Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thread is moving into a bi-weekly/when I feel like it format from now on

Hello!

Welcome to what will hopefully be the weekly ADTRWVEGETA anime movie of the week thread. My intent is to showcase some popular, obscure or maybe just plain weird movies, and to that end I shall be putting up a brief description of a new movie each week that people can watch and maybe even post about. This is not a simulwatch, you can view it at your leisure and I will simply be suggesting a new title each week.

Before I start on this weeks movie I just want to mention a couple of things:

1. Spoilers: there will be no general prohibition on spoilers since people are likely to be watching at any time during the week, if you are really bothered by this please avoid the thread until after you've seen the film. To this end I will be posting the new movie on both the current last page of the thread and also in the OP every Sunday so the spoiler shy can just check it there.

2. Seafood has requested that I don't post any torrent links at all, though I will still be posting any legal streaming options if they exist. I will mention if a show is completely unlicensed and I'm pretty sure most people know where to acquire things from, if anyone is still having problems feel free to contact me privately ONLY if there are no legal means of watching.

I'm being lazy again but here's a trailer for Porco Rosso, it's great you should watch it sometime this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awEC-aLDzjs

PR is probably my favourite Ghibli film, though Totoro comes close. The attention to detail is absolutely stunning, water laps and sprays, a loose metal panel on the side of a plane clatters and flaps in the wind. The sequence where Marco recounts his brush with death in the First World War is probably one of the greatest sequences are filmed, animated or otherwise. Miyazaki's films always have a palpable sense of time and place and while the film is really mostly fun and lighthearted, the feeling of regret that the carefree days of playing hero around the Adriatic Sea are ending with the coming storm of fascism and another war pervade the movie.

Since it's a Ghibli film is it obviously liscensed and probably streaming somewhere, if you get chance though you should really watch the vibrant BD version.

Links to previous weeks movies:

You Are Umasou! Write up is sadly lost to time because it was only in the original OP and I didn't think to make a copy of it. :ughh:
R.O.D
Lensman
Patema Inverted
Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo Alternative link to Srice's better write up

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

*Attempts to find the Umasou/Godzilla bit from AMV Hell 7, fails*

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
Really, dude? Not in this thread, c'mon. :geno:

Alright, actual post- I look forward to seeing a whole bevy of movies and shorts. Umasou looks adorable and an interesting starting point.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I don't know if I'll watch this film but I will watch The Land Before Time and report back

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gonna watch this.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Awesome. Going to watch this tonight, looking forward to it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The movie was a neat family drama piece, though it was kinda weird how almost everyone walked and stood up like humans.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
2 minutes in and already several baby fatalities.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

My Gay Son Before Time

Not entirely my thing, but entertaining and I'll give it a rating of good for what it is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Strange Quark posted:

The movie was a neat family drama piece, though it was kinda weird how almost everyone walked and stood up like humans.

Didn't really worry about that in a film that involved a T-Rex karate kicking his dad, but at least it was limited to species that did actually stand on two legs, as far as I can remember.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I am going to participate.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a tyrannosaurus did pushups, standing upright is fairly mundane in comparison

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Heart doing push-up's to strengthen his little T-Rex arms might be my favourite bit.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

a tyrannosaurus did pushups, standing upright is fairly mundane in comparison

i think it wifflewaffles a lot but the current thinking is that trex arms were pretty strong, comparatively

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched the film. it was cute and sad. sadcute. pretty drat well animated as well

way more hardcore than i remember land before time being

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kawaii!!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I'm gonna try the TV series since the movie ending felt more like the start of something more than the end.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
Like the other posts, this film was cute and sad at many points. Pleasantly surprised that almost everyone had a happy ending.
And wow, all those dinosaur kicks.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh no! All these dinosaurs are too cute! :kimchi: That was a really sweet movie, whoever made it deserves all the money that the new Jurassic movie made. The training montages were great, all the designs were adorable, tiny Umasou making patterns in the fields was super cute and flying kicks are clearly tools of the only most powerful dinosaurs. I wish we could have seen Umasou grow big though because ankylosaurus are the best dinosaurs. I hope they visit Pero again

/gush

Knorth fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 18, 2015

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

That was way more of a movie than I was expecting. The backgrounds were really beautiful, too:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm still participating. I just haven't yet.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Heart doing push-up's to strengthen his little T-Rex arms might be my favourite bit.

