Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Annath posted:

So this game has mods/plugins.

Coming from WoW, mods were, while not mandatory, very very useful for all levels of play, and most guilds required at least some for endgame content.

Are there any mods that would be recommended for a new player starting out?

Generally speaking, know that 'modding' within LotRO is insanely limited. They barely allow any access to the game through LUA, so the vast majority of plugins sit on top of the existing UI rather than replace them outright. The only thing that can be 'replaced' is the UI skin, which is mostly just basic palette swaps with minor flair, not functional layout changes.

A number of plugins are useful specifically because they bring outside text/resources into the game's UI as 'lookup' tools, so you can check where a quest objective is, look up how to make a thing, etc. But if you're coming from WoW, XIV, etc, definitely lower your expectations for what you're gonna see here. Also of note, a lot of plugins haven't been updated for years. Doesn't mean they don't work, just know that the community is relatively small so there are various plugins that may or may not actually function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Get the JRR Skins Collection, it’s a bunch of themes that makes the UI more bearable to look at than the horrendous blue default design.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Who does Elrond's voice in this game?!

Its maddeningly familiar, but I can't place it, and IMDB is no help - most of the cast isn't listed/listed as "additional voices".

ChatGPT thinks its John Rhyss-Davies which is hilarious and also definitely not it.

(at least not in the tutorial quest which is what I'm referring to).

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Supposedly it's Harry Chase and I think I believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxqCW0hNrlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isj6x4iAnvs

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Hmm... I don't hear it tbh. He sounds too old to be doing Elrond in the tutorial.

Also, I don't know if something is broken or what, but I started the tutorial, but had to log out, and when I logged back in I was back at the beginning?

Then I played through it again, until I got to Rivendell and got the message I was no longer level scaled, and figured surely it was OK to log out, and nope, back at the beginning of the mordor battle thing :shepicide:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Comrade Koba posted:

Get the JRR Skins Collection, it’s a bunch of themes that makes the UI more bearable to look at than the horrendous blue default design.

Thanks for reminding me to check this out. Some nice themes in there. Ended up settling for the gray standard translucent one, but the shire theme was pretty amazing.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Annath posted:

Also, I don't know if something is broken or what, but I started the tutorial, but had to log out, and when I logged back in I was back at the beginning?

Then I played through it again, until I got to Rivendell and got the message I was no longer level scaled, and figured surely it was OK to log out, and nope, back at the beginning of the mordor battle thing :shepicide:

Yeah, that sucks but unfortunately isn’t a bug. I did the exact same thing on my high elf. I think it’s due to the intro being set in an instance tied to your character, which for some reason isn’t saved when you log off. You need to complete the whole thing until you get teleported to Ered Luin (the elven starting zone).

Which server are you playing on? There’s a goon kinship (guild) on Landroval that’s not very active but a bunch of us still log on regularly.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Comrade Koba posted:

Yeah, that sucks but unfortunately isn’t a bug. I did the exact same thing on my high elf. I think it’s due to the intro being set in an instance tied to your character, which for some reason isn’t saved when you log off. You need to complete the whole thing until you get teleported to Ered Luin (the elven starting zone).

Which server are you playing on? There’s a goon kinship (guild) on Landroval that’s not very active but a bunch of us still log on regularly.

I'm on Landroval.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I am also levelling a character on Landroval and have been invited to Nazgun. People mostly play this game solo but if there's any chance for me to help with little 3-person quests or instances it would also be cool to play together sometimes!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Sounds good! I'm busy tonight, but I might log on for a bit to at least get past the dumb tutorial lmao.

I'll be on more Wednesday though.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Started my regular scheduled autumn return to LOTRO - I'm playing on Landro mainly as Osrandir, my created-in-beta-but-still-hopeless-level-8x during EU evenings. Are there any new must-haves, that makes sense for me to buy/wait-for-sale for? There's usually a catch-up bundle for $20 that's worked out quite nicely for me before.

Current datadump:

Signup Date
4/20/2007
Game Version History
Lord of the Rings Online™ Beta
Shadows of Angmar™ Guest
Shadows of Angmar™ Open Beta
Shadows of Angmar™ Pre-order
Shadows of Angmar™ Trial
Rise of Isengard™
Mines of Moria™ Standard
Siege of Mirkwood™
Mithril Edition
Riders of Rohan™

Lars fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 27, 2023

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Lars posted:

Started my regular scheduled autumn return to LOTRO - I'm playing on Landro mainly as Osrandir, my created-in-beta-but-still-hopeless-level-8x during EU evenings. Are there any new must-haves, that makes sense for me to buy/wait-for-sale for? There's usually a catch-up bundle for $20 that's worked out quite nicely for me before.

