Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LordHippoman posted:

Is this the one with the hilarious theme song?

Okay, more specifically, is this the one with the hilarious theme song where a guy screams "HERE WE GO HERE WE GO HERE WE GO" like 10 times?

Shadow themes are always hilarious. It is the best thing about the character and I love all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

corn in the bible posted:

Shadow themes are always hilarious. It is the best thing about the character and I love all of them.

ALL HAAAAAAIL SHADOW

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

alcharagia posted:

ALL HAAAAAAIL SHADOW

obliterating everything that's not your friend

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You could have left me here, sealed inside the pod- no one would ever know........

the chaos control

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I actually sought out this game of my own free will (on the Gamecube) when I was 17 :negative: I wasn't even a Sonic fan, I guess I just had a lot of free time and was hungry for videogames. Luckily after getting my first ending, I had a friend make an hour-long pitch to me about why I should go buy some game called "Morrowind", which I then did and proceeded to play no other video games for another six months and promptly forgot about Shadow.

This honestly looks worse than I remember, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of bullet I dodged by skipping this one. Though I do still have my copy around here somewhere...

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 13, 2015

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I rented it once because my curiosity got the better of me.

It was everything promised.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is this a 100% run? Because if it's a 100% run I hope you've put together your last will and testament. Don't do a 100% run.

At it's best, this game is so incompetently made that it's hilarious. At it's worst, this game is slightly less fun than driving a metal stake lined with sandpaper through your frontal lobe, and will make you wish you were doing that instead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So are you guys going to cover the expanded universe of this game? I thought you might because it tied into your last LP.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 30, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Early-to-mid-aughts Sonic the Hedgehog holds a special place in my heart for being so trashy, yet so endearing. The attempts at storytelling, the terrible voice acting, the lovably bad characters, the aggressively mediocre gameplay, all of it. Shadow is one of my favorite Sonic characters because he's basically the self-insert of a really dorky 14-year-old.

TwoPair posted:

So are you guys going to cover the expanded universe of this game? I thought you might because it tied into your last LP.

Chaos Control is basically Shadow's version of the Fiddy Zone.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

It's been a while, but we've finally managed to get together to record a new update! This time around, we're going to contront Eggman multiple times and uncover the truth behind Shadow's foggy past...maybe.

Here's the work-in-progress version of the Sonic Heroes theme that Jay mentioned.

Oh and also, please don't post Socially Awkward Shadow memes in my thread, or any memes for that matter. I'm making this an official thread rule and I'll probate anyone who breaks it. :mad:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Oh and also, please don't post Socially Awkward Shadow memes in my thread, or any memes for that matter. I'm making this an official thread rule and I'll probate anyone who breaks it. :mad:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

No way is this game worse than Sonic '06.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Sonic Riders was fun, this game is not worse than Sonic 06, and drat son you aren't very good at this game. You stand still and get hit a lot. Or run face first into enemies and I mean in more than a "This is a poorly made game" way.The flying segments are so bad, but in defense of the alien, you beat him to poo poo before you jumped on him. Prolly makes it hard to fly. Spot on with the Light Dash. I don't think it has ever really worked in any game. Even in SA1 it sucked because you had to charge it. I get where Sega was going with it, but it's awful in 3D. In 2D it can work alright. Yes, I realize what I have said.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

You get through that lava section by using a hovercraft which is locked behind one of those 5 key doors. It's not worth it.

Also yeah, this game is absolutely unforgivably awful, but it's not worse than Sonic 06.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Oh geez, Jordan. Are you planning to subject your co-commentators to a marathon of all the alternate ending themes that play during the credits each time you beat a final boss? How cruel.

Also, why was Jun Senoue biting his tongue when recording most of the vocals for the Sonic Heroes (wip) version? Is that something song writers do frequently?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

It's basically canon that Shadow is the kind of person who would stand in the corner at a party while trying to look cool.

What a dork.

I stand by the notion that this game is lovably bad in terms of writing and voice acting. I mean, just going off of what we've seen so far, Shadow decides he must find out the secrets of his past, but when Satan-Alien gives him an offer to give him this knowledge, he just fucks off and murders Eggman. He also sees some robots that look like low-poly versions him and concludes that he is also a low-poly robot and says he will rule the world.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
This game is better than Sonic '06 because it works as intended

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SonicRulez posted:

Sonic Riders was fun, this game is not worse than Sonic 06, and drat son you aren't very good at this game. You stand still and get hit a lot. Or run face first into enemies and I mean in more than a "This is a poorly made game" way.

In my defense, I'm playing the PS2 version of the game which runs incredibly poorly. It doesn't come through very well on these videos because I encode them at 30fps, but at any moment the framerate can be anywhere between 60 and 5. It's really hard to not run face-first into everything when the speed at which your inputs are accepted by the game is changing constantly. :(

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I would say this is worse than '06, becasue it works. You get an idea with what the creators thought the game should be like, as a functioning entity, with all of the horrible, horrible design choices. With '06, you can never be sure what they actually wanted.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

I would say this is worse than '06, becasue it works. You get an idea with what the creators thought the game should be like, as a functioning entity, with all of the horrible, horrible design choices. With '06, you can never be sure what they actually wanted.
A furry romance?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I actually really like the idea of a game with a single ~1 hour long campaign where one run will show you only part of what there is to see. It's not something I've really seen done with hand-designed levels anywhere else - other games that use that kind of structure are usually procedurally generated.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Know this: Even though I bite this bullet myself, my crimes are your own. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JordanKai posted:

