Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

BobHoward posted:

It is quite eerie how fast and how smooth the engine starts. Another interesting and different thing I'm sure you're well familiar with is that due to the CVT, acceleration (even hard) runs the engine at constant RPM as long as you keep pressure on the accelerator steady. No sawtooth ramping as it goes through gears, just a constant engine note.

Yes, the engine is only used to generate power, the rpm does not matter as this is set by MG1. The engine will rev to suit the power requested, so flooring it will leave you near redline, while gently accelerating will leave it at much lower rpm. However, acceleration is so quick in this car, it's only a few seconds of "whirrrrrrrr" until you are at cruising speed.

An interesting note, the 2006 GS450h was launched in the US with modified firmware, which only allowed MG1 to set six internal gear ratios, forcing the engine to produce the sawtooth patttern. I'm guessing this insanity was later scrapped in favour of the eCVT we know and love today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I've never managed to make it above 5mph without the engine starting. It's a true parallel hybrid - it uses the motors and engine at all times except for creeping at the lowest speeds (pulling into a parking spot or crawling in traffic). It's an strange sensation, the car will stop the engine as soon as you let off the gas (however it will run continuously from a cold start until it reaches operating temperatures), and will start immediately when you press the gas pedal. Sometimes the engine will run for less than a second before stopping. I'm not sure how it stores the current crank position - normally a 4 stroke engine should rotate twice to locate the crank and cam shaft positions before firing any injectors. This motor starts and runs instantly with no cranking period, even from cold, and even after having the batteries removed.

I'm guessing the electric motor spins up the engine and then applies fuel after it's already spinning. That's how it works in the Volt, I believe.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I understand hybrid mg/starters also "start" at a higher speed and due to being excessively powerful for a starter they feel much smoother doing so.

An interesting note, the 2006 GS450h was launched in the US with modified firmware, which only allowed MG1 to set six internal gear ratios, forcing the engine to produce the sawtooth patttern. I'm guessing this insanity was later scrapped in favour of the eCVT we know and love today.

CAT INTERCEPTOR just got a Subaru Levorg which has an "8 speed" cvt, he gave it a bit of a write up in his thread.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Larrymer posted:

I'm guessing the electric motor spins up the engine and then applies fuel after it's already spinning. That's how it works in the Volt, I believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I understand hybrid mg/starters also "start" at a higher speed and due to being excessively powerful for a starter they feel much smoother doing so.

These are both probably true. What's weird is that there is no audible cranking period - no sounds of the pistons compressing air without fuel, etc. The diagnostic tools do report crank position at all times, perhaps it is stored in memory somewhere (dangerous if the engine is turned manually when shut off!)

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Maybe the cam position sensor uses a Gray code encoder?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Maybe. The crank sensor is a standard VR sensor, I haven't looked at the cam sensors.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Might be a resolver rather than an encoder, instant absolute position down to the accuracy of your ADC.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would expect something like that, especially since you couldn't guarantee exactly where it comes to a stop (does it get to a power stroke and recoil a bit, or does it get just past one, etc).

Even regular vehicles have higher resolution trigger wheels than in years past. My NB had four teeth on the crank trigger, my LS1 has 24, later LS engines have 58...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would expect something like that, especially since you couldn't guarantee exactly where it comes to a stop (does it get to a power stroke and recoil a bit, or does it get just past one, etc).

Even regular vehicles have higher resolution trigger wheels than in years past. My NB had four teeth on the crank trigger, my LS1 has 24, later LS engines have 58...

Subaru, as always, turns in some really weird poo poo with the 6/7 wheel (with 7 tooth cam wheel), but then they thought about it moderately hard and came up with the 36-2-2-2 wheel (and later, the mid-cam 4-1 microwheel).

Standards? Those are for engineering offices whose water coolers don't dispense LSD.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 26, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I read something awhile back saying GM was trying to move to 58 tooth on everything, along with standardizing everything possible between engine families (i.e. same sensors for drat near everything, same E37 ECU for everything, etc).

I know the L61 in my car moved to a 58 for the 2007 model year (mine is 6+1). I'm perfectly fine with this kind of parts binning, makes parts so much cheaper since they're standardizing parts across hundreds of different models. I know a lot of sensors and evap parts on my car work on a ton of different GMs, despite being that weird 05-06 zone where they were still halfway transitioned to a new standard. Downside is people get burned when they think a 2008 Cobalt L61 will work fine in their 2002 Cavalier.... when only the longblock is similar (not identical).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 26, 2017

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Somewhat of an anti-archive bump. I've not been working on the cars recently, but for a good reason - I've bought a new house with a much larger garage, and enough outside storage to keep all of my cars at home rather than parked up at friends houses.

The new shop is large enough to fit a lift, and should provide plenty of working space, meaning I don't have to roll cars outside to work on them each day. The land also has a set of stable blocks which can be used for storing parts (such as a split RX8 which nobody wants parts from!)

The downside of this is that I'm having to save as much money as I can while the sale goes through. I haven't had a day off since the end of October, so no car work for me this month!

