Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
OwlFancier what you are doing is literally the action called "victim-blaming".

If I need a convenient reference for victim-blaming I could use your posts. I would put them in the wikipedia article as an example.

Trying to crouch it in rhetoric about agency is exactly what victim-blaming is.

It's also not helpful because post-facto harm reduction advice is completely loving useless, as the thing already happened and what not to do is rather obvious with the gift of hindsight. At best you're just wasting your breath. At worst, you'll help ferment in the victim's mind the idea that it's their fault because they could've done something but didn't.

"Yeah it's awful you got robbed but you should've locked the door, kept a gun near, and..."

All that is is telling the person that they made mistakes. Framing it as them having had a choice is perhaps even worse because you're implying that since good choices could've prevented it, and it happened, that they made bad choices. What you think is giving a person a sense of agency and power is, really, just telling them they hosed up and thus deserve what happened.

Blaming the victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread