Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m the opposite. I’ve been on the steam launcher forever and never had a crash that I can think of.

Same. I've got it installed on two PC's via Steam and have never had a single issue, except for a dumb payment problem via Steam after the new in-game store launched, but that was quickly resolved by support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
How much of Corsairs is "reworked landscape area you've already done" versus the actual new landscape? Is it 50/50 at least?

The fact that it wasn't a whole new area was a big turnoff for me. Makes me worried their profits are way down or something.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

xZAOx posted:

How much of Corsairs is "reworked landscape area you've already done" versus the actual new landscape? Is it 50/50 at least?

The fact that it wasn't a whole new area was a big turnoff for me. Makes me worried their profits are way down or something.
The story quests from 141-144 are in a reworked zone (King's Gondor after the battle of the black gate), then 145-150 are in the new areas.

So yeah about 50/50 I guess? :D

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

fenix down posted:

The story quests from 141-144 are in a reworked zone (King's Gondor after the battle of the black gate), then 145-150 are in the new areas.

So yeah about 50/50 I guess? :D

Well, Outer Gondor is brand new too. So I'd say only 140-142 are the reworked areas.

It's really an astonishing amount of content, I'm probably 20 hours in and I'm mid-145 and just about to leave Gondor. In terms of dollars per hour $40 for the expansion is seeming absolutely worth it.

Some excellent writing so far, continuing the trend in the game that dates back to at least Dunland but really picked up post-Mordor of humanizing the "evil races" of men. And I've already spotted two entirely appropriate and respectful but quite pointed depictions of same-sex relationships that would be sure to piss off the Deus Vult crowd among the playerbase, except I doubt they had the reading comprehension to notice. The representative of the Tolkien estate who has to review all their planned content and storylines for appropriateness to the mythology must have an absolutely fascinating job.

And of course the world design and soundtrack are excellent as always.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 21, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
There was a same-sex couple in Before the Shadow as well (in the Lhan Garan quest line).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hi goons - I'm in a Middle-Earth kind of mood right now and contemplating trying LotRO out, but the F2P-ness is confusing me. Is there a way I can just Buy The Game (i.e. throw $60 at it and get everything except the latest expansion, like you can with other MMOs)? Or do I have to get Mordor + Minas Morgul + Three Peaks + Gundabad + Before the Shadow separately?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
its FTP until level 95 which will probably take you months to reach. then yeah you need to buy the expansions to continue on. you can buy these expansions with LOTRO points or they do go on sale sometimes and you can pick them up for cheap. You missed an anniversary event last year which gave most of the expansions for free to subscribers

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

You missed an anniversary event last year which gave most of the expansions for free to subscribers

Thanks for the answer - :rip: my timing, I guess.

I'm fine with getting the expansions individually as-needed since they seem to all be 60% off right now - just wanted to make sure there wasn't an obvious gotcha with the way they're packaged on the store.

I guess the next question is whether or not there's any point in buying them to unlock new classes etc. if I'm probably not going to subscribe (since I'm just dipping my toe in), though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 22, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
its definitely recommend to at least subscribe for 1 month to unlock a bunch of useful stuff for your account, but yeah maybe after trying it out for a bit.

if you're brand new I would recommend starting with a hunter to get the hang of the game and have fast travel abilities so you can explore

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

As someone who did exactly what you did, buy 1 month and cancel your sub immediately. Buy any other expansions as you need them, frankly the game is fun as hell but it's also not something you're going to main for months solid and rush the plot. You'll likely have plenty of time to grab things on sale here and there.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Before the Shadow is great if you’ve ran the starter zones a hundred times like some people have, but new players won’t have that issues haha.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
There's a Black Friday sale going on til the 27th. It has 85% off Minas Morgul, 60% off War of Three Peaks, and 25% off Fate of Gundabad, though these sales on on the main site's store, but 20 bucks for the super-collector-everything version of Minas Morgul ain't bad. :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

its definitely recommend to at least subscribe for 1 month to unlock a bunch of useful stuff for your account, but yeah maybe after trying it out for a bit.