I'm back out in Detroit on Sunday too work on NAIAS again, and then I should have a week off in early/mid December, so maybe I'll be able to do some car stuff (more likely I'll be boxing or eBay-ing car parts to make the move less painful).

The RX7 project is still good to go - I'm currently hunting/waiting for a not-massively-overpriced inverter from a GS450h, and weighing up battery options.

The best bit about having this new place is that my Soarers can both come home, and we can get some more Soarer content next year (they both need suspension rebuilds now, which means I'll need a lathe, woo!)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Aw poo poo yeah. A garage is the best.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Again, not much has happened in the last month or so. I spent the first two weeks of December in Detroit, which restricts my ability to work on my cars in the UK :D.

I'm not sure if I posted about it earlier, but I had spent some time sanding and repainting the interior trim pieces that came with the car. I wasn't happy with the finish (I went for a black paint with a clearcoat, which shows all the minute scratches from sanding and will need refinishing), and I was missing a number of parts, includign the switches and ashtray from the centre console, and the elusive (and easily broken) gauge cluster hood.

I found someone selling a set of the three parts. They have been flocked, which I'm not a fan of, however these have been done to a high standard. The gauge hood is (almost) undamaged, and the parts included all the switches that I was missing (not pictured is the complete HVAC control unit which I had already removed.

It even came with the fancy aftermarket aluminium climate control knobs (which can be sold to recover some of the purchase price)

The HVAC controller on the FD is bolted to the fascia, rather than what I'm used to seeing (HVAC controller bolted to the car, with the fascia on top). All of the bolt holes have been damaged on this part (this seems to be a common problem on the FD). Most hards had been glued into place. I used some ABS plastic and a soldering iron to rebuild the missing mounting points (the AC button is glued in there for good, I'll leave it as is), these can now be drilled and replacement screws can be used to secure the controller. I might look at reinforcing this with fiberglass.

I still have my original parts, these may be useful (I can get the screws for the HVAC controls from them), and I can likely sell them to recover some of the cost of these replacement parts. I intend to reinforce the gauge cluster hood with fiberglass to prevent cracking in the future.

This car is slowly coming together. On the electric side, not much has changed. I'm still looking to source a GS450h inverter to drive the hybrid transmission, and I'm spending plenty of free time looking into designing the rest of the electricals.

My house is currently for sale; in an attempt to make it look "tidy", I've moved much of my junk into the garage. The RX7 is now buried under cardboard boxes. It's unlikely that I'll get a chance to work on it in the next few weeks.

I should be in my new house around mid January, at which point this thread will likely turn into a garage upgrades thread, as I prepare the garage for the rest of this project. And after that, I'll bring the Soarers to their home, and I can post about refurbishing the hydraulic suspension on both them. And one of them needs stem seals. And the other needs a brake accumulator reconditioning. And one needs repainting. And they both need (want) bushes all round. gently caress.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

RIP Lexus, for real this time! :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-42529615

(my photo)

Happy new year, everyone!!

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 1, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dammit! :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

God drat man :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wait, what? WTF?
What a bizarre thing to happen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How... how did a parking garage have a fire bad enough for every single car in it to get destroyed? :stare: I can see a single floor getting wiped out, but.... wow.

Between that and the Greenfell Tower fire, it seems like England still loves Lucas a little too much. :smith:

(sorry about your car... that's loving terrible, but at least nobody got hurt, right?)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Awww jeez :(

Really sorry, man. This is awful.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

RIP Lexus, for real this time! :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-42529615

(my photo)

Happy new year, everyone!!

gently caress me sideways

Well that goddamn sucks

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Thanks for the condolences, folks. The current status is, all 1400 cars have been destroyed, 2 levels of the parking structure have collapsed, the rest may come down as well. We are working next door, I get to see it every few minutes.

The big problem is that I need to get home, then get to my next job at 6am tomorrow. But no insurance companies are open today, so I can't take a Soarer.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

One day insurance maybe? There are a bunch of places on google.

Sucks about you car, manchester can’t seem to catch a break lately, did some flats not burn down a few days ago?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

stump posted:

One day insurance maybe? There are a bunch of places on google.

None of the one day insurers will cover imported cars. I'm struggling to get a hire car sorted in time.

I needed the Lexus to provide the Can and other data to drive the inverter for my Rx7. I can't do that now, so I'm not sure how to continue that project!

Ughhhhhhhh

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Jesus, that blows. Goondolences, man.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that's loving rough.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

None of the one day insurers will cover imported cars. I'm struggling to get a hire car sorted in time.

I needed the Lexus to provide the Can and other data to drive the inverter for my Rx7. I can't do that now, so I'm not sure how to continue that project!

Ughhhhhhhh

Long term sounds like another Lexus as DailyDriver and DataDonor is a reasonable idea, you can always sell out after you're done. Best of luck for hire car, how would your work react to an early call regarding "can't get a hire car, need to insure another car before I can come in late today"?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This is one of those "wow that's a thing, that would suck." And then you see it happens to someone you kind of know and it really suuuuuucks.

