Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm watching Lensman now, with online buddies. The CGI is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This has a really good soundtrack.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You can definitely tell this is a Kawajiri anime. I'll make some gifs of scenes that are really Kawajiri to me.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The song that plays on the starship after the dad dies rules.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sudden tentacles :mrgw:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This movie makes no goddamn sense but gently caress is it cool looking.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tasteful, family-friendly tentacle action.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I still don't know what's going on, but it's still really cool.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ALIEN RAVE!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm #1 MISTER MISCHIEF!!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Did I mention the soundtrack is good yet? The alien designs are cool too.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Was there some sort of Space Disco law in Japan in the 80s, where every scifi anime needed a disco scene?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jesus, there's two space disco scenes.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I like how the Emperor, or whatever he is, takes the Star Wars admiral death joke to its natural conclusion, where he just kills all of his advisors except the cute one.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to be making a lot of gifs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished the movie. It's a fun watch, I never really followed the plot very well because I"m drunk, but it was an excellent visual spectacle with a good 80s soundtrack, that sadly wasn't included in the torrent goodies. Now that I've finished, it's time to upload 101 mb of gifs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Linked for big
http://i.imgur.com/oGovVmz.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/GyqCa9r.gifv

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad you made a bunch gifs so me and Burrito didn't have to figure out how to. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also discos was how you knew it was the future.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Has the movie for this weekend been posted or did I just forget?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

I like how the Emperor, or whatever he is, takes the Star Wars admiral death joke to its natural conclusion, where he just kills all of his advisors except the cute one.

Post the cute advisor.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

Has the movie for this weekend been posted or did I just forget?

Still Lensman until I change it tomorrow, when it's going to be Patema Inverted (once I've actually watched it).
Current movie is always in the OP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Now watching Patema Inverted for the first time.
I forgot my name was on the Kickstarter backers list at the start of the UK BD :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This weeks movie is Patema Inverted

Written and directed by the dude behind Time of Eve is a very Ghibli-esque mixeing fantasy and coming of ages elements together. It's obviously not quite as well animated as an actual Ghibli production but still has some very nice looking scenes.

It's kind of hard to talk about it without giving away too much of the story, but it boils down to the adventures of Patema, a typically feisty young girl who lives underground, and her desire to follow in her guardian's footsteps and see the surface, with a bit of romance and dystopian society mixed in.

I had some issues with it namely the two dimensionally evil badguy whose only motivation seemed to be hating the Inverts because reasons and Patema herself who never seemed to quite occupy the main character/heroine role the title suggests. However i's definitely worth a watch once if only for the gorgeous backgrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa7sa-Zd-3E]

The movie is very licensed and available on DVD/Bluray and also streaming on Hulu in the US, though it might be the dub only.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

streaming on Hulu in the US, though it might be the dub only.

Oh boy, nine ad breaks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wow, rude.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh no, not another vampire story!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

This is also on Amazon Prime if people have that and not Hulu, but it's also the dub. I'll check this out later, I really liked Time of Eve, but I don't think I ever finished the last episode.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Patema Inverted was a cool movie with a really neat premise and atmosphere, though I'm not a fan of dystopian settings, and the one in this was especially dumb and silly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Netflix also has it but only on dvd. That was the route I ended up going with (actually a few weeks ago) because all the legal streaming options were dub-only.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I usually like dystopian stuff but the 'surface' society and especially it's cackling evil leader was the worst thing about the movie imo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ahhh! Harvest Moon and real life studying have caused me to fall behind on my anime responsibilties, I am in despair.

I will watch Lensman and Patema Inverted this weekend, this is my oath

a_cute_anime_pumping_themselves_up.jpg :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Current next couple of weeks line up:

Sept 13th: Lupin III The Secret of Mamo
Sept 20th: Porco Rosso

As far as I can tell Mamo has been out of print for a while but if anyone knows any different please let me know.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

As far as I can tell Mamo has been out of print for a while but if anyone knows any different please let me know.

The dub of Mamo is up on Hulu and there's a DVD put out by Discotek. It's temporarily out of stock on Amazon, though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmm, I didn't really want to do three lisenced films in a row, but as long as nobody minds?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Hmm, I didn't really want to do three lisenced films in a row, but as long as nobody minds?

It's the easiest way for me to watch these things at the moment if they're on streaming sites.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Patema Inverted is a cool movie. The conceit is neat and I like how they use it to play with the romantic development. It's a slight and simple film, the only stuff I actively dislike were the really really bad looking slow motion sequences. Slow motion in anime is generally really hard to pull off convincingly and I'd rather animators avoid it if they can't get all the frames it requires and this movie had some pretty bad examples. I still like it a lot though!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
can we use this thread as a general "movie rec thread' or what

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I've been busy lately so I gotta catch up on the last few but I am hella pumped for Mamo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

'NO U: The Movie'

Great recommendation.

The "Don't explore. Don't look too far into the distance." was a good but still subtle tell. I can see how that kind of society would develop after a time, becoming more and more militant about those rules.

Gravity experiments randomly converting stuff to what is effectively dark matter is damned cool.

The ring around the moon should be mostly edge-on, though it might librate also. I'm always too picky about space stuff.

Just realized the lack of a moon was a tell as well.

"Wait, those aren't glowsticks..." - Actual words out of my mouth. Might have to watch Lensman now, though it seems oddly familiar.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 10, 2015

• Locked thread