Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire
Late to the party but if your only cons to a 2JZ-GE are weight and length, here's what a 1J looks like in a RX8 bay:

(from this old for sale thread I remembered after lurking on this thread)

A 2JZ-GE is going to weigh like 150lbs more than a renesis but it looks like you can get it pretty well balanced over the front axle. Move the battery to the truck and you're not in bad shape. Plus, if you get bored with ~220hp you have plenty of options.

Transmission would be the biggest problem. It would be awesome if you could get a trans adapter plate and keep the rx8 6spd like you planned. If not, you probably have a w58 or r154 lying around, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

That's gorgeous. Awesome build :)

W58's are silly money now. R154s are £1000+ for an old, unknown one. Everyone with a Toyota JZ or UZ series wants a R154.

I can get hold of a 2JZ-GE for a few hundred pounds more than an AJ30, but it will have the same power and won't fit as well.

I wish there was a decent RWD Japanese Turbo V6. The Mitsubishi models were all transverse, and I've heard not-great things about the VG30DETT.

Holy poo poo you are right about W58's. It's been a while since I've looked at prices on them, looks like the price has gone through the roof. I could have swore they used to be a couple hundred dollars max. I guess the supply of nonturbo MKIII supra parts cars had to dry up at some point.

What about a VQ35? You might have to buy the engine and trans separate but you can definitely find them very cheap if you're patient over here. All aluminum v6, great power, cheap parts.

Did you guys get any of the crazy Nissan Y33/Y34 models with the VQ25DET/30DET/whatever? Only other rwd japanese turbo v6 I can think of, probably too obscure to be cheaper than the SR20 option though.

moloo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 6, 2016

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Complete-Engines-/33615/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=vq35+engine

More expensive than a 2JZ-GTE :stare:. More than a LS1 might be. Which is surprising.

Holy Christ, they are a third the price of a 2jz-gte or LS1 here. Just searching my local craigslist shows a low km JDM VQ35de for $1000 and a 6spd trans for $500. That's £1061. Sometimes you'll even see a VQ35+6spd+everything out of a wrecked car for decently cheaper than that too.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Right. From what I've read (I've not looked at it in detail on my own car), when you change out the engine and ECU, you lose the power steering. Perhaps the ECU also controls the power steering, or maybe the power steering computer waits for an "I'm running" signal before it will enable.

The solution to this is to run a MX5 or RX7 hydraulic rack, using the PS pump from your new engine. But where's the fun in that?

I've kind of always been fascinated by the electric power steering in the rx8. There's a lot in those cars that adjust to speed from the torque in PS to the radio volume.

This dude is has a pretty well documented electric rx8 conversion: http://www.ev-guide.com/rx8-build-blog/. I would hit him up.

A brief section on retaining the electric power steering and at least two different sections of the CAN layout. Just getting the electric power steering to turn on doesn't seem too bad, you could even just play around with it until you find a static torque setting in the PS that isn't a bad compromise for low/high speed.

• Locked thread