Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Surprised no guild list in the OP.

My invite code is SETH_OXMT please can I have an invite if there's room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Just saw a mention of a Discord, which presumably is a better way of coordinating than the thread - anyone got a link/details for it?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Annointed posted:

Sure thing, invites sent and now we're out of space.

Thanks a lot! Do people generally prefer talking in here, Discord or in game guild chat? I have many newbie questions lined up.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Grundulum posted:

Because we are spread out over two guilds, and since we all have a Something Awful account already, discussion usually happens here on the forums. (There is a Discord channel, but I am not active in it.) So I suggest you ask your questions here.

Ok thanks!

So far I've understood that I should be doing pve until I get all my kingdoms to level 10, and collecting guild seals (whatever those are) every day.

- At this early stage (level 25) should I be saving any of my keys or just use them as I get them?
- Any way to mute annoying global chat while staying connected to guild chat?
- Is there any point trying to make team builds when I only have like 25 troops and little knowledge of the game, or should I just find something that gets me through PvE and use it as long as I can?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Much appreciated! Seems a good tip about the armours especially.

The number of things I can spend the various currencies on is pretty baffling so I'd love some pointers on where to focus my soul/ingot/other stuff spending (presumably gold all goes to levelling kingdoms for now).

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I attempted a pet rescue, only won one battle but unlocked a peace pigeon. What is the "x2 team bonus" it gives me?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Daft newbie questions ahoy

Are the guild tasks literally just "contribute this much gold" or is there more to them than that? (I'm following thread advice and ignoring them till I'm done with kingdoms, but curious nonetheless)

Do the guild guardians have any more functionality besides giving me (enormous, relative to my level) mana surge bonuses? And do their levels ever reset?

At level 63 is there any point my even trying to play anything in the "games" tab besides treasure hunt and arena?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
This is my first tower of doom so not quite sure how it works - I just got the unlock scroll from the rare room of floor 1. Is it different for each guild? (I'm in gem blossums obvs)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Well I dunno if Gem Blossums cares about doom tower but here's what I've got for it

(I'm too feeble to get past the fights on floor 3)

Floor 1
Rare room: Unlock
Ultra-Rare room: Haste
Epic room: Haste
Legendary room: Haste

Floor 2
Rare room: Attack
Ultra-Rare room: Unlock
Epic room: Life
Legendary room: Haste

Floor 3
Rare room: Unlock
Ultra-Rare room: ?
Epic room: ?
Legendary room: ?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 6, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any good team with Kerberos?

Funny, I just got him as my first orange. Very exciting. Tried a few combinations and concluded that yeah, devour is too unreliable. :(

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Is it possible to miss stuff completely in this game, or do event-based card grabs always repeat eventually?

e: And an unrelated question, when should I switch classes? I just got the blue (legendary?) weapon for 250 wins with Warlord class. I tried switching to something else (mechanist, chosen at random) a short time ago and all that meant was suddenly I was losing most of my battles and couldn't wait to switch back. But I guess I do need to level those other classes at some point.

I guess once I finally get a Giant Spider I can build a closed-loop team that will carry my hero even when he's pathetically weak.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 7, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks everyone for the replies! I guess I just need to play a few arena sessions and get those precious level-up souls, since they come very slow from doing quests.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Getting irongut: it doesn't look like gem blossums will reach 20k seals this week, so should I be spending my seals to open guild chests now (post 10k)? How likely am I to get him if I can only afford like 60-70 chests?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
There are two (Gem Boiz and Gem Blossums), but it seems like we're hovering around the "both guilds full of active players" mark.

Do we need a third-tier partially filled noobs and rejects guild? :v:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Hello Sailor posted:

Just untraited Alchemist out of all those. I saw that combo recommended a few pages ago.

Same. Seems like Hellcat/giant spider/green seer are pretty rare?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I just got Mountain Crusher which I see mentioned here a lot. What's so good about it - does it just synergise well with Titan (which I haven't unlocked yet)?

Also just got my first Giant Spider, which I can pair with a Spiritfinder to make a loop. However I'm struggling to make that work for me in the pet rescue battles. Is there some trick to it or are goblin opponents just horrible no matter what team you bring?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Enkor posted:

What's your output from the loop? I ran with mang for skull damage, and kraken's damage on 4-5 matches for a while, though it was super slow.

