Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Several years back, before LotRO became FtP, I played the free month and loved the Shire and the dwarven starting zones. I have no idea about my account and if it's still functional and recoverable but before I even try:

How's the game for someone who'd just now started to play and probably played completely solo and never even reached max level? For comparison, I liked it a lot back then, although I wished I didn't outlevel relevant story quests so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Valiantman posted:

Several years back, before LotRO became FtP, I played the free month and loved the Shire and the dwarven starting zones. I have no idea about my account and if it's still functional and recoverable but before I even try:

How's the game for someone who'd just now started to play and probably played completely solo and never even reached max level? For comparison, I liked it a lot back then, although I wished I didn't outlevel relevant story quests so fast.

The good news is that if you played on the Turbine-owned North American servers, your *Premium* account is probably still around.

The bad news is that if you played on the Codemasters-owned European servers, your *Premium* account would be irretrievable at this point. The EU servers were brought back under Turbine control, and Codemasters customers were given a year or so to personally migrate their accounts over to Turbine's infrastructure. For legal reasons, there's nothing that can be done for anyone that missed that window. :(

Liking LotRO is determined largely by how much of a Tolkien fan you are. If you liked playing it then, than you'll probably still like it just as much now. From what I hear, only TSW(which I'm currently playing) and SWTOR do better story lines than LotRO does. It's a great game for relaxed solo play for anyone that actually enjoys reading quest text.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Brave New World posted:

The bad news is that if you played on the Codemasters-owned European servers, your *Premium* account would be irretrievable at this point. The EU servers were brought back under Turbine control, and Codemasters customers were given a year or so to personally migrate their accounts over to Turbine's infrastructure. For legal reasons, there's nothing that can be done for anyone that missed that window. :(

Damnit. Although running around Shire is likely still enjoyable, seeing that I recall basically nothing except the pie quest people praised on the previous page. :)

Are people running the below-max-level dungeons (or whatever they're called in LotRO) that require a fellowship or should I just expect to have to read their stories from wiki or something?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It really depends. As a kin I don't think we're by any means across the board level 100's. Most players have characters all across the board, and my personal goal is to get one to permanently stay at Moria level, since those are the best instances that haven't been scaled.

Even then once the server is more populated I'm sure you'll be able to find people at your level to run things with.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The game costs nothing until at least level 33, so don't let anything stop you from jumping back in if you really think you want to.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The Nazgun has 19 characters at level 100, some of those might be the same people. The level cap has been 100 for over a year now. That's just a taste of how inactive people have been.

I could be wrong, but I think Turbine said they have no plans to scale the Moria instances. That's a shame because it could get some people that haven't played in several years to return. Those are the best instances in the game by a pretty big margin. I'd guess that Landroval has people with level 60 characters that run around with XP disablers and run Moria stuff.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
There's a group called The Order of the Tortoise that does stuff like that. I have a 65 Guardian over there that's not moving on until he's completed all of Moria. He's a dwarf, so it's kinda his raison d'etre.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It really depends. As a kin I don't think we're by any means across the board level 100's. Most players have characters all across the board, and my personal goal is to get one to permanently stay at Moria level, since those are the best instances that haven't been scaled.

Even then once the server is more populated I'm sure you'll be able to find people at your level to run things with.

Did you run the raid content between Mirkwood and Rohan? I'm with you on Moria having very cool content, but I can't imagine nostalgia keeping me from the rest of the game. Ost Dunhoth had some really cool raids, I remember killing enemies in a hallway at a rapid speed to avoid being killed by oncoming trained oliphaunts as a way to get end game gear, which was pretty great and hard too. Draigoch was great at the time, haven't been back. And all of the Erebor content was really fun, that was Rohan era content but suddenly all just happened to be themed for the upcoming Hobbit movies, oddly enough while the decision was done for marketing the content was really fun anyway.

