decent pick for your fourth slot. 8 Blue or Red mana lets you destroy a column (netting 80% mana) and puts 3 + (magic) brown mana on the table. No extra turn, but it can still help set up your Shaman to essentially own the table.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 23, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

PvE Quests:
These are basically worthless. There is an overworld map with a bunch of different kingdoms on it. Each kingdom has about 10-15 quests associated with them. Many quests have multiple parts to them and it costs a (mostly small) amount of gold to go on each quest. However, you generally only generate as much gold from these quests as you spend and the rewards are paltry (and I'm being generous). When you complete all of a kingdom's quests, though, you do earn a Legendary card for your team, but many of these are underwhelming. You can use the card list, or check the strategy section in the second post, to figure out which ones are worth it.

You get Epics, not Legendaries, they unlock Challenges on completion, which give a whole poo poo ton of Souls, most of the Epics are really good, and they help level your kingdom, which is also good. I don't know why you'd call these worthless, but I'd say they are the exact opposite.

Also, here's a map for the cool kids of all the kingdoms, their bonuses, and tributes:

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

I don't know why you'd call these worthless, but I'd say they are the exact opposite.

Maybe not worthless, but I still think they aren't worth people's time outside of the epics.

The challenges are pretty boring. You fight the same battles, with increasing difficulty, five times and get maybe 200 souls. Some of the harder fights are really stacked against you, especially when you've just started playing.

If you're looking for souls, the generally agreed upon best method is the arena. I can't it's 8 battles and you get 400 souls, a 500 gold profit, and 2 keys. Plus, you're not fighting the same teams over and over, so it feels less like a grind.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
The best reason to complete Challenges and Quests is to level up your kingdom. Which is god-awful boring, and only offers a return for PVP. If you can level enough troops to 15, then gently caress the Challenges and Quests.

Kingdom level 3 is fairly good. +5 to all masteries. Levels 1 and 2 offer more stats for your troops. So if you stack banner bonuses with troops from that kingdom and kingdom level bonuses, you can get an OK advantage. Unfortunately most Kingdoms don't offer a set of troops that would make a good team. They often share colors, for one thing. And many troops are just bad.

Arena for Souls and Gold. PVP for even more gold! Quests for when you are bored of those two and want to read Blizzard level pop culture references. Challenges for when you hate yourself and want to take it out on yourself with a match three game.

Arena is the best mode, offering the challenge of drafting, the limitations of using sub-optimal troops, and giving you a reason to use the Hero's huge weapon selection.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Did a second goon guild ever get created? I know the original one is always full with people waiting, and I'd be down for a second one for the sweet guild $$$ opportunities

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
New guy here, been using these two lists from the Android Gaming thread:

Quest Rewards
Troops

I'm sure there's more stuff buried in that thread.

Few questions:

Should I spend gold on keys?
My hero dude is lvl 19 and I'm wrecking teams 10+ levels above me. How do you know when to skip? Could I take on a lvl 50?
How's that second guild coming along? edit: beaten

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Usually the best use of gold is to buff your guild. I got lucky and got in the #6 guild. I donate about 5k-10k gold a day. With the whole guild working together we usually get 20 diamonds, 2 maps, and 6 keys a day. And my masteries are all at like 50

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I'm level 14 and can't seem to beat Sheggra. What sort of setup should I be going in with?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

FadedReality posted:

I'm level 14 and can't seem to beat Sheggra. What sort of setup should I be going in with?

If Sheggra is the last boss of the 1st town, you can just skip it and come back after you do some other stuff (like start a 2nd town). It's a much higher difficulty than the starting parts of other towns.

If you really want to tango with it, use Hero + Goblin/Boar Rider/Rocket Goblin + Something that eats red gems (Templar/Reaver).

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

FadedReality posted:

What units are you using and which do you have?

Edit: or just play arena once or twice and level up your units.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Shwqa posted:

What units are you using and which do you have?

Edit: or just play arena once or twice and level up your units.

You can't access the Arena until you beat Sheggra :shepicide:

The closest I've gotten (only Sheggra left with 12 HP and me down to one guy) was with Zhulkari banner, Hunter's Spear on my hero, Reaver, Goblin Shaman, and Archon Statue.

I have: Fortress Gate, Acolyte, Priestess, Centaur Scout, Dwarven Miner, Bombardier, Scale Guard, Satyr, Zombie, Banshee, Flesh Golem, Dire Wolf, Rex Warrior, Frost Giant, Peasant, Lance Knight, Warhound, Goblin

I wasted about 7,000 gold on keys before I realized I should probably hold onto most of it.

e: also, wasn't aware levelling one color got you better weapons so I spread my points all around. Would I be better off just restarting if I can?

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 17, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

FadedReality posted:

You can't access the Arena until you beat Sheggra :shepicide:

The closest I've gotten (only Sheggra left with 12 HP and me down to one guy) was with Zhulkari banner, Hunter's Spear on my hero, Reaver, Goblin Shaman, and Archon Statue.

