Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

limited posted:

I've tossed up a open-invite guild Belt-Fed Crossbow for anyone looking for spots. Only level 1 so far, so only ten slots, grab 'em while you can. I'll prune as and when I learn what the hell to do with the guild controls.

I will take an invite, since as near I can tell there is no way to actually search for a guild? Invite code is ARBETOR_1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Bandire posted:

Invited to Gem Boiz. Seraph is getting booted too, so we still have an open spot if there's anyone else out there.

I could use an invite. Invite code is ARBETOR_1.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

code:
Floor 1
Rare room: Unlock scroll
Ultra-rare room: Power scroll
Epic room: Armor scroll
Legendary room: Haste scroll

Floor 2
Rare room: Armor scroll
Ultra-rare room: Armor scroll
Epic room: Life scroll
Legendary room: Unlock scroll

Floor 3
Rare room: Armor scroll
Ultra-rare room: Life scroll
Epic room: Unlock scroll
Legendary room: Fireball scroll

Floor 4
Rare room: Unlock scroll
Ultra-rare room: Armor scroll
Epic room: Attack scroll
Legendary room: Armor scroll
Just a bunch'a boons.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I have been using:

Mountain Crusher +9 (Titan)
Tesla
Queen Ysabelle
Possessed King
Trident Banner

Queen Ysabelle to buff armor passively and actively, and generate mana. Tesla for damage, hero for tanking, and Possessed King for general mayhem.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Floor 18:
R - Unlock
UR - Haste
E - Life
L - Luck

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Mana color for defense teams is irrelevant, the focus should be on troop variety first, and anti-color teams second. A good example here is using a dwarf team on red day, taking advantage of Lord Ironbeard's bonus damage against red troops.

Scoring on offense is very opaque. It factors in:

Number of moves (this includes any time you swap gems or cast a spell, so if you make a four match for the gold before you finish the last enemy, you lose points)
Damage efficiency (ratio of your damage dealt to damage received)
Mana efficiency (ratio of your mana collected to enemy mana collected)
Troops left alive

You also get bonus points for matching troop colors to daily color. The factor here is technically based on guild statue level, but Gem Boiz is at +50% per matching troop for all colors.

https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/guild-wars-point-scoring-for-battles-and-you/28179

There is a write-up from the official forums on guild wars scoring.

Just remember that you get more points by winning with a rainbow team then you do losing with an on-color team.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Someone used to do write ups at the start of the week about the purchasable arcane trait stone, and I found them very helpful when I was starting out, so I figured I would try my hand at writing one. If anyone has additional insight, please chip in.

So for the week of 11/26, the glory arcane is blue/brown (Shield) - (300 glory for one stone).

Key troops:
Emperor Khorvash (Legendary) - This guy is essential, a major component on a large number of teams. Traits give him bonus skill points when in the first slot, and his second trait gives him armored, making him a solid tank. His final trait randomly stuns enemies on 4 and 5 gem matches. Combine all of this with one of the best spell effects in the game, dealing true damage, stunning, and draining mana, and you have one of the most useful cards in the game. Seriously, this guy is so useful that if you don't have him yet, I would recommend reserving the 16 trait stones you need to trait him fully.

Lady Ironbeard (Epic) - Useful on dwarf teams, she can do significant damage in the right hands, especially with someone along to increase her armor. Her traits provide immunity to all status effects and armored, although using her as a tank can reduce her damage potential. There are other dwarves (like Dwarven Gate) that make better tanks.

Other notables:
Luther (Epic) - Makes a good tank and buffer, and you should have him from the Broken Spire quests. His utility falls off later, since there are other troops that do what he does better (better utility tanks like Emperor, better pure tanks, and increasing everyone's attack is usually less useful then increasing just the first slot's), but useful while building your collection.

Forest troll (Epic) - Standard troll, generates green gems, has barkskin for tankiness. Often seen on Queen Mab and Kraken teams.