Also ruffz are you sure symbols are actually selling at 150, or just listed at 150? I went through 6 to get the axe I wanted, and even recently I've seen people still sell at 70-90g in world chat. If you can actually get 150 then sure people should sell them now and buy cheap later, but I've had people in world chat just give me those and refuse to let me pay because if you run end game content you loot them faster than new players are hitting level 100, there's always a slight surplus that increases the longer an expansion has been out. If you do get one from the epic line I haven't gotten it yet, I forget where I'm at but I think like book 3 chapter 6?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Brave New World posted:

There's a group called The Order of the Tortoise that does stuff like that. I have a 65 Guardian over there that's not moving on until he's completed all of Moria. He's a dwarf, so it's kinda his raison d'etre.

We definitely think alike, I've a got a dwarf champion with the same goal in mind.

extra stout posted:

Did you run the raid content between Mirkwood and Rohan? I'm with you on Moria having very cool content, but I can't imagine nostalgia keeping me from the rest of the game.

I mean have my level 100 and ideally I'd have players tortoise'd at the right levels do stuff like that, but that's one of those long-term plans of mine I'm not going to ever actually do like learning how to speed-read or write with my left hand.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

Did you run the raid content between Mirkwood and Rohan? I'm with you on Moria having very cool content, but I can't imagine nostalgia keeping me from the rest of the game. Ost Dunhoth had some really cool raids, I remember killing enemies in a hallway at a rapid speed to avoid being killed by oncoming trained oliphaunts as a way to get end game gear, which was pretty great and hard too. Draigoch was great at the time, haven't been back. And all of the Erebor content was really fun, that was Rohan era content but suddenly all just happened to be themed for the upcoming Hobbit movies, oddly enough while the decision was done for marketing the content was really fun anyway.

Also ruffz are you sure symbols are actually selling at 150, or just listed at 150? I went through 6 to get the axe I wanted, and even recently I've seen people still sell at 70-90g in world chat. If you can actually get 150 then sure people should sell them now and buy cheap later, but I've had people in world chat just give me those and refuse to let me pay because if you run end game content you loot them faster than new players are hitting level 100, there's always a slight surplus that increases the longer an expansion has been out. If you do get one from the epic line I haven't gotten it yet, I forget where I'm at but I think like book 3 chapter 6?

That's Ost Dunhoth - Wound Wing. One of my favorite LotRO memories.

I loved DG's main raid as well, even if I was never on a run that managed to take down the twins. I hope it wasn't my fault. :ohdear:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

They were listed at 150, and I don't usually gently caress around with the bid system that makes you wait a day or longer to get your poo poo. If they're easy to come by then I'll just start running instances once I'm done with all the solo content. In the past, the conclusion of part of the book quest line would reward you with a 2nd age symbol, I forgot and thought it gave 1st age symbols. I looked up the rewards for the Eastern Gondor book quests, and it doesn't appear that it gives you any symbols at all for completing it.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I'm interested in getting back into this. I played LoTRO for 3-4 months in 2013 as a VIP and it was some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. The Shire is great, sure, but I really like the Archet/Combe/Staddle/Bree area, one of the best starter areas I've ever had the pleasure to play in. The problem I'm facing is lack of content. I am currently level 33, having completed most of the North Downs and Lone Lands except for some of the group content. I own Mines of Moria and Mirkwood, as well as... something else I think, but I don't remember how to check what content I own. I want to go VIP again but not until transfers from my server, Imladris, are opened. Until then how can I level from 33 to Moria? And is there a way to check what content I own?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zipline posted:

I'm interested in getting back into this. I played LoTRO for 3-4 months in 2013 as a VIP and it was some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. The Shire is great, sure, but I really like the Archet/Combe/Staddle/Bree area, one of the best starter areas I've ever had the pleasure to play in. The problem I'm facing is lack of content. I am currently level 33, having completed most of the North Downs and Lone Lands except for some of the group content. I own Mines of Moria and Mirkwood, as well as... something else I think, but I don't remember how to check what content I own. I want to go VIP again but not until transfers from my server, Imladris, are opened. Until then how can I level from 33 to Moria? And is there a way to check what content I own?

