Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

The "performance hybrid" models got the V6. I think that now, any xx350 Lexus now has the 2GR-FE 3.5l V6. Toyota are stuffing those motors in everything (though the FSE is better :p).

Although you're correct - back in 2006 it was 2?JZ or 3UZ until the GS450h came out.

Edit: Update, finished revision 3 of the bellhousing adapter and drew the parts to make up a cute build-your-own 54mm socket for you-know-why (rotaries :argh:). It's time to talk nicely to the man who runs the laser cutter at work.

I just bought a used 2-1/8" 3/4" drive socket at a swap meet tool vendor, and a 3/4"-1/2" drive adapter. It's close enough, when they're that big. Mind you, if I still had access to a waterjet, I would have cut the hex out of 1/4" plate and welded it to a couple inches of pipe and a a handle, like the one Mazdatrix sells. Still, the used socket and adapter were under $20-25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I built a puller that was as simple as a plate that spans the two bolt holes and presses on the center but ( installed loosely on the end of the e-shaft). You tighten the two bolts progressively to pop it loose. I don't thing the two bolt holes are to push the flywheel off like a brake rotor, just to anchor a tool to pull it off. I believe that the official tool has a center screw like a gear puller, but mine worked. Usually, hitting the flywheel with a soft faced hammer all around the perimeter (unintuitively, toward the engine) will pop it off the taper. Thread the nut on a little to keep it from falling on the floor. There are videos on the web.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm kind of surprised a brass hammer marked a cast iron flywheel. I used a plastic dead blow hammer when I tried it. I honestly don't recall if it worked, though. I think it didn't, which is why I made the tool.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Here's the tool that RB has:
http://www.racingbeat.com/RX8/Flywheels/22002.html

Tutorials on removal without the tool, or rather, with a hammer, just in case you missed something in your technique:
https://www.mazdatrix.com/faq/flywheelremoval.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXefDbfrLA
http://www.rotaryresurrection.com/2ndgen/tech_flywheel_remove.html

I can't claim any expertise - I've only removed one flywheel, and I used my home-made puller, which works more or less like the RB one.

The general consensus seems to be sometimes it's easy, but sometimes it's a pain.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Larrymer posted:

I still think you're a crazy person for choosing this engine in this chassis, but I still enjoy reading the updates. :allears:

Well, he doesn't have the luxury of cheap ubiquitous LSx V8s, so it's pretty much a crap shoot after that. OHC V8s won't fit, Rover V8 is ancient and tiny. So, why not a decent V6? It's not like they make a lot less hp any more.
Still crazy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

UK customs is hilarious, the formula is:

import tax = (purchase price + shipping cost) * 0.1
sales tax = (purchase price + shipping cost + import tax) * 0.2

For example, a £4000 engine that cost £1000 to ship will cost me £500 in import tax, then the £5500 total will mean I have to pay £1100 in sales tax - that £4000 engine has just cost me £6600 to get it here.

And with GBP being weak against USD, it's a terrible time to buy. Fuckers.

You pay tax on a tax? Wow, what a pile of government manure.

as far as the engine being buried in the firewall - was moving it anfd the transmission forward not an option? I forget. Yes, it would mean custom drive shaft and trans mount (or, I think on these, lengthening the PPF) but I think I'd be able to manage that better than such extensive firewall surgery.

I beat the poo poo out of the thing earlier with a brass hammer. No good?

Bigger/more hammer with the puller applying tension.
I think I posted the removal procedure earlier in the thread, maybe? You kind of have to get the thing "ringing" to make it come off the taper. I'd alos use a solid chunk of something between the e-shaft and the puller, rather than the off-center bolt. The puller I made looks essentially the same as what you have, but with another 12 mm or so chunk of steel fastened in the center to stand it off. I've successfully pulled a 12A flywheel with it. Some are more difficult than others.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

https://www.mazdatrix.com/faq/flywheelremoval.htm

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXefDbfrLA

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Holy blue-balls, Batman!

Though with that rust, probably the best call. Make the next project so epic we forget about this one!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's pretty lovely. I have a nice patch of rust on the inside of the boot in my car on one side, arches have been welded in previously and the car's now leak free but the fact it's still there annoys me. I need to pay a man some coin in order to get that sorted, alternatively learn to weld myself as something tells me it'll be useful seeing as I like old cars.

