Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006

Psawhn posted:

I rationalize that in my head as imagining he left his USB with his own music/TV on Hermes. Because they were only going to be on Mars for only a month and they'd be busy with surface ops he could go without it, and he didn't want to risk leaving it on the surface and going the whole 6 month-long voyage back missing it all.

Would have been cool if the Hermes crew were also going through his poo poo for a while until they found out he was alive and giving him poo poo about what he brought later with those text messages.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not a botanist (I eventually wanna grow plants, but I don't have the time right now), so I have question about something I don't understand. Maybe the book described it better.

I get using poop as fertilizer, but on earth that just improves the quality of the soil the plants are growing in, they are still using the nutrients already found in the soil. Using martian soil would be a net-zero (actually, I've heard the soil is toxically salty but I'll ignore that for now). Is Watney growing his pootatoes (:v:) purely from his feces? Or is the Mars soil barely good enough to grow in, but the feces pushes it over the edge to Actually Okay To Grow Stuff On?

Poop adds more than just the three base elements for plant growth, it'll also bring hopefully beneficial microbes for plant growth.

Check out the veg experiments that've already been done on ISS, certain plants really do need certain microbes to help them grow fast similarly to how humans need certain bacteria to be healthy, remove E. coli from the human gut and we'd probably die just like certain plants would without nitrogen fixers at the root level.

NASA right now is doing plant growth and toxicity tests on the ISS, one of the philosophies behind how they do it kinda blew my mind and it's because it's all about bringing the entire ecosystem up with them and only really caring about weight/efficiency. So grow plants in some light weight/low surface area medium/nutrient rich material like a calcinated clay, test for how bad the poisons are and then eat that poo poo. Veg-03 just happened where astronauts on the ISS ate lettuce(I think?) that was grown on the ISS and had a lot of unknown variables attached but was built on knowns, yay for holistic science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah, the plans exist and are in progress, are fairly easily achievable, and honestly don't cost that much as federal programs go.

It's absolutely not going to happen. Without the spectre of the cold war big NASA projects and grand government spaceflight schemes are just incompatible with the cycle of government.

It's still probably not the best bang for your buck science wise, so many other missions would need to be sidelined just to send dudes to Mars that I doubt it's worth it to start budgeting for it just yet.

Woden
May 6, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Hell, the military space program is four times that of NASA's full budget. And that's not counting the intelligence agency programs. NASA's gonna be sending up two more space telescopes eventually made out of spysats that the NRO just happened to have lying around in a bucket somewhere and never got around to using and went 'ah well they're so old they're no use to us', pulled the instruments out, and gave to NASA on a whim instead of trashing. And for NASA that was a holy poo poo jaw-dropping thing they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

Those sats are pretty much the same poo poo as Hubble, I mean it'd be cool to have a few more Hubbles up there so more scientists can get access to that sort of tool but they're not really some new uber thing. They also weren't lying around in a bucket and were costing a lot of money to store, makes more sense that they off loaded them to NASA so they'd fit the bill for storing some legacy equipment than admit they'd totally hosed up on procurement I guess.

Woden
May 6, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its no wonder she's not on the next mission. Fired.

None of them should be flying again after this mission, the amount of rads they take doing the planetary assist would be more than whatever NASA allow.

• Locked thread