I'm pretty sure Evendim is the region of choice for this, but I don't remember how to check what you own offhand. If you do own it, definitely go over that way.

If you don't, I might just VIP anyway. It unlocks a lot of things that stay unlocked once you have unlocked them, and also lets you use all the 1-50 zones.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Zipline posted:

I own Mines of Moria and Mirkwood, as well as... something else I think, but I don't remember how to check what content I own. I want to go VIP again but not until transfers from my server, Imladris, are opened. Until then how can I level from 33 to Moria? And is there a way to check what content I own?

You can see what expansion you have by logging in at this url : https://myaccount.turbine.com/index.php

It will show the expansion but not what quest pack or account upgrades you have. That would certainly be a nice addition to that site.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Nice lifetime account humblebrag. It hurts. I had two chances. "How long could I play the same video game, fun or not?" I asked myself.

Also I would think the easiest way to check your quest packs is just hit ctrl-s in game for the store, open up the quest packs section. Assuming you are not VIP while searching (VIP gives access to them meaning you can't buy them while VIP since you own them at that moment) then any quest packs still visible are ones you do not own. I guess that is still a little confusing since there are a lot of them, but still a sure way to count which you have and which you need.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Also Beorning class is currently on sale for 750 TP if anyone is interested in either being a big bad bear in a group, or soloing roving threats just mauling through the fuckers by yourself.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Hm, this can't be right. The Turbine page says I only own Shadows of Angmar Guest and Standard and Mines of Moria. But I had several thousand TP from months of VIP a few years ago and I remember buying two (IIRC) expansions with them last year or the year before when they were on sale. I only have like 300 TP now so I know I spent it. But it doesn't show it...

EDIT: I'm going to try the "see what I cannot buy" trick.

Zipline fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 29, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zipline posted:

Hm, this can't be right. The Turbine page says I only own Shadows of Angmar Guest and Standard and Mines of Moria. But I had several thousand TP from months of VIP a few years ago and I remember buying two (IIRC) expansions with them last year or the year before when they were on sale. I only have like 300 TP now so I know I spent it. But it doesn't show it...

EDIT: I'm going to try the "see what I cannot buy" trick.

I think that page only counts things added as codes into that page, so when the turbine store was added everything you bought since will be in your records there instead. I think there's actually emails sent and some kind of in-store records too, I just can't remember using any method other than that one.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
It looks like I own the Misty Mountains and Lothlorien quest packs, as well as the Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood expansions. HOWEVER, I can also purchase the Expansion Quests: Mirkwood item, so maybe I *don't* own Mirkwood somehow? Either way I have no content until 39 so I'll have to wait till merges

EDIT again: Forgot I bought the Steely Dawn DLC during a Humble Bundle a while ago and that comes with Evendim. Just gotta redeem it. Sweet, I'm excited. And also 36, not 33, and played in 2011 not 2013 apparently.

Zipline fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 30, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Man, if I had only known back in 2007 that I'd still be playing this game more than 8 years later I would have bought the lifetime founder thing. I was making like $9 an hour back then so I couldn't really afford it :negative:

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I figured back then that I would probably play at least 1 or 2 years if the game was any good. Plus I was and still am a Tolkien fan so the odds were very much in my favor so I took the plunge and got the lifetime plans. I still had to buy the expansions so I did spent a couple hundreds bucks on this game. It's all worth it for sure.

Oh and I ran Pelagir in a fellowship for the first time today and it was fun, we got platinum achievement and I was lucky enough to get an Elder king symbol !! So I crafted myself a first age book woot woot :)

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Returning after a few years away. Have Nazgun actually moved over to Landroval yet?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AskYourself posted:

I figured back then that I would probably play at least 1 or 2 years if the game was any good. Plus I was and still am a Tolkien fan so the odds were very much in my favor so I took the plunge and got the lifetime plans. I still had to buy the expansions so I did spent a couple hundreds bucks on this game. It's all worth it for sure.

