Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CommieGIR posted:

If those child laborers don't like their working conditions, they can leave.

Now get back to work, no weekends!

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Jeff Bezos Assures Amazon Employees That HR Working 100 Hours A Week To Address Their Complaints

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Typo posted:

2) Sexual harassment is an issue in the IT industry, but unions in the US have being pretty socially conservative, and have traditionally hated women and minorities because they competed with white male workers for jobs. I'm simply not sure if unions actually solve the problem.

I won't disagree with the history of race-segregated unions and what not, but looking towards the gains made by unions in women led industries like nursing or the $15/hour campaign for fast food workers (around 60/40 split white/non-white form what I can find) shows me that traditions are much different today.

Besides, we're comparing this against tech workplaces that are really, really white and really, really male. I don't think that should be ignored.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Solkanar512 posted:

I won't disagree with the history of race-segregated unions and what not, but looking towards the gains made by unions in women led industries like nursing or the $15/hour campaign for fast food workers (around 60/40 split white/non-white form what I can find) shows me that traditions are much different today.

Besides, we're comparing this against tech workplaces that are really, really white and really, really male. I don't think that should be ignored.

But that's kinda the thing though.

Nurse's unions made gains for women because they are probably majority female.

An union in the tech industry would be vast majority male, which means that they would suffer the exact same problems with gender discrimination as currently experienced.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

twodot posted:

My experience is that this is true, but then a lot of people get home and log into their work computer remotely and are sending email at all hours. Concrete data would be good if you have it.

24/7 connectivity is a bitch, it's tough to stand up to your superiors and say you need to have an end of the day. The problem with Amazon right now is that there is no "End of Day". It's the same standards that allow someone who goes from hourly to salary working for Kroger/Walmart/other lovely retailer to get raped by non-compensated overtime work. Answering email on off hours should count toward overtime period(minimum 1 hour for the gall of interruption).

All of these problems could be solved by the update of salary exempt work place standards. If I have to answer email at midnight(I've got timestamps fucker) when my work hours are 9-5 to get to 40, drat straight it's overtime and I should be compensated accordingly. Salary does not mean slave to the company.

It's abuse of salaray exempt work standards plain and simple, we will see more blatant bleed into every corporation(too late) if it isn't fixed soon. The new crop of CEO's and CFO's are very aware of 24/7 connectivity and will leverage it mercilessly,

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 18, 2015

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Take 20 min to read through this and tell all the ways I can use the current exempt laws to keep any employee who uses a computer chained to the corporation 24/7.

https://www.workplacefairness.org/overtime-exemptions

hint: There are alot.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

quote:

27. I work with computers: how does the law apply to me?

The increasing use of computers in business has generated some special rules in the FLSA defining "computer professionals."
To qualify for the computer employee exemption, the employee:

Must be compensated either on a salary or fee basis at a rate not less than $455 per week or, if compensated on an hourly basis, at a rate not less than $27.63 an hour;
Must be employed as a computer systems analyst, computer programmer, software engineer or other similarly skilled worker in the computer field performing the duties described below;
The employee's primary duty must consist of:
The application of systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users, to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications;
The design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing or modification of computer systems or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design specifications;
The design, documentation, testing, creation or modification of computer programs related to machine operating systems; or
A combination of the above duties, the performance of which requires the same level of skills.

The computer employee exemption does not include employees engaged in the manufacture or repair of computer hardware and related equipment (although employees in these jobs may be exempt as executives or administrators if their actual job duties fit within those definitions). Employees whose work is highly dependent upon, or facilitated by, the use of computers and computer software programs (e.g., engineers, drafters and others skilled in computer-aided design software), but who are not primarily engaged in computer systems analysis and programming or other similarly skilled computer-related occupations identified in the primary duties test described above, are also not exempt under the computer employee exemption.

poo poo you wrote any code in the course of your job. You are anointed a junior programmer/analyst.

This list is a job qualifier for working in the 21st century if your assigned a company laptop.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BlueBlazer posted:

poo poo you wrote any code in the course of your job. You are anointed a junior programmer/analyst.

This list is a job qualifier for working in the 21st century if your assigned a company laptop.

