Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I know this is probably true of every manga adaptation but holy poo poo, if you liked Nausicaä and enjoy Miyazaki as a storyteller at all, read the book. As with Akira this is only about 1/3 of a much bigger story (the movie came out 2 years into a 12-year manga run) but in this case it's a goddamn epic, with tons of worldbuilding, crazy battles and beautiful art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Just try to wrap your mind around Ghibli releasing Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies as a double feature in 1988.

jivjov posted:

This is definitely a movie I'm going to be showing any hypothetical future children I have, and I feel like I have hit the true Miyazaki experience.
I showed it to my oldest nephew once when he was five or so, when it was over he looked at me with this huge grin and went "that was a goooood movie!"

Roger Ebert posted:

Whenever I watch it, I smile, and smile, and smile.

It is a little sad, a little scary, a little surprising and a little informative, just like life itself. It depends on a situation instead of a plot, and suggests that the wonder of life and the resources of imagination supply all the adventure you need.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 17, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

It's not internet hyperbole, Disney turned the main character's mostly silent and demure cat cinto a sassy animal sidekick.

If I remember correctly one of the changes was also that the cat talks again at the end of the movie, when in the original version Kiki stops being able to talk to him because she's grown up in her time alone.

edit:

quote:

Miyazaki has said that Jiji is the immature side of Kiki, and this implies that Kiki, by the end of the original Japanese version, has matured beyond talking to her cat.

also this

Raxivace posted:

If this thread is about experiencing Japanese cinema, than the films should probably be in Japanese by principle IMO.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 4, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

jivjov posted:

that Miyazaki dubs were considered as good as, if not better that, the original Japanese performances.
Until I was 15 or so and DVDs became a thing my choices when watching movies were to either watch them in theaters or watch them dubbed into German (or hope they got shown on the one channel in Switzerland that had the optional original audio track for stuff sometimes).

All dubs are poo poo, some are more tolerable than others but Phil Hartman doesn't make this thoughtful small coming-of-age movie better, as cool and funny as he was in everything else he did.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Are you gonna do any of Takahata's other stuff, specifically Pom Poko? Because that's Takahata at his silliest. While still packing an emotional punch, most of his other movies don't feature shape-shifting raccoons with giant balls. It makes for a nice counterpart to Fireflies.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

jivjov posted:

The design of the city of Koriko, from the streets to the aerial views, were just so well crafted. I just want to go spend a week or two exploring the town Kiki sets up her delivery service in.
It's said to be loosely based on Visby, a small Swedish island town. Miyazaki went there in the 70s trying to convice Astrid Lindgren to give them permission for a Pippi Longstocking movie. The mission failed but he returned from his first trip abroad with a ton of footage of their surroundings, which were used in the design of Koriko 20 years later. The version that ended up in the movie is much bigger than Visby though and they also used elements from various other European cities.
http://stock.irablock.com/-/galleries/europe/sweden/-/medias/4a0a9120-e3ed-11e0-b256-47864d91a75b-aerials-visby-gotland-sweden

Miyazaki's fondness for European landscapes really begins to shine through in Kiki, his next movie is just a full-blown love letter to the Adriatic Sea (and old-timey airplanes, of course).

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

jivjov posted:

Just as a heads up; I'm not dead. Hectic week between Star Wars marathon, pre-holiday rush at work, and my anniversary. Not 100% sure on when I'll be back to movie reviews, but it'll be sooner rather than later.
No worries friend, I'm pretty sure a lot of people in this thread have said to themselves "you know, I really should get around to watching those early Kurosawa movies" only to never get around to it (I know I have). I doubt anyone reading this was expecting you to bang them out every week.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

jivjov posted:

We reviewed every single episode of Power Rangers
why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I like Pom Poko but yeah, out of all the Ghibli stuff I've tried to watch with other people or recommended to them this one has the highest "what is this poo poo?" return rate.