Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd pick something that easily bolts up the to the transmission and with the least complications with the mounts/plumbing. You can add power later.

2.0 or 2.5L Mazda turbo maybe? 2.3L from the Mazdaspeed? Not sure what bolts up to the Miata/Rx8 trans, honestly.

Edit: supposedly the 1jz bolts right up to the trans. :iiam: Maybe that's horse poo poo but it's on at least a couple internet sites.

Edit2: The cake is a lie. Doesn't look like the trans will bolt up to the engine like some people led me to believe.

http://www.rx8club.com/non-rotary-swaps-196/1jzgte-rx-8-garage-swap-253915/

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dang, what would it cost to just rebuild the renesis and fix the problems with it? I know very little about them except they weren't great at release.

All that modification for stock power seems like a waste when you could maybe just fix the bad stock parts?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It just seems like that is a tough chassis to get into fabbing up stuff since it sounds like literally everything has to be redone. That's why I suggested the original/modified engine instead of trying to fix all that stuff. I looked into LS swapping one since they handle well supposedly and ran away. :v: You're a braver man than I.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Keep this one. I'm sure if you ask nicely you could have Phone rename it if you really wanted to.

Maybe I'm missing :thejoke: here...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

If you want some UZZ32 control arms though, I have at least 24.

:stare: Holy poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Neat. This sounds like a massive amount of work. How are you going to integrate the pedal/throttle control to the engine's ECU? Or are you doing something custom for that as well?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I still think you're a crazy person for choosing this engine in this chassis, but I still enjoy reading the updates. :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sad to see it but I think you made the right call. That chassis seems like a pain in the rear end to work around for almost any swap, let alone the rust.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

This is all true! :) Since buying a welder, I've welded things that I'd never previously thought needed welding. Weld everything!

Alternatively, I got my welder operational for a project two years ago. I've used it on one project, two years ago. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Please tell me you aren't putting a Ford v6 in it. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What does SA think about this? I know it's probably quite a controversial choice for an RX7?

:golfclap:

Unless it was a ford ecoboost v6, that would be ok then too. I think what you're looking at is a fine choice given that you can't get cheap and plentiful LS motors there. You seem to like working on cars, so that will probably keep your hobby going. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Option 1 looks to be the best, but I a was after a 300-350hp motor, not a 450+hp motor.

From reading spyder's threads, I'd be very wary of rebuilds on rotaries. Sounds like a lot of potential for gently caress ups. What do you know about that build and builder?

I'd personally rather have a stock motor to rebuild yourself/pick your builder vs. getting an unknown quantity.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Any name suggestions?

It should probably include "foreskin" in the title, given your new name. And that F could be part of FD. I'm drawing a blank beyond that, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm flying out to Detroit on Sunday for part of my yearly experience of the auto show (I'll be heading there at least two more times before the end of the year). Which means no more car updates for the next 2-3 weeks.

I don't think I even went last year. Maybe this year will be better and worth going to.

Sucks that you're constrained by what you can get in the UK, but still this should be interesting.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've never managed to make it above 5mph without the engine starting. It's a true parallel hybrid - it uses the motors and engine at all times except for creeping at the lowest speeds (pulling into a parking spot or crawling in traffic). It's an strange sensation, the car will stop the engine as soon as you let off the gas (however it will run continuously from a cold start until it reaches operating temperatures), and will start immediately when you press the gas pedal. Sometimes the engine will run for less than a second before stopping. I'm not sure how it stores the current crank position - normally a 4 stroke engine should rotate twice to locate the crank and cam shaft positions before firing any injectors. This motor starts and runs instantly with no cranking period, even from cold, and even after having the batteries removed.

I'm guessing the electric motor spins up the engine and then applies fuel after it's already spinning. That's how it works in the Volt, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm going to be in various cities throught July-September. Specifically:

July: Cleveland, Washington, Philadelphia
August: E. Rutherford, Boston, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami
September: Arlington, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Clara

I can't discuss my work this time, unfortunately. But if anyone is around, I'll hopefully have some time off to say hi!

drat, that's a lot of travel. Let me know when you're in Detroit, there are a few AI goons here. August is a good time for cars with the dream cruise and not "ball-shriveling cold" weather.

• Locked thread