California is a little better about it:

quote:

(h) Except, as provided in subparagraph (i), an employee in the computer software field who is paid on an hourly basis shall
be exempt, if all of the following apply:
(i) The employee is primarily engaged in work that is intellectual or creative and that requires the exercise of discretion and independent judgment.
(ii) The employee is primarily engaged in duties that consist of one or more of the following:
—The application of systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users, to determine hardware, software, or system functional specifications.
—The design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing, or modification of computer systems or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design specifications.
—The documentation, testing, creation, or modification of computer programs related to the design of software or hardware
for computer operating systems.
(iii) The employee is highly skilled and is proficient in the theoretical and practical application of highly specialized information to computer systems analysis, programming, and software engineering. A job title shall not be determinative of the applicability of this exemption.
(iv) The employee’s hourly rate of pay is not less than forty-one dollars ($41.00). The Office of Policy, Research and Legislation shall adjust this pay rate on October 1 of each year to be effective on January 1 of the following year by an amount equal to the percentage increase in the California Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers.*
(i) The exemption provided in subparagraph (h) does not apply to an employee if any of the following apply:
(i) The employee is a trainee or employee in an entry-level position who is learning to become proficient in the theoretical and practical application of highly specialized information to computer systems analysis, programming, and software engineering.
(ii) The employee is in a computer-related occupation but has not attained the level of skill and expertise necessary to
work independently and without close supervision.
(iii) The employee is engaged in the operation of computers or in the manufacture, repair, or maintenance of computer hardware and related equipment.
(iv) The employee is an engineer, drafter, machinist, or other professional whose work is highly dependent upon or facilitated by the use of computers and computer software programs and who is skilled in computer-aided design software, including CAD/CAM, but who is not in a computer systems analysis or programming occupation.

*Right now it's $41.29

Basically you're not exempt in California unless you make more than $41/hr, or you've got employees under you, or you work in software outside of entry-level positions, of course.

It's pretty funny how much they bend over backwards for software.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cicero posted:

You mean selling off contracts around deliverables, not employees, right?

I mean that half of HP's employees will now be working for a different company than the other half. I'm sure someone has put a valuation on those "assets" during the split, that's just how things work nowadays.

Even ignoring splits, it's really really common to buy companies or product teams more for the personnel than for the actual contracts/deliverables/etc. Teams that have demonstrated that they can work together and deliver a product save you a lot of hiring churn. If they're at least tangentially experienced with your planned project, so much the better.

There's even a cute term for it, "acqui-hire".

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 19, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean that half of HP's employees will now be working for a different company than the other half.

Even ignoring splits, it's really really common to buy companies or product teams more for the personnel than for the actual contracts/deliverables/etc. The term you're looking for is "acqui-hire".
Yes I'm well aware of acquihires. The original statement doesn't make sense though because the employees aren't captive. They can just quit whenever they want (and employees do quit, all the time). Speculation would be paying them more than they're really worth right now because you think they'll appreciate and you can use their increased value later, but devs hop jobs too often in tech for that to work.

The high salaries are, I think, a manifestation that even junior devs really can be worth that much, and that one of them may turn out to be a genius who does something incredible is useful but not the primary motivator to paying well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We had a friend in Hyderabad that worked for Amazon who took the job posting as a way to move up the company more quickly. A lot of companies offer that for people to take positions in India for a few years.

He was basically told to go out there and "hit the ground running" and blah blah blah whatever.

India doesn't have a standardized address system, it's impossible to maintain working HVAC systems, and all the drivers and warehouse workers would steal anything not bolted down. Needless to say it was a complete disaster. He would be awake roughly 20 hours a day because they'd all send him angry emails and phone calls during their hours.

He drank a lot often muttered his career was over. His wife divorced him while he was there.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Cicero posted:

Yes I'm well aware of acquihires. The original statement doesn't make sense though because the employees aren't captive. They can just quit whenever they want (and employees do quit, all the time).

Great way to quietly gut your pension system too. Oh you no longer work for X Systems but this contractor Y we contract your work out to who can reduce costs in ways we can't in our company policies.

Also not true you can quit whenever you want, most people can't do that. You know bills/debt/etc, commitment to their fellow employees, social capital you've built while working for the machine. It's nice to watch your friends working in call centers/billing departments swirl down the contracting hole hoping to quietly move back to the old company where they had benefits. Just so the new boss can drive a new Mercedes every week.

Dev's live in their own trenches. While not awesome, are way better than the rest of the company that supports them. you will never get Dev's (Who can't seem to define what they actually do half the time) to unionize but everyone else in billing departments/call centers/support roles has every right to demand collective representation before they burn it down. Amazon's just moving the mentality up out of the real trenches where it has existed for 20 years to those that make enough to have exposure, and act as if they are special for being treated this way.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 19, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

BlueBlazer posted:

Also not true you can quit whenever you want, most people can't do that.
But you know who can do that? Highly-paid software developers in a booming job market, which is who we were specifically talking about.

quote:

you will never get Dev's
Why are you using apostrophes like this and capitalizing devs?

quote:

(Who can't seem to define what they actually do half the time)
Software developers code and do supporting code-related tasks (design, debugging, code reviews, testing, etc.).

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Maybe I should back up and say that focusing on Software devs(I type badly and German when engorged with workers rage) is a bit of red herring. If you read all the horror stories involving Amazon white-collar abuse, it isn't just Software Developers we are talking about, those special little butterflies. It's just so easy to dial in on that species of developer, because what they do is basically magic to most of the world.

Developers aren't just in software they're are operational developers, system developers, product developers, resource developers, X developers; X being some sort of business related component/process. Those tasked with displaying creativity and drive in the creation of an incomplete company unit. Software Developers make up a small portion of that category. Please argue my definition of Dev if it doesn't suit your use case, I just defined it for mine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I basically agree with you, I think you're just missing the original context for this sub-thread, which was a non-programming engineer expressing dismay at how much more new software engineers (at some companies) make than him. That then turned into a discussion around "why do even very junior programmers at these companies make so much money?"

For example, new grad engineers at Amazon and MS are starting at like the 120-130k range, Google is like 150-160k (and Facebook is probably the same or a bit more).

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Cicero posted:

I basically agree with you, I think you're just missing the original context for this sub-thread, which was a non-programming engineer expressing dismay at how much more new software engineers (at some companies) make than him. That then turned into a discussion around "why do even very junior programmers at these companies make so much money?"

For example, new grad engineers at Amazon and MS are starting at like the 120-130k range, Google is like 150-160k (and Facebook is probably the same or a bit more).

Meh your right, just so much worker rage lately.

How many junior programmers actually make that much though out of a pool of newly hired? My gut would say there are edge cases that have examples of exceptional work that's immediately identifiable as marketable ideas.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

BlueBlazer posted:

How many junior programmers actually make that much though out of a pool of newly hired? My gut would say there are edge cases that have examples of exceptional work that's immediately identifiable as marketable ideas.
Yes and no. Those are edge cases in that only a relatively small number of newly graduating CS majors will get jobs that pay that much. But it's not an extreme edge case, either; those companies* each have got to be hiring in the hundreds of new grad engineers each year. And look at how many new CS grads there are, annually:

So hiring by these BigTechCos is, while nowhere near the majority, still a non-trivial share of the overall hiring scene. And my experience is that very few junior software developers already have done exceptional work prior to graduation. I personally don't know anyone from my time at Amazon and Google who you could really say that about. I'd imagine that most of the real college coding superstars are probably founding their own companies (although they may end up at a big tech co later via acquisition).

* And there are others that undoubtedly pay similarly, like Apple and Yahoo, and a lot of successful later-stage startups like Dropbox, Uber, AirBnB, etc.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
what are all these "devs" gonna do once the bubble bursts

edit: serious question. i work a day or two a week for a startup (on the logistics side) which is pretty clearly hemorrhaging money. once VC wises up and realizes not everything (or even most things) is going to be The Next Twitter or something that they can sell, what do you see a nation of smelly computer programmers used to making 6 figures out of college doing?

Your Weird Uncle fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 19, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Cicero posted:

I actually am a programming engineer. Even though I understand it, it still amazes me that some new grads make that much.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

BlueBlazer posted:

Average salary iirc aren't -that- high for new grads, it's just the ones who do get shitloads of money are disproportionately loud about it

It's actually pretty hard to pass amazon/google/FB/MSFT interviews

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Weird Uncle posted:

They're gonna drive down wages.

SquadronROE posted:

I actually am a programming engineer. Even though I understand it, it still amazes me that some new grads make that much.

My dad is a geologist and he teaches Petroleum Engineers (or did until recently). They start out of college making $10k more than what he did after 30 years in academia, and he made six figures. poo poo is just as crazy and pretty much for the same reasons.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 19, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I honestly feel unionization discussion would be better in it's own thread while this should rather focus on the bizarre belief work is it's own virtue.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Your Weird Uncle posted:

edit: serious question. i work a day or two a week for a startup (on the logistics side) which is pretty clearly hemorrhaging money. once VC wises up and realizes not everything (or even most things) is going to be The Next Twitter or something that they can sell, what do you see a nation of smelly computer programmers used to making 6 figures out of college doing?

It's because things like the low US tax rate provides lot incentive for rich people to invest in private equity.

Also unlike the last dotcom bubble companies like Google and Apple developed really deep pockets.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
That paying sperglords a disproportionate amount of money compared to their peers creates a sense of entitlement and disconnect from the world at large? That everyone should attempt to work to the same level as them and their privileged time?

The only reason I bring unionization up is that these work practices/environments are bleeding out of the software development bubble into the rest of the white collar world and the only way it's going to stop is through collective action in the workplace.

I think my arguments against a 24/7 workplace and strengthening of the salaried exempt standards are very appropriate for this thread, as they are in direct contrast of the championed models in today's tech sector.

I'm going to stop using unionization as it's a dirty word it seems, and will forever use the phrase "collective bargaining".

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

BlueBlazer posted:

That paying sperglords a disproportionate amount of money compared to their peers creates a sense of entitlement and disconnect from the world at large? That everyone should attempt to work to the same level as them and their privileged time?
idk dude, I don't understand why every time an IT industry thread comes up people think everyone who program is some spergie. Most people who are in the software industry are 30+/married, have families and life outside of work and are there mostly to collect a paycheque.

quote:

The only reason I bring unionization up is that these work practices/environments are bleeding out of the software development bubble into the rest of the white collar world and the only way it's going to stop is through collective action in the workplace.

That's not because of labor practices though, that's because of technology being produced like the smartphone.

E: unionize the programmers threads are also amusing because it's like the one time when D&D leftists actually gets to talk to the workers they want to unionize, and the result is usually to insult and alienate them.

Typo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 19, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Typo posted:

idk dude, I don't understand why every time an IT industry thread comes up people think everyone who program is some spergie. Most people who are in the software industry are 30+/married, have families and life outside of work and are there mostly to collect a paycheque.

I'm interested in demographics of workers, do you have any links about this? Particularly the Bay Area if possible.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Typo posted:

idk dude, I don't understand why every time an IT industry thread comes up people think everyone who program is some spergie.
It makes it a lot easier to express your distaste for them if you pretend they're sufficiently abnormal.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 19, 2015

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

computer parts posted:

I'm interested in demographics of workers, do you have any links about this? Particularly the Bay Area if possible.

I'm not sure about the bay area, but that has being the case in just about every company I worked at outside of SF startups.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Typo posted:

That's not because of labor practices though, that's because of technology being produced like the smartphone.

E: unionize the programmers threads are also amusing because it's like the one time when D&D leftists actually gets to talk to the workers they want to unionize, and the result is usually to insult and alienate them.

To be fair that is partly because they seem to be kind of dim and really selfish,

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I'm actually very curious how many people "want" to work 60+ hours per week, and how many are simply "talking the talk" while participating in an unfettered arms race that began with "to the next promotion" and has now reached its inevitable conclusion of "to not get fired and replaced by someone that arms races harder than me".

It seems that, psychologically, it is very easy to do. When I was working and going to school, I kept taking overtime (to try and pay for school) and ended up working 75 days in a row, 60 hours a week. Or, from January to Easter. When I hit Easter break and they shut the plant down, I had abandoned all my hobbies for so long that I had absolutely no idea what to do with myself. It was a mess, and I told myself I wasn't going to do that poo poo ever again.