Other legendaries:
Behemoth - Never used him. Spell is unimpressive, and his last trait can give him a lot of hp, but without a proper tanking trait it tends to get torn up very quickly.
Chief Stronghorn - Never seen him used at all. His trait buffs tauros on 4 and 5 gem matches, which might be useful if there were any tauros worth using .
Leviathan - Useful spell for the dispel and the rearrange. Final trait is OK.
The Deep King - Similar problems to Chief Stronghorn, but because he is from Sea of Sorrows, traiting him will be useful when delving.

Others that might have utility:
Ice Golem (Tank and freeze)
Bone Daemon (Summoned by Summoner, bonestorms)
Royal Engineer (Summons, buffs, mustache)
Templar (Tank, buffs, red denial)
Warlock (Purple denial, necromancy)

Finally, Doomclaw, Stonehammer, and Megavore are the mythics that use Shield arcanes. I have no thoughts on any of these, except that I hate Megavore with a passion.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

For the week of 12/03, the glory arcane is yellow/brown (Mountain) - (400 glory for two stones).

Key troops:
Gorgotha (Legendary) - Board clearing explosion and self cleans on cast, 75% skull damage reduction in the traits. Although the explosion nerf has hurt Gorgotha's utility a little, the high skull damage reduction and the board control is still very useful.

The Great Maw (Legendary) - Single cast devour. One of the only guaranteed devours in the game, the 24 mana cost and lack of tank trait make The Great Maw an on/off troop. Either you get its spell off and roll the opponent, or it melts and you have an uphill battle.

Wrath (Legendary) - Double converter with wrath and ally enrage and enemy burn, combined with a really entertaining final trait. The closest thing it has to a tank trait is a skull damage reflect, so it will melt very quickly, especially if you leave a board full of skulls for the opponent to use. (Wrath, Divinia, Scylla, Possessed King makes for a fun, quick pvp team that also farms maps (farming maps is useless)).

Other notables:
Anubite Warrior (Ultra-Rare) - Can be useful as a staller.
Desert Mantis (Ultra-Rare) - OK tank, generates gems that can self-fill.
Dragonian Monk (Ultra-Rare) - Makes a good non-legendary defensive troop on a dragon team.
Bulette (Rare) - Bane #1 of delve teams. 50% skull damage reduction and a surprisingly powerful spell, enemy re-order, damage, and a 50% chance of devour.
Cockatrice (Rare) - Mana drain, entangle, and the ability to self-fill.
Dust Devil (Rare) - Bane #2 of delve teams. Starts with full mana, does scratch damage and rearranges enemies.

Other legendaries:
Artema - OK tank when you are forced to use centaurs.
King Mikhail - OK tank when you are forced to use Urska.

Finally, Mountain arcane is one of the most commonly used for mythics. Stonehammer, Famine, Gard's Avatar, Ubastet, and Scorpius currently use it. Ubastet is still a very strong mythic, because his damage is high, and the insta-kill is easy to trigger. Famine is still scary on mana-drain focused teams. Gard's Avatar is pretty mediocre. I feel like scorpius should get more use, but his high mana cost and harder to trigger insta-kill means he is very situational. Stonehammer would make an OK tank for a dwarf team, except Dwarven Gate is just so good at that position.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Maugrim posted:

I attempted a pet rescue, only won one battle but unlocked a peace pigeon. What is the "x2 team bonus" it gives me?

When you assemble teams with certain matching troops, you get a bonus. The bonus starts at 2 troops from the same kingdom, 3 troops of the same type (undead, elemental, etc.), or 4 troops that share a mana color. The Peace Pigeon, for example, increases the stat bonus you get if you have 3 or more divine troops in a team. The bonus for divine troops is a few points of life and armor.

And this week is tower of doom, so here is what I have from chat on the first four floors:

Floor 1
Rare room: ?
Ultra-rare room: ?
Epic room: Unlock
Legendary room: ?

Floor 2
Rare room: ?
Ultra-rare room: ?
Legendary room: ?

