Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Tortuga posted:

As dumb as most of that was Bad Travis stomping people's skulls in is very much my poo poo. I can see myself watching season 3 if he keeps on doing that.

Yeah I'm down as gently caress for Uncle Bully wrecking people. Actually what is Temuera Morrison up to these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, I just watched this episode and holy poo poo were people made of even more stupid than normal TWD.

The real big stand-outs of stupidity for me:

1: OMG the Cartel is going to kill us! - The Cartel can't be beat! We will lose! We cannot win! Then immediately show like a dozen guys who blast their way recklessly through the zombie field. If they started getting shot at, since the camp apparently had a whole poo poo load of guns at the end, while also dealing with zombies.. well the Cartel would have been easily obliterated.

2: Every single thing about the way they handled the Travis beatdown aftermath. WHY THE gently caress would they wait in the hotel that night, knowing the guy could very easily die? It's kind of on them for not bailing immediately.

3: Madison went back to the Cartel (who were too stupid to check the guy's ID for his home address, I mean what the gently caress) to find Nick... empty handed.. after being told they would shoot her.. she's LUCKY they left.

4: Wow the hotel people are super shitheads. They save them, do everything for them, have tons of empty room to imprison the guy and it's all black & white "Well he killed two dipshits and hurt one of ours so now we are going to be totally cool with loving all of you over."

That said Chris's fate is hilarious (put down after flipping the car 15 minutes in, truly a Darwin award). As is the town we've spent so much time in running away from the easily stomped Cartel getting shot up and run off by the US military, what a waste of time.

And my favorite moment of the episode, which I don't know if the writers even understood, was Madison saying how she's always been a terrible person and how he is now. It felt like two villains declaring how they'd be villains together forever, and I half expected the scene to end with "Let's take back our loving hotel." Honestly the show will be better when it realizes/admits they are villains.

ED: I'd like to picture Strand's last thought when they crashed the gate and breached the hotel was "Jesus Christ why did I help these assholes again?"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

E: Can't actually they did the usual TWD "supposedly perfect impenetrable colony gets hosed up, let's move on to another one" with both main groups in separate colonies this episode. Do the people writing this and the main show have some sort of inability to imagine any other story-line that could possibly happen?

Unlike the main show, however, it is always the fault of the main characters. Why this show could be flipped and revamped into pure genius if they hired a new riding staff and set a mandate of: We want to turn these people into the new Governor style warlord by the end of the series.

The Suburb Town: Destroyed by them leaving the gate open and assaulting the military with zombies.
The Actually Trying to Evacuate the Wounded Military Hospital: Kind of a two for one, see above.
The Lighthouse they found: Probably destroyed by zombies who heard the shot at the end.
Sea Faring Gang: They seemed like they weren't all evil and that the raiding party was bloodthirsty more than most, but probably fell apart when our main characters surprise-ganked a guy expecting a fair trade.
The Death Cult Farm: The main characters murdered their leader and set it on fire.
Colonia: Nick convinced them all they had to leave and stood no chance, when they could have handed the Cartel it's rear end on a platter. Then he led them straight into an army base without scouting it out at all.
The Hotel: They left a ready-to-zombie brother in the room, smashed out the gate, and flashed the sign so the place is sure to be overrun in the next season (and prompt a reunion).

Bonus: They also hosed over the plane survivor woman twice, first abandoning her at sea, and then murdering the leader of her new group.

They're the bad guys. I don't think the show's writers REALIZE they are the bad guys; Strand and El Salivdad were the only ones that knew what they were. Honestly you could turn this show into a biting commentary and do a full turn around on it's quality if they just would embrace this. I mean, by contrast on The Walking Dead:

Hershel's Farm: Overrun by Zombies drawn by a helicopter and a gunshot
The Prison: Overrun by a Warlord and a Tank (that was a cartoon villain that could not be reasoned with)
The Hospital: Despite the Hospital crew being shitheads and Beth being the last woman ever to commit suicide by cop, they didn't blow it up.
Terminus: OK, they did waste this place (or rather the one woman army that was Carol did), but it absolutely deserved it so not really the same thing
Alexandria: They're still holding onto it.

