Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Much has been said about how male rape victims are ignored and disbelieved by the media, police and society at large, especially ones raped by women. However, to me, it seems to be the opposite; male rape victims are held up as being the real victims and used in a way to dismiss the experiences of women, who are raped and abused much more than men. It seems to me that patriarchal society is desperate to find men who have been 'raped' by women in order to show those uppity females that they are just as bad. Indeed, I have argued with people who insist on giving male rape victims special treatment, then being told that false rape accusations are a significant thing done by 'scorned women'! One can't hope but notice there is a significant overlap between misogyny and people who insist on male rape victims receiving special support.

Of course, a cursory google shows that this is complete bullshit. It is women who are the victims and men who are the perpetrators, the vast majority of the time. This is why you get people (and i say people deliberately, since men and women both do it) arguing that male rape victims need more attention, support and so on. It's like having two houses, one on fire and one with the gas hob left on, and spraying the second one with a hose! In an age where women's shelters are cut, and women still are not taken seriously by the police when they report being raped, it's downright insulting to switch the focus on men and call it a 'human' issue.

Now I'm not saying that men can't be raped or whatever. What I am trying to do is encourage people to primarily think and act for female victims, since they are the ones with the house on fire. Why do male rape victims deserve special attention? Since most men are raped by other men, wouldn't it be just better to teach men about consent specifically, to make sure they understand what rape is? Why not attempt to reform masculinity so it is less about power and domination? Even in cases where men rape men, it's pretty clear that the victim in feminized, referred to as a 'bitch' and so on. It's clear that rape is 'women's problem' (in the sense that it largely happens to them, not that they are responsible for it).

So, do male rape victims need special attention? Do we really need rape clinics for men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"I was extremely drunk, passing out really, and this woman climbed in to bed and had sex with me"

Sorry, I don't believe that this actually happens.

• Locked thread