It's useful, period.
Once you can weld, you can fix all sorts of things properly, that would be awkward, difficult, or just impossible to screw/strap/tape together.
I've fixed my mother-in-law's patio gazebo canopy frame, handlebar braces on my lawnmower, modified a bit of my folding contractor's table-saw, made new mounting rings for the gloves on my media blaster (previous plastic ones were melted in a fire, which is why I have the media blaster), etc.
Any time something metal needs to be repaired or added on to: welder!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Alternatively, I got my welder operational for a project two years ago. I've used it on one project, two years ago. :v:

You are obviously much more gentle on you things than myself and my family. We break poo poo. We also keep old poo poo, which breaks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

With the dashboard and heater core out, I can replace the missing/cut carpet with a full carpet. It's annoying how the carpet tucks under the HVAC system, requiring hours of work to remove it. If the car had been complete, I imagine that the coolant (and maybe AC) would need to be drained to do this.

Mazda did this on the first and second gen RX-7s as well. Most of us just cut the carpet as far under the box as possible, which is usually out of site, and pull it out that way. Unless you've already got it apart, like you did.

I like your style - fix all the things first, then you know it's fixed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bibendum posted:

A bit of a weird question, but that looks like it is set-up for 2+2seats, was that an option on fd's? I've only seen two seaters here in America. I used to have an fc with the 2+2 and liked it and now that I have growing kids a 2+2 fd could really fit the bill.

Not only were the FDs available with rear seats (though approximately none made it to the US), SA/FBs and FCs were, too. More of those made it stateside.
I have a '90 with rear seats. As with the FD, they are hilariously useless.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The bucket design of the FD rear seats look like they'd be quite useful at keeping bags of groceries from rolling around when you drift back from the store.

Well, yeah, probably. :)
FCs are the same way, though not quite as deep, I think. I can actually sit back there, just, you know, not with anyone in the front seat. Or the front seat actually latched upright.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Not bad. Doesn't really get to the meat... er, capsulize the contents, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wrar posted:

If you're going to be in America buy an LS! :v:

....and fly it back as checked luggage. A bit big for carry-on, I'm afraid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meltie posted:

crap ground?

partially seized wiper transmission?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm also looking for dimensions on Tesla Model S drive units, info on these is vague, the best I can find is that it's 31 inches long, which means it would fit in an FD if mounted upside down in front of the rear axle, to occupy the space currently used by the rear seats.

Well, this is an interesting development.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wait, what? WTF?
What a bizarre thing to happen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My insurance paid out for the Lexus (another claim, more £££ for my car insurance in the future!), the car was covered but the £2200 of tools inside were not. The local authority who owns the car park is keeping everyone updated, my hope is that I will be able to visit the wreck once it is removed, and maybe recover some items. For now, here are some photographs from inside the car park:

Hang on, why would your insurance need to pay out for the fire? Wouldn't that be the structure owner's liability?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Arlington, Virginia, or Arlington, Texas?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Ah, you must be visiting the GM plant there. Go draw dicks on something for me.

That's right up the highway from where I live.
In fact, in my youth, I actually lived about a mile from the plant.

There's a few other goons here and around. STR isn't far away when he's not in Austin.

STR posted:

Arlington is currently about 45 minutes away, though I'm moving to Austin a bit before you'll be here. Still, I'll be back up this way pretty frequently (family and friends up here), and Houston is only a 2.5 hour drive. I don't know Houston worth a drat, but I know plenty of good taco places around Arlington. Shoot me a PM when you're in TX if you want tacos + lovely American beer.

I think Darchangel is about 20-30 minutes from Arlington?

Ayup. I'm not far from the south end of DFW airport.
Go with STRs recommendations. I'm in no way a gourmand. I'm not even good at dive bars.
There is an actual authentic (as far as I can tell) English pub in North Richland Hills, about 30 minutes away or so, if you're missing home foods. I had some bangers and mash that made me very happy. And a Scotch egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Heh, my stepfather at the time was plant manager there during them building various series suvs there.

They were building a-bodies or possibly early g-bodies when I lived there. They had an open house once during that time. Visiting a working auto manufacturing plant as a kid is one of the most awesome things ever.

• Locked thread