Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Will you be looking at any of the works directly inspired by these films? Or the ones that just ripped them off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thundersword238 posted:

Yeah... You should watch out for Grave of the Fireflies. Cause if you walk into that one thinking it'll be a cute kids movie, it will destroy your soul.

Hush let me enjoy this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

Kurosawa's house was burned down too the day after his wedding. Lost a bunch of a family records, photos, etc.

I'm not sure if he ever made a film that served to comment on that, but I've requested a review of a film that does, when it's appropriate.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The real fun part about Grave is that it's based on a semi autobiographical novella, with the author being the older brother character. Pretty well the only thing that didn't happen to him that happened in the movie/book, was the dying part.

It's also got a giant message to the, at the time, rebellious youth of Japan, which is an interesting way of looking at the film. It's not a fun movie to watch, but it's a drat solid one.

And I mean come on, who hasn't wanted to follow up Grave of the Fire Flies with Gojira! I mean the latter is so much lighter of a movie right? Right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like to imagine now and again that if the brother and sister from Grave had survived, they would have ended up in Tokyo, gotten on with their lives, maybe got on a train one night

And then Godzilla comes and everything just goes to hell.

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC, you see the kids in a later scene in the hospital where they've gotten radiation poisoning from being near Godzilla. It really is an amazing film, and then the first sequel immediately toss out everything great about the original movie and sets the pattern for the rest of the films. Those can be fun (as long as Minya isn't in the movie), but they might as well be a completely different series.

Not just that, but first we see the mother has died, leaving her kids orphans. Then we learn they've gotten severe radiation poisoning.

The atmosphere of the movie is just fantastic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

That's the one place that the movie kinda pulls punches. Kids get scanned with a Geiger counter, and some adults make sad faces, but it's not made nearly as explicit as it could have been.

Considering this was Japan not 10 years after the end of WWII, and that earlier in the movie they explicitly show that the Geiger Counter going crazy and that's horrible news. I don't think that's much of a pull.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Yeah; Magnificent Seven and the whole Man With No Name trilogy are on my list.

I'd be tempted to point out the fact that only one of the Trilogy are actually a 'remake' (total rip off) of a Kurosawa film...but the other two are good enough that who really cares

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BUTT posted:

For a Few Dollars More is my favorite of the trilogy, honestly.

It's not as big of a movie as the last, but it's possibly the best stand alone.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is made so much better if you've seen the other two as it's the perfect capstone to the trilogy while also acting as a kind of weird disjointed prequel.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Oh poo poo, you were one of the Podcasters with Attitude guys? :stare: I loved that podcast! I didn't even know it was goonmade, honestly.

Oh God people who know our content we need to run away!

Everything is Jason's fault and I am only to blame for when things are good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some movies work best in black and white, so I'm glad he went that route.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The one sad thing about this movie is that 1954 was such a good year for movies.

If you take this one off the table, you still have, bare minimum, Rear Window and Gojira for expertly made and shot films.

Then you have this giant behemoth come in and blow everything else out of the water. As a huge Godzilla fan, I really wish it didn't premier in the same year- but it did and God drat does it deserve every single bit of praise it gets.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

Sansho the Bailiff, On the Waterfront and Journey to Italy were this year too, and I think they're easily masterpieces that would go alongside the three you mention. There was also Dial M for Murder, Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto, Creature From the Black Lagoon, and The Far Country which are all good films in their own right but don't quite reach the same highs imo.

1954 was a good year.

AND for giant monster buffs, one of the best in the genre from America came this year, THEM! It similarly does not reach the same highs, but is a notable film in a year filled with exemplary films.

loving Hell 1954.

It's almost a shame the 1953 War of the Worlds didn't get delayed slightly to appear in this same fabled year, as it is one of the best looking films of the decade, though the content doesn't quite stack up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly if there was any continuity, The Good The Bad and the Ugly would come first.

You basically see the Man with No Name become the character, costume wise at least, he is in Fist Full Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More