Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Tony Homo posted:

Should your team be composed in such a way that you have all colors accounted for? I feel like such a noob and maybe I'm just not understanding something.

The way that mana works is that if you match (let's say) green orbs, the orbs go to the first troop with green represented, not to every troop with green represented. If that troop's skill threshold is reached, the spillover goes to the next troop of that color if one exists that needs mana, and so on.

This means that color diversity is a good thing because it means that whatever you match, someone's getting mana. This doesn't mean you have to build your team out of precisely six colors, though; a little overlap is fine so that if one troop gets killed, someone else can benefit from a color. For instance, my main team right now is:

Tau (Yellow/Blue)
Boar Rider (Green/Purple)
Kerberos (Purple/Brown)
Rocket Goblin (Red/Yellow)

Each unit has at least one color that no one else has, so with a full team I can still concentrate on filling any of the four skills. If Tau or Boar Rider drops, the team remains strong because then Kerberos or Rocket Goblin benefits from two color matches instead of one.

Obscil posted:

Which of the PvE areas give good epics? I'm not really sure what would be good yet.

My own ranking goes something like this. (When I say "up to" it's based on Level 15, your mileage at lower levels may vary):

Great:
* Tau (Sword's Edge). Blue/Yellow, 11 mana to gain up to (5 + Red gems removed) Attack. There's no divisor on that gems removed -- it's 1:1, so a board full of red gems takes his Attack from 8 to 20+. Board churn and your turn ending means you're likely to take a hit on your next turn, but this is by far the best unit for building a one-hit killer quickly.
* Lady Sapphira (Whitehelm). Brown/Yellow, 13 mana to do up to 6 True Damage (ignoring armor) and gain 4 Life and 2 Attack. A good middle-of-the-pack unit to build up so that when your front-liner dies, she's ready to hit like a truck. True Damage is nice against heavily armored enemies.
* Atlanta (Divinion Fields). Purple/Yellow, 13 mana to do up to 6 damage to every enemy. That's a nice whittle-down unit. Also a high base Attack.
* Raven (Mist of Scales). Red/Blue, 10 mana to do up to 10 damage to an enemy, gain most of that back if the enemy dies. Pretty good damage/mana ratio, and his skill is situational but great when you plan around it (say, partnering with Atlanta to do spread-out damage and then Raven to pick off the scraps and be ready again in one match).

Good:
* Keghammer (Stormhelm). Brown/Yellow, 12 mana to do up to 10 damage to selected enemy and reduce its Magic by 3. Pretty nice for neutering an annoying enemy skill.
* Luther (Broken Spire). Blue/Brown, 13 mana to give all allies and himself up to 5 Attack. A nice all-around boost, though only one unit can attack via skulls and thus directly benefit from it at a time.
* Tyri (Zhul'kari). Green/Purple, 8 mana to remove all gems of a specific color and gain Gold. Fragile, but she has a high base Attack of 10, and her skill is really cheap. If you use it wisely you can set up 4s and 5s to feed the rest of your team and get more turns and be ready to use it again quickly.
* Alastair (Khetar). Blue/Purple, 14 mana to give all allies and himself up to (5 + (Purple Gems removed/4)). A situational unit that needs certain teammates like Paladin or Rowanne to really shine.
* Brian the Lucky (Zaejin). Green/Brown, 12 mana to give all allies +5 on a random attribute (Life, Armor, Attack or Magic). This one is really swingy because of its random nature. When it clicks (boosting Magic on something with a strong skill, boosting Attack on your front liner) it can be really useful. When it drops 5 Armor onto teammates instead, meh.
* Ferit (Karakoth). Purple/Brown, 10 mana to do up to 9 damage to the last enemy and drain its Mana. Not great, as you can't select a target, but pretty cheap for the damage it does and zeroing Mana can be a help if the bottom enemy has an annoying skill.
* Finley (Pridelands). Red/Blue, 12 mana to change all skulls to a selected color and gain Gold. Pretty weak in and of himself, but you can use him on a defense-oriented team to buy time by eliminating skulls, and his skill can set up 4s and 5s easily to feed your other troops.

