Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Jibo posted:

I'm officially the number 1 trophy getter for Gem Boiz. :smugdog:

Arena is just too much fun and the steady gold and soul income from it is great.

Donglover does arena all day erry day :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
A tip for Arena: Color balance is important, but so is having multiple damage sources. If you go in with a team that's too heavily focused on support skills, you can get rolled pretty easily.

For example, I went into Arena just now with a perfectly color-balanced squad and a plan:
Hero w/Crossbow of Exile (Green, 7 true damage to an enemy)
Serpent (Blue, create 7 red gems, poison first two enemies)
Valkyrie (Red/Yellow, convert color to blue, gain souls)
Grave Knight (Brown/Purple, destroy armor, do 3 damage)

Serpent and Valkyrie feed each other. Poison leeches away the health of enemies to where Crossbow's true damage can one-shot them, and Grave Knight's special neuters armor and can kill a heavily poisoned foe, otherwise setting them up for Skull matches to kill them. Every gem match feeds mana to someone. Sounds great, right?

Sure. But what happens when the Hero drops? Serpent's and Valkyrie's skills feed each other _but don't directly damage anyone_ and can't poison anyone past the first two slots. They can set up favorable boards for skulls, but only if skulls are on the board in the right places. So the other team can end up with fresh guys on the bottom with damaging skills, no way to easily kill them off, and death by attrition. It's a decent core for farming souls somewhere else, but run out of Arena in three fights.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Can I get an invite to the Goon guild? Invite code is HEXJACKAL

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

delfin posted:

A tip for Arena: Color balance is important, but so is having multiple damage sources. If you go in with a team that's too heavily focused on support skills, you can get rolled pretty easily.

For example, I went into Arena just now with a perfectly color-balanced squad and a plan:
Hero w/Crossbow of Exile (Green, 7 true damage to an enemy)
Serpent (Blue, create 7 red gems, poison first two enemies)
Valkyrie (Red/Yellow, convert color to blue, gain souls)
Grave Knight (Brown/Purple, destroy armor, do 3 damage)

Serpent and Valkyrie feed each other. Poison leeches away the health of enemies to where Crossbow's true damage can one-shot them, and Grave Knight's special neuters armor and can kill a heavily poisoned foe, otherwise setting them up for Skull matches to kill them. Every gem match feeds mana to someone. Sounds great, right?

Sure. But what happens when the Hero drops? Serpent's and Valkyrie's skills feed each other _but don't directly damage anyone_ and can't poison anyone past the first two slots. They can set up favorable boards for skulls, but only if skulls are on the board in the right places. So the other team can end up with fresh guys on the bottom with damaging skills, no way to easily kill them off, and death by attrition. It's a decent core for farming souls somewhere else, but run out of Arena in three fights.

I don't know the stats on all those guys, but I'd probably put Grave Knight in slot 1 since he seems the most expendable, especially with your poison/true damage set up. I might even replace him with a better brown/purp. Hero either in slot two to cover when he dies, or in slot four to soak up "damage last enemy" powers.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gilok posted:

I don't know the stats on all those guys, but I'd probably put Grave Knight in slot 1 since he seems the most expendable, especially with your poison/true damage set up. I might even replace him with a better brown/purp. Hero either in slot two to cover when he dies, or in slot four to soak up "damage last enemy" powers.

Grave knight is the least expendable of the units he has, which I think is partially his point. Serpent and Valkyrie don't do very much to win you matches.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
They can -- if they're feeding the right units. Say, Serpent feeding a Red unit with a good damaging skill or Valkyrie feeding a Blue one. The trick with Arena is balancing utility players like those or, say, War Sphinx with troops that simply hit hard. By going for a True Damage / Poison finesse game (which, granted, was based on the choices Arena gave me in the first place, which weren't great) I overspecialized and paid for it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

It seems like every time I pick Valkyrie or one of the other color converters in it always backfires, and my last pick doesn't include a unit with the right color.

That becomes less of a problem as you unlock better weapons for your hero I guess.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do you get gold? I'm not recouping my gold costs on doing quests.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

delfin posted:

They can -- if they're feeding the right units. Say, Serpent feeding a Red unit with a good damaging skill or Valkyrie feeding a Blue one. The trick with Arena is balancing utility players like those or, say, War Sphinx with troops that simply hit hard. By going for a True Damage / Poison finesse game (which, granted, was based on the choices Arena gave me in the first place, which weren't great) I overspecialized and paid for it.

Occasionally, sure, but those utility units are largely useless if you don't have the right units to pair them with. Serpent, for example, is your first pick, so there's a high chance that you won't get anything for it to feed. Sometimes it's still the best of bad choices, but making your picks based on potential synergy isn't a sound strategy. I'd rather have a good unit with overlapping colors than a bad one that has a color to itself.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
If we still have room an a guild I'll take an invite on: SELIOUS

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Zotix posted:

How do you get gold? I'm not recouping my gold costs on doing quests.

PVP is double-or-nothing. Best for gold. Arena isn't bad either.

Quests are a short term gold loss.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I could use an invite for DEPENDS.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Bandire posted:

It seems like every time I pick Valkyrie or one of the other color converters in it always backfires, and my last pick doesn't include a unit with the right color.

That becomes less of a problem as you unlock better weapons for your hero I guess.

A great team combo will trump the durability of the hero. Its sometimes better to ditch the hero for combos that can endlessly loop. A team like Venoxia, Brian the Lucky, Webspinner, and Valkyrie will have unlimited turns after a couple rounds.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Pell posted:

A great team combo will trump the durability of the hero. Its sometimes better to ditch the hero for combos that can endlessly loop. A team like Venoxia, Brian the Lucky, Webspinner, and Valkyrie will have unlimited turns after a couple rounds.