I'm still experimenting. My hero is so strong relative to any of my minions that I feel like I really need him in first position, but that doesn't work with the loop (if he has the same mana colour he blocks it, and if he has a different mana colour he never fills up). So I guess I just need to farm enough souls and traitstones to buff the giant spider so it can survive a hit or two in first position.

I've currently got boar rider in my last slot, taking advantage of green/purple overflow while generating extra turns, but it feels pretty underwhelming for damage.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Grundulum posted:

Your hero shouldn’t block blue, purple, or green, for sure. But you can still fill them by taking 4+ matches when they arise; and certainly take 4+ skull matches to boost your damage output. Kraken or Taloca would be great fits for the fourth slot, since they do direct damage on 4+ matches, but they are legendary troops and harder to acquire. Boar Rider isn’t a horrible idea in that slot, though. You can do a bit of damage, manipulate the board, and still keep the turn. Asha (Shentang quest troop damnit, that’s Penglong, not Asha) and Dark Song (Grosh’Nak quest troop) are other good candidates.

Thanks, that's useful. I don't have any of the troops you mention but I've just started on the Grosh'Nak quests since I was between kingdoms anyway. Seem to be doing better with this team as I get more practice, but it's not nearly as fast as my goblins so I might stick with those until I've farmed the loop troops up a bit more.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Devonaut posted:

If you create an account on gowdb and sync it up with your gems of war account, you can share the link here so we can see what you have.

https://gowdb.com/account/register

It's not letting me link my account - is the invite code it's asking for the same thing as my game password? I'm guessing not, but I don't know how to generate an invite code in that case.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Grundulum posted:

:confused: (I’ve never linked my account, but I think that’s the right thing.)

:doh: Naturally.

My collection:
https://gowdb.com/collection/9bc0477d5ff6c55aac99328bc14ddf30

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 13, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks all, that really gives me a much better idea of what to work on. Will be nice to have a few good teams to switch between for variety.

e: Wait what's so great about firebombs in that team? Do you just explore on normal difficulty so the firebombs explode everything?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 13, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Couple of questions

1) Is there any advantage to playing all the fights for past days? I'm assuming the win/loss is called at the end of each day, and I forgot guild wars were on for the first half of the week.

2) Am I allowed to yell bullshit if an enemy's Immortal trait procs three times in a row?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I didn't know that about defence, and don't have enough good troops to colour match on attack, but hopefully I'll do better next war.

Not that Gem Blossums are very serious about warring :v:

E: I just pulled a Dark Monolith, which is the first gold I've had that rates a "generally strong" in Grundulum's list. What's the strategy for this guy? It looks like his third trait would make him super strong in long battles but I'm usually dead by the time the enemy has procced a few spells. Not that I have anything like enough traitstones anyway.

Related: what's the go-to farming method for traitstones?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 23, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

porktree posted:

Only spend gold on cities - get gold early on in the arena. Once all your cities are level 10, use the gold toward guild tasks.

Spend the keys, do the PvP every week.

Use gems for armor, Dragon first for the gold, Celestial second for the souls.

I got Celestial first because I'm permanently short of souls - you have so many classes and troops to level if you want to make headway in basically anything. Whereas gold is coming in at a steady rate and I've already got all kingdoms to 5.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Is anyone playing the steam version? I'm getting a repeated Error 13 (asset failed to download) on a 3.54MB asset. Verifying game files, restarting my PC and reinstalling the game haven't fixed it.

Just submitted a support ticket, anyway.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
From a month of play, I just got my first orb of chaos, which turned into an orb of wisdom.

Wtf is an orb used for?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Grundulum posted:

There are four kinds of orbs. The first three below can be used in the troop menu (look for the Orbs tab). The fourth is used in the Guild menu.