Floor 3
Rare room: Attack
Ultra-rare room: Haste
Epic room: Haste
Legendary room: Unlock

Floor 4
Rare room: Life
Ultra-rare room: Haste
Legendary room: Armor

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Ultimate Mango posted:

So how do we increase attack over a hundred really fast?

My first thoughts are Earth's Fury if facing high level troops, and Cauldron otherwise. Ethereal Sentry could also work, but it shares colors with High King.

New Mythic should be around 35 attack with good kingdom bonuses and the guild bonuses. Earth's Fury would get him over 100 when stripping ~200 armor in one cast, and Cauldron would work with two casts. Ethereal Sentry would get attack to 78 in one cast (with my stat bonuses, assuming no damage yet).

The only goblin that can increase attack is Princess Fizzbang, which is too unreliable to try.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

For the week of December 10, the arcane of the week is Blue/Purple (Spirit). 300 glory for one trait stone.

Key Troops:

Psion (Legendary) - The premier mana control troop. Drains mana from all enemies with the spell, and steals mana on skull damage. Unfortunately needs to be up front to steal mana, and has no tanking traits. Pair with Emperor Khorvash and Famine, round out with Ragnagord for explosions, to create a team that can be absolutely infuriating on defense.
Queen Mab (Legendary) - With freeze on 4 and 5 gem matches she is a cornerstone of a number of teams, especially as a counter to goblin teams. Key to the Justice League Team (Emperor Khorvash, Justice, Valkyrie, Queen Mab).
Scylla (Legendary) - Bonestorms on 4 and 5 gem matches, lethal damage and submerge from the spell. The bonestorms can be key to skull damage focused teams (the map farming team from last week.) (Side question: Are we getting Charybdis?)
Azura (Epic) - Dispel and explode, along with a random stat reduction. Very useful mana generator.

Other Notables:

Lady Anariel (Epic) - Self filling buffer that also generates green
Morthani's Will (Epic) - Tanking mana and armor thief
Princess Fizzbang (Epic) - One half of nearly every high end goblin team, with Nobend Brothers
Sea Witch (Epic) - Similar to Lady Anariel, fills brown instead of green.
Spiritdancer (Ultra-rare) - Transform selected color, with a spirit fox summon.
War Sphinx (Ultra-rare) - A jumble and bonus turn can actually be surprisingly useful.
Acolyte (Rare) - Easy low rarity source of bonus souls.
Poison Master (Rare) - Explodes greens, useful to fill out a rainbow team sometimes.

Other Legendaries:

Abhorath - Full board wipe, heal and gain attack. The full board wipe is a little too unpredictable to serve as board control, and heal to full is less useful then gaining flat health.
Lust - A directed charm seems like a great way to punish buffed attack values, and transform can be a great way to neuter dangerous enemies. Unfortunately the 40% chance is a little too low to rely on, and charm fails to work in too many circumstances to use in earnest. (entangle? no charm. Debuff attack? no charm. Killed adjacent enemies already? no charm.)

Looking back, spirit has some really good troops.

Mythics that use spirit are: Death, Zuul'Goth, Abynissia, Skadi, Pharos-Ra, and Fallen Valdis.

Death can be pretty irritating. Draining life from the enemy, which increases his spell damage. Death mark can completely ruin a good run, but is very RNG.
Zuul'Goth is... so expensive to make in the forge as to be a joke.
Abynissia is a great exploder on daemon teams. Be sure to trait out Infernal King if you use her.
Skadi summons Queen Mab and ruins your opponent's order. Infuriating.
Pharos-Ra should be among the first mythics you craft, for the same reason your first 500 gems should be spent to get Celestial Armor. Souls are something you will be farming for a looooong time. Can do very respectable damage when paired with another soul generator like Dragon Soul or Valkyrie.
Fallen Valdis - I think this is the second or third answer to the divine team that dominated the meta a few months ago (Divine Protector, Infernus, Ubastet, Divine Ishbala). They directly nerfed it, and they added Fallen Valdis and Blade of Guilt.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

For the week of 12/17, the purchasable arcane is Venom (green/purple) - 1 trait stone for 300 glory.

