Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

jivjov posted:

Akira Released July 16th 1988, Directed by Katsuhiro Otomo
Overall, I give this a hearty recommend, but maybe not quite the effusive praise that seems to be heaped upon Akira. The issues with side plots feeling disconnected does make me want to check out the manga though, see how things play out there

Something that Akira is similar to me is the first album that The Prodigy released (Experience). It was 1992 and we were all listening to Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Faith no More etc. Then at a party someone puts on The Prodigy Experience and we are all blown away. We our minds are open to a whole new world of how music can be and indeed a whole different culture of music. Akira was like that. We watched our silly 80s sci fi movies and then BANG Akira came along and just blew everything away. Now listening back to The Prodigy Experience - it's not the greatest album but boy did it make us hair metal loving Australians see a whole new world. (I guess others may say that about Nirvana around that time)

I think Akira does hold up, but in 2015 where anime is a joke and not a exotic wonder it won't hold up as well.

Another movie that channel SBS showed in Australia around the time they showed Akira was Wings of Honneamise. I actually have not seen it for literally two decades but have a fond memory of it. It's probably more a standard movie than something like Akira is but I feel it may not hold up. I don't know how time has treated that one.

jivjov posted:

Up Next: The Castle of Cagliostro ...

gently caress I love Castle of Cagliostro. I wish more movies were like it. There is just a vibe in it that I love. Goddamn perfect movie and the score rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay then. Well, to say this film is visually stunning does not do it justice. Princess Mononoke is hands down one of the best looking films I have ever seen, animated or otherwise. I've seen slightly better animation in other places, but as an overall package this film is almost unmatched in its detail and aesthetic. It also helps that I was engrossed in the story as well.

It's by far my favourite Miyazaki movie and one of my top movies all time. The realistic motivations and characters, the epic scope, the soundtrack, the use of gods and spirits, the greenness of it all, all wonderful. As a westerner it feels so imaginative to me. I do feel like it is his best and most profound work. I was always disappointed by all his subsequent efforts.

I do have issues with some of it though
Why does Jigo lie that he has never seen a bullet before? He has no reason to lie, especially so convincingly. It makes his shady character too shady, if that makes sense?
The ape tribe feel a little... racist to me. Even when I first saw it in 98 or 99 or whatever.
I really don't like Gillian Anderson's voice work in this. But I like they made Moro female in the English dub.
I was going to comment that guns in that period feel out of place but I just learned that wiki says guns like that may be been in Japan in the 13th century. So I guess not.

If you are in Australia, Hoyt's and Dendy are doing Miyazaki showings in the coming months. Go see this on the big screen!