• Green orbs are Orbs of Growth. A small one will level up a single troop once, saving you some souls. A large one will take a single troop to its highest allowed level (as high as 20 if the troop is mythic), saving you a bunch of souls. They can also be used on hero classes, for the same purpose.
  • Orange orbs are Orbs of Wisdom. A small one purchases a single trait for the troop in question. A large one buy all three troops. This saves potentially a whooooole lot of traitstones, especially if you use these on second/third traits for base legendary or mythic troops. As with Orbs of Growth, they can be used on hero classes for the same purpose.
  • Blue orbs, Orbs of Ascension, are the rarest and most precious. A minor orb will increase the rarity of a troop one tier, just as if you had sacrificed enough troops the normal way. Obviously only do this to go from legendary to mythic, since that’s the most expensive tier to reach. Major Orbs of Ascension will take any troop all the way to mythic, equivalent to collecting and sacrificing 15-190 copies of that troop. For hero classes, these orbs will give you class wins toward the class weapon that unlocks at 250 wins as that class. I am a hoarder in most games I play, and have yet to spend a single Orb of Ascension. I can’t even imagine a troop that would make me want to spend a major one.
  • Purple orbs are Orbs of Clans. They are spent in the Seals tab of the Guild menu to earn additional guild seals towards your total that week. This can take you beyond 1500 for the week, so don’t spend orbs until you hit the normal cap for the week. In Gem Boiz, we recommend that players save their Orbs of Clans until the week where new mythic troops are released; this bumps our guild chests up to a higher tier than normal, making for better results. No idea what Gem Blossums suggests.

Technically, there is a fifth kind of orb: Orb of Power. It takes three major Orbs of Growth, Wisdom, and Ascension to craft a single Orb of Power. If used, such an orb maxes the rarity of a troop, buys all traits, and levels it to 20. There is also the mythic troop Zuul’Goth, who can be crafted in the Soul Forge for eight Orbs of Power :shepicide:.

Great info, thank you!

I don't think Gem Blossums has any policies really. We typically only get to 10k or so seals in any week. Only a couple of us even seem to participate in the guild events. I'd guess I'd like to be in a guild that tried to do that stuff, but on the other hand I never manage to earn my full 1500 seals in a week so I'm probably not hardcore enough for Gem Boiz.

Treasure Hunt is fun even if inefficient. Scored 223 on one today.

EDIT: How are orbs typically gained? I presume there's other ways besides logging in every day for a month. Can you craft the minor ones into major ones somehow?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 30, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If the kind folks of Gem Blossums could see their way to destroying 4 more towers in this week's Invasion, we could pick up the level 3 rewards... I seem to have hit my limit at stage 5.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
As someone still pretty early in the game, I'm finding the Mountain Crusher / Apothecary / Goblin Rocket / Keeper of Souls team that someone suggested carries me through many fights that my other teams can't touch, including all three dungeons if I'm lucky.

So if you don't have a ton of legendary troops yet I wouldn't pass up KoS.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I guess my attitude as a new player is I don't mind part-levelling and part-traiting a few troops for each event to push as far as I can - it's an opportunity to try out something I wouldn't normally, it gives progress towards levelling kingdom power, and increases my tiny pool of powered troops ready to include in whatever future events come up.

But yeah I can see it being an unwanted distraction if you already have a dozen legendaries you're trying to level/trait up.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Tower so far for Gem Blossums if anyone is interested:

Floor 1
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Life
Legendary - Armor

Floor 2
Rare - Unlock
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Attack
Legendary - Armor

Floor 3
Rare - Fireball
Ultra Rare - Unlock
Epic - Life
Legendary - Armor

Floor 4
Rare - Armor
Ultra Rare - Life
Epic - Unlock
Legendary - Life

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 2, 2019

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Really looking forward to the new OP and having all that great up to date info in one spot.

I'd volunteer to post them but I haven't been playing long enough to know if I'm in this for the long term. Like you I have a ton of real life commitments and won't be able to keep up my current daily hours forever. Hopefully someone else is willing to step up...

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My current "best" team for hard fights is:

Titan (rank 17) / Mountain Crusher (unlevelled because I've never got a gold ingot ever)
Apothecary ***
Goblin Rocket **
Keeper of Souls (No traits)

This helps a lot with harder fights than I can manage with my soul-generating PvE team, but I'm still hitting my limit earlier than I'd like - I can rarely do the second dungeon let alone the third, for example, and can't get past the 3rd fight in pet rescues.