Cyrano4747 posted:

As someone who did exactly what you did, buy 1 month and cancel your sub immediately. Buy any other expansions as you need them, frankly the game is fun as hell but it's also not something you're going to main for months solid and rush the plot. You'll likely have plenty of time to grab things on sale here and there.

Cool, thank you for the suggestion! I've gone ahead and grabbed a month of sub time since I don't mind throwing a few bucks at the game.

Rolled a dwarf Guardian, since I didn't particularly like the idea of playing ranged DPS (even knowing about the Hunter travel skills). :)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 23, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Cool, thank you for the suggestion! I've gone ahead and grabbed a month of sub time since I don't mind throwing a few bucks at the game.

Rolled a dwarf Guardian, since I didn't particularly like the idea of playing ranged DPS (even knowing about the Hunter travel skills). :)

My advice? Reroll a champion. Guardian is absolutely doable solo but champ is going to be significantly faster and just feel better.

I say this as someone who played a guardian to about half way through Moria and then rerolled a guardian after coming back and who is way past that now.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's worth noting that guardian got a rework this past August-ish, and its red DPS spec is currently quite good.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
What's the state of relic weapons these days? I've got some time to kill between FF14 patches, but I remember the last time I thought about jumping back into this, they had just done a massive overhaul of weapons. I logged in, took one look at the giant mess of a system, and said "gently caress off".

IIRC, you had to go back to Elrond's house to level anything up, which was a kick in the teeth for a game where fast travel is as much of a pain as it is here.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

What's the state of relic weapons these days? I've got some time to kill between FF14 patches, but I remember the last time I thought about jumping back into this, they had just done a massive overhaul of weapons. I logged in, took one look at the giant mess of a system, and said "gently caress off".

IIRC, you had to go back to Elrond's house to level anything up, which was a kick in the teeth for a game where fast travel is as much of a pain as it is here.

it's a lot simpler now basically. (they're legendaries not relics btw, if you ask about relic weapons in world chat you'll get mostly confused reactions from people who don't play FF14)

you take them to a forge NPC every 5 levels to raise its level which increases its DPS. then you can slot in "traceries" (just like you slot in essences in other gear) that give bonuses to a particular skill or just damage in general. you can buy those traceries from a room in elrond's house or sometimes they will be given as quest rewards or from the reward track. the reward track is where legendary XP is applied now, hit shift-I (I think) to see it and you can get lots of stuff, mostly for your legendary weapons but some other stuff as well like horses and housing gear. you can increase the bonuses you get from traceries by dropping runes on them. they have a cap which means every so often you need to upgrade traceries.

unlike the old legendary weapon system there is zero need to spend money on these to get out of grinding which is a huge improvement.

more details: https://lotro-wiki.com/wiki/Legendary_Item

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cyrano4747 posted:

My advice? Reroll a champion. Guardian is absolutely doable solo but champ is going to be significantly faster and just feel better.

I say this as someone who played a guardian to about half way through Moria and then rerolled a guardian after coming back and who is way past that now.

when did you do it? my guardian tore poo poo up when i played it relatively recently.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tabletops posted:

when did you do it? my guardian tore poo poo up when i played it relatively recently.

Quite a while ago and it sounds like they reworked it recently. Wasn’t aware of that.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Just poking around on this again and I watched a video that suggested getting Hurried Traveller and Returning Traveller but I cannot find them in the store either in search or just browsing through. Is it because I am only level 3 or something?

edit: yeah I can see them now I levelled enough to get the milestone skill. Weird that they only show up then but whatev

Rapacity fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 26, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I didn't realize that part of the store was even available at level 3. I thought it was severely limited during the tutorial levels and only had account stuff like the races/classes/expansions, premium wallet, etc due to how limited you are until you finish your race's intro.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-letter-to-the-players-2024-en

What!? Another hobby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

whoa they're DOUBLING the amount of hobbies in the game