Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Not sure why SRs are expensive there at all. Did you guys get the S13/14/15 Silvia/200SX? Ugh, looked at Ebay and they're nearly 2k £. Gross.

RBs are heavy.

What about the RWD 3SGTE from the IS200/Altezza? Doing more research looks like the transverse ones bolt up pretty easily to a RWD Toyota trans, you just need to do some oil pan/pickup changes.

Weird that Duratec/MZRs are pricey given that Ford/Mazda stuck them in half of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
3SGTEs are pretty cheap on Ebay.co.uk. I did 5 minutes of research and they bolt up to many RWD toyota transmissions with minimum modification supposedly.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It sounds like the 1uz needs a lot of big things while the kl needs a lot of little things.

The kl would be much cooler.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
http://www.miatabusa.com

This will take care of some of the problem.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have your CANbus sniffing solution: http://skpang.co.uk/catalog/pican2-canbus-board-for-raspberry-pi-23-p-1475.html

Here is some practical implementation stuff. http://www.cowfishstudios.com/blog/canned-pi-part1

Wrar fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 8, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The RX-8 has electric power steering though?

I've been looking into a similar CAN related project for the Outback, because automatic transmissions are meh.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Paging Phone.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm impressed as hell but wouldn't a Megasquirt be way easier than Speeduino? I realize it's more money but this seems like you're resolving a lot of things that are already solved in the Megasquirt package.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

It would be easier, but I want to do this on the cheap and I want to learn and experience all these things. Buying something off the shelf feels like a cop out. Integrating a homebrew (goon made!!) ECU into a car and making the car think it's stock is much more exciting!

I'm aiming to complete this for £2k total. I'm currently still well under £1k and have yet to sell the RX8 engine or 80% of the Jag parts. :effort:

That is awesome, you are awesome, this thread is awesome.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You are doing good work. I love your posts :)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you're going to be in America buy an LS! :v:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You're totally crazy. Have you considered importing a motor from Japan, Australia or the US? There are several Rotorheads on this forum who could help and insure you got a proper engine.

Anyway:
You can also use various other EPS units. This guy did a great writeup on LS1Tech: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1848775-35-electric-power-steering-fail-safe-no-ebay-module-no-caster-issues.html
I have one from a Versa. It's a similar design to the Prius ones. Kia/Hyundai also make several you could try. You could also grab one from a Yaris.

One of the known issues with the Leaf battery packs is they're not cooled and have a tendency to wear out early as a result.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Aw poo poo yeah. A garage is the best.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This is one of those "wow that's a thing, that would suck." And then you see it happens to someone you kind of know and it really suuuuuucks.

That really sucks. I hope you can get everything sorted soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's a really long commute :/

• Locked thread