As far as "talking the talk" goes, I do it quite a bit of it ironically, but I learned today that apparently it doesn't come off as irony. :v: I had one of my co-workers chide me for being such a "company man" today, and it took me awhile to explain to them that it's all ironic and I hold no illusions that they could cut me tomorrow without so much as a "good luck". I have to imagine that at least some of this "I love working so many hours a week!" is a similar coping mechanism. I'd hope, anyway.

This, I think, is the real benefit of unionization: the protections and setting limits to say "This amount of time spent at work is *enough*. When you meet these criteria you are an employee in good standing". I figure, if someone *wants* to work more to chase that next promotion, well, then that's on them, but the arms race should not extend all the way down to simply trying to maintain your current spot on the treadmill. That's appalling.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cicero posted:

Those ranges seem way too high to me, I know people who started around 100k but those estimates seem to be 30-50% too high

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair that is partly because they seem to be kind of dim and really selfish,
On the other hand, a lot of leftist D&D'ers seem jealous and filled with impotent, childish rage.

For example:

BlueBlazer posted:

That paying sperglords a disproportionate amount of money compared to their peers creates a sense of entitlement and disconnect from the world at large?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'd wager a lot of the people working 60+ hours or whatever insane number is trotted out aren't exactly working all 60 of those hours or are insanely inefficient with their time. Or consider 'research' online part of their job.

Also reminds me of the people howling about how the CEO of Treehouse working 32 hours a week isn't trying hard enough. You gotta be like Marissa Mayer and work 130 hours a week!!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...1ced_story.html

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Typo posted:

Those ranges seem way too high to me, I know people who started around 100k but those estimates seem to be 30-50% too high
Nah, it's gotten pretty cray cray recently:

quote:

Company: Amazon
Number of previous internships: 1
Former intern: Y
Degree: B.S.
Base salary: 100,000
Signing bonus: 31,000
Stocks: 76,000
School: Top 15 CS

quote:

Company: Google
Number of previous internships: 2
Former intern: N
Base salary: 100k
Signing bonus: 0-15k (location dependent)
Stocks: 250 RSU's / 4yrs

Company: Amazon
Former intern: Y
Base salary: 96k
Signing bonus: 27k/20k (yr 1/yr 2)
Stocks: 63k / 4yrs (5%, 15%, 40%, 40%)

Company: Microsoft
Former intern: N
Base salary: 105k
Signing bonus: 20k
Stocks: 50k / 3.5yrs
https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/2i8m1d/share_new_grad_compensation_packages/

More on Google:

quote:

For Graduate:
Base : $100k
Variable : $15k(15% Base)
Joining Bonus : $10-20k
RSU's : 250 over 4 years

For Post Graduate:
Base : $105k
Variable : $15.75k(15% Base)
Joining Bonus : $10-20k
RSU's : 250 over 4 years

quote:

New grad BSc 2015:
Base salary: 100k
RSU: 325 units
Signing bonus: 50k

quote:

New Grad SWE
Base pay: $115,000
Joining bonus: $10k-$20k
RSUs: 250 units over 4 years

quote:

New Grad (B.S.), after negotiation (with counteroffers)
Base: $105k
Bonus: 15+% of base
Signing bonus: ~$55k
RSUs: 325 units / 4 years
http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-salary-for-new-grads-starting-at-Google-in-2015

Keep in mind I'm factoring in that Google gives annual bonuses that average ~15% or so.

Also there was a bit of a movement recently at Google where someone started a form/spreadsheet for people to share their salaries. This is public info now because of drama that erupted around it. In any case it makes it pretty easy see roughly what people are making at different levels.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 19, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tab8715 posted:

I honestly feel unionization discussion would be better in it's own thread while this should rather focus on the bizarre belief work is it's own virtue.

