Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Curve-ball bonus suggestion: House (Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977).

Why?

Obayashi posted:

“If Kurosawa or Ozu were to see it, what kind of direction would offend them most,” he recalled. ” ‘That’s how I’ll do it!’ That was my thinking as I made ‘House.’ “

:eng101: Obayashi also directed the making-of documentary for Kurosawa's Dreams.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Tragic lack of House (Obayashi, 1977) here.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

jivjov posted:

Up Next: House Released July 30th 1977. Directed by Nobuhiko Obayashi

gently caress yes.

:getin:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

For what it's worth I have actually read & enjoyed your posts here. :)

House is just... something else.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

House is actually about intergerational conflict in postwar Japan. It's the old generation attacking its own children, but with empathy for the wartime traumas of the older generation, which the youth are completely unable to relate to or understand except on the level of a romantic fairy tale. Which it definitely was loving NOT.

The train ride is where he really lays all his cards on the table.

:j: HOW ROMANTIC :j:

*Man is machine gunned*

Obayashi's hometown was literally nuked in real life, killing his childhood friends... and the girls compare the mushroom cloud to like cotton candy or something. He's on the girls' side overall, but he's still being pointedly critical of their ignorance here.

The catch of course is that House is just so crazy stylistically that it's hard to process anything and you kind of just :tviv: in response. Obayashi outright said he directed it to be the exact opposite of what the Japanese film establishment considered "correct" filmmaking, so if Kurosawa would do X in a scene, he would do -X/sqrt(2) or something

The story of how it got made is nearly as nuts as the film itself, the Criterion documentary on it is good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

House! House! House!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

jivjov posted:

Something I just realized...when this thread was originally started, Marnie was going to be the final film on the Ghibli side of things -- I managed to take so long that three more films, including a new one from Hayao Miyazaki himself, came out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3737174&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post507305301

I did that one in 2020!

I totally forgot about that LOL.