Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm unfamiliar with Zatoichi, but there are twenty-six films!? I saw your earlier post, jivjov, and it seems like you've made it through at least nine of them so far. With long movie series like that, I"ve often wondered whether the characters grow much with time. Have you noticed that at all, or are the movies fairly stand-alone? Are there thematic through lines-in the films, or repeated symbolism or themes?

Also, for there to be twenty-six films, it seems like the character really must have struck a chord with audiences. Do you have a sense for why the character was (I'm assuming) so popular? I'm interested to hear more.

(Edit: I just realized we registered here on the same day!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Cool, thanks for the information!

jivjov posted:

And the series predated VHS - they weren't gonna be rewatched on home media. I doubt the filmmakers expected the average viewer to actually watch all 25 of the original run of films.

It's neat to think about that. I was born after VHS came out, so having access to movies has been a thing for my whole life. I love going to the movie theater, but I bet it was even more special back then, when you couldn't watch the same movies at home.

Any idea if the series goes out with a whimper or a bang?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

jivjov posted:

Jesus this fell by the wayside. My life fell apart in the last month or so, but I'm bumping this back up to commit to watching a new film for the thread Soon™️. Gotta keep things on track, might skip Shogun and go to another theatrical feature, but I'll get something up

Best wishes! I enjoy reading about your experiences with these films, so I'm happy to hear you'll be continuing. But take whatever time you need to get your personal life in order too. I'm especially interested to hear how the rest of the Zatoichi series goes.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

jivjov posted:

Zatoichi the Outlaw takes the character study aspects of Vengeance and cranks it up to eleven, and we get an entire movie really delving into what exactly it means for Ichi to be dishing out dismemberment and death wherever he goes. This was the first film produced by lead actor Shintaro Katsu's own production company, and the difference in tone really shows.

Thanks for the update! That sounds pretty neat. After 15 other movies, does the character study feel like it builds naturally on the earlier movies? Does it make you see the character in a new light?

jivjov posted:

Still committed for the long haul, but of the 17 Zatoichi films I've watched so far, there's maybe 3 or 4 that I would ever really consider returning to outside of a whole future rewatch.

What's your favorite 1 or 2 movies so far? It sounds like you liked Zatoichi the Outlaw a fair amount. Can a new viewer jump in wherever they want, or do some of the movies benefit from seeing earlier films?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

9 hours, huh? Why is it so long? Does it have intermissions? I'm struggling a little to imagine a narrative structure that long. Does it have long ponderous sequences? Once you've watched it, let us know how it is, and whether it justifies its length.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for your great summaries of the Zatoichi movies. I haven't watched any of them, but I'm interested in checking out one or two at some point. It sounds like the series is generally a serial, but did you notice any general arcs or themes throughout the series? Does Zatoichi grow, or does the world change much around him?

Also I noticed how many different directors you mentioned. Do the different films have better/different style than others? Are any directors noticeably better than others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I enjoy hearing about these movies. Is there much connectivity between the Lone Wolf and Cub movies you've watched? Does Itto have an overarching goal or life philosophy?