Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Good stuff ! keep 'em coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Up Next: Tales from Earthsea Released July 29th 2006, Directed by Goro Miyazaki

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Le Guin was ultimately happier with the Studio Ghibli adaption than the SciFi Channel one, and by a wide margin. Personally, I just thought it was cliched as hell and had nothing of it's own about it.

Have you read any Mishima ? I've read a few of his short stories in an English course that took some risks with material. Examples include a story with a suicide that takes 3 pages between cutting the carotid and the sweet release of death. That had some real impact.. I've seen 4 Chapters, but it's a hell of a ride. Enjoy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Sorry for the temporary death of the thread. One would have thought quarantine would have had me watching loads of movies but I just haven't really been feeling it. I'll try to get to Ponyo tomorrow or Saturday

That'll make you feel better ! It's a hella sweet movie, and Tina Fey is solid as the mom.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

As an addendum that I didn't want in the body of the main review itself...it fucks me up that Ponyo came out after I graduated high school.

Yeah, it's been a looooong road since then. It's a truly adorable movie all the way through, and the English voice cast did a superb job.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

Also when are you getting around to "In the Realm of the Senses"? Or the Japanese New Wave in general?

This is a good movie, but it's very sexual. If you get to it post-Covid, choose your viewing partners carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Interrupting a movie is a dick move. You are allowed to slap your brother silly for interrupting a classic likeYoung Frankenstein.