Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There is an SC400 of some description for sale right across the street from my office. They want $4500 and it's an auto :(

I've always loved the crazy rear end door hinges on these beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wow, surface mount is a pain in the rear end. Good work there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Here's a 'wall of fail', from another website, showing what other 'automotive electricians' have attempted in the past.

WTF how did multiple people butcher it that badly?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

I think he means to reverse engineer the inputs and outputs of the existing display/interface, and just replace the computer bits with something modern. Still requires probably too much work, considering how few of these are extant.

That sounds deeply unpleasant. Only either a really dedicated hobbyist with a lot of electronics experience would do it, or someone who thinks they could make money off of it.

And yeah, even worse because of limited instances to dissect.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I think I'm the only guy lovingly restoring and modifying a stock '92 Civic tape deck; there's no way the core audience is going to put in more effort than a recap job for a Soarer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

Got any tips on how to unfuck my Protege's tape deck? I think the head must be hella dirty because the radio works but I get almost no sound out of a cassette.

I'd clean whatever you can first. Note: My plan is to eventually remove the tape playing part of the deck and putting a Chinese Bluetooth audio chip in there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Scrub the head and all the rollers. Not sure why that would make it quiet but it probably can't hurt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What's the reasonable operating temperature range for an LNG car? It was common at one time in Canada to put propane in cars but it was a lot of work to make it cook off in -40 or even -20. You also could not park your propane car inside an enclosed or underground parking garage.

Chevrolet also made a few CNG versions of their particularly low-compression economy engines, so you could get a CNG S10 or Cavalier or whatever. I'm not sure how CNG differs from LPG differs from propane as I had assumed they were all basically the same thing; I assume CNG injects at a much higher pressure and is probably gaseous.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 26, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I assume with the propane tanks it was because c3h8 is heavier than air. Any leaks inside an enclosed space would sit there forever, waiting for some toolshed to spark them.

I have a feeling that's more urban legend than anything else though.

Oddly enough our fire code says it's fine to park a propane fuelled vehicle inside a regular garage, just not one "serving more than one dwelling unit" or that is used by the public.

http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/documents/ss/STANDATA/fire/fci/97fci003.pdf

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 26, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, I've never seen that second diagram of wheelbase difference before and I've gotten a lot of alignments done.

Time to distract my alignment guy and tab through his computer when I put the Civic on the rack.

Also, white chassis paint? Brave man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I've seen the 3D diagram before. My preferred alignment shop isn't so much a race shop as a seedy ghetto shop that lets me go into the back because they probably don't have insurance.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hey, double post. Suck it propriety, we're going into overtime.

So I saw a $900 '91 LS400 about three hours away that looks super nice, but the dude says it needs a heater core and "possibly a fuel pump" as he can't start it, and his hick mechanic can only start it "when he puts fuel in the intake."

I somewhat doubt his diagnosis of fuel pump, since it's not hard to swap the fuel pump on those (or pretty much any, barring Saab) cars. I also read "fuel in the intake" as "fuckload of ether."

Is it pretty much a 100% chance of being bad caps in the ECU (like the Soarers), or is the capacitor plague on Lexuses fairly overblown?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think I've ever seen shocks with a gas port before. I assumed they were all just cartridges dropped into a housing somehow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is this car where Toyota put all their "weird" engineers while they were busy building the LS400 in the next room?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Congratulations, get ready to have a bunch of new projects.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

I'm going to put 1UZs in everything.

No, I mean, like, house projects. Kiss your free time goodbye.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Does exhaust paint really do anything at all? Perhaps I'm cynical since I live somewhere the salt destroys pipes but it doesn't seem that effective.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Everything is now going to sit for at least another 3 weeks while I finish off the house. I decided to do all the house projects at the same time, so that when it's done, it's done. However, it's still not done.

There is always more, and it is always worse.

But you can reach equilibrium.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Something very strange just happened in this thread and I'm totally on board for it.

I'm a little shocked a 3.0L V6 Jaguar is extreme enough to qualify for Gumball.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Screw air conditioning, you don't need it when you've got speed.

Lots of good work here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would expect something like that, especially since you couldn't guarantee exactly where it comes to a stop (does it get to a power stroke and recoil a bit, or does it get just past one, etc).

Even regular vehicles have higher resolution trigger wheels than in years past. My NB had four teeth on the crank trigger, my LS1 has 24, later LS engines have 58...

Subaru, as always, turns in some really weird poo poo with the 6/7 wheel (with 7 tooth cam wheel), but then they thought about it moderately hard and came up with the 36-2-2-2 wheel (and later, the mid-cam 4-1 microwheel).

Standards? Those are for engineering offices whose water coolers don't dispense LSD.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 26, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Awww jeez :(

Really sorry, man. This is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A bunch of ECUs from that generation seem to have bad/dodgy caps. Almost all the LS400s for sale here have various ailments from bad ECU caps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/656360-all-my-crazy-lexus-issues-solved-ecu-leaking-capacitor.html

The C14 power filter cap on my EG Civic definitely killed it pretty dead trying to get home from brunch.

• Locked thread