Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

So far, it's been a somewhat eventful few weeks!

The Soarer behaved for the first week, and then managed to rupture a suspension fluid hose on the drive into work one Monday morning. This resulted in a quick serpentine belt removal (still takes 30+ minutes on these cars!) and a drive home with no power steering, followed by a morning on my rainy driveway to replace the hose.

The next day, a rock managed to take out my unicorn JDM windshield. Cue my insurance company overnight 2-week shipping a new screen from Japan (they still have residual stock of some Soarer screens!), and another claim added to my insurance record. I am truly hosed if I ever want to drive a non-economy car in the UK for the next 5 years :(.

My insurance paid out for the Lexus (another claim, more £££ for my car insurance in the future!), the car was covered but the £2200 of tools inside were not. The local authority who owns the car park is keeping everyone updated, my hope is that I will be able to visit the wreck once it is removed, and maybe recover some items. For now, here are some photographs from inside the car park:

Do you have home insurance? Have you checked if they will cover any of the contents of the car? possessions that you lose while they have been taken out of the house are covered under many policies.
When my car was stolen and later burnt out I claimed all the contents via my home insurance and got a pay out.

Also regarding windscreens I thought that the screen for my 80's Saab would be hard to get hold of. I swapped one out of a scrap car carefully reusing the seal but have since found that I can still order one at around £120 including a new seal which isnt far off what one for a modern car costs!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And as far as I'm aware, gently caress all has been done about the billion other blocks of flats that don't have adequate fire security. ...because only poors live in flats.

I'm working in some PFI school buildings doing ICT stuff. Not only do we have to follow the standard managed PFI procedure for getting any work done (gently caress loads of forms and extra time and money), but as a blanket rule now (since many of the PFI/BSF era schools have external cladding on) we are now not allowed to have any holes drilled in any walls (we are getting 20 network points added and some access points installed) without getting them checked and signed off by a certified/accredited firestopping and sealing contractor. There appears to be one of them in the Manchester area and he is a very very busy man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread