Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

jivjov posted:

So far I am not regretting embarking on this journey, and if (as everyone is saying) Kurosawa only goes up from here, I'm in for a good time.

His 1950s output is going to blow your mind.

As an aside, you should take the time to check out some of the films he worked on but didn't direct, particularly the excellent Snow Trail (1947) which he wrote and stars his longtime stars Takashi Shimura and Toshiro Mifune (in his first role!) - two actors you're going to become very familiar with over the course of this project. Last I knew it was on Criterion's Hulu Plus channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Is there any other way to access the movie? I wanted to check it out after reading about it in The Emperor and The Wolf (Great book btw, though I'm still only about 100 pages in), but it looks like there's never been a DVD release here in the States of Snow Trail.

It's not on YouTube so I've got no idea.

Also, Miyazaki and Kurosawa seem like an odd pairing because they're separated by a generation with Miyazaki beginning his career at the end of Kurosawa's, their methods are completely different, and the contrast between anime and live action Japanese cinema is a big big one. But both also have this extreme appreciation for the beauty of life which connects them in this way.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

jivjov posted:

Cool; if its handled well and isn't used as a self-referential thing, I don't think I'll have much to worry about then.

Yeah, like Drunken Angel is going to be the first time you encounter Toshiro Mifune, and each time you're going to be amazed by his depth and range, each character is so uniquely different from the others. One of the true geniuses of the form.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

jivjov posted:

Nausicaä coming soon, I promise! Two of my housemates want to watch along with this one, and getting everyone together at the same time for a movie is proving difficult.

Watch more Kurosawa while you wait.