Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Around the time Apollo 13 came out there were interviews with the actual astronauts, and I think Lovell said that they were never really thinking about how screwed they were, that it was just "okay now we have to do this, next we need to do that." It was only after they were safe on the ground that it hit them how close they came to dying out there.

Even that film played up some interpersonal conflict for dramatic purposes (and Gravity had the device of the protagonist not being a seasoned astronaut), so I'm impressed that this movie captured that crisis mindset without ever feeling too sterile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jago posted:

Did no one else notice that in the whole movie Mars gravity is basically shown as 1 G? Best example is when they show on earth the drilling of the holes in the rover with the guy jumping on it and falling through, followed by Watney doing the exact same thing. Obviously he would need more holes in the top of his rover to make it fall by stomping it. I also feel like anything that was dropped or thrown or what have you hit the ground with an earth like acceleration.

Didn't bother me much, but I definitely noticed.

In fairness, I was thinking about this reading Red Mars and that poo poo would be HELLA expensive to film. Every time someone moves, or kicks up a clod of dust, or throws a rock, it would have to somehow fall differently than it does on Earth. You can't do it for real because we don't have a lot of methods of simulating low gravity (basically, going underwater, or the "vomit comet".) You'd basically need a lot of CGI particle stuff which is hard to make convincing (see how CGI squibs never quite look right), and you'd be doing it in shot after shot.

• Locked thread