I mean the main cast is stupid as gently caress, and TWD characters do some what the gently caress moral things (Rick shooting a cop for running away, for example), but after twice as many seasons they've destroyed 1/6 of the places.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 4, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

And my favorite moment of the episode, which I don't know if the writers even understood, was Madison saying how she's always been a terrible person and how he is now. It felt like two villains declaring how they'd be villains together forever, and I half expected the scene to end with "Let's take back our loving hotel." Honestly the show will be better when it realizes/admits they are villains.

I'd watch zombie House of Cards.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Another really good episode. This show is getting better by the week.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It occurs to me that, as long as someone still has a working phone, they could record a walker and lure someone into a false sense of security, like how they go into a room tense and then think "Oh, nothing here but walkers", then ambush.

They could use tape recordings to trick people into thinking there's a horde approaching, like in the Elena and Hector vs. Wedding Party situation.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

galenanorth posted:

It occurs to me that, as long as someone still has a working phone, they could record a walker and lure someone into a false sense of security, like how they go into a room tense and then think "Oh, nothing here but walkers", then ambush.

They could use tape recordings to trick people into thinking there's a horde approaching, like in the Elena and Hector vs. Wedding Party situation.

what

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

galenanorth posted:

Is growling a little yourself too hard? Zombie sound aren't hard to make.

Also, to test your theory, go put tiger sounds on your phone and play then near someone.. 100%they will ask where the sound effect is coming from, not "loving TIGER!!".

What I'm saying is this is a terrible plan.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have to say one of the thing I hated this episode that I actually almost forgot about was the fact that not even one person in a medical lab attempted to cut off the infected area.

If there was ever a time or an excuse for them to learn that it would have been when they were standing in a place equipped for that sort of thing.

Understand the leader guy because he was trying to keep up impressions but come on that woman just had like two tips of her fingers get off you think she would have at least given it a shot before walking out into a horde of zombies to be torn apart.

The whole ritual was dumb as hell anyway it because there was Zero reason they couldn't just shank the people in the heart and drop them out there to turn without being torn in two by the whole horde. I'm surprised there's enough left of the people they send out there to even be out there.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

galenanorth posted:

Truly a WalkingDead-worthy plan.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So was El Salvidaughter caught by the same people that shot up the colonia people or is that going to be two warring tactilol factions because neither group looked like they were wearing actual BDUs so I'm guessing it's just a bunch of Trump supporters protecting the border

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 4, 2016

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to say one of the thing I hated this episode that I actually almost forgot about was the fact that not even one person in a medical lab attempted to cut off the infected area.

If there was ever a time or an excuse for them to learn that it would have been when they were standing in a place equipped for that sort of thing.

Understand the leader guy because he was trying to keep up impressions but come on that woman just had like two tips of her fingers get off you think she would have at least given it a shot before walking out into a horde of zombies to be torn apart.

The whole ritual was dumb as hell anyway it because there was Zero reason they couldn't just shank the people in the heart and drop them out there to turn without being torn in two by the whole horde. I'm surprised there's enough left of the people they send out there to even be out there.

Do they know that that's an option? Cutting off limbs has to be done quickly, and I can't remember if this cast has ever seen it happen and someone live. They may be assuming any bite is guaranteed fatal.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

moist turtleneck posted:

So was El Salvidaughter caught by the same people that shot up the colonia people or is that going to be two warring tactilol factions because neither group looked like they were wearing actual BDUs so I'm guessing it's just a bunch of Trump supporters protecting the border

Probably the same people because it's the laziest way to start reassembling the group.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I assumed it was Mexican border or army people who caught them while the daughter was caught by a lone American doomsday prepper type guy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Enderzero posted:

Do they know that that's an option? Cutting off limbs has to be done quickly, and I can't remember if this cast has ever seen it happen and someone live. They may be assuming any bite is guaranteed fatal.

In the regular show, I don't think they had even seen anyone with an amputated limb that had survived a bite before they first attempted it. It was a gamble out of sheer desperation on Rick's part because they couldn't afford to lose Hershel. When it turned out it worked, they were like 'oh, hey, neat!'