Current datadump:

Signup Date
4/20/2007
Game Version History
Lord of the Rings Online™ Beta
Shadows of Angmar™ Guest
Shadows of Angmar™ Open Beta
Shadows of Angmar™ Pre-order
Shadows of Angmar™ Trial
Rise of Isengard™
Mines of Moria™ Standard
Siege of Mirkwood™
Mithril Edition
Riders of Rohan™

From last page

Mr. Pickles posted:

Nowadays a F2P account unlocks a crapton of content for you as well as some expansions, but I suggest you get at least 1 month of VIP sub. Once you pay 1 month of VIP your account will automatically upgrade from F2P to Premium account, meaning that some of the QoL upgrades of VIP will stay with your account forever, even if you cancel your subscription

Expansions up to and including Helms Deep are Free for all since 2022. This means you can reach lvl 95 with a free/VIP account without needing to purchase any expansions or anything. That is 100s of hours of content to go through. If you actually complete all that you will be committed to the game enough to begin purchasing Xpacs and work your way up to current cap (140).

To be more clear, the free Xpacs everyone gets are:
Mines of Moria
Siege of Mirkwood
Rise of Isengard
Riders of Rohan
Helms Deep

This page explains it all:
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Type

This is actually true. You don't even need VIP sub! I choose to pay the sub because
1)I am addicted to the QoL (VIP members can access mailbox, vault and shop services from anywhere, they also get more inv space and shared wardrobe space to dress their characters)
2)It unlocks all quests in all areas. Without VIP you will run into paywalled quests which will prompt you to spend coins to accept (you dont actually have to do these quests). This will not happen on a VIP account.
3)VIP status nets you 500 store coins per month, with which you can purchase expansions when you need them (protip: Xpacs go on sale regularly so you can snag them cheap). So you get to enjoy the added QoL while also working towards eventually getting these expansions required for progress.
4)I want to support the game, its a great game.

I do feel somewhat cheated out of my money for having purchased all these xpacs and paid QoL updates over the years which are now free to all, but what can you do.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Oh, neat! Totally missed that post - that's great!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lars posted:

Started my regular scheduled autumn return to LOTRO -

Lol glad I'm not the only one. Something about October starting just makes me slide right back in.

Leaves turning, Starbucks selling pumpkin lattes, time to go back to middle earth and finally finish Rohan.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
After not playing this for literally over a decade, I was getting the itch to see the 50 different expansions I never did and try out Brawler. How is the new player experience currently? Mostly wondering if you just level through zones normally or there's just a fast track that yeets you to certain level caps.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PrinnySquad posted:

After not playing this for literally over a decade, I was getting the itch to see the 50 different expansions I never did and try out Brawler. How is the new player experience currently? Mostly wondering if you just level through zones normally or there's just a fast track that yeets you to certain level caps.

There’s paid level boosts that take you to certain levels, I think they’re available for level 50, 95, 105, 120 and 130.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Let's play Lord of the Rings Online together

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm going to play this afternoon when I get home from work.

I will make sure to actually complete the tutorial before I log off :v:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Comrade Koba posted:

There’s paid level boosts that take you to certain levels, I think they’re available for level 50, 95, 105, 120 and 130.
Pretty sure if you purchase some of the expansions, you get gifted some of those items. That being said - you will be launched into a world that can be extremely daunting - like all the various mechanics, customizations and skills are just thrown at you at the same time with no explanation.

My favorite content is level 1-65, and the XP flows freely, so you will outlevel zones faster than you can finish them (unless you're using the tortoise pendant that stops you from gaining XP).

Many folks feel that the game starts to slow down and get repetitive in the 75-100 range, so in my opinion, that would be the time to use an auto-level item if you're going to.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
At this point, I think part of the reason I keep starting over is because I love hanging out in the Shire just that much. And with Yondershire, that really only goes up through lvl 23.

If there’s ever a new LotR MMO, here’s to hoping they expand that range considerably.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

fenix down posted:

Pretty sure if you purchase some of the expansions, you get gifted some of those items.

I don’t think so. I’ve bought all the expansions and the only boosts I’ve received were the ones given out for free to everyone at the 15-year anniversary event. It’s possible they’re included in the more expensive collectors edition tier, I only bought the basic editions.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Stagger_Lee posted:

Let's play Lord of the Rings Online together

Big if true.

Over the past year-ish I've played on again off again super casually on a solo red captain. Sitting at level 48 now with Angmar nearly done. Group stuff might get me interested in logging in more than occasionally.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I'm a level 45 Champion. I am up for whatever group stuff I can figure out how to do! I am only on "sometimes" because I have a job and I like to read books.

