Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, I think I'm the only guy lovingly restoring and modifying a stock '92 Civic tape deck; there's no way the core audience is going to put in more effort than a recap job for a Soarer.

Got any tips on how to unfuck my Protege's tape deck? I think the head must be hella dirty because the radio works but I get almost no sound out of a cassette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So basically just use some alcohol and a Q tip a scrub the head? Cuz all i need it for is my aux/tape adapter and my one Duran Duran Rio cassette :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That motor has got to weigh a good amount more than the Renesis, so there goes that sweet 50/50 balance.

Still surprised it fits though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Eh, I dunno if I'd want to bid on that thing. I'd wait to see if the winning bidder even buys it, then if not contact the seller and low ball them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not sure if you mentioned it already, but how much would it cost to source an LS? You can still get one there right? Given your other options it sounds like it would be worth the extra coin over a Ford 3.0 which IIRC have a horrible timing chain design that likes to poo poo itself. Just ask Kastein about them, unless I'm thinking of a different motor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Couldn't you save money by having a goon just ship you one or something so you don't have to pay taxes? Hell, have someone ship you a truck motor from the US and save even more money.

IDK, just throwing poo poo out there, it would be a shame to put a V6 in that thing when a V8 would fit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Double posting on my phone....

Any packages received from overseas, even personal mail, are checked by customs. If you send me an engine as a "gift", I will get taxed on its value in the UK. Sad face.

Sad face indeed :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat, nice GS. Looked at a few of those but they were still a bit out of my price range so we got the LS instead. Not complaining though, these cars are awesome. I'm seriously thinking about replacing the Camry with a RX300 and turning it into an urban assault CUV :v:

Although I've read that the V6's in the RX300 have sludge issues, is that accurate?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Welp so much for those, not worth the risk.

I was looking into newer, low mileage Scion XB's as well so probably gonna go that route.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bibendum posted:

I'm about to buy one for the family, watch out for the 08-09's with the oil consumption issues.

Ah gently caress. Is it a problem that Scion has confirmed? If you have any good links to the info that would be great, otherwise I'll just do some searching

It seems like every model has some sort of quirk to avoid at one point or another over it's production and trying to avoid buying the year/generation with that one nagging issue is a PITA. Glad I know about this one now.

[edit] After a bit of researching I thought it was odd that the problem only exists in the first couple of years of the XB2, even though it continues to use the same motor through all years of the model (2AZ-FE) and sure enough, there are still issue in later years cropping up. Probably due to the later years going up in mileage I would imagine.

So gently caress that, not taking a risk on getting a motor that's going to start consuming a quart of oil ever 1k miles. I'm just going to get a manual Honda Accord I guess :smith:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 10, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

From what I've read it doesn't matter, cars that had been regularly maintained at the dealer still had problems and required engine replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Hang on, why would your insurance need to pay out for the fire? Wouldn't that be the structure owner's liability?

Yeah, I imagine there might be some sort of class action suit from all the vehicle owners, if so jump on that poo poo and maybe you will eventually get fully compensated for everything.

I bet there were a lot of people happy from getting out of their car loans though :v:

• Locked thread