Really sucked for that one woman in the infirmary that got bitten. The zombie took off all of what, the first knuckle of her middle finger?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why did that guy have zombieitis if the zombie bit his nose but also removed it?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

moist turtleneck posted:

Why did that guy have zombieitis if the zombie bit his nose but also removed it?

Their bite has nasty stuff in it that causes sickness and eventually death.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but the bitten part was removed

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I assume you have to chop it off fast enough that it doesn't get into your blood stream.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

No, it isn't anything medical or scientific that is going on. It's a Magical Curse that re-animates the dead; a curse that was applied to the world's population through unknown means and at different rates that hit 100% of all people. A lot got ill and died immediately, others didn't, but everyone is infected, and the re-animated ones can re-apply the curse in a more potent form through biting. The curse has rules that sometimes change arbitrarily through unknown mechanisms because that is how the show's version of the concept of "magic" works.

Or at least, that belief is the only head-canon with which my brain will allow me to suspend whatever it needs to suspend to enjoy these shows. Because despite their many flaws, I do still enjoy watching them both. I have, I think, Lost and S1 of the Leftovers to thank for this mindset, and it's been a help in reducing the frustrations that watching TWD/Fear can bring on.

The idiocy of most of the characters is pure hilarity for me at this point. I can see how they would really wind some people up though to the point of not enjoying watching anymore, and I don't really have a work-around for that other than moving on to something more their cup of tea :shrug:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I assume you have to chop it off fast enough that it doesn't get into your blood stream.

Which is pretty hard to do since blood circulates pretty quickly. It only takes about a minute for blood to make a round trip of the body. And that's just during a normal state. It would move even faster for someone whose in an excited/agitated state, like someone who has just been attacked and bitten by a zombie.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Travis did nothing wrong.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TMMadman posted:

Which is pretty hard to do since blood circulates pretty quickly. It only takes about a minute for blood to make a round trip of the body. And that's just during a normal state. It would move even faster for someone whose in an excited/agitated state, like someone who has just been attacked and bitten by a zombie.

Presumably, the body has a limited ability to fight off infection unless there is also a physical wound or death aside from it - it was established in S1 of TWD that everyone is infected. It was also established that they were close to a cure (I think it was the French?). Given that the whole of S1 took place in such a limited timespan, 2-3 months, that would indicate that the cure wasn't a completely new treatment, but instead an adaptation of an existing treatment. Given we can't really treat viral infections well in general (can treat the symptoms but not the underlying infection), that would point to either fungal or bacterial (the two primary pathogens besides viral). Bacterial fits better than fungal - impact on the immune system, persistent but asymptomatic infection, rapid infection after direct blood exposure, bacterial just works better. Hell, it could be a combination of bacteria that suddenly co-evolved - unlikely, but whatever. The point is, if you have a physical bacterial infection, it can in some cases be treated by rapid removal of infected flesh. That's one of the primary treatments of necrotizing fasciitis.

I also just realized I wrote a paragraph on the zombie disease in TWD. drat.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Baudolino posted:

Travis did nothing wrong.

I would say slamming Oscar's head in the door was the kicker. If not for that, hotel crew miiiiiiiiiight have been able to come to some kind of compromise, since he only wanted to murder the people that killed his son/ were prone to kill at any sign of injury.

On that front, if they killed anybody in their group that got injured, why didn't the uninjured one not off the one with the wrecked shoulder? Or was it specifically 'you can't travel/would slow us down' kind of injuries that merited a kill?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Enderzero posted:

No, but the main crew figured this out purely on a "Huh, worth a shot" gamble, in far, far worse conditions.

In this case they were in a hospital. They had the equipment RIGHT THERE to try for a save. I mean, it sucks but it beats walking into a horde of zombies wearing a fast-food sign, right!?

It's sad these people make Rick's crew look competent/smart, when they are huge bumblefucks.

ED: You know what? I totally get why they all got sick of Madison's poo poo. She never once even expressed concern or sorrow for her husband smashing that dude's head like an egg, only for what it'd do TO HER. It says everything about the character, or honestly, the writer writing the character because I really truly do not think they realize she's an rear end in a top hat.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 5, 2016

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Only redeeming part of this episode was the Charlie Utter reveal. Maybe him and Madison can have a Deadwood reunion.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It's really nice that they found the address for la colonia, what I want to know is how they navigated to said address. Did they find a Tijuana Mapsco somewhere?

