Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
To go back to Akira for a second there, the movie covers about the first two volumes of the six volume epic, in very shortened form, and then skips to the ending. To say that it's missing huge important parts of the plot is an udnerstatement. For instance, Akira actually exists in the manga.

It's one of my favorite books and I re-read every few years. I think everyone who likes sci-fi/cyber punk stories should read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Nausicaä was actually Hideaki Anno's first major work. Supposedly, when Ghibli (well, what was to become Ghibli eventually) fell behind schedule and started looking for more animators, he stormed straight into Miyazaki's office and handed him his portfolio. After looking through the entire portfolio, Miyazaki hired Anno on the spot and assigned him the God Warrior scenes. So the similarities to NGE are definitely not coincidental. Anno and Miyazaki also remained close friends over the years. Anno voiced the main character in Miyazaki's final film, The Wind Rises, and last year, there was a rumour that Anno could possibly direct a sequel to Nausicaä. I don't know of any direct connections to Akira, but given that it came out only four years after Naucisaä, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some influences.

As for Nausicaä's psychic abilities, the manga never really explains them in-depth either, but I actually think it works better this way. Large parts of the film operate on a symbolic level, and in that sense, her abilities aren't so much unique special powers, as they are simply extensions of her natural empathy. It's not that she's the only one who can converse with insects, just that she's the only one willing to listen.

Also, definitely check out the manga if you liked the world and characters. It's quite long and very different from the film in some respects, but if you enjoyed one, you're likely to enjoy the other.

Yeah, reading the manga is worth it just for Kushana alone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The only Miyazaki dub I watch is the french Porco Rosso one, because they got Jean Reno to play Porco.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

For a Few Dollars More is my favorite of the trilogy, honestly.

It's so loving good. Gian Maria Volontè is electrifying as the villain.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Me, it's Kagemusha.

God, I loving love Kagemusha.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The villain in The Rock is Ed Harris playing basically Big Boss.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Nobunaga is the eternal villain of Japanese culture because he's the guy who brought guns to knife fights. :v:

He also burned a buddhist temple.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

jivjov posted:

Anyone know anything about Sherlock Hound? Apparently Miyazaki directed 6 episodes of the series, 4 of which were edited down into a couple of movies.

Worth tracking down and reviewing for the thread?

I remembe r loving that show as a kid (it used to be on french-canadian television).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I am extremely jealous. Sergio Leone's westerns are some of my favorite movies.

Don't feel bad about seeing them out of order: there's no continuity between movies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The first time I saw Kagemusha, there was a bug with the tv or something and it was in black and white. It still looked amazing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just want to repeat that without George Lucas and Francis Coppola, we would never have gotten Kagemusha.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

And now you hate me just enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

For Christmas, my sister made me an adorable Nausicaa shirt.