I have: Fortress Gate, Acolyte, Priestess, Centaur Scout, Dwarven Miner, Bombardier, Scale Guard, Satyr, Zombie, Banshee, Flesh Golem, Dire Wolf, Rex Warrior, Frost Giant, Peasant, Lance Knight, Warhound, Goblin

I wasted about 7,000 gold on keys before I realized I should probably hold onto most of it.

e: also, wasn't aware levelling one color got you better weapons so I spread my points all around. Would I be better off just restarting if I can?

Doesn't Sheggra make a bunch of skulls? Frost giant deals 1 extra damage for each skull on the board.

Also don't worry too much about your level mastery. It seems random to what you can pick each level.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Shwqa posted:

Doesn't Sheggra make a bunch of skulls? Frost giant deals 1 extra damage for each skull on the board.

Also don't worry too much about your level mastery. It seems random to what you can pick each level.

YES that did it! Frost Giant with the 18 damage last turn win. Arena riches here I come!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

FadedReality posted:

YES that did it! Frost Giant with the 18 damage last turn win. Arena riches here I come!
Awesome!

Make sure you got to setting and turn on detailed help. It is the only way to see the cost of skills and the boost ratios they receive.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
What's the Goon guilds name and how do I get in?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

yeah how do i gem some wars quest?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Last trip report in the Android thread Gem Boys was full up with actually active players with a 14 day inactive kick rule.

Someone with 3,000 gold should make a new guild so I can leave this pubbie one and stop showering ungrateful plebs with my gold donations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

FadedReality posted:

Last trip report in the Android thread Gem Boys was full up with actually active players with a 14 day inactive kick rule.

Someone with 3,000 gold should make a new guild so I can leave this pubbie one and stop showering ungrateful plebs with my gold donations.

I think it's only 1000 gold. I can make it if no one else will, anyone got a name?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Goons of War

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
why tf this poo poo incompatible with my phone ive got a good phone gently caress you i wanna play puzzle quest

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gilok posted:

Goons of War

Already taken, apparently?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Can anyone with a gold bonus armor confirm/deny whether it lets you break the 105 gold per-fight cap?

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
If there is a guild you can invite me. Code: Tonyhomo

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Toshimo posted:

Can anyone with a gold bonus armor confirm/deny whether it lets you break the 105 gold per-fight cap?

Yeah I've gotten 150-something before with my big cascade team. I'm regularly over 105 with that team and a 50% gold boost.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Guild name ideas:
The Gem Dandies
Gem Blossoms
Gem Rats

(Code: REFRACTION)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Recycled Karma posted:

Guild name ideas:
The Gem Dandies
Gem Blossoms
Gem Rats

(Code: REFRACTION)

Soul Men

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'll, finally, the goon second goon guild tonight with whatever names people seem to like most.
I got the gold to throw at a guild and enough to toss at some upgrades

Sori for the delay glad this thread is going though
Invites out by 6pm pst

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Gem Session
Gem Class Heroes

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I joined a pubbie guild that had 29/30 members, and gently caress these dudes simply refuse to finish guild quests. I want my loving keys assholes :argh:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Would like an invite (WALLETS) whenever the guild gets made.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh dang there two weapons to buy with glory this week.

Staff of maddness looks fun but is a joke. 16 mana to deal (magic)+0 damage to all enemies and steal one skill from each is just too much cost for too little. Probably could have been around 12-14 cost.

Farsight orb actually looks quite good. With the right kingdom you can charge it up in two matches. 7 orbs to blue isn't as good as other orb generating unit (usually max at 10 orbs), but the skill up balances that out. And blue is a really important color. A lot of strong units have blue.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 17, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shwqa posted:

Oh dang there two weapons to buy with glory this week.

Staff of maddness looks fun but is a joke. 16 mana to deal (magic)+0 damage to all enemies and steal one skill from each is just too much cost for too little. Probably could have been around 12-14 cost.

It'll be a nice option to have for Arena.

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob
Hah, I was about to volunteer to set up the second guild.

Toss an invite over to Geldinham once it's up. Do you need to upgrade the guild to increase its size?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

TotallyUnoriginal posted:

Hah, I was about to volunteer to set up the second guild.

Toss an invite over to Geldinham once it's up. Do you need to upgrade the guild to increase its size?

I believe so yes. It is based on trophies. And today everyone is likely to get a lot of trophies trying to get to rank 1.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
My invite code is FADEDREALITY when the time comes.

How about Gem Men? :smug:

e: whoops that is literally a worse version of Toshimo's idea.

Geem Squad I dunno I'm tired

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 17, 2015

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I downloaded this game earlier today just to try it out, now I can't stop playing. Please help.

If there's room I'll take a guild invite when it is ready. (DAVESKISA)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Posting for a guild invite when it gets going: BLUNTZKRIEG 420

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Give me about 7 hours to be off and invites will be going out. I'll post with info after I got the first wave of invites out.
Not sure how the ranks or whatever works but we'll hammer all that crap out. Need goons to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamSmoothie
Nov 17, 2007
The other white meat is now a tasty beverage!
This dumb game eats so much time...

I'll take an guild invite sooner or later, too. Code is HAMSMOOTHIE