Maybe it's because I've never been south of the border by Tijuana, but it's weird to me seeing more than 5 Mexican guys at a time and none of them are wearing Western wear or at least a big old moustache. It's also kinda stretching belief that the gorgeous ranchera girl would be attracted to that seedy gringo kid since caballeros are pretty much the sexual gold standard everywhere I've ever been there.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

brocked posted:

It's really nice that they found the address for la colonia

I hope the interrogation concluded with them spending hours trying to get that information, then one Cartel guy just said "Oh, hey, did anyone check his wallet?"

Also the more I think about the episode (mostly because I like to analyze broken-bad TV, God help me) so many other moments make me go "What?" Like if the Cartel had "over a hundred people," why did they pack up and entirely abandon their fortified base before they even took Colonia? Also those 100 men became like 15. I'd say "Oh I understand, it was a budget thing," but they hired Extras for zombies, they could have hired Extras for Cartel. Hell. If they're real cheap reuse them, you'd never notice.

That assault still drives me nuts too. Like, I know, tactical considerations aren't a thing in Walking Dead. People are always idiots who forget their camo and NEVER bandage their hands (even though it saves them when they happen to have armor of any sort, every time) and arms, or even get some lovely football gear. (Some South Korean super-fast pack zombie movie I saw recently had a character who's first reaction was to completely wrap his arms in cloth, and gee, it worked very well).

But yeah, back to my point.. I NEVER thought the Cartel would just form a circle and worm their way through the zombie pit. I was going "What.. the.. gently caress," the whole time; I expected them to just LIGHT UP that whole area, then proceed to do that through the town. Like one guy with a lovely hunting rifle firing at them from that tower would have crushed them; are they REALLY going to get in a firefight with 6 times the number of people, that are in an elevated position, and are prepared, and have cover, while also contending with about 200 zombies? Really? loving really?

It's kind of a shame too, because the Cartel could have made a compelling enemy. They're well known for military tactics, since they bribe police and military to their ranks to train them; these guys made a low-tier biker gang look like Delta Force.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The cartel could fight off zombies that surrounded them but didn't know what to do when they had them coming at them in a straight line up stairs

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
First draft

https://i.imgur.com/HaGt2eq.gifv

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think I'm done with the show if it goes into "we ain't letting them into OUR country" territory. It's just so overdone.

Nick is about the only character who holds any interest to me anymore. I know it's hard to do other plotlines than "don't you see, the world YOU knew I'd gone! This is the world now!" but ehhhhhhh.

I was initially interested thinking there would be alot more focus on the early days of the outbreak, and kind of hoped for a World War Z (book) anthology type where we saw different countries and such. But nope, 6 episodes of early stages then it's just hour two of the Walking Dead.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Strand could still do something interesting. Better writers could do something with Travis - considering he just killed 3 people after being a pacifist for the bulk of the show (though 1 was accidental of course), they could take his character somewhere interesting. And of course I want to see what they do with the dude from Sons of Anarchy/Deadwood - he's a solid actor and could bring something cool.

Then again, I'm mostly getting my hopes up in a futile belief that AMC will spend more than parking money on their writing staff. I already know I'm going to be disappointed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Medullah posted:

I think I'm done with the show if it goes into "we ain't letting them into OUR country" territory. It's just so overdone.

Nick is about the only character who holds any interest to me anymore. I know it's hard to do other plotlines than "don't you see, the world YOU knew I'd gone! This is the world now!" but ehhhhhhh.

I was initially interested thinking there would be alot more focus on the early days of the outbreak, and kind of hoped for a World War Z (book) anthology type where we saw different countries and such. But nope, 6 episodes of early stages then it's just hour two of the Walking Dead.

Doing stuff with "we ain't letting them into OUR country" isn't bad per se, because it's pretty much what would happen in real life in similar circumstances. The only thing that will suck is if they turn it into a heavy handed US BORDER/TRUMP analogy. poo poo, in universe every time anyone lets another group into their secure area, it gets destroyed soon after. On both shows!

