Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, I'm new to this game but it seems pretty cool. I'm hoping it doesn't end up too addictive--I kind of have a weakness for progression/collection games--but it's definitely engaging so far. First match 3 I've played, actually. Are there any suggested links to a good beginner's guide and/or overall strategy guide? OP and initial googling didn't give me anything clearly excellent.

And any chance I could get a guild invite when someone has the chance? CRASHLAUNCHING_N8KB

edit: VVV thanks a ton! Invite worked, and definitely gonna dig into the posts--appreciated.

onefish fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Well, I played way too much of this game over the past few days and realized it actually was eating up time I wanted to be doing other things (like, uh, working). Guild invite and tips really appreciated, but it turns out this is a game I can't seem to play without feeling a compulsion to grind and grind and grind. Fun while it lasted! Thanks again for the help.

edit: okay, actually I'm just gonna set it aside for a few days rather than leave the guild and delete the game immediately. Maybe I can just chill on it for a bit and come back to it as the leisure-time, commuting etc-only game that I wanted it to be.

VVV thanks, yeah, I think that'll be the plan.

onefish fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 14, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Do the Gem Boiz ever hit 40000 seals and should I save seals for that week, or nah?

VVV sweet, thanks!

onefish fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 20, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

dead in real life posted:

So this might be a dumb question but does anyone happen to know if using 1000 glory to open 50 chests counts the same as "using glory keys" for the purposes of daily tasks? Cause I have 2 of these bastards I want to get rid of, but it bothers me that it says "use x glory keys" rather than "open x glory chests."

I'm fairly certain it does b/c I think I remember doing the same thing, but you can test by using glory for one chest and seeing if it affects the quest counter.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

dead in real life posted:

I don't see that as an option? The three buttons are to use 1 glory key, use all the glory keys i have, or use 1000 glory to open 50 chests.

Oh, didn't realize you had any glory keys, sorry -- when you have none, using glory for 1 chest is an option. Should've realized you'd have tried it if you could.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Think it's worth using event keys this week? New kingdom troops, but I don't really see how to use any of them...

VVV Good point--thanks!

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 27, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

One more aside while I am editing this post: how are our newer players coming on getting all their kingdoms to level 10? I have no idea what the pace of the early game is like these days, and it is surely different from what it once was.

I've been playing almost a month, and it looks like I'm at something like 20 kingdoms maxed, most of the rest at lvl 7, a few at 6. Been playing quiiite a bit, though (though fortunately chilled out from my first weekend with the game).

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Want an end-game but wildly fast Delve team for the Hall of Guardians?

Guardian Banner
Mountain Crusher (my hero is a Sunspear right now, so I have a constant Firestorm)
Infernus
Ishbaala
Abynissia
Explosions aplenty to deal with those pesky stone blocks and to be filling troops. Even with the reduction in mana generated this is a good team. I’m considering replacing Ishbaala with another troop; she’s completely mana-blocked, so her only purpose is to give Infernus a boost at the start of the match.

General Delve thoughts or strategy? I don't quite understand the "base" treasure thing as my Delve levels increase. If I am in fact only getting a bonus when I try for an increase in Delve level, and am not cumulatively increasing the bonus as I go higher, it seems like I might not want to push Delves, but stop at a level where my speed/survivability/full-clear-ability seems comfortable?

Also, man, rewards on Delves seem kinda stingy by comparison with everything else in the game. On the other hand, the structure, rooms, etc are really cool, and I wish I could do more than 3 in a day.

onefish fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 5, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

In the Delve events, you get a chance to start over from level 20, no matter how high your faction level is at the moment. The catch is that the progress you make in the event overwrites your progress in the faction if you go higher. So if, like me, you’ve been hanging out at level 40 to keep Delves clearable in a reasonable time, beating level 50+ in the event will result in your low-but-easy faction being replaced by whatever you reached in the event.

The chickens are getting restless on the official forums over this and other aspects of Delve structure.

AND you can't deliberately stay at a given level in the event like you can in a normal delve.

It's baffling. Delves are really solid in concept and actual gameplay execution, and yet everything else surrounding them is seemingly designed to be frustrating and unrewarding.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, some mid-game questions (lvl 662):

I just got my first Major Orb of Ascension from something or other -- does anyone have thoughts on the best use for this? My Sunbird is almost legendary already so then I can use a regular Orb of Ascension on it. Other than that not sure which of my troops would really really benefit most from it--one of the Guild-War-only troops? I don't currently use any, but would those be useful somewhere?

And I just got enough diamonds to craft my first mythic in the Soulforge. I got pretty lucky with drops so far and currently have Ubastet, Infernus, and Abynissia. Any thoughts on some potential mythics I might want to craft next? Pharos-Ra, definitely, but I just missed Pharos-Ra by a couple weeks and not sure how long it'll be till he comes around again. (Current main teams: I use the Divine team for hard fights & PVP, Sunbird/Firebombx2 for fast explore, Elspeth-Dragon Soul-Zombie-Zombie for explore with soul farming.)

edit VVV: thank you!