Oh and I ran Pelagir in a fellowship for the first time today and it was fun, we got platinum achievement and I was lucky enough to get an Elder king symbol !! So I crafted myself a first age book woot woot :)

Pel duo and six man are on separate cooldowns for the best daily loot, so if you don't get bored run both daily. Also the duo is super easy to hit plat on. And grats on your symbol, not sure of the odds but probably something like 1 person per 10 runs.

Innerguard posted:

Returning after a few years away. Have Nazgun actually moved over to Landroval yet?

Nope, I wanted a good thread title and did not predict a delay from Turbine :) I will update it once we have more info though, or just post it here if it's small news. Post your name if you need some pipeweed or gold! And welcome back.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Innerguard posted:

Transfers haven't begun from Silverlode yet. Some people are on Landroval independently though.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

extra stout posted:

Nope, I ... did not predict a delay from Turbine :)
How long have you been playing? There's optimism but that's downright delusional.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

In addition to frequently missing their target dates, Turbine has a history of breaking promises and then not saying a word when they're called out about it by players on the LOTRO forums. Luckily for them the game itself is pretty good, and it's Lord of the Rings.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
With all the condensing of servers and the possibility of a more active playerbase on the 'goon realm' I think I'll pick this back up for a minute. Since after 8 years of on-and-off playing I only made it 26 anyway on any Silverlode character I think I'll just roll a fresh something on Landroval. The only catch is, what the gently caress do I roll? I can't decide between Champion, Warden, and Lore-master. I just want to solo through the quests at a leisurely pace, but have decent enough dps to kill whatever it is I come across. I remember my Captain being a little weak in the damage department, so I'd like something a little better than that.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I hate to sound negative like this, but they made everything faceroll easy as of the Helm's Deep expansion. Play whatever class is most fun for you because nothing will be too challenging unless you actively seek out orange or red mobs & quests. And even then it's not too difficult.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Warden's seem to be more hands-on since you have to remember gambit's and all. LM's are face roll as all hell thanks to pets, but also super squishy. Champions can take most things on with no issue and will kill pretty quickly but I found them more skill pattern repetition than hunters, probably cause I played it badly.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Brave New World posted:

I hate to sound negative like this, but they made everything faceroll easy as of the Helm's Deep expansion. Play whatever class is most fun for you because nothing will be too challenging unless you actively seek out orange or red mobs & quests. And even then it's not too difficult.

They did crank the difficulty back up a little bit with Gondor, thanks to player complaints. During the Rohan levels I could easily take on 6 mobs with my Guardian. Now 4 is usually my limit.

Captain is one of the slowest leveling classes in the game, but also takes a beating in heavy armor and they're a great utility class for groups. Warden is probably the most complicated class, but also very durable. Between those three classes I think I'd pick the Loremaster.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
My turn for a humblebrag: Of all those who claim the game is easy now, how many have chased the mysterious figure through The Ruined City and returned to the halls of your ancestors bearing treasure? (On tier II). Alright I admit it wasn't actually super hard, but it is a long final boss fight and you gotta have tons of gear and poo poo to even get people to invite you to a group.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Warden's seem to be more hands-on since you have to remember gambit's and all. LM's are face roll as all hell thanks to pets, but also super squishy. Champions can take most things on with no issue and will kill pretty quickly but I found them more skill pattern repetition than hunters, probably cause I played it badly.

No I can confirm that the end game champion is mostly gear based and while always staying in range and learning some finer tips and tricks definitely are helpful, the main focus of the most popular champion spec (red line two handers) is to hit devastating strike, then remorseless strike after. This is excluding hitting one of your smaller abilities for fervor build up, or just hitting the fervor spec button, and a bunch of other self buffs, but to really simplify it it's maybe 5 essential buttons. But like anything, to be really good at it does ramp up the number of things you have to know, buttons to press. If you clobber halfway through a big long animation skill, it immediately finishes it and clobbers, but then your only reliable and instant interrupt is now on cooldown.