Notable Troops:

Kraken (Legendary) - Will be your bane for a time in the mid game, as its last trait deals solid scratch damage. Used to be much more dangerous, before a nerf to how <effect> on 4 or 5 gem match traits work. Is still dangerous because devour is always a threat. A Tank, Alchemist, Hellcat, Kraken team can still do work.
Spirit Fox (Ultra-Rare) - Traits start it with full mana, has a mana drain and denies yellow.
Nimue (Legendary) - Dual converter with a life steal on green gem matches. Would be amazing if it converted a color to green...

Other Troops:

Sea Troll (Epic) - Blue troll. Nothing special.
Tzathoth (Epic) - Web with a small chance to devour.
Asha (Epic) - Enchant, magic buff, blue denial. Useful as mid game slot on a dragon team.
Boar Rider (Rare) - Board control goblin with some damage. Always use the row clear to set up another 4 or 5 match. Note that the spell removes gems, not destroys them, so you get no mana.
Greed (Rare) - Useful as a stall on gold generating defense teams.
Siren (Rare) - Empowered gem creator that can choose the color of gems. Is unreliable because the enemy has to have the color, and the color generated is randomly chosen if the enemy has more than one color.

Other legendaries:
Alderfather - Dual converting summoner. Random entangle is not optimal, but useful if you have other troops that are boosted by entangled enemies. Mostly, the primal rift legendary.
Sol'Zara - I did not realize this troop was legendary until writing this post. I use her on my soul farming team.
The Widow Queen - I only acquired her this week, the very last legendary I was missing. Basically an amped up sacrificial priest, with a webbing trait.
Venoxia - Flavor text is one of her strongest aspects.
Xerodar - Designed to screw you out of the no casualties faction points.

Mythics that use Venom:
Plague - A little too random to see much use, decreasing a random skill is pretty unreliable.
Wulfgarok - Proto-Ubastet. Devour on kill is really good and will completely turn a fight around, but Ubastet does more damage, so the proc on kill is way more reliable.
Arachnaean Weaver - Pretty high tier mythic, would put it not far behind Infernus, Ubastet, and Pharos-Ra at the forge. Very good damage, web is a great way to lock enemies down, and the trait that summons Webspinner when an enemy dies has saved me quite a few times. (Aside: Webspinner is really interesting, because the web on skull damage trait procs before the damage is dealt, so as long as the enemy can be afflicted with web, the damage is always tripled.)
Yasmine's Chosen - I feel like this troop is almost great. Random entangles on green matches, does split damage that is boosted by entangled enemies, and generates a bunch of green gems to entangle more enemies and self-fill. It just never seems to gel in practice. Maybe combine with Nimue and create a green version of the Flammifer/Yao guai team that is currently popular?
Wild Queen - Great addition if you are forced to use a wildfolk team.

Since there were two of them in the list this week, I will say I am really disappointed in most of the faction troops added so far. Silent Sentinel is the only faction legendary that I have any use for outside going for the delve points.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

The glory shop arcane for the week of 12/24 is green/yellow (Light) - 300 glory for 1 trait stone.

Key Troops:

Forest Guardian (Legendary) - Beast focused dual converter (purple to skulls, brown to green). Beast teams pop up often enough to make this guy very useful.
Queen Grapplepot (Legendary) - Goblins are a solid team for a good chunk of the mid game, and the queen is a big reason why. Does good damage with no opportunity cost, and increases survivability of goblins on gem matches. Nobend Brothers, Princess Fizzbang, Queen Grapplepot are the core of higher tier goblin teams. Finish with either a board control goblin (Goblin Rocket or Boar Rider), a thief class hero, or Goblin King. I miss my goblin team.

Other Notables:

Ranger (Rare) - I am only mentioning Ranger because he was my bane when I started playing. Massive damage to a single target combined with a bunch of split damage that was boosted by my troops? So many wipes to this thing. Now it is a complete non-threat.
Holy St. Astra (Legendary) - Full party buff, with a lightstorm and enchant on all humans, and starts humans with 50% mana. I feel like she could be a very useful member of a human focused team, but I haven't seen her used yet. Might change once more people get her traited this week.
Elven Bard (Rare) - Surprisingly powerful spell, and revered can be very powerful before you are stacking dozens of bonus points to every stat.

Other Legendaries:

Orion - Useful skull damage trait, but no tank ability, and a spell that does a range of damage. The increase in damage isn't enough over a typical match to elevate this centaur to serious use.
Saguaro - Scratch damage on skull match and infernal armor are not a terrible combination, and the spell that buffs his attack and health while damaging the weakest enemies make for an interesting combination that just doesn't fit anywhere. Kraken is a better source of scratch damage to remove barriers.

Queen Aurora is the only mythic currently in the game that uses Light traitstones. Another mythic that can fit on just about any team to catch unused mana. Heals and barriers with a solid gem creation from the spell.

Also looks like the the Pan's Vale faction is getting added this week, which will be green/yellow, no blue. Rabbit focused, lots of random effects.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Hellcat/Alchemist gets brought up a lot because it was one of the first converter pairs that worked together, but it is by no means the only one. They have added a bunch of that template (10-14 mana single converter with minor additional effect). There are two of them for every color except brown, which has one. A bunch of them offer summons, which is a good defensive tactic (Ablative Quasit Armor). The full list is:

Name - Mana Cost - Transform To (Used Colors)

Alchemist - 10 - Yellow (red/brown)
Apothecary - 10 - Brown (green/blue)
Diviner - 13 - Yellow (green/brown)
Erinyes - 13 - Purple (brown/yellow)
Giant Spider - 12 - Purple (green/blue)
Green Seer - 10 - Green (purple/yellow)
Hellcat - 12 - Red (purple/yellow)
Lord Ember - 12 - Red (brown/purple)
Spiritdancer - 13 - Green (blue/purple)
Stormsinger - 10 - Blue (purple/yellow)
Valkyrie - 10 - Blue (red/yellow)

Not all of these can be used in pairs (yet.) Stormsinger/Giant Spider, Green Seer/Giant Spider, Green Seer/Diviner, Spiritdancer/Giant Spider, Hellcat/Alchemist are the current pairings.

For this week's event, Stryx are garbage and I have no ideas on a team composition. I am using Earth's Fury, Stormsinger, Ixchel, Taloca, but mostly powering through on stats.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Yes, minor orbs can be converted into major orbs in the soulforge. But the conversion rate is terrible. It takes 4 orbs of wisdom to make a major orb of wisdom, 4 orbs of ascension to make a major, and 20 orbs of growth to make a major. The only reason to use any of these conversions is if you have taken leave of your senses and want to craft Zuul'goth.

The only troop I have used major orb of ascension on are bounty troops. But I had a string where every major orb of chaos I got for a month was a major orb of ascension.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Week of 12/31 - Purple/Red (Dark) Arcane Traitstone - 1 stone for 300 Glory. This week also has a bounty event and a new mythic for Suncrest. Time to use your orbs of clan once you reach 1500 seals.

Notable Troops:

Queen Titania (Legendary) - There are a few teams that rely on generating and using large amounts of red gems and mana. Queen Titania is used for the random faerie fire.
Sekhma (Legendary) - Dual converter boosted by are ally's magic, and gains magic on red matches. Can have high damage when paired with summoners, especially paired with the dual convert.
The Dragon Soul (Legendary) - Still one of the most popular troops in the game. Generates souls, deals ok damage to all troops. Will be the basis of your soul farming team for a long time.
Sunbird (Epic) - Useful for clearing explores very quickly, since a high level sunbird can wipe out most explore teams in one cast. If anything lives, a second cast or a skull match will usually finish the fight.
Wisp (Epic) - This thing is really irritating. Two wisps can lock the board down and charm can deal surprising damage if it overlaps.

