Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Obayashi's movies are a pain to find in the West, outside of private torrents, kind wandering twitter filesharers, and Youtube copyright artful dodgers.

This channel used to have more films before, so I doubt that it will stick around much longer but it does have "His Motorbike, Her Island" and "Bound for the Fields, the Mountains, and the Seacoast", which are absolutely essential and even better than House, and also show that Obayashi is a far more than the "wacky japanese horror director" Criterion and MoC painted him.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNr22mpUvcIqP8Xc-hH4ASw/videos

Also when are you getting around to "In the Realm of the Senses"? Or the Japanese New Wave in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The last Zatoichi film, Darkness is His Ally, was made almost 15 years after Conspiracy, which is why it feels odd, it's not even included in the Criterion box set.

It's very much Katsu's attempt at putting back together his career, and life, and it's also infamous for being the number one example of how far the Japanese film industry had fallen in the late 80's, as a member of the crew got killed when a prop sword got replaced by mistake by a real one during a stunt.

There's was also a Zatoichi tv show in 70's that ran for 100 or so episodes.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I didn't explain it very well in my summary post, but the 25th film was the last one of the original run, hitting in 1972, and Darkness is His Ally was from 1989 and was sorta a Shintaro Katsu vanity project. I think the Criterion style box-art poster I used is a straight up fan-made creation, but I liked it a lot so I tossed it in the image gallery.

I really would like to know exactly what caused the original series to end at 25 films though--diminishing box office returns finally outweighed continuing?

From memory one of the reasons was that Katsu wanted to go further with Zatoichi, and update it to me more in line with the then contemporary samurai movies; more violent, more sex, more exploitation. But Toho, who picked up distributing, didn't want that type of Zatoichi so the films simply stopped, and Katsu took it to tv where at that point in Japan was a more profitable enterprise. You can sort of see what Katsu wanted from those Hanzo the blade films that he made after Zatoichi stopped.

But now that you're done with Zatoichi it's time to start the other long and very famous series of Japanese films. Our Tora-san! It's only 50 films long.