Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Shadow is good. Shadow is life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esht-6olIb8

tlarn fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Oh I guess also I should post this in case someone hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxBYukD9oM

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh sweet Jesus.

Y'know, I seem to remember reading briefly in BSS about the comics of the game going psycho-nutter, but in comparison to THIS...

Damned if I can find the posts, tho.

Edit: NOW I see where Chip got the ideas for Hank the Chog.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 20, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ometeotl posted:

I'll be the one to say it: This game is bad, clearly, but it's much better than Heroes (and Sonic 06, of course).
I've always placed this game in the "So bad it's good" spectrum. It's just competent enough and has some brief glimmers of good ideas that it's tolerable to play so you can laugh at the bad parts.

In short:

alcharagia posted:

This game owns

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I am also one of those weird people who liked this game. It's definitely not a GOOD game, but I liked it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Those drat black aliens. :argh:

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Oh god, I played this game when I was a stupid diehard Sonic fan as a teenager. Even back then, I couldn't really defend this game, and hated it. I think I couldn't finish one of the Evil Path objectives in one of the games levels, I literally couldn't figure out what to do to finish it. And I also love that no matter whose side you're on, goddamn everyone attacks you. Gameplay and Story integration? What's that? :downs:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SirSamVimes posted:

Is this your penance for murdering those poor defenseless waddle dees?

Yes.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
My fanmod of replacing all the music in this game with Lincoln Park was very close to completion until Shadow came out of the videogame and shot me down in cold blood.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Samovar posted:

Oh sweet Jesus.

Y'know, I seem to remember reading briefly in BSS about the comics of the game going psycho-nutter, but in comparison to THIS...

Here you go:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562522&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Lynkericious posted:

I think I couldn't finish one of the Evil Path objectives in one of the games levels, I literally couldn't figure out what to do to finish it.
If it's the level I'm thinking of, I think it's bugged.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Maybe I'm old, but this game is absolute visual garbage and I have no idea what's going on.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

gschmidl posted:

Maybe I'm old, but this game is absolute visual garbage and I have no idea what's going on.

No one does.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

gschmidl posted:

Hmm... the "promised time," huh? Well then... time to go and fulfill this promise.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Oh god this game. To me this game and Sonic Boom WiiU remain the worst 3D Sonic games. This really just has nothing going for it, not even music wise what with it's awful level design and making the control from Sonic Heroes somehow even worse. This game apparently runs on the exact same engine as Sonic Heroes did, just with you only playing as the speed character.

MichaelGreyFox
Jan 18, 2015

A E S T H E T I C S
I actually bought this game not that long ago because I heard how dumb it was

Glad I can never play it again thanks to you. You're doing God's work, kid

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

Oh god this game. To me this game and Sonic Boom WiiU remain the worst 3D Sonic games. This really just has nothing going for it, not even music wise what with it's awful level design and making the control from Sonic Heroes somehow even worse. This game apparently runs on the exact same engine as Sonic Heroes did, just with you only playing as the speed character.

This and Sonic Heroes do a weird thing where they try to steer the character automatically, so if you try to manually adjust for turns as though you are playing a video game you end up over-correcting yourself into a wall or off a pit

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I actually think Heroes is slightly worse than Shadow, but my experience with Heroes is possibly just unusually bad; my copy is almost literally unplayable. I don't recall falling through solid floors while walking or being killed by scripted sequences after the game had taken my control away in Shadow, while in Heroes I couldn't get past the third level because I fell through floors and out of loops or phased through springs in the middle of scripted sequences so often that I would game over. I have vague memories of beating the game, but also of dying over and over again to bizarre glitches, so I might just be imagining the former.

Besides, Shadow is much more fun to gawk at in disbelief, as the first video illustrated.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I had this game too. Can't remember when/why I stopped playing it. Maybe that's a good thing

Still better than Sonic 06 tho

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

sonic 2006 is altogether a much more fun experience than shadow the hedgehog in every way, though.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

FutureFriend posted:

sonic 2006 is altogether a much more fun experience than shadow the hedgehog in every way, though.

Havoc psychic golf course.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Ometeotl posted:

I'll be the one to say it: This game is bad, clearly, but it's much better than Heroes (and Sonic 06, of course).

I feel bad that you have to play the PS2 version, though. Poor bastard.

I mean in the sense that it's hilariously trying-too-hard awful in a way that Heroes never could be then yes, I agree, Shadow is "better". In the sense that it's a more fun and more well-designed actual experience on its own merits as a game I will have to posit that you hit your head and should see a doctor about that concussion. Heroes is kind of like the Nickelback of Sonic games; everyone seems to hate it and while I'm not going to contend it's good I also think people way overblow how bad it actually is, because of...I don't know, peer pressure. I actually...legitimately enjoyed bits of Heroes? Like they were trying something different and it didn't really work, but at least they were making an effort at trying something different, instead of their lazy half-assed trying-something-different with Lost World or their idiot jackshit "maturity" bit with Shadow.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Heroes has the problem of being the same gameplay as Shadow, but Shadow doesn't have enemies needing a million hits to take down (and then you have guns for the more durable ones), janky character swapping but it does have a bunch of different level archetypes, which Heroes was sorely lacking in.