Honorable Mentions:

Umberwolf (Legendary) - The whole Bat Swarm/Nosferatu/Umberwolf triad is really weird, but it can work. Transform is a full heal, but you lose any enhanced stats from traits and spells. You really need all three full ascended and traited to make it work.
Rock Troll (Epic) - Tanky troll.
Skeleros (Epic) - Spell is like a troll for skulls. It is too likely to leave a board full of 4 and 5 skull matches for the AI to use.
Runesmith (Ultra-Rare) - Buffs attack and armor, useful on dwarf teams, especially paired with Lady Ironbeard.
Summoner (Rare) - Heals and summons, making a useful stall troop. Orcs have a gimmick where they gain stats when they take damage. Combine with Summoner's healing and this can be very frustrating.

Other Legendaries:
Carnex - Seems like it should be useful, but pairing a trait that enhances skull damage with a spell that eats skulls doesn't work well.
Medea - There just aren't enough synergistic mystics to give Medea a chance to shine.

The mythics that use Dark traitstones are:
Death - Death mark all enemies can be completely useless. Or it kills half your team the second turn. Chip damage that buffs his spell damage.
Zuul'Goth - Oh Zuuly, you nut.
Suna - Nukes the weakest enemies, weakens the strongest enemies, random faerie fires. Very similar to Queen Titania, just better.
Infernus - Still amazing.
Elemaugrim - Can replace The Dragon Soul on dragon teams without interfering much. Its third trait can completely lockdown a poorly balanced team.
Gargantuar - The mythic orc. The spell can be deadly if a battle goes on for a long time and both sides have summoners or healers. One of the least useful mythics.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Floor 16:
Rare - Haste
Ultra Rare - Unlock
Epic - Life
Legendary - Armor

Floor 17:
Rare - Attack
Ultra Rare - Haste
Epic - Unlock
Legendary - Fireball

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Tower o' Doom team:

Meteor Banner (Sin of Maraj)
Earth's Fury Titan
Gargoyle
Yao Guai
Divinia

Earth's Fury generates more attack to boost Gargoyle then Mang, (4/3s of armor stripped, instead of 1 times armor stripped). Yao Guai converts red gems, and I am addicted to the random status effects from Divinia, especially with Blessed added.

For the bounty, I have had OK luck with:

Meteor Banner
Fangblade
Yao Guai
Pharaoh Hound
Soldier of Wrath

Fangblade to hopefully tank a hit or two, Yao Guai for damage, Pharaoh hound for barriers and to generate gems for Yao Guai to use and convert, and the bounty captain. The only issue is that Mercy on the rank 20 team can clear all of the purple gems, but she just feeds Grand Inquisitor, which is not very threatening. I tried a Tesla team, but Tesla was not pulling her weight.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Crazy Elephant posted:

Floor 24:
Rare - Armor
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Luck
Legendary - Unlock

Floor 25:
Rare - Life
Ultra Rare - Unlock
Epic - Attack
Legendary - Life

Yes, I burned a fireball scroll to kill those bulettes. No, it was not worth it.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

New OP looks good, only one or two comments:

I did not see an explanation of the asterisks after troop names. I remember being confused when I first started reading about the game before I realized they indicated traits.

Maybe add a short explanation in the team building section or in the kingdom section on banners.

Also, I just ran a quick test, and Gloom Leaf's unique and infernal armor do not reduce skull damage taken.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Maugrim posted:

e: Also everyone will tell you to go and unlock Titan but I have yet to figure out what's so great about it - certainly warlord is not a terrible class to stick with for a while.

Titan is recommended for a few reasons:

The third trait means your hero starts at 50% mana. (Trait applies to giants, titan class means hero is a giant.)

The Stone tree level 40 talent, Rock Solid: Gain barrier when matching brown gems. This is an incredible effect at all levels, but especially at end game when enemy damage starts to escalate way past your defensive stats.

The War tree level 70 talent, Bloodthirsty: Become enraged on 4 or 5 gem matches. Enraged increases damage by 50% from the next skull match, and the next skull match ignores defensive traits. This includes armor traits, dodge traits, reflect traits, and revenge traits (like Bone Dragon's Frozen Soul).