Either this or Umasou's pellet poops.

Kinda thinking about adding this to the dad manga thread's anime list haha.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Whoa, this is a pretty brutal look at dino fun times so far. Gorgeous, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything Burrito posted:

Kinda thinking about adding this to the dad manga thread's anime list haha.

Lol I never thought of that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
omigahd dino push-ups

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
baby dino poops -> crop circles

This movie's great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, that was a really good dino dad movie. Touching, tackled much heavier topics than, say, Land Before Time, and it looked great. Some really amazingly dynamic scenes and gorgeous backgrounds.

Thanks for starting with this. I'd maybe heard the name before, but I certainly would never have watched this without the thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If never heard of it until dogsicle mentioned it so I consider this a success already. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sakurazuka, a thought: you might consider announcing any licensed movies a week further out, to give folks time to acquire them legally if that's their jam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's not a bad idea, in fact I'm probably going to announce a couple of weeks worth at a time in advance then do a proper write up for each week for that weeks film.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On that note the next two weeks features will be:

Read or Die OAV starting 22nd August

Lensman starting 29th August

Both have been licensed in the past but are now out of print as far as I can tell, if anyone knows any different please let me know.

RoD is a three part OAV but all three parts only total 90 minutes.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I hope reading subtitles counts, because I don't wanna die.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm sure subtitles count. Probably.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Lensman anime actually received fansubs really recently. I don't think you could get it as anything but a dub before.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

On that note the next two weeks features will be:

Read or Die OAV starting 22nd August

Lensman starting 29th August

Both have been licensed in the past but are now out of print as far as I can tell, if anyone knows any different please let me know.

RoD is a three part OAV but all three parts only total 90 minutes.

Awesome! Looking forward to re-watching RoD, Yomiko was great the first time round and I bet she'll be just as charming on the second. Never heard of Lensman and resisting the urge to look up what it is beforehand

Knorth fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 22, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay so I finally watched You Are Umasou! and I'm angry that this very silly kids movie has reduced me to kind of a blubbering mess. I liked it so much you guys. I love that the mom's plan for raising a carnivore was clearly doomed in a very sweet way, and that all the heartbreak in the movie is very much a part of the natural order of things. Also, violence as a means to solve emotional problems, and the t-rex delinquents.

Kylra posted:

My Gay Son Before Time

I liked it so much!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty much everything to do with his mum at the end had me going, especially 'He could have eaten me!'

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"Did you think he could live on one meal?" Hyhcgbffdbggfhbibb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, on to this week's 'movie' which is actually not a movie at all!

ROD - Read Or Die

Suggested by Senerio

ROD is a three part OAV from 2001 and is basically a James Bond movie but everyone can do magic. Set in an alternate universe where the British Empire never fell, it stars a half-British, half-Japanese girl called Yomiko Readman (AKA The Paper) who only wants two things out of life, to read her insane collection of books and to be a teacher. Unfortunately for her, her innate skill in controlling paper means that she works for the British Library's Special Operations Division (or just The Library) a secret intelligence organisation which works to further the interests of the Empire.

Mainly though she just really loves books.

ROD is just a really fun show, with practically zero down time it drops you in the world and lets you figure stuff out for yourself (not that it's terribly complex) and is one of the few shows based on an LN/manga that assumes you're familiar with the characters and uses that to its advantage. The animation is constantly great, coming just before the switch over to digital paint stuff that meant that OAV's for the next 5 years or so would look awful, and it's obvious that a lot of money and talent went in to it. Yomiko herself is one of the better examples of that classic anime trope, the competent hero who acts like a goof until poo poo gets serious and she's a much more natural change than the usual personality switch that often seems to accompany other character's versions.

Anyway it's great, has cool action and animation and a funky soundtrack and you should watch it.

It was licensed years ago but as far as I can tell has been out of print for a long time so you can acquire it from wherever you like.

• Locked thread