I've got a hunter too and I don't think I'd say it's harder, but it does seem to have more builds/specs/options and buttons available to it. Not having to ever worry about being in range or turning around a lot is pretty amazing though, and I'm not sure currently who does more damage.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 30, 2015

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, shitfire. All of my stuff is on Brandywine, but goons are going to be on Landroval and it looks like I came back a few hours too late to miss the transfer window between those. Any info if they're going to open that up again for a short time?

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Innerguard posted:

Ah, shitfire. All of my stuff is on Brandywine, but goons are going to be on Landroval and it looks like I came back a few hours too late to miss the transfer window between those. Any info if they're going to open that up again for a short time?

I'd expect middle of September. Here's the latest official word. Bit at the bottom talks about the free transfers between the remaining worlds - sounds like they're looking into making it amount limited (you get some number of free transfers) instead of time limited (you can freely transfer until time X).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brave New World posted:

The Moria intro quest can be(and always should be) started at level 45. That way, you get your starter Legendary Items ASAP. :viggo:

This should be in the OP in a size 96 Blingee font/gif. It's one of the best things you can do both for gear and for some nice challenge that comes of facing red enemies.

Brave New World posted:

The game costs nothing until at least level 33, so don't let anything stop you from jumping back in if you really think you want to.

Getting to 33 can also get you most (maybe all) the TP you need to buy Evendim, which will get you to 40-41.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Evil Fluffy posted:

This should be in the OP in a size 96 Blingee font/gif. It's one of the best things you can do both for gear and for some nice challenge that comes of facing red enemies.

Getting to 33 can also get you most (maybe all) the TP you need to buy Evendim, which will get you to 40-41.

I can definitely add more stuff I've got some pms with ideas for how much to put in, I was just hoping I could keep it brief and we could all ask these things in kin chat or voice chat, but the people have spoken and I will slowly add more stuff. I do not have size 96 font blingees nor do I think they are a respectable thing so I have instead added a really ridiculous Beorn gif instead, maybe I will introduce each class with a tumblr gif and then a sentence about it, just to make sure cell phone people owe extra data money for browsing this thread.

Also if any level 100s need a first age symbol, I looted one tonight and it's yours if you use it before my alts get hungry!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

As a brief counter to this: I'm running Moria right now and I've been finding several you-aren't-high-enough-level-for-this-quest floating rings around. I'm missing out on content and due to not being VIP, the content I CAN do is outleveling me.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

I'm confused by the official page and can't find an answer from wiki either: What exactly IS available free and what is bought? I see surprising stuff like character slots and questlines for sale in addition to stuff I'd expect - expansions and mounts and experience boosts and the like.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Here's a wiki page outlining the difference between account levels: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Types

Here's a wiki page outlining the stuff in the LOTRO Store that is probably not completely up-to-date but does seem to have all the quest packs in there: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store

The starter regions - Ered Luin (dwarves and elves), Bree-land (men), and the Shire (duh) - are free, along with the Lone-lands, which is one of the two areas available for players leveling out of their starter area. As other players have said, the Lone-lands will get you to your early 30's, and if you've been completing your deeds along the way and also take some time to complete a few of the easy deeds in the other starter areas, you can expect to have enough Turbine Points to purchase Evendim or the Trollshaws (I recommend Evendim if you haven't played either before, although Trollshaws is a lot better than it used to be), which will get you to your 40's. At that point you will have experienced enough of the game to decide if you want to stick with it, if it's worth spending some money, if it's worth grinding more TP to purchase more content, or so on.

It is possible to be truly free-to-play. It requires a high tolerance for grinding, especially at first. I find that earning turbine points comes a lot easier as it goes on because you gain access to more point-earning options as you unlock more content. If you want to be fully free-to-play there are lots of tips as to how your TP are best spent to improve your grinding experience and earn you more points more efficiently.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
played this a while ago and i remember the optimal deed grinding was making new characters to do the low level ones over and over since they gave the same amount of points but had a much lower requirement (eg kill 10 boars instead of kill 50 giant boars). you could also just level several characters at once if you want to keep them though that's a bit slower

i remember lone lands went on sale so i bought it, then a month later they made it free. that was annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granny
Jun 18, 2008

Have they abandoned mounted combat yet?