Since many of the best weapons for end game content are brown (Mountain Crusher, Earth's Fury, Mang, Flammifer), and you are always looking for 4 or 5 gem matches, these last two effects trigger often. Mountain Crusher, when fully leveled, also generates a dust storm, meaning you are very likely to get 4 or 5 brown gem matches after using it, triggering both effects at once.

Getting to level 70 to unlock both talents will take hundreds of fights using Titan. Each class has three talent trees. Titan is the only one (so far) that shares the Stone and War trees. Warlord has the War tree, so it can get the Bloodthirsty talent.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Since I am thinking about it, here is a primer on classes if you want to use it for the new OP:

Hero Classes:

Hero classes allow you to specialize and boost your hero further. They are unlocked by completing a series of four fights at the end of the kingdom quests. Not every kingdom has a hero class at this time, but they are introducing a new one every few weeks. Your hero class can be changed by pressing your hero portrait at the top left and selecting class. There is a 24 hour cooldown between switching classes, with a 50 gem cost to skip the timer. Never do this.

Winning 250 fights with a hero class selected will award you a unique mythic weapon. The hero does not need to participate to count a win, just having the class selected counts. Honestly, most of these weapons are terrible. Dragonguard (Dragon's Claw) and Thief (Zaejin) are the only ones that are really notable. Using orbs of ascension will give you wins to unlock these weapons. They can also be purchased for gems during the weekly class events, but I would never recommend that.

Hero classes have levels and traits just like troops do. The level increases stats just like for a troop, with one caveat. Each class increases the hero's attack, life, and armor as normal, but the magic bonus only applies if using a weapon of a certain color. The level also increases gem mastery of one color when the class is equipped. Traits are purchased with traitstones, costing as much as a legendary troop. That is 16 arcane traitstones if the class uses dual color traitstones, and 18 if it uses mono color. As with legendary troops, the third trait for each class is unique. Some are very powerful, and others are very sad (Really, Warden? All allies gain 5 armor? That is pathetic). Levels and traits can also be purchased with orbs.

Once the hero class is leveled to 10 your hero will count as belonging to the kingdom of the class, and will be a troop type associated with that kingdom. For example, selecting Warlord will change your troop type to Giant and your hero will be counted as belonging to Broken Spire. This means your hero will count towards the same type bonuses, and traits and spells that work on troop types will count or effect the hero.

Hero classes also have another leveling system, called Champion Level. Hero xp is earned by the hero participating in battles, and participating in weekly class events. Most fights earn 1 or 2 xp, and the class event will give larger chunks. Note that your hero does not need to participate in the class event, or be the matching class to get the xp. Champion level is capped at 100, and unlocks Talents. Each class has three talent trees. You unlock a tier of the talent trees when your Champion level reaches certain breakpoints: 1, 5, 10, 20, 40, 70, and 100. You select one talent from the three available at each breakpoint, and you can swap freely at any time. Many of the talents boost certain troop types, or provide bonus stats when using weapons of a certain type (axe, sword, bow, etc.) Others replicate traits that normal troops have, like Fortitude (immunity to a bunch of status effects) or link traits that give you bonus mana from matches. And some of them are truly unique, like chance to summon a troop when taking damage, or giving barrier on brown gem matches.

Unlocking the hero class is required to get the 9th kingdom star, leveling it to 20 with souls is required to get the 11th, and purchasing all three traits is required to get the 13th.

Arbetor fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 6, 2019

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

...I definitely know my right from my left, and the post above is completely crazy.

And I never even looked at Lightning strike, since I love enrage for melting tanks. They are both really strong traits, and being able to switch freely is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Who’s a good substitute for Ketras the Bull? I still don’t have that unit.

This is what I have been using

Sin of Maraj banner
Earth's Fury
Earthcaller
Chief Stronghorn
Sunweaver

The chief is basically Ketras-lite and the rearrange can be useful, but I used an orb of ascension on the event unit, so Earth's Fury + Earthcaller should be melting the boss for a long time.