Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
I'm surprised no one's replaced the 25 year old computer with an ardruino or raspberry Pi. You'd be able to bring all the missing functionally back like the GPS etc in English, and be able to add extra stuff like live OBD output to the screen, all while keeping the stock look and feel. Or is this something that's already been done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Amazing work as usual. I always love reading you and the spyder's (rx7) threads as you both make it seem incredibly easy to maintain these cars full of 90's technological extravagance. In regards to converting the stock display, I always thought I'd be cool, but didn't think i'd be possible till I saw it done on Mighty Car Mods with the stock Subaru climate control module. Would of loved something like that on my Legacy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaI9O5yeuWc

Also, besides the screen module, what are the other parts that are now near impossible to find in good condition?

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Voting Ford/Jag 3.0 V6 if it's a bolt-up to the current 6-speed. Easy & cheap enough to find and get parts for in the UK. Plus I thought some came factory with supercharger, or am I mistaken? I know the new ones do.

I always thought the RX-8 was the perfect all-round coupe let down by the engine, but swapping in a V6 with +50% torque sounds like exactly like what the factory should have done from the start.

How much more can you get out of a Duratec staying NA with just cams and remap?

EDIT: Well, 2.5 will do. Nice.

Jomo fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 1, 2016

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Ughhhhhh the Duratec sounded like wanking trashcan-dwelling skeletons. Probably for the best. It's Mazduar time.

Yessss... Especially like the news that you've found someone to make a gearbox adapter plate for you. Thought now I'm interested in how much firewall modification you'll have to do to get it to fit in nicely.

Plus I look forward to learning more about CAN bus since I know pretty much nothing about it.

What are your suspension plans for this btw?

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Also what do the Japanese care anyway, by the time the plugs need doing they long ago flogged the car to one of us South Pacific suckers.

Welp, already had a quick search on TradeMe.co.nz. 12k for a decent example seems ok for the fact that you get Corolla reliability + 200hp at the wheels to play with, but it's still a 10 year car. Was hoping they where down in the 8-10k range. Then again VW GTI MK5 (manual), VW R32 (DSG) and 130i (manual) are still 15-18k so it's a tough sell when for a bit more I can get something a lot less plastic fantastic.

Sorry for the derail, been thinking of getting a 5 door hatchback (with some power behind it) later on in the year and didn't know the Blade Master existed till now. 90% I'll probably go for the Mazda 3 turbo. Though AI option of K20A Honda Edix + supercharger kit makes up the other 10%.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Tesla Model S drive units...

:chanpop:

Go on...

Also I'd contact some of the people online who have rebuild Tesla's, since they've either got this info already or the motors on hand to measure up. Try getting in touch with Car Guru on Youtube since he know his way around them quite well.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
How much power does the MG1 put out compared to the MG2 unit? Also having a look at the cut-away, would it be possible to remove the MG1 unit (since it looks like it's a seperate split section) and add in another MG2 unit in series? Not that I expect you to go this extreme but I'm just curious as to the design of this hybrid gearbox.

I'm guessing you've already made measurements as to how it'll fit in the stock RX7 transmission tunnel, will cutting/messaging be required?

So many questions! Always been a fan of EV conversions.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
There is a guy in NZ is also a Soarer fanatic and seems to have a lot of knowledge and spare parts, you should contact him and see if he has a spare ECU or can fix yours. He also has cleanest UZZ32 in existence for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I've known Mike for a few years, when he first started out, we spoke a lot about these cars. His car, #32 was purchased with no active suspension. He ended up installing it himself, rebuilding most of the system to "new" condition, and stuck a 3UZ in there with a shitload of custom fabrication.

I run the same electronics services for these cars in the UK as Mike does in NZ. I have pulled my ECU apart, but have not replaced any components yet (the capacitors are only a few years old).

Well... now i know this Soarer obsession is contagious I'm extremely worried. Joke's aside, it must actually be hard to sell one in such good condition. I imagine most people with $15k to burn on a weekend car probably don't have the Soarer at the top of their list. Still a very cool build on his part.

• Locked thread