Mediocre:
* Avina (Ghulvania). Red/Purple, 13 mana to do up to 11 damage to an enemy and collect 1 soul. A lot of mana for a decent directable attack, and Valkyrie's better for soul farming.
* Rowanne (Forest of Thorns). Blue/Green, 12 mana to do up to (7 + her Armor) damage, spread between all enemies randomly. With the right allies (Alastair, Templar, * Sparkgrinder) this can be boosted into a lot of damage -- but it's still random and you'll kick yourself when the spread doesn't go how you'd want. If enemies target her, she can be neutered pretty quickly.
* Emperina (Khaziel). Red/Brown, 14 mana to cleanse and heal an ally and give him up to 3 Life and Attack. If you have one unit that you really really want to pump up and keep alive, this is a good ally to have. But that's really situational, and you really have to build around a defensive team to make defense work. Very situational.
* Scarlett (Maugrim Woods). Red/Green, 14 mana to do up to 10 damage to an enemy, double if that enemy is a Beast. What counts as a Beast? You tell me -- it's never laid out specifically.
* Sparkgrinder (Adana). Red/Yellow, 12 mana to give one ally or himself up to 5 Attack and Armor. The Armor is pretty negligible, the Attack is not -- but Luther's right there to boost everyone's Attack instead of just one.
* Elwyn (Pan's Vale). Green/Yellow, 12 mana to destroy a row and column, doing 1 point per yellow gem destroyed to a random enemy. I love Boar Rider for a row-destroying skill, but this one doesn't give you another turn, so it's harder to use it to set up something good. Damage will generally be poor and random, though it will give you some mana back based on what you blow up. Ugh.

Also, cheap and Common/Rare units to watch out for:

* Alchemist (Adana). Red/Brown, 10 mana to turn a specific color to Yellow and gain Gold. Useful for gold farming, fairly cheap skill, and good for setting up Yellow 4s/5s if you have a Yellow teammate to benefit from it.
* Boar Rider (Zaejin). Green/Purple, 9 mana to destroy a row, do up to 8 damage to the first enemy and TAKE ANOTHER TURN. Unbelievably good for a Rare unit. Row destruction helps you set up skull matches and 4/5s, he does good damage, his skill is cheap to fill up and the extra turn changes strategy significantly.
* Bombardier (Khaziel). Red/Brown, 8 mana to explode a specific gem and do up to 6 damage to a random enemy. You get some mana from exploded gems and their neighbors, and clearing a 3x3 area can be strategically useful. Cheap skill.
* Frost Giant (Stormhelm). Blue/Yellow, 9 mana to do up to (5 + Skulls anywhere on the board) to a random enemy. Random target, but great for punishing enemy skills that put lots of skulls on the board.
* Goblin (Zaejin). Green, 6 mana to do up to 7 damage to a target and TAKE ANOTHER TURN. Cheap, good damage/mana ratio, extra turn, a great starter unit.
* Night Terror (Zhul'Kari). Red/Purple, 8 mana to do up to (8 + (Blue gems destroyed / 3)) damage to the weakest enemy. Great for taking out stragglers and enemies in the middle of a team with annoying skills.
* Paladin (Whitehelm). Green/Yellow, 11 mana to do up to (4 + my Armor) damage to an enemy. At level 15 that's a base of 14 damage and boosting his armor only adds to that, so he's a great rushdown kind of unit. Neutered a bit once he's taking hits, of course.
* Rex Warrior (Pridelands). Red/Blue, 8 mana to gain up to (3 + (Blue gems destroyed / 2)) Attack. Low Budget Tau, though not as efficient and more fragile.
* Rock Worm (Khaziel). Brown, 8 mana to do up to 7 damage to the last enemy and create 7 Brown gems. This is the enemy you will learn to HATE once you start playing Arena, because he and units like him can get on a serious roll sometimes. Cast skill, do damage, match 4 with the created gems, fill up skill again, repeat! Of course, sometimes he leaves 4s and 5s on the board for the opponent instead.
* Sabertooth Lion (Pridelands). Green/Blue, 9 mana to do up to 9 damage to an enemy, gain 2 Magic if it dies. A finishing touch unit like Raven -- if you start killing with him, his skill damage goes to 11, then 13, then 15...
* Satyr (Pan's Vale). Green, 9 mana to do up to 9 damage to the last enemy, TAKE ANOTHER TURN. Enough said?
* Templar (Whitehelm). Blue/Brown, 10 mana to give all allies up to (3 + (Red gems turned green / 5)) Armor. Situational, but a great tag-team partner for either Paladin (boost that Armor-based damage) or Goblin / Satyr (feeding them green gems).
* Valkyrie (Stormhelm). Red/Yellow, 10 mana to change selected color to Blue and gain Souls. Soul farmer, plus good for feeding your Blue troops.
* Wolf Knight (Sword's Edge). Brown/Yellow, 8 mana to do up to 4 True Damage, +3 if that enemy's health is already damaged. This is your ticket to taking down heavily armored enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
More tips for newbies:

HOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD I SPEND ON GEMS?

Preferably none. Once a guild gets rolling it can generate a surprising number of gems and Treasure Maps (which can generate gems when you're lucky). If a starter pack is tempting, fine, but you should not be in the habit of spending cash for gems.

WHAT SHOULD I SPEND MY GEMS ON?

Click on Shop. You have four options:

* Gold: No. Way too small return on your investment.
* Souls: No. WAY too small return on your investment.
* Keys: Maybe in the beginning. As others have noted, a decent guild will help you get Iron Keys semi-regularly, and you will earn these from Arena and randomly at rare intervals. In the beginning, you will want to save your gold for PvP and for opening new areas; later on, you'll have enough gold that you won't really care. Magic keys cost Gems, and while I've bought a couple of these myself I kicked the habit quickly. It is a guaranteed Ultra Rare, so you can go fishing for something nice in that pool, and 3x normal chances for Epic and Legendary -- but 3 times 1% is still 3%, much like other gacha games I could name. You will get most Epics over time through quest completion, and Legendaries and the other Epics _can_ drop from Iron Keys.
* Costumes: Yessss. This is where the bang is for your buck. The message "Costume Bonuses apply to Battles, Challenges, Defenses and Quests only" is misleading; it means that you can't buy them from the Shop and get additional bonuses on Shop purchases, but they DO apply to Arena rewards, to PvP rewards, to every-15-successful-revenge-attacks bonuses and such. This means that even a 50-gem base armor is a really good investment because it'll time-and-a-half your incoming gold, souls or XP.

Which costume do you want? Depends on your priorities:
* Gold bonuses are my own favorite. Increased gold takes most of the risk out of PvP, tilting it even more in your favor. It lets you rain gold on your guild LIKE A BOSS and gain Gems, Souls and Keys from task completion. It lets you open new areas more quickly.
* Souls bonuses are really only good if you're playing a lot of Arena. Then again, you're encouraged to play a lot of Arena. 50% Souls boost on "normal" quest fights gives you 6 souls at the end instead of 4; on Arena, the end reward for 8 wins goes from 400 to 600. That's significant.
* XP bonuses are useful only if you're using your Hero in every team -- which, for a long time, you will be. Look through the Official Weapons List and see those "Unlocked at ___ Mastery x" messages; increased XP means you're reaching those levels faster as well as building up your Hero's stats faster.

(Short version? If you're in a hurry, get Dwarven Armor for general / PvP play and then get Assassin Armor for Arena. If you can hold out, Viking Armor means you're not swapping costumes in and out. By the time you get enough Gems for the 250 or 500 Gem Armor sets you'll know what you want most.)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

DaveWoo posted:

I guess it doesn't matter, because apparently I'm not high enough rank to use tokens. v:v:v

(How do you increase your guild rank, anyway?)

You don't -- someone has to promote you.

However, tokens have guild-wide impact. As long as you're a member, you gain the benefits of whichever mastery your betters assign tokens to.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, let's put it this way. I'm about a month in (I started shortly after the Android release) and I'm at total earnings of around 700-800K gold (I dumped a fair amount into a pubbie guild before joining Gem Boys), 500+ Gems, 32 unused Maps, and have been buying all the big stuff and sitting at around 400 Glory at all times. It'll take me a while to earn enough gems for the 500 armors but it's coming, and after that I can see how everything can pile up.

