Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I decided to fit a 'valve saver' to this engine. There is dispute of whether or not this actually works. The argument for valve savers is that with no oily liquid being sprayed into the engine, there would be no film of oil created on the backs of the valves. This would introduce metal-on-metal contact between the valves and seats, causing premature valve/seat wear. The 1UZ, being from the late 80's, should not suffer so much from this as it would have hardened valve seats, a result of the recent switch to unleaded fuel and the unknown effect it would have on softer valve seats.

However, the system is cheap and simple. It's a bottle, mounted to the car, with a drip that feeds into a vacuum port on the engine. I drilled and mounted a nozzle next to the throttle body, and drilled/riveted the mountign bracket for the bottle to the hydraulic fan fluid

Look at a direct-injected gasoline engine - I'm sure this isn't hurting anything, but it's also most likely completely unnecessary. The vast majority of DI engines have no port-injection going on, so they only have air + PCV/EGR gasses passing over the intake valves. They don't run into wear issues, but they do run into carbon buildup because there's nothing to wash that poo poo back off.

Since you run on gasoline when you start up, I'd bet you get enough cleaning action from that alone to keep the intake valves clean even if you run on LPG exclusively after the engine is warm.

Well-done install, that seems like it'd be a lot easier on a much simpler manifold versus that two-piece super-long-runner setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Presumably that car must've been in a big accident in the past that wasn't repaired well enough (or arguably shouldn't have been repaired at all).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It looks like it doesn't need to be at TDC, just in an exhaust stroke.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That sucks, but it was the right call. If it's so rotten that it can't even sit on a stand, that's a big problem.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would expect something like that, especially since you couldn't guarantee exactly where it comes to a stop (does it get to a power stroke and recoil a bit, or does it get just past one, etc).

Even regular vehicles have higher resolution trigger wheels than in years past. My NB had four teeth on the crank trigger, my LS1 has 24, later LS engines have 58...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that's loving rough.

• Locked thread