That really sucks. I hope you can get everything sorted soon.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Best of luck for hire car, how would your work react to an early call regarding "can't get a hire car, need to insure another car before I can come in late today"?

Cheers everyone!

I'm meant to be in work at 8.30am, it's a 90 minute drive. The Enterprise by my house will rent me a Focus (or equivalent) for £17 per day. They open at 9, I texted my client, he said that coming in at 11am is fine because of the circumstances. It's a no-brainer! I'll look at buying a car during the week, or at least getting the insurance transferred to a Soarer for the next "while" at work.

I agree, another GS450h would be nice, shame that none of the ones on eBay have radar.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's a really long commute :/

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

So far, it's been a somewhat eventful few weeks!

The Soarer behaved for the first week, and then managed to rupture a suspension fluid hose on the drive into work one Monday morning. This resulted in a quick serpentine belt removal (still takes 30+ minutes on these cars!) and a drive home with no power steering, followed by a morning on my rainy driveway to replace the hose.

The next day, a rock managed to take out my unicorn JDM windshield. Cue my insurance company overnight 2-week shipping a new screen from Japan (they still have residual stock of some Soarer screens!), and another claim added to my insurance record. I am truly hosed if I ever want to drive a non-economy car in the UK for the next 5 years :(.

My insurance paid out for the Lexus (another claim, more £££ for my car insurance in the future!), the car was covered but the £2200 of tools inside were not. The local authority who owns the car park is keeping everyone updated, my hope is that I will be able to visit the wreck once it is removed, and maybe recover some items. For now, here are some photographs from inside the car park:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The tools will be junk. The fire will have annealed them, if not outright melted them. That loving blows.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Depends, were they made of solid tungsten?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

The tools will be junk. The fire will have annealed them, if not outright melted them. That loving blows.

They'd probably look awesome on my wall, though!

It would be nice to see the car one last time. It's not looking likely - the current plan is to demolish the building with the cars inside, and send the whole lot off as scrap, rather than sort the cars out and scrap them later.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

After all that heat, I wouldn't think the structure would be trustworthy enough to walk around in the park, would it?

Would your home or tenant insurance cover possessions inside the car? Mine does, never did figure out why it works that way, but it does.

Some of those cars on the top level look unscathed, they have any plans to try to retrieve those? Or is it just too dangerous to try and get them?

ITV posted:

The aftermath of the blaze, caused by a Land Rover bursting in flames, was captured by photographs from Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service, showing a number of burnt-out vehicles.

LUCAS :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 28, 2018

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

After all that heat, I wouldn't think the structure would be trustworthy enough to walk around in the park, would it?

Would your home or tenant insurance cover possessions inside the car? Mine does, never did figure out why it works that way, but it does.

Some of those cars on the top level look unscathed, they have any plans to try to retrieve those? Or is it just too dangerous to try and get them?

LUCAS :argh:

The structure is sealed and guarded to prevent anyone trying to enter it. They have said that it will be demolished as-is. In the pictures you can see that the concrete floors have crumbled, only the steel mesh remains. In many areas, cars have fallen through the floor.

I did check my home insurance, but because I'm an idiot, I didn't take out the "away from home" cover which would have covered this.

The cars on the top level have been written off and paid out by their insurance companies, likely so they don't have to fork out for months of rental cars for the owners, only to find that there was xyz problems with those cars which require ££££ to repair when recovered. Maybe they will be removed with a crane, maybe not, who knows.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My insurance paid out for the Lexus (another claim, more £££ for my car insurance in the future!), the car was covered but the £2200 of tools inside were not. The local authority who owns the car park is keeping everyone updated, my hope is that I will be able to visit the wreck once it is removed, and maybe recover some items. For now, here are some photographs from inside the car park:

Hang on, why would your insurance need to pay out for the fire? Wouldn't that be the structure owner's liability?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Hang on, why would your insurance need to pay out for the fire? Wouldn't that be the structure owner's liability?

Yeah, I imagine there might be some sort of class action suit from all the vehicle owners, if so jump on that poo poo and maybe you will eventually get fully compensated for everything.

I bet there were a lot of people happy from getting out of their car loans though :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Well, it was a parked car that started the fire...

I would think going through your own insurance and letting them sort everything out is the fastest way to get people back into vehicles that are more than a charred shell. Then the insurance will probably go after the owner of the Land Rover that sparked the whole thing, the building owners, the building engineers, whoever decided to skip fire sprinklers, etc etc etc.

I'm still amazed that one car going up in flames took out an entire parking structure. You hear about a car fire in a parking garage here and it's usually just a handful of cars damaged.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 31, 2018

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Apparently criminally negligent building construction resulting in huge fires is all the rage in Britain these days. See: Grenfell Tower https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire#Investigations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Grakkus posted:

Apparently criminally negligent building construction resulting in huge fires is all the rage in Britain these days. See: Grenfell Tower https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire#Investigations

And as far as I'm aware, gently caress all has been done about the billion other blocks of flats that don't have adequate fire security. ...because only poors live in flats.

• Locked thread