On the other hand, Treasure Maps are fun regardless of how much you have.

The Challenges are soul-crushing unless you really really need Souls or really want that tiny extra boost to your home Kingdom. That said, the bonuses for a pimped-out home Kingdom are pretty nice. You have to be slightly fussy choosing one if you want it maxed out (not all Kingdoms have eight troops available yet, even if you have phenomenal Epic/Legendary luck), but a Level 10 Kingdom gives you +10% Tribute and +2 Armor, +1 Attack, +1 Life, +1 Magic and +25 to all Masteries when fighting/defending there. It's worth it to level-15 your commons and rares in your kingdom of choice.

delfin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 19, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I need to fine tune my arena team. I'll post the stand out people I have but I'm not doing hot there
I see a TON of teams with ungodly high armor for everyone. Talking 10 plus easy

Arena's the one place where you should be on pretty even ground, since both sides have three level 10 picks. PvP can match you up with some heavyweights sometimes.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
A tip for Arena: Color balance is important, but so is having multiple damage sources. If you go in with a team that's too heavily focused on support skills, you can get rolled pretty easily.

For example, I went into Arena just now with a perfectly color-balanced squad and a plan:
Hero w/Crossbow of Exile (Green, 7 true damage to an enemy)
Serpent (Blue, create 7 red gems, poison first two enemies)
Valkyrie (Red/Yellow, convert color to blue, gain souls)
Grave Knight (Brown/Purple, destroy armor, do 3 damage)

Serpent and Valkyrie feed each other. Poison leeches away the health of enemies to where Crossbow's true damage can one-shot them, and Grave Knight's special neuters armor and can kill a heavily poisoned foe, otherwise setting them up for Skull matches to kill them. Every gem match feeds mana to someone. Sounds great, right?

Sure. But what happens when the Hero drops? Serpent's and Valkyrie's skills feed each other _but don't directly damage anyone_ and can't poison anyone past the first two slots. They can set up favorable boards for skulls, but only if skulls are on the board in the right places. So the other team can end up with fresh guys on the bottom with damaging skills, no way to easily kill them off, and death by attrition. It's a decent core for farming souls somewhere else, but run out of Arena in three fights.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
They can -- if they're feeding the right units. Say, Serpent feeding a Red unit with a good damaging skill or Valkyrie feeding a Blue one. The trick with Arena is balancing utility players like those or, say, War Sphinx with troops that simply hit hard. By going for a True Damage / Poison finesse game (which, granted, was based on the choices Arena gave me in the first place, which weren't great) I overspecialized and paid for it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

The Pell posted:

A great team combo will trump the durability of the hero. Its sometimes better to ditch the hero for combos that can endlessly loop. A team like Venoxia, Brian the Lucky, Webspinner, and Valkyrie will have unlimited turns after a couple rounds.

Agreed, for general fighting and for PvP. Webspinner / Venoxia is a sick combination. But in Arena, the Hero is a bit more important.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

DaveWoo posted:

Just got my first Legendary - Keeper of Souls. Looks pretty good.

On a related note, are there any mons out there that convert orbs to Brown or Purple?

Keeper is powerful, but his skill is expensive as hell to charge, though potentially really nasty when it's used.

Acolyte, Deep Borer and Rock Worm create Brown gems randomly. Wight and Giant Spider create Purples randomly. Terraxis (an Epic) converts Blue to Brown, Shadow Dragon and Sylvasi do Yellow to Purple, Finley can convert skulls to Brown or Purple.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

gromdul posted:

Gem boys now has 5 spots, and I promoted everyone who seemed to be active. Having no other metric to go by, I use donations and login. RIP ChickencowSA; I didn't kick you, and hope you come back, but I get it.

No worries. I'm not "gone" gone but it's been a rough week or two at work time-wise. Frankly, the difference between 'officer' and 'recruit' isn't all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Haha, your idle time shows up as last BATTLE instead of last activity/logon? No wonder people think I've deserted.