The one thing that we're missing, which neither show has done, is a higher level retelling of the fall of civilization. I get that they want to show the everyman perspective, but if we got more of a peek into the chaos of high levels of authority like the President and top military dealing with the collapse that would be different. Closest we've had is the CDC, and that was just one dude locked in a building.

I think it would be cool to see Walking Dead: Designated Survivor or Walking Dead: BSG with some actual competent heroic authority/military types trying to hold civilization together. But Kirkman has zero interest in that so :shrug:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Astroman posted:

The one thing that we're missing, which neither show has done, is a higher level retelling of the fall of civilization. I get that they want to show the everyman perspective, but if we got more of a peek into the chaos of high levels of authority like the President and top military dealing with the collapse that would be different. Closest we've had is the CDC, and that was just one dude locked in a building.

I think it is less a disinterest in telling that story as just AMC being totally unwilling to fund it. I mean hell the start of FTWD was supposed to be that bigger story. That's what they said they were doing, and they hosed it up so bad.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Astroman posted:

I think it would be cool to see Walking Dead: Designated Survivor or Walking Dead: BSG with some actual competent heroic authority/military types trying to hold civilization together. But Kirkman has zero interest in that so :shrug:

I'd like to see this too, but not at all from these guys. Kirkman couldn't make a competent attempt of it even if he wanted to.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I just want to remind everyone that a certain other zombie show features mexican death cults and shenanigans along the border, and does it better.

Come watch Z-Nation yal, poo poo's tight.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sammus posted:

I just want to remind everyone that a certain other zombie show features mexican death cults and shenanigans along the border, and does it better.

Come watch Z-Nation yal, poo poo's tight.

Please tell me the plot is that America built a wall and it kept all the zombies out of Mexico instead of the Mexicans out of America, because that'd be hilarious

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Please tell me the plot is that America built a wall and it kept all the zombies out of Mexico instead of the Mexicans out of America, because that'd be hilarious

Basically actually. The wall is like this 3 story concrete monster too. I mean the whole world is still hosed, but it was WAY nicer in Mexico. And despite a death cult, less racist than in FTWD too.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

And despite a death cult, less racist than in FTWD too.

I have a thick skin about this stuff and even I find it hilarious Fear is coming off as so accidentally racist, with it's "white guy comes down the town and shows all the poor Mexican people the way," vibe and how one minute they can pick on racists (the idiot kids picking on the crowd) and the next minute they turn them into a stupid lynch mob just to get a character's attention (and then apparently stop mobbing).

ED: Honestly the sad part is Nick's story had real potential that they couldn't handle for the life of them and should have been the focus of the show; the Cartels vs everyone who isn't Cartel could have been freaking great. I mean they're a paramilitary trained force that is one of the most heavily armed criminal organizations in the world AND a villain people love to hate AND realistically would, in fact, probably be the ones to still run poo poo after the zombie apocalypse.

I mean we're talking about people who seriously mount heads on the walls of their fortresses and do in fact have a Saint Death thing going on with most groups. They're a great enemy because they are honestly even more cartoonishly evil and insane than the Governor with more manpower and the ex-military to use the stuff, and I think most people feel kind of like they do about Nazis when Cartel thugs go down: You can't feel bad about it.

They picked a villain and setting that could have made for some killer loving TV and didn't know what the gently caress to do with it.

ED: Oh yeah, they also have mass-murdered civilians in casinos and stuff, just to send a messag to their rivals. And that's real life before the apocalypse. They could easily be one of the best enemies on TV and they hosed it up.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Honestly the sad part is Nick's story had real potential that they couldn't handle for the life of them and should have been the focus of the show; the Cartels vs everyone who isn't Cartel could have been freaking great. I mean they're a paramilitary trained force that is one of the most heavily armed criminal organizations in the world AND a villain people love to hate AND realistically would, in fact, probably be the ones to still run poo poo after the zombie apocalypse.

Due to their training, their vast arsenal of weapons, and their relative safety behind the wall, in the other zombie show I mentioned the cartel is a major political force with fingers reaching deep into America. You could even say they pretty much are the last remaining entity that resembles a functional government, and they're the ones that run poo poo.

• Locked thread