In my defense, I'm playing the PS2 version of the game which runs incredibly poorly. It doesn't come through very well on these videos because I encode them at 30fps, but at any moment the framerate can be anywhere between 60 and 5. It's really hard to not run face-first into everything when the speed at which your inputs are accepted by the game is changing constantly. :(

Fair enough. That must be irritating as hell. Sorry, Jordan. Question: How exactly is Shadow killing Eggman? It looks like he just chopped his skull in half, but Eggman is screaming "Nooooooooooo" when the screen fades to black.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

JordanKai posted:

Well that would be because it's a poo poo port not a poorly made game. I mean you have some good points and there were definitely parts that were lovely and hard to play but you haven't reached any yet from my experiences in the LP, although I had this game on Gamecube and it was pretty decent and had responsive controls to the point me and my friends unironically played the competitive Co-Op. So yeah, the whole blanket statement of "this game is poo poo because controls" more than "This game is poo poo because it's an edgy fanfic" is probably what's getting you people arguing against you in the thread.

SonicRulez posted:

Sonic Riders was fun, this game is not worse than Sonic 06, and drat son you aren't very good at this game. You stand still and get hit a lot. Or run face first into enemies and I mean in more than a "This is a poorly made game" way.The flying segments are so bad, but in defense of the alien, you beat him to poo poo before you jumped on him. Prolly makes it hard to fly. Spot on with the Light Dash. I don't think it has ever really worked in any game. Even in SA1 it sucked because you had to charge it. I get where Sega was going with it, but it's awful in 3D. In 2D it can work alright. Yes, I realize what I have said.

Sonic 06 is a half assed beta they rushed out for holidays because the people in charge decided to flip the poo poo out when Yuji Naka bailed, which is hilarious cause when it was coming out my walmart had a demo of the speed section in the Castle level with the waterfall and it ran almost as well as loving Day Section Unleashed boss fights- which while still slippery and not great, were never as bad as the final version of 06's released game's speed sections.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Fair enough. That must be irritating as hell. Sorry, Jordan. Question: How exactly is Shadow killing Eggman? It looks like he just chopped his skull in half, but Eggman is screaming "Nooooooooooo" when the screen fades to black.

Well he does say he's sending Eggman straight to hell. I found it odd that he kills with a karate chop too but eh, whatever.

If there's anybody I can trust to carry out a murder it's noted honorable man of his word Shadow the Hedgehog

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 13, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The game still controls like rear end though on any system. Shadow moves like he's been greased with butter, the guns have lovely auto-aiming, spin dashing is clunky awkward and useless, wall jumping is awkward and glitchy, there are a ton of issues with hitboxes, Shadow has punch attacks that are laughably useless, the camera spins around wildly at times, it's not broken on the same level as 06 but it is still a mess and the level design is painfully bad at some points. Comparing it to 06 in badness is not an overstatement in the least, 06 is just regarded worse because it was supposed to be a AAA effort that revived the series in next-gen and not a lovely spin-off game with guns

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This game is better than Sonic 06 because it somewhat works. This is the only objectively positive quality is has: the engine only freaks out sometimes, about as often as, say, Sonic Adventure years ago did when the Homing Attack targeted the wrong thing or made you fly circles around it. Everything else is total trash, but it somewhat works.

Shadow the Hedgehog is still worse than Sonic 06 because Sonic 06 is absolutely hilarious in every second, it's such an amazing trainwreck through and through. Shadow sometimes works, therefore it's sometimes not funny, so gently caress it forever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also sonic 06 didn't make you play the game ten times

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
It's so weird that no matter what you're trying to do everything wants to kill Shadow. If the designers had just let you pick your objective at the beginning of the stage and made different paths it would be...well a start at making the game less painful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They probably realize what a dickhead he is. Come on, don't you want to kill him at this point?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

corn in the bible posted:

also sonic 06 didn't make you play the game ten times

Yeah, they only make you play it three times.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's actually brilliant gameplay/story integration. Shadow has no idea what the gently caress he's doing or who he's listening to, if at all, at any given second. Therefore, he is quite open to kill literally anybody because he doesn't actually give a gently caress. Everybody knows that the second they see him, so they desperately defend themselves. Come on people it's not that hard!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In some of the missions where the story applies it, humans(or the aliens, iirc) won't attack you until you hit them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

He crushed his neck, I guess.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I thought whichever faction you currently had assigned (whichever mission you've got picked on the pause screen) will ignore you, unless you attack them first.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I thought whichever faction you currently had assigned (whichever mission you've got picked on the pause screen) will ignore you, unless you attack them first.

No, everyone attacks you no matter what side you're on. The only exception is the very first level, where the GUN soldiers at least will ignore you for the most part.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kurieg posted:

It varies from mission to mission. Eggman robots and aliens will generally always attack you. However, there are definitely missions where they'll leave you alone unless you provoke them. GUN soldiers are also partial to Good Karma Shadow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
However (having not played it) I'd imagine since friendly fire is always on and you're moving (kinda) fast it's way easier to just kill everybody than to try to keep a faction on your side.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

The GUN commander with two eyes specifically told his men to kill shadow the hedgehog, did you miss that part?!

Story spoilers:
He also murdered Maria Robotnik, who had Space AIDS. This is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bhlaab posted:

The GUN commander with two eyes specifically told his men to kill shadow the hedgehog, did you miss that part?!

Story spoilers:
He also murdered Maria Robotnik, who had Space AIDS. This is real.
As long as she didn't catch it from Shadow.

Oh, and

RareAcumen posted:

He crushed his neck, I guess.
Eggman has a neck now?

• Locked thread