Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I actually really like the idea of a game with a single ~1 hour long campaign where one run will show you only part of what there is to see. It's not something I've really seen done with hand-designed levels anywhere else - other games that use that kind of structure are usually procedurally generated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lemma posted:

Well to spell the name 'Maria' in Japanese you would only use three letters: マリア. So this one thing actually makes sense. (The syllabary, not that top secret military computers use a three-character password without numbers or special characters.)
That might be the most realistic and believable thing in the whole Sonic series - there are all kinds of stories from the real world about people in sensitive positions making serious security mistakes. There's a great story in Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! about physical combination locks at military installations - "Safecracker Meets Safecracker".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tyty posted:

I have a feeling it was actually supposed to be. If you play it over the final boss the low-pass cuts out right when you gain control in the fight.
I hear that also works if you play it over The Wizard of Oz.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Were these names originally English or Japanese? I could imagine a lot of that crap produced from several kanji symbols rearranged procedurally.
That wouldn't really work. Without any verb endings or particles the results would basically be nonsense. To get 326 that were usable, you'd have to generate thousands and thousands of them and cherry-pick the few that were any good.

Anyway, as you can see here, that's not what they did at all. As horrifying as it is to think about, there's no doubt that an actual human sat down and wrote every single one of them. Twice.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Personally, I consider them one of my Sonic heroes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Now do it again with the Japanese names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Fortunately, I cannot seem to find a list of the Japanese library.

I woulda loving done it.
http://www.sonic-supporters-seat.net/main/shadowallroute.html Sounds like a Toxx to me.

• Locked thread