Actually I've had more success with Archer main for this team, but I'm trying to level Titan since it seems to be so popular generally.

Are there any other good combos I can try? I have Alchemist but not Hellcat. I've recently acquired Winter Imp and Dark Monolith. Link to my collection:

http://gowdb.com/collection/9bc0477d5ff6c55aac99328bc14ddf30

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Night Danger Moose posted:

Just a note with this, you can craft all ingots in the soul forge. It costs 10 of the previous ingot to make 1, but it helps if they refuse to drop for you.

Duly noted, thanks!

*goes to look up how to unlock the soul forge*

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

soscannonballs posted:

Are there any good guides for new players for this game?

The new OP that is coming any day now will be an excellent guide.

If the holdup is finding someone to post it I guess I'm willing to commit...

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

soscannonballs posted:

My team right now is my hero, Goblin, Dryad, and Ferit. The only unit I have leveled up is my Goblin who is level 15. Should level up the guys I am using right now or wait until I get some of the units for the teams in the newbie team section?

My take after playing for a month and change: If you're struggling right now, there's no harm in levelling what you're using. There will be plenty more souls in your future. Goblins are really good for a long time (especially goblin rocket) so definitely don't feel bad about putting souls into those.

That said, if you've joined a guild you'll get a ton of gold keys and unlock new common and rare troops pretty fast.

e: Also everyone will tell you to go and unlock Titan but I have yet to figure out what's so great about it - certainly warlord is not a terrible class to stick with for a while.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Arbetor posted:

Titan is recommended for a few reasons:

The third trait means your hero starts at 50% mana. (Trait applies to giants, titan class means hero is a giant.)

The Stone tree level 40 talent, Rock Solid: Gain barrier when matching brown gems. This is an incredible effect at all levels, but especially at end game when enemy damage starts to escalate way past your defensive stats.

The War tree level 70 talent, Bloodthirsty: Become enraged on 4 or 5 gem matches. Enraged increases damage by 50% from the next skull match, and the next skull match ignores defensive traits. This includes armor traits, dodge traits, reflect traits, and revenge traits (like Bone Dragon's Frozen Soul).

Since many of the best weapons for end game content are brown (Mountain Crusher, Earth's Fury, Mang, Flammifer), and you are always looking for 4 or 5 gem matches, these last two effects trigger often. Mountain Crusher, when fully leveled, also generates a dust storm, meaning you are very likely to get 4 or 5 brown gem matches after using it, triggering both effects at once.

Getting to level 70 to unlock both talents will take hundreds of fights using Titan. Each class has three talent trees. Titan is the only one (so far) that shares the Stone and War trees. Warlord has the War tree, so it can get the Bloodthirsty talent.

Thanks very much for this. I've only just hit level 20 in the talent tree, and haven't managed to buy the first trait yet let alone all three. So I guess it's not surprising I'm not getting much out of it yet :v:

Grundulum those megaposts look great, learnt a few new things and will be good reference points in the future as well. One question though: I notice a lot of your recommended teams, including for relatively early game players, don't include the hero - won't that prevent me from levelling my classes?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 6, 2019

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks to whoever pointed out I can speed up the animations in this game. 1.5x feels crazy fast in a good way. I expect I'll go even higher once I'm used to it.

Now a question that isn't addressed in the new OPs: difficulty levels!

I'm playing on Warlord III on the PvE quests, as my soul-farming team can't hack warlord IV. Hell, sometimes even III is too hard for them. For Arena I generally end up on Hard to be sure of consistent wins. Are these at all sensible choices from a min/maxing point of view? Obviously at the higher difficulties, fights take longer and I have to take longer to think about my actions and sometimes I lose them, so the loss of time all adds up. But I do like having to actually think to win a fight rather than mindlessly spam through.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 6, 2019

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

EvilMayo posted:

If I spend my :10bux: on this what do I buy with gems (other than the two armors)?

According to the new OPs the absolute best use for gems is the Sunday dungeon pack, and the packs for other days aren't to be sneezed at either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Sighence posted:

It didn't work.

Are you sure that's the right invite code? Mine ended up as SETH_OXMT with username Seth.

Not that I know much of these things