Neither of them are "good" by any stretch of the imagination, but Heroes was worse.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The only bad part about heroes is that Team Dark's missions were too long and Team Chaotix was purposefully not fun. Team Sonic was fun to play as, I never saw what was so bad about the gameplay. I had the Gamecube version though, so maybe that made a difference. I felt like Shadow was more glitchy, the story was cringey, the voice acting was worse, and I had to play through it a million times. I finished both games to their full ending though, so I can't say I found either of them to be truly terrible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

The only bad part about heroes is that Team Dark's missions were too long and Team Chaotix was purposefully not fun. Team Sonic was fun to play as, I never saw what was so bad about the gameplay. I had the Gamecube version though, so maybe that made a difference. I felt like Shadow was more glitchy, the story was cringey, the voice acting was worse, and I had to play through it a million times. I finished both games to their full ending though, so I can't say I found either of them to be truly terrible.

Yeah, that's basically my experience with the game. Lord have mercy is Sonic not the game you want to have search quests in. I don't get how they managed to constantly make 'Game about runfast character' so unfun but they certainly found a way.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
It felt to me like the series was going through a weird peer pressure phase in the 2000's, copying whatever was popular at the time.

SA2 introduced Shadow, an angsty anti-hero.
Shadow the Hedgehog had a choose your own adventure/morality set up.
The storybook games had an experience point/leveling system.
Sonic 06 tried to tell an epic, realistic drama like a Final Fantasy game.
Sonic Unleashed copied God of War's whip gameplay.
Colors took place in space and used temporary powerups a la Mario Galaxy.

Wonder if they would have made an FPS game if this one hadn't done badly.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
In regards to the question of "What if this is your first 'the hedgehog' game", this was my second. My game selection as a kid was whatever my older brothers didn't want, so Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty much all I had on the Gamecube, and I loved that game so much that I wanted this garbage for my birthday or Christmas or something. My aunt used to watch us all pretty often back then, and she confiscated the game for being too graphic and mature.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Ometeotl posted:

Heroes has the problem of being the same gameplay as Shadow, but Shadow doesn't have enemies needing a million hits to take down (and then you have guns for the more durable ones), janky character swapping but it does have a bunch of different level archetypes, which Heroes was sorely lacking in.

Neither of them are "good" by any stretch of the imagination, but Heroes was worse.

Okay seriously are you trolling because I do not understand how guns and motorcycles is in any way "the same gameplay" as janky character swapping and enemies that are too durable.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

JordanKai posted:

Long story short, I wish they would've made Billy Hatcher 2 instead.

I remember Billy Hatcher! Albeit, very faintly. What an odd game, I was compelled to go see if anyone had LPed it after you reminded me it existed, but didn't find one in the LP archive.

Edit: Put me in the "I thought Sonic Heroes was okay" camp. I mean, it wasn't good by any stretch of imagination and I never ran into a single one of the glitches other people mention being in it somehow, but there was a glimmer of an interesting idea with the whole character swapping gimmick, it just had poor execution. Also, too many rails.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TheFattestPat posted:

Sonic 06 tried to tell an epic, realistic drama like a Final Fantasy game.
What.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate that trying replicate current game development trends EXCEPT WITH HEDGEHOGS is an utterly retarded idea, but that really really doesn't sound like Final Fantasy.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Sonic 06 tried to tell what TheFattestPat thinks of as an epic, realistic drama. 'Cuz let's be real. Sonic '06 was totally going for Final Fantasy.

MichaelGreyFox
Jan 18, 2015

A E S T H E T I C S
Real talk, Sonic 06 is one of the most enjoyable Sonic games

Like yea, absolutely nothing about it reaches a quality better than "abysmal" but that's part of it's charm. It's just so tragic that it becomes a lot of fun

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Sonic 06 is a literally perfect thing. Perfectly awful, but perfect in that capacity. It's a rare thing.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
Looking back can't believe I wanted to play this game when I was younger. But yeah Eggman's theme makes this game. Speaking of which for the people searching for the remix here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SITtJDz5X0

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
"Doc Robeatnix Mix" is the best title and I will slay anyone who does not think it, like this game, owns.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looking at screenshots, this game is darker than I remember.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Is this the one with the hilarious theme song?

Okay, more specifically, is this the one with the hilarious theme song where a guy screams "HERE WE GO HERE WE GO HERE WE GO" like 10 times?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LordHippoman posted:

Is this the one with the hilarious theme song?

Okay, more specifically, is this the one with the hilarious theme song where a guy screams "HERE WE GO HERE WE GO HERE WE GO" like 10 times?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kTBbTSjZpI

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crush 40 is a national treasure for their work in the Sonic & Shadow games alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Samovar posted:

Oh sweet Jesus.

I'm reasonably certain that Shadow the Hedgehog(the game) itself didn't get a comic adaptation. The nadir of the Penders era was so full of bullshit that even he couldn't figure out a way to wedge it in. Post reboot they just kind of off-handedly mention that the events of the game did take place in the new universe before going off on a plot line in which the black army appears.

We discussed the penders-pocalypse at length in the archived dark chronicles thread.

• Locked thread