I don't know, libertarian software devs and their arguments are always worth a laugh

Typo posted:

Shockingly, the """tech company""" which was founded and is run by an outspoken libertarian has such shockingly bad management practices that it made the NYT is catching you off-guard? Where have you been? Based on your spelling, I would guess the UK

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I don't know, libertarian software devs and their arguments are always worth a laugh

Shockingly, the """tech company""" which was founded and is run by an outspoken libertarian has such shockingly bad management practices that it made the NYT is catching you off-guard? Where have you been? Based on your spelling, I would guess the UK

most software developers aren't libertarians though, majority of the ones who are political and are in 20-30 range would be Obama supporters

E: come to think of it, I only know 1-2 people from tech who are libertarians, and the one time when one of them posted some poo poo on fb about Ron Paul right after 2012 elections and how he should have won instead of obama other people who were also in tech basically told him that ron paul is retarded

Typo fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 19, 2015

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Cicero posted:

On the other hand, a lot of leftist D&D'ers seem jealous and filled with impotent, childish rage.

For example:

Hmm... Giving you the benefit of the doubt that I may also be a jealous sperglord. Making 100k right of college would be lovely. No poo poo I'm going to be jealous. I'm doing ok though, think I'll survive.

My rage is for the poor schmuck who suffers in the trench just so some guy can feel important by what the company feels they can risk on the hire of a recent grad. When you speak of the recent college grad with a family in his 30s are we grasping at some extreme edge cases? I don't see any problems with that, experience dictates compensation. While out of band, still makes sense.

Oh sage of the free market tell me why should a big corp risks 100k on a recent grad programmer with no discernible experience and accomplishments. (You did a good job of eliminating those edge cases.) Do those specific skills dictate that compensation? Are they gambling on the next Woz at the expense of their other workers? Are they turning over employees so fast they have to entice those bright stars? What makes them so special they deserve compensation more than their peers that may have been there years with relevant company experience?

I would argue that maybe the company shouldn't be risking so much on fresh recruits at the expense of their other employees . If the rest of their peers believe it's worth that risk at the expense of their own compensation which is built on the work they have done over the years then so be it. That is not my decision to make or even my opinion to matter. That is the heart of collective bargaining. Those devs(I will stop using sperglord as it rude to those whose actions have nothing to do with the outcomes) compensation should be dictated by their peers like in every other civilized country on this earth. Not by management so desperate to find the new Woz, pushed out those burned out by company policy, or trying to make the point that you too can be an ubermensch deserving of the markets blessing.

*your a cool dude, let's d&d

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 19, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
A mix of unfounded hype and a mistaken belief in the overwhelming power of the unconstrained creativity of idea men young people who haven't yet gotten their hands dirty. Corporations are run by people, my friends, and therefore prone to behaving as irrational idiots.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

blowfish posted:

A mix of unfounded hype and a mistaken belief in the overwhelming power of the unconstrained creativity of idea men young people who haven't yet gotten their hands dirty. Corporations are run by people, my friends, and therefore prone to behaving as irrational idiots.

Yeah I will admit alot of people on the left spectrum tend to forget that most companies aren't coldly calculating sociopaths. They are more like a spergy autist irrationally making terrible decisions because they don't understand how they could go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm not a developer by trade but I work closely with them and I've done my fair share of software development.

A lot of people in this thread are balking at the high salaries that devs get, but here's the thing: compared to the value they are adding to a company, they are actually getting hosed over. This value they add can come in many forms, but usually it is productivity gains, revenue increases, new revenue potential (e.g. new products) or cost reductions from automation. I'd say an average dev can add anywhere from half a million dollars to several million dollars of value. That's why Guy Kawasaki's "back of the napkin" software company valuation formula multiplies the number of engineers with $1 million. (Of course, whether the company can convert this value into revenue/profit is another matter entirely.)

Over the course of my career I've worked with several hundred devs at various capacities, and I would agree that the majority of them are indeed "spergs". Especially if they are young and/or just out of college, they totally lack social skills and can be incredibly awkward in person, which can be very frustrating in meetings and company events (they tend to not attend the latter unless they are dev-only events, which my previous two companies held regularly, perhaps for that very reason). As they get older, they become more well-adjusted socially, and 30-something devs are actually very fun to talk to because they tend to be smart and talk about interesting topics.

The only exception I've noticed to the above are what the programming community itself has termed "brogrammers", who are "bros" who taught themselves enough programming to get hired at a software company. Those guys tend to be pretty social in general (they like playing "young person games" like beer pong and also outdoor activities like ultimate frisbee), and perhaps for this reason they are viewed with a certain amount of disdain by the rest of the dev community. Kind of a weird No True Scotsman thing.

• Locked thread