Also, I am very dumb. I spend a full hour last night trying to figure out how to walk to Eregion.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

I don’t think so. I’ve bought all the expansions and the only boosts I’ve received were the ones given out for free to everyone at the 15-year anniversary event. It’s possible they’re included in the more expensive collectors edition tier, I only bought the basic editions.

They are indeed in the more expensive packs. For every(?) expansion currently purchaseable on the website.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
I'm 86 on Osrandir now, will do group stuff even though it might mean I have to carry the day as a LM - the discord link is broken tho.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I wish the map was better. Even with the map mod suggested, the map is worse than vanilla wow :(

It's very hard to figure out where to go.

Is there a way to scale up the whole UI? Everything is pretty small on my 1440p monitor.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
If you're going to come back to LOTRO and replay with a new character, I would *strongly* recommend picking up Before the Shadow for $20. It's a new levelling path for levels 1-30 and the original new player zones haven't been updated in years.

https://www.lotro.com/expansions

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Lum_ posted:

If you're going to come back to LOTRO and replay with a new character, I would *strongly* recommend picking up Before the Shadow for $20. It's a new levelling path for levels 1-30 and the original new player zones haven't been updated in years.

Ah, I might do that. I just finished the tutorial, and I definitely felt the zone it dumped me into was... dated.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Annath posted:

Is there a way to scale up the whole UI? Everything is pretty small on my 1440p monitor.

Not very well, and that makes playing the game almost impossible in 4K, something like Lossless Scaling is a requirement.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/993090/Lossless_Scaling/

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Lars posted:

I'm 86 on Osrandir now, will do group stuff even though it might mean I have to carry the day as a LM - the discord link is broken tho.
Looks like it expires after 7 days:

https://discord.gg/6fpMe6tg

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I rolled a new character on Landroval to give the new starter zone a shot. It's really gorgeous. I'll see about getting an invite to Nazgun on my Burglar, Gearan. I joined the discord as well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Are the daily login rewards able to be mailed between characters on the same account?

IE: can I mail the ones from my character to a new one if I want to do the new starting area?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
as long as its "bound to account" you can move them at will

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think all the login rewards can go between same account characters. You can also use shared storage instead to make it easier than mailing. And to transfer money, but the sacks of coins from the vault keeper npc and pass that over to other character and have them sell the coins.

Most of the leveling up rewards are bound to character now though, unfortunately. Those used to be account-wide which was nice since some of them that you get really early are much better on a higher level character.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Lum_ posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely give this a go.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Man, the narrative dissonance between the book quests and sidequests is really amazing from time to time. :allears:

After infiltrating the occupied city of Osgiliath, I link up with the remains of the resistance led by the rangers of Gondor who have set up a base of operations in the city sewers. From there I wage a heroic one-woman guerilla war against the Morgul-host, sabotaging their siege weapons and freeing captive prisoners while slaying countless orcs and trolls in the process. At the same time I'm conducting a search of the ruined city to find the lost captain of the rangers, ending in a heroic assault on the Dome of Stars, where I battle through an army of evil spirits before reaching the roof of the building where I face down an actual Nazgűl in single combat - and win. My mission complete, I leave the city and ride for Minas Tirith at breakneck speed to inform the Council of Gondor. Having navigated the various tiers of the city I finally reach the top level, where I'm suddenly accosted by a civil servant who apparently needs my help with something.

My next quest? To clear away dirty plates from an empty feast hall. :negative:

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Comrade Koba posted:

You are the hero we've been waiting for! Now go kill 5 orcs, come back and we'll tell you to go kill 5 more.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Haha, the reward for doing good work is more work.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Man, the narrative dissonance between the book quests and sidequests is really amazing from time to time. :allears:

After infiltrating the occupied city of Osgiliath, I link up with the remains of the resistance led by the rangers of Gondor who have set up a base of operations in the city sewers. From there I wage a heroic one-woman guerilla war against the Morgul-host, sabotaging their siege weapons and freeing captive prisoners while slaying countless orcs and trolls in the process. At the same time I'm conducting a search of the ruined city to find the lost captain of the rangers, ending in a heroic assault on the Dome of Stars, where I battle through an army of evil spirits before reaching the roof of the building where I face down an actual Nazgűl in single combat - and win. My mission complete, I leave the city and ride for Minas Tirith at breakneck speed to inform the Council of Gondor. Having navigated the various tiers of the city I finally reach the top level, where I'm suddenly accosted by a civil servant who apparently needs my help with something.

That's some very immersive Faramir quest design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

fenix down posted:

Haha, the reward for doing good work is more work.

Now that's some realism