Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

No, that looks like a fairly standard alarm installation job. At least as far as all the ones I've ever seen. Some people need to be hung by their toenails and whipped with 12 gauge wire until they bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

The work they did was pretty cool. It looks as though they did a complete replacement including controllers for the fan and vent motors, along with their own display. They only seemed to re-use the front panel.

It would be a lot harder for me as to retain the touch functionality (actually a matrix of LEDs and photodiodes) system does not exist in any modern devices - trying to convert the output from that panel would be very difficult. A conventional touch monitor would not work as the plastic front 'glass' on the EMV units would get in the way. There is very little clearance around this to mount a monitor flush to the front panel. The actual LCD sits about 5mm behind the plastic. The only solution would be a non-touch LCD with an external touch panel.

Regardless, I love the quirky old late-80's LCD, even if it is not as functional as a modern system, it is certainly more impressive. I run a dateless license plate on my car, and so far no passenger has even come close to guessing the cars age after seeing the tech inside.

As for irreplaceable parts, the entire suspension (pump, struts, valve body, computer, G sensors, gyroscope (actually a vibrating pendulum), front and rear lower control arms) and steering (front steering rack, front slave rack, cable system, rear steering rack, rear hubs, computer, yaw rate sensor, pump, steering column with integrated steering angle sensor) system is unique to the 872 UZZ32s.

As is the alternator, AC compressor, timing cover, oil filter mount on the engine. The longblock is the same as other 1UZFE motors, with one less stud near the oil filter. Replacement engines can be fitted provided that this stud is removed, although the complete front end will need to be swapped over. The ECU is unique to the UZZ32 as it communicates to other systems, but you can mount a UZZ30 or 31 motor to a '32 ECU and vise versa, depending on the chassis. LS400 motors would need a Soarer loom, as the wiring is different at the ECU end (4 plugs on the LS400 instead of 3 on the UZZ3x). Soarers do not have EGR, so the upper intake manifold would need to be retained (trivial) if an LS400 motor is used to replace a broken UZZ32 motor (rare, 1UZs are pretty unkillable).

The display binnacle, rear subframe, washer bottle, PS fluid reservoir are unique to the UZZ32.

The EMV, sonic mirrors, reversing camera, hydroboost ABS brakes are all options on the UZZ31, but standard on the UZZ32. This makes them easier to find.

gently caress.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I pulled the gauge cluster from the RX8 - which was easier than I thought as someone had ham-fisted the thing out in the past, breaking all of the screw mounts in the process, and broken (literally) it open so that they coudl cover the CEL and Oil Pressure lights with black tape.

I can understand wanting to cover the CEL, but why on earth would anybody want to cover the oil pressure light? Trying to foist it off onto some poor sod?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I'm going to be in various cities throught July-September. Specifically:

July: Cleveland, Washington, Philadelphia
August: E. Rutherford, Boston, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami
September: Arlington, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Clara

I can't discuss my work this time, unfortunately. But if anyone is around, I'll hopefully have some time off to say hi!

Christ that looks ridiculous. $4k is surely worth it for the engine alone? Someone please buy this thing and finish it off. I'll happily share all my knowledge about these cars to make it happen!

Get in touch with me when you're in Santa Clara in September and we'll see if we can't work out going flying

• Locked thread