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 24, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

What Kingdom/Event/etc was Earth’s Fury? I don’t seem to have it.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Would it be worth doing an announcement in Guild Chat like "Hey everyone, remember to redeem your seals this week?" for ppl who don't check the thread?

I just remember hitting ~38k a week or two ago with no mythic, so it seems odd to be so far behind this week.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

This is probably somewhere in the thread, but...any suggestions on Guild War defense teams (maybe even for specific days)? I finally have a significant number of troops such that I might be able to put non-basically-random defense teams together.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Does a different weapon on your hero count as a unique troop for Guild War defense, or hero can only be used once as a unique troop period?
Also, I just remembered to buy a couple levels of Sentinels, wish I had done so earlier.

Is the Gem Bois Guild Wars ranking sliding downward over the past few weeks? I'm totally unclear on how these brackets/rankings work.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Impermanent posted:

What should players do starting out? I cleared 3 kingdoms and am unsure if classes for my hero are something I should dcare about? It seems like most players don't even use their hero

The general roundup of things to do as a new player:
-Once you've figure out the basic idea of how to play, set your game speed to 3 or 4x, which lets everything go much more quickly.
1) Start unlocking kingdoms (with gold) and game modes (by completing kingdom quest lines)
-You unlock Arena by completing the Broken Spire quests, Soulforge from Blighted Lands, Dungeon from Drifting Sands, Treasure Hunt from Zhul'kari
-You level up the Soulforge with kills -- don't forget to go unlock each Soulforge level every once in a while. You'll never need to pay gems to unlock it, because basically everything you do in the game gets you kills.
2)Once you've unlocked all kingdoms, level them all to 5 with gold (all to 5 first because the first few levels are cheap, but still give some bonuses)
3) Then aim to level kingdoms to 10, starting with Kingdoms that give you a bonus to Magic (Blighted Lands, Karakoth, Darkstone, Silverglade, Zhul'kari).

Notes:
-Of the guaranteed questline troops, Rowanne (from Forest of Thorns) can also be incredibly useful. My first really deliberate team was designed around building up Rowanne's armor, then nuking the other side in one blast. (I used Alastair, the guaranteed epic from Khetar, to help with that.)
-Try the Dungeon daily, but the 2nd and 3rd Dungeon levels can be pretty tough before you have a good team.
-Similarly, you're not going to be able to get farther than the first couple levels in the "pet battles" that occasionally show up until you have at least one "really good" team.
-Don't forget to optimize your Banner for each of your teams.

Some more teambuilding talk:
A "common team" guide (Sunbird team is probably the most important)
A long post on Sunbird & other explore teams, in a "New Player Advice" thread.
Very early in the game, I recall important parts of team building including having all colors represented and minimal "color blocking" (where troops higher in the list block troops lower in the list from getting mana).
A Rock Worm brown looping team (maybe with Deep Borer in first slot and Acolyte in last) could also be a useful very early team.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Save event keys for special kingdom mythics; save guild seals and gem keys for limited time mythics; and save your Glory for the weekly glory troops in the shops.

Just to clarify for this part, a new player probably doesn't want to save gem keys for limited time mythics, b/c they need tons of mythics and legendaries, not just the new ones. Similarly, they can/should use event keys for any kingdoms where the legendary is useful.

Once you're looking for more detail, gowdb.com seems like the best Gems of War info site.

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 15, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

https://imgur.com/a/fiad0Db
Not pictured, level 19 wrath

edit: this is so you can help me make teams!

I'm in Gem Blossoms! GB ftw!

Crimson Bat seemed like the best build-around legendary to me. I googled "Crimson Bat Gems of War team" and found this, which seems reasonable (the other troops are all pretty common)

Reddit post posted:

If you have Alchemist, Valkyrie & Banshee you can add Crimson Bat to them for a pretty nice loop team. Alchemist fuels Valk and Banshee , Valk fuels Bat & Banshee fuels Alchemist & Bat. Alchemist will usually get u to max gold per battle and Banshee & Valk together can usually get u to max souls. I am Level 377 and I still use this team from time to time. You probably want to stick Alchemist in the first slot and prioritize the red & brown matches to get the looping started. Hope this helps!

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So, old special event weapons occasionally come up for Soulforge crafting or store purchase. Does anyone have suggestions on which of these weapons I should keep a particular eye out for? Like, I picked up Divine Protector when it was in the store a while back, for the strong Divine teams. I see Earth's Fury often mentioned for raids/invasions (as right above), so definitely want that. I think I occasionally see people talk about Raid/Invasion teams with Yasmine's Pride, too--any others you find yourself using a bunch?

edit: possibly weapons in the Soulforge are only ever the current weapons, never old ones?

onefish fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 17, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Conclusion: if you want to keep a faction at level 20 for speed-farming purposes, this is the one. Make sure not to level it up during events (including the weekend one going on right now!). The other factions can all be leveled reasonably well using a properly-designed team. If there is interest, I can post early/late/faction teams for the three old factions.

Very pleased by this, since I've accidentally leveled the other factions. Would love to see your team thoughts!

Also, can someone post optimal troop orders for the all-faction teams? I could probably just screenshot how the AI has them in the end-rooms, but an outside reference would be cool (or if there's any possibility the AI doesn't have the optimal setup).

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

It looks like Gem Boiz got more points in Day 2 of this week's Guild wars, but result shows as a loss. I didn't think points updated for the day on matches played afterward, so is this a bug, or am I missing something?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I'm in support of kicking inactives from Gem Boiz and having goons who wanna try-hard join in their place. I'm okay with either official requirements or guild leader judgment for "activity", and I'd think it would make sense to have exceptions for long-term active players who go away for a week or two. (Though if a long-term active leaves for a month without telling anyone, they probably left the game, yeah?)

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Post a pictures of your blue/orange/purple guys and someone will suggest!

For anyone who wants to share or track their troops for whatever reason, consider linking your collection to gowdb.com! Pretty easy and convenient, and auto-updates.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

As we prepare for the new Tower of Doom event, do we want to do another guild reorganization? There are several people in Gem Boiz who have, at most, logged in this week on Monday to collect stuff and haven’t touched the game since. If we can agree on a list of people to send to Blossums and a list of Blossums people to bring to Boiz, we can have a fully active guild again.

Yeah, I think a goon guild without inactive players would be cool. With apologies if y'all are away or anything, inactives in Gem Boiz seem to be: Funso Banjo, DoubleWelp, Russad, Valatar, right? Does anyone on that list even want to keep playing? Plus MarcusSA, who already volunteered to be kicked (sorry to see you go, dude, it was one of your posts in the iOS gaming thread that actually told me about this game).

Kick inactives, and they can reapply to Blossums if they want to start playing again? We'd only be "sending people to Blossums" if they were active but not meeting requirements, but Boiz doesn't have requirements, so... just kick the people who don't play?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Man, I have tons and tons of legendaries -- to the point of 5 copies of several, though none yet ascended to Mythic -- and I still haven't pulled Tesla. Plus started playing after Earth's Fury (and Trickster's Shot) were available. So I'm currently on floor 14 with Mang (titan), Hyndla, Zephyros, and Frost Giant. Haven't lost yet, but feel real fragile. I know that team could be better -- for one, a fully traited Forest Troll might be useful, but I don't have the Arcanes yet.

edit: okay, think I'll switch to Mang, Apothecary, Dryad -- don't have Possessed King, but I'm sure there are other good options for Legendary/Mythics with good traits there. (Hyndla? Mab? Khorvash?)
edit2: Mang / Apothecary / [Dryad] / Scylla feels pretty solid. Haven't cast Dryad much but I like having the option.

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 9, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So do ppl think that this Doomed Blade weapon will be useful in the future and I should buy it?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

As mentioned above, this is my own personal opinions. I am happy to discuss anything people feel is out of place or have questions about.

So what are the teams that use the crafting priorities or strong legendaries, and in what situations have you found they're best?
(I currently have Divine Protector/Infernus/Ubastet/Ish as my primary high-level content team, and TDS/Pharos for soul farming.)

p.s. I think Tower of Doom was pretty fun--the coordination aspect was neat, the challenge was fairly interesting to me, and the rewards didn't seem terrible (though lots of people were complaining about them on official forums/etc). I got to level 24 with Mang (Titan)/Apothecary/Dryad/Scylla, and who knows how important Scylla was--I think she just sped up the games a bit, since I needed skulls to win. Didn't use the Doomed Blade in the event at all, but outside the event I liked it in the early stages of the raid, and I'm guessing I'll use it in other situations where I want a "sweeper" to clear lower-level teams fast (it significantly outclasses Black Manacles and I don't have Dawnbringer yet).

onefish fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 12, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Devor posted:

I think the purpose of the list is for people who think "I have like 10 or 20 orange troops I opened, which ones are good enough to support a powerful team or consider building around?" so they don't have to list all twenty.

And I think spending diamonds on legendary troops is a bit of a trap. By the time a newbie has enough diamonds to make a Legendary, they've almost certainly opened a decent enough one to complete content with - and they'll need those diamonds for Mythics to push ahead to the next power level.

Ah, that makes sense. And I agree re: spending diamonds on legendaries--glad I didn't do it.

