Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The issue of sexual assault is deeply unfortunate in that basically all victims-- male victims, female victims, and even those who have been falsely accused-- are reduced to tools, rhetorical devices to push whatever agenda suits. It is next to impossible to discuss sexual assault in American political discourse without also bringing in a number of larger issues that are tangled up with it. Male victims of sexual assault tend to face this problem, because Male Sexual Assault Victim is a rhetorical tool to support Those Wimmins Should Stop Feministing. It's possible to look past the rhetorical device and see the person, but it still makes discussion difficult. (Female victims face it too, when things like Abortion For Raped Women starts getting talked about.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Pantsuit posted:

Even in cases where men rape men, it's pretty clear that the victim in feminized, referred to as a 'bitch' and so on.

I'd say this is not an exceptionally helpful or even necessarily entirely true observation, since it doesn't really apply to male-on-male domestic sexual abuse, which makes up a pretty substantial portion of male-on-male rape. We can deal with such cases when they happen without necessarily trying to shove them back into the "men rape women" schema.

But I'm probably making the mistake of taking this thread seriously or indeed engaging in any kind of discussion of rape on the Debate And Discussion forums of a comedy site, so

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm confused how that doesn't apply to male-on-male rape. Could you elaborate, maybe link me to a study? I'm willing to believe you but this kind of flies in the face of everything I've heard and experienced.

It's not a study, precisely, but here's a pretty good publication from Ohio State University that goes into some of the stuff that happens with male-on-male sexual assault. Warning, it's a PDF. It talks a little bit about the sex-and-gender implications of having been sexually assaulted. Certainly, some victims reported feeling "feminized":

quote:

Some men will feel part of their masculinity has been stripped away, that they have been feminized, or are somehow less manly because they have been sexually violated.
But I'd be careful of making the generalization that this applies in all cases-- more common are questions regarding one's sexuality. Even gay men are wont to question their sexuality after such a traumatic experience, and those who don't necessarily identify as straight especially face sexual identity trauma. The majority of perpetrators identified as straight (not surprising, statistically), and reported that the gender of the victim was inconsequential; it was more about control than gender.

Confounding the matter even more is that this publication doesn't really take into account domestic sexual abuse, because to my knowledge there aren't very many studies about it yet. Speaking purely anecdotally, these don't tend to involve "feminization" as much as more violent or one-off sexual assault cases do. It's more about power balances and emotional manipulation there, sadly.

So overall, I'd say feelings of feminization, of being robbed of one's masculinity, occur more often in cases of violent sexual assault, and more often among men who identify as straight. Gay men have a whole other set of traumas that are somewhat more common (facing questions about one's sexuality, the implication that gay men are running the risk of sexual assault inherently), in addition to the usual set of traumas that seems more or less standard (feeling that sex has been devalued and thus becoming very promiscuous, or else avoiding sex entirely, feeling "dirty," etc).

Quorum fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 21, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Pantsuit posted:

Sorry, I don't believe that this actually happens.

This is actually a serious challenge male victims face after having been assaulted by being forced to penetrate! Common sense suggests that "well if you didn't want to have sex you wouldn't have been hard." Turns out, though, that erections can be a physiological response to fear or stress, and indeed to the presence of a sexual scenario, even if participation is not desired!

The 2011 CDC survey which incidentally provided the somewhat controversial one-in-four statistic for female lifetime rape incidence reported a 6.4% lifetime incidence of men being forced to penetrate.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 21, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The Butcher posted:

A sexual scenario I get, but fear or stress not so much. That doesn't make sense from a evolutionary biology perspective. Or from just being a human male for that matter.

When poo poo gets dangerous or sketchy and adrenaline spikes, sex is the absolute last priority. I've been in a few near death high stress situations (because I'm a loving idiot) and have been amazed at how... extremely non-engorged things are on their resolution.

That blood is needed elsewhere.

I know, it's pretty unintuitive, and even the Internet turns up different responses. I think this is something that varies from person to person, but there is something called the reflex erection:

quote:

Another type of non-sexual erection is the reflex erection, which can happen when a man is nervous, scared, angry, or under stress. Reflex erections can also be caused by an enlarged prostate condition, some recreational drugs, and the need to urinate.

It seems like it's mostly meant to make sure you get a boner when you need to pee at night, but sometimes wires can get crossed in stressful situations

• Locked thread