Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I do seem to remember some earlier SC400s being able to be converted to manual, but it took a lot of electronics wizardry (and possibly living with a CEL forever). Their ECUs around that time also suffered from the same leaking capacitor issue that plagued many electronics from the mid 90s up until fairly recently.

Friend had a SC400 that he wound up having to scrap because just about every module in the car was failing due to that capacitor issue. :smith: It would have cost too much to repair/replace all of the modules. The car was rough to begin with, so it wasn't a massive loss, but he hated parting with it.

They really are beautiful cars; I'm not usually found of the bubble shape that a lot of 90s cars had, but Toyota nailed it with the SC/Soarer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

The touchscreen is not a true touchscreen - I guess the technology didn't exist in the late 80's. It's an array of infra-red LEDs and opposing photodiodes positioned just in front of the polarised plastic which forms the face of the unit, and through some software trickery, it can use the combination of broken light paths to place your finger on a 11x9 matrix. Can't be beat for reliability, though!

GM did something similar, except with an actual CRT, on some Buicks in the late 80s. I believe it was the Reatta and Riviera.

It was actually pretty neat, though parts for them are very hard to come by today.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The touch screens used by Pizza Hut on their point of sale systems are pretty similar. Some ancient monitors from 3M, IIRC.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of copper. :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: :doh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 11, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it's the 1MZ-FE, yeah, they are sludge prone in the top end. Something about the head design prevents oil from draining fully from the heads.

You have to be religious about oil changes on them, but you can pull one of the valve covers and look.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Is the sludging thing avoidable with synthetic oil and frequent changes?

I'm curious because the early versions of my car's engine were prone to similar things, mostly due to a badly designed PCV system and Saab saying in the manual that part-synthetic oil was okay. It wasn't.

Valve covers haven't been off in a long time, but last time they were off, there were no signs of sludge on mom's 1MZ-FE (2003 Avalon). She bought it new, and it's had religious 5k oil changes with Mobil 1 for its entire life. Owners manual suggests 5k oil changes, but mentions nothing of synthetic (just says to use 5W30 API SL oil).

Only issues that engine has are oil leaks and a slight top end tick at idle (but it's been ticking since around 80k or so, it has 150k now - hasn't gotten any worse in that time).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No fuel in the cylinder when the spark plug goes off = not a drat thing happens.

GM ran wasted spark setups on their V6s for ages, including on the 3800, even with the supercharger.

If you run into ignition issues, how hard would it be to convert to Yaris/Corolla coils? They have a pretty short dwell time, and I would think they'd be easy to find locally.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 5, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't think he's going to find many Ford mod motors where he's at. :v: Finding the Mazda 3.0 would probably not be terribly difficult, but that's probably going to go right back to square one where he may be dealing with the coils not being able to keep up with the waste spark configuration.

The Denso coils used on the Yaris and Corolla have a very low dwell time - around 2.5ms @ 14V.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 5, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wikipedia posted:

The 2GR-FSE is a 3.5L engine used in the Lexus IS, GS 350, Mark X and Crown incorporate Toyota's latest D-4S twin injection fuel system. This system combines direct injection (949cc/min injectors) with traditional port injection (298cc/min injectors).

The 2GR-FSE engine is rated at 309 PS (227 kW; 305 hp) at 6,400 RPM and 38.4 kg·m (377 N·m; 278 lb·ft) at 4,800 RPM.

The engine's service weight is 174 kg.

:stare:

That's... loving impressive.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So uh, what's it like doing spark plugs on the firewall side in that? Or a valve cover gasket?

:shepicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I'm also looking for dimensions on Tesla Model S drive units, info on these is vague, the best I can find is that it's 31 inches long, which means it would fit in an FD if mounted upside down in front of the rear axle, to occupy the space currently used by the rear seats.

If you're still considering this, this is who you need to talk to. Dude rebuilt a flood damaged (as in half submerged in salt water) Tesla from the ground up from various other Teslas, and I think he even managed to get it re-certified by Tesla (which is a massive PITA). Basically the only things original to the car are the chassis, wheels, and mayyyybe the communicator stuff.

e: his net cost (after buying a few other salvage cars for parts, then parting out what he didn't need) wound up being less than $10k, IIRC.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 22, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, his initial outlay was still 5 figures, and I think he bought a second parts car, but he made most of the money back by selling off the damaged parts (or parts he didn't need from the parts car).

I don't get why he went through with fixing it with everything it needed - I would have considered it a parts car only, and even then, only for body and suspension stuff. Had it been freshwater I wouldn't have had any qualms about reusing wiring, but it was sitting in saltwater.

That's too bad that flood damaged cars there have to be crushed whole - a lot of cars here wind up written off as flood damage just from the engine sucking up water. Like this douche, who managed to write off a brand new AMG with 3500 miles by hydrolocking the engine. The only damage was to the engine, nothing else, but a new AMG engine turned out to be $70k+. It got auctioned off, and I'm sure someone is throwing a used engine in it (or they have connections to get a brand new engine). Older cars will get written off just from the carpet getting a bit wet.

When I replaced the transmission on my old car, I was told it came out of a 98. Nissan stamped the VIN on the trans, and while it did come out of a 98 at the junkyard (saw the car myself), it turned out it'd been replaced at some point with one from an 01 that was written off for flood damage with ~40k on it (got bored and ran a carfax on the VIN that was on the gearbox). Transaxle was fine by the time I got it, and didn't look like it'd been opened up. I'd bet the 01 it originally came out of ran fine, just got written off because it got water in the interior.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 23, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even regular vehicles have higher resolution trigger wheels than in years past. My NB had four teeth on the crank trigger, my LS1 has 24, later LS engines have 58...

I read something awhile back saying GM was trying to move to 58 tooth on everything, along with standardizing everything possible between engine families (i.e. same sensors for drat near everything, same E37 ECU for everything, etc).

I know the L61 in my car moved to a 58 for the 2007 model year (mine is 6+1). I'm perfectly fine with this kind of parts binning, makes parts so much cheaper since they're standardizing parts across hundreds of different models. I know a lot of sensors and evap parts on my car work on a ton of different GMs, despite being that weird 05-06 zone where they were still halfway transitioned to a new standard. Downside is people get burned when they think a 2008 Cobalt L61 will work fine in their 2002 Cavalier.... when only the longblock is similar (not identical).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 26, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How... how did a parking garage have a fire bad enough for every single car in it to get destroyed? :stare: I can see a single floor getting wiped out, but.... wow.

Between that and the Greenfell Tower fire, it seems like England still loves Lucas a little too much. :smith:

(sorry about your car... that's loving terrible, but at least nobody got hurt, right?)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

After all that heat, I wouldn't think the structure would be trustworthy enough to walk around in the park, would it?

Would your home or tenant insurance cover possessions inside the car? Mine does, never did figure out why it works that way, but it does.

Some of those cars on the top level look unscathed, they have any plans to try to retrieve those? Or is it just too dangerous to try and get them?

ITV posted:

The aftermath of the blaze, caused by a Land Rover bursting in flames, was captured by photographs from Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service, showing a number of burnt-out vehicles.

LUCAS :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Hang on, why would your insurance need to pay out for the fire? Wouldn't that be the structure owner's liability?

Well, it was a parked car that started the fire...

I would think going through your own insurance and letting them sort everything out is the fastest way to get people back into vehicles that are more than a charred shell. Then the insurance will probably go after the owner of the Land Rover that sparked the whole thing, the building owners, the building engineers, whoever decided to skip fire sprinklers, etc etc etc.

I'm still amazed that one car going up in flames took out an entire parking structure. You hear about a car fire in a parking garage here and it's usually just a handful of cars damaged.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

September: Arlington, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Clara

Arlington is currently about 45 minutes away, though I'm moving to Austin a bit before you'll be here. Still, I'll be back up this way pretty frequently (family and friends up here), and Houston is only a 2.5 hour drive. I don't know Houston worth a drat, but I know plenty of good taco places around Arlington. Shoot me a PM when you're in TX if you want tacos + lovely American beer.

I think Darchangel is about 20-30 minutes from Arlington?

• Locked thread