Is there a "best" Doomskull team worth making? Wondering if I want a high-level-content team that doesn't use hero, for times I want to level random heroes in explore rather than stay on Priest/Titan.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Ah, whoops, I wasn't clear -- I meant if I want to level new heroes in (normal) Explore with Sunbird/Firebomb/Firebomb/Hero (Imperial Jewel), which is my speed traitstone farming team. That makes my Divine team unoptimized (though still reasonably solid), since I can't change back without paying gems, so it seems possible there's a better team for a pet battle/etc that arises when my hero is something low-level. (But yeah, I should also probably start leveling heroes with a speed soul-farming team as well.)

Devor posted:

For Explore, aren't you doing it on the lowest difficulty? I think a Souls team (I really like Dragon Soul for his AOE, plus a couple heroes with +% souls, plus a hero so I can keep working on leveling up the hero class) is best for easy explores. Lets you farm souls while you search for Trait Stones.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Thoughts on Bounty teams this weekend? Captain looks not-so-useful?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Here's a Gem Boiz tower-so-far compilation from thread + game chat + discord (which I'll try to keep updated):

Floor 1
Rare room: ?
Ultra-rare room: Unlock
Epic room: Armor
Legendary room: ?

Floor 2
Rare room: ?
Ultra-rare room: ?
Epic room: Unlock
Legendary room: ?

Floor 3
Rare room: Attack
Ultra-rare room: Haste
Epic room: Haste
Legendary room: Unlock

Floor 4
Rare room: Life
Legendary room: Armor

Floor 5
Rare room: Unlock
Ultra-rare room: Magic
Epic room: Attack
Legendary room: Life

Floor 6
Rare room: Armor

Floor 7
Ultra-rare room: Luck

Floor 8
Ultra-rare room: Armor

Floor 9
Rare room: Haste

Floor 10
Epic room: Life

Floor 11
Legendary room: Attack

Floor 12
Rare room: Power
Epic room: Luck

Floor 13
Ultra-rare room: Magic

Floor 14
Rare room: Haste
Ultra-Rare room: Unlock

Floor 15
Ultra-Rare room: Luck

Floor 16:
Ultra-rare room: Life

Floor 17
Ultra-rare room: Life
Epic room: "gently caress this room" (Fireball)

Floor 18:
Ultra-rare room: Luck
Epic room: Magic

Floor 19
Epic room: Magic

Floor 20

Floor 21:

Floor 22:
Ultra-rare room: Attack
Epic room: Luck

If someone hasn't done their tower at all yet, seems like filling out the blanks for floors 1 and 2 would be useful in case there's a Luck scroll or something other ppl should get.

onefish fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 6, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Whoops. Yeah, diff for each guild.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

What's the point of these Doom cards?

They're troops! Each associated with a Kingdom, etc. You can use them in teams, they count toward Kingdom Power requirements, etc. Extras are for Ascension.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, people ask this all the time in the game forums, but I have enough diamonds to craft a mythic (relatively soon to be 2) and am not sure what to go for next. Currently have: Infernus, Pharos-Ra, Ubaster, Abynissia, Fallen Valdis, Stonehammer, Wulfgarok, Yasmine's Chosen. Do I go for one of the Apocalypse troops (Famine?), since I have no chance of getting those in chests? I guess I'd like to know if there are any mythics that are parts of teams people really like, or key to some really good Guild Wars defense teams, or whatever.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I think your very first order of business should be to fully trait Fire Bomb to set up a Sunbird / 2x Fire Bomb / either Rowanne or Hero team to use for quick explores when you need stones to trait other troops. And the very first thing to trait with that team should be Sunbird.

I think Pet Battles are probably mostly a waste of time until you have some more troops. But we ought to be able to figure out a team for you that can at least do a level or two of the Dungeon each day.

edit: Fire Bomb's third trait lets it start at full mana so you can cast it without matching gems, and the explodes will often fill Sunbird, which can often kill the the remainder of the enemies. It's a team that can kill multiple enemies quickly no matter what's on the board you get, and doesn't require you to spend much time looking for matches. And yes, always explore at normal difficulty. Exploring at higher difficulty is essentially never worth it, as odds for traitstones don't change.

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 13, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Purchasing shop tiers in a faction event like the one today is the best way to get Jar of Eyes, right? (The only other way is too-expensive Soulforge crafting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I used to believe that Celestials weren't that important, but I saw some discussion on the official forums that reminded me--while you won't need too many for traiting up your main teams in early or midgame, and will probably have extras, they're the rarest traitstone drops and *eventually* you're going to want to trait every troop (for Kingdom power).

I have a large stockpile at the moment, but I've avoided converting them to arcanes, because I don't want to get to a point a few months down the line where my impatience now results in hours of unnecessary grinding then.