They are talking about Arena there. You can't ditch the hero (or get Epics/Legendaries) in Arena.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

The Pell posted:

Agreed, for general fighting and for PvP. Webspinner / Venoxia is a sick combination. But in Arena, the Hero is a bit more important.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
I suck at reading comprehension

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

gromdul posted:

This team is the best. I plowed through three arenas last night to finish leveling them all to 15. So many extra turns! It takes a little getting used to always wanting to cast spells first, even over skulls or match four or fives. What kingdom do you use? Unfortunately brown/purple doesn't exist, which would be ideal. Double blue to power up Deep Stone in two matches, or double brown or purple, which would still be three matches for the Shaman. Green seems superfluous since Goblin is only 6 to power up.

Running through the Zaejin quests now with a powered up Goblin team. Good fun!

I've just stuck with the Zaejin kingdom. I'm not positive it's the right decision, but I thought it about it like this... Yeah, having the extra point to green seems pointless because it will still take two matches to power up the Goblin. But! When you've got your Goblin sitting at 4 or 5 mana, you can easily grab the last 1 or 2 with a Rocket or Deepstone explosion. It says explosions only give you an 80% return, but they round up, so it's worked out so far.

I'd still like to try double brown, but I've been successful so far, so I don't want to rock the boat.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Really pissed with the game right now
My arena team was....Skelton, unicorn, Berserker

2 matches in a row I got 2 turns in before everything that dropped kept giving the ai extra turns and filling them up.
I take a turn praying for a mana surge and nothing
A few turns later my whole team is dead.
Every time they did anything.... Extra turn mana surge

I know it's possible. I'm being biased. But seriously? Fuckin hell

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Not the greatest arena team, not a huge fan of berserker, and guessing you meant pegasus not unicorn? Regardless it can definitely get streaky. I try and remember the games I've had where I've filled up all four of my cards before they got a chance to go and I just demolished them while barely taking any damage. It is definitely frustrating to be purposefully trying to use up the last of the gem color they need and have every move add a new option for them.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 21, 2015

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah.
That druid though. If you aren't rocking a high armor team that dude wrecks. 12 damage cheap

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

DARPA Dad posted:

Can I get an invite to the Goon guild? Invite code is HEXJACKAL

I'm dumb and didn't realize I had to leave my public clan. Invite please

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
What does mana surge do?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Tony Homo posted:

What does mana surge do?

Gives bonus mana.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Requesting invite code is uguu

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Ragingsheep posted:

Gives bonus mana.

To clarify it gives double mana. You get it every time you match 5+ and have the % chance based on your mastery of that color every time you match.

grayb
Jan 18, 2008
I've completed two kingdoms and want in on the sweet guild action! Throw me an invite, code is "jazrael".

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got back to the thread, and have sent more Acme Gooniversity invites.

Turns out my invite code is FNIZ. It's Game Center that's BetterWeirdThanDead.

Bulky Brute
Aug 23, 2004
I'm a horrible extreme leftist moron who developed my political opinions through a long and trying process of smelling my own farts until my brain died. Please ignore all my stupid posts---------->
Please invite BOLCHELIEBER :)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I've put together a team that can farm up a ton of gold and souls. Is there a preferred level for just straight-up farming? Fairly cheap to run, not too difficult?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Challenges and PVP I guess. I do Arena for farming personally but that doesn't work with an assembled team.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

drat I didn't think guild space would be this big of issue. I would definitely join a public guild in the meantime. Not being in a guild makes the game much slower.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there some kind of limit to the amount of gold you can get per battle using skills like Alchemist, etc? My Challenge battles keep giving me exactly 105 gold, and my Invade wins keep giving me exactly 100 gold over the listed reward.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DaveWoo posted:

Is there some kind of limit to the amount of gold you can get per battle using skills like Alchemist, etc? My Challenge battles keep giving me exactly 105 gold, and my Invade wins keep giving me exactly 100 gold over the listed reward.

105 is the pre-armor cap for all fights (PvP bounty gets added to this).

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
We really need to set up a fourth guild. The gem boiz have only one invite slot available.

EDIT: nvm.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 21, 2015

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

105 is the pre-armor cap for all fights (PvP bounty gets added to this).

Well, that's kind of a bummer. What's the point of even having skills that generate gold if you can't exploit the gently caress out of them?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DaveWoo posted:

Well, that's kind of a bummer. What's the point of even having skills that generate gold if you can't exploit the gently caress out of them?

The gold skills are useless for generating gold, but are great at gem switching.

But, yeah, they just don't want people like us generating 1000+ gold/fight.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Selious posted:

If we still have room an a guild I'll take an invite on: SELIOUS

Invite sent to you. Sorry to the other people. There are just too many people and too few openings. If anyone has the gold, they should consider making a fourth goon guild.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Obscil posted:

Invite sent to you. Sorry to the other people. There are just too many people and too few openings. If anyone has the gold, they should consider making a fourth goon guild.

I just went through the list of recent people and they either already all got invites or joined pubbie guilds because most of them it said were in a guild already.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
They need to increase the guild member cap to not be so drat low at the beginning guild levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I just went through the list of recent people and they either already all got invites or joined pubbie guilds because most of them it said were in a guild already.

Huh. I only checked two people cause the second person was available for an invite. I guessed I just assumed all of the people who posted later didn't get an invite.