Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Does anyone have an answer as to why, particularly in Kurosawa's films, panning shots following action seem...overcranked? I've only ever noticed it on the Criterion copies I have of the films (as it's the only way I've seen them), but a lot of the time it just seems as though there's a lack of motion blur, almost as if the film is being poo poo at a different frame rate, akin to old silent comedies. I'm fairly certain it's not my player or TV settings, but I'm not sure if I'm crazy seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Llamadeus posted:

I think what you're describing is a result of a tighter shutter angle?

Yep, that's probably it. I'm confusing frame rate/HFR with vidyagames frame rates for equation to motion blur, but the equivalent is shutter speed/angle. There's an explanatory article about how it was used in Saving Private Ryan here: https://cinemashock.org/2012/07/30/45-degree-shutter-in-saving-private-ryan/

All the examples I can think of in Kurosawa films are Mifune running around outdoors, so I'm guessing it's a 'hack' of sorts ensuring that they weren't stuffing around with different film on location etc to keep to Toho's insane scheduling of releases and actors. I can't find anything specifically relating to Kurosawa, but I'm gonna keep looking.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

jivjov posted:

Up Next: Yojimbo Released April 25th 1961, Directed by Akira Kurosawa

Hell yeah

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

jivjov posted:

17 minutes in so far, this is an absolute TRIP! What even am I watching?

A beautiful coming of age tale.