Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Granny posted:

Have they abandoned mounted combat yet?

They don't center anything around it anymore and in Gondor it's up to you if you want to use a regular mount or a war steed, so they kind of quietly acknowledged the people and made it an optional function instead of a selling point. I use it only when I plan on fighting in high level areas or just hitting that turbo button on a heavy warsteed to run past 100 mobs without dying. So they didn't remove it, but no you don't really have to give a poo poo about it either.

owl milk posted:

played this a while ago and i remember the optimal deed grinding was making new characters to do the low level ones over and over since they gave the same amount of points but had a much lower requirement (eg kill 10 boars instead of kill 50 giant boars). you could also just level several characters at once if you want to keep them though that's a bit slower

I think I posted about this in the old thread, but to refresh it everyone just got two free character slots to prepare for transfers, so if you are trying to save cash and that's more important than getting a character to level 100 that's two more slots you can make level 20s on, keep in mind not only will you earn some TP by the time each alt hits 20 but you can then mail your alts reputation items from the auction hall or your main. The two you can just right click and max out to kindred at level 20 (minimum) are Bree and The Mathom House. I think Thorin's Hall is 35, so 20 is the real apex in terms of easy money. 5/10/15/20 turbine points for each, so that's essentially 100 turbine points without spending anything, plus a couple hundred you'll probably get from deeds and class (use your main skill 100 times) type of deeds.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

bombhand posted:

Here's a wiki page outlining the difference between account levels: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Types

Here's a wiki page outlining the stuff in the LOTRO Store that is probably not completely up-to-date but does seem to have all the quest packs in there: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store

The starter regions - Ered Luin (dwarves and elves), Bree-land (men), and the Shire (duh) - are free, along with the Lone-lands, which is one of the two areas available for players leveling out of their starter area. As other players have said, the Lone-lands will get you to your early 30's, and if you've been completing your deeds along the way and also take some time to complete a few of the easy deeds in the other starter areas, you can expect to have enough Turbine Points to purchase Evendim or the Trollshaws (I recommend Evendim if you haven't played either before, although Trollshaws is a lot better than it used to be), which will get you to your 40's. At that point you will have experienced enough of the game to decide if you want to stick with it, if it's worth spending some money, if it's worth grinding more TP to purchase more content, or so on.

It is possible to be truly free-to-play. It requires a high tolerance for grinding, especially at first. I find that earning turbine points comes a lot easier as it goes on because you gain access to more point-earning options as you unlock more content. If you want to be fully free-to-play there are lots of tips as to how your TP are best spent to improve your grinding experience and earn you more points more efficiently.

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that but that looks surprisingly decent. Not too expensive, compared to the subscription model.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

As a brief counter to this: I'm running Moria right now and I've been finding several you-aren't-high-enough-level-for-this-quest floating rings around. I'm missing out on content and due to not being VIP, the content I CAN do is outleveling me.

You do the Moria intro at 45 then go finish Eregion (or whatever zone you like) and enter Moria proper at 48+ which lets you pick up the storyline and allows you to grab all the quests in each area as you get to them in order* and clear out their quests. If you go in to Moria at 48 and run every quest and each instance once (or more, if you're trying to do their quests) you'll step out in to Lorien at level 61-62 easily. Skip a bunch of quests and step out in to Lorien at 58-59 to avoid totally bulldozing that area. You'll need some rep with Lothlorien to be able to move around the area fully unless you made your character a Lorien elf IIRC.

*not required, but unless you really hate an area (Foundation of Stone) it's worth going through as you reach it.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

The last time I played this was Update 11. Should I just delete my old characters and start fresh? I have no idea where my skills all went and everything is different.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
There's really never any reason to delete a character in an MMO just because you've been away for awhile. Just hop in and start killing stuff with your character's skills and see how it feels. Or google the class and look up some builds people use for it.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Evil Fluffy posted:

You'll need some rep with Lothlorien to be able to move around the area fully unless you made your character a Lorien elf IIRC.

I thought they removed that restriction in a past update? Or maybe it was just the reputation restriction to enter the woods of Lothlorien that was removed, but there still might be a requirement to complete a quest deed in the woods before you're allowed into Caras Galadhon?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

Also if any level 100s need a first age symbol, I looted one tonight and it's yours if you use it before my alts get hungry!

I'm starting to get active on my guardian Ithoran again, if you still have that symbol I'd love you forever if I could use it. :bigtran: Just have to get my burglar's weaponsmithing guild rep up before I could craft it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

I'm starting to get active on my guardian Ithoran again, if you still have that symbol I'd love you forever if I could use it. :bigtran: Just have to get my burglar's weaponsmithing guild rep up before I could craft it.

You signed off as I signed in, guess I have to throw this thing in the pools of the dead marshes and see if it skips like a flat stone. RIP

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

You signed off as I signed in, guess I have to throw this thing in the pools of the dead marshes and see if it skips like a flat stone. RIP

WELP

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Hey. Hey. What happened to the water effects dripping off my clothes as I get out of water? That was one of my favorite features.

Also Evendim is BORING.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Got lucky again and I was rewarded with another Elder king symbol running an instance with these guys advertising on the world channel :)

If someone need it just say it, maybe ruffz for your guardian ?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Valiantman posted:

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that but that looks surprisingly decent. Not too expensive, compared to the subscription model.
It's easy to miss. Information on this game is not very well-centralized and not always simple to find even with googling. And a lot of the information out there is out-of-date to varying degrees. Although the wiki is generally the best source available, it's not always accurate on older content. Some users have brought pages up-to-date but other sections aren't necessarily correct where changes have been made.

A lot of the Moria info, for example, was/is out of date because Moria was really heavily revamped in a later update to make it less frustrating. I think I registered and updated at least one questline but updating one page meant updating all the pages it linked to and then all the pages those linked to and I got tired and stopped after the one questline.

AskYourself, you're scholar, right? Hoboknife's almost 100 if he's not already, so he'll need a songbook soon enough.

For everyone else, I have three Elder King symbols in my vault for making first-ages for goons who need their first 100 FA. And don't forget to check the kin chest when you hit 100 for starter gear to tide you over. There's also a bit of stuff for lower levels. It's on a "take what you need" basis, so if something in there will be useful to you, take it. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't put anything in that chest if I'm seriously bothered about who it ends up going to; I keep stuff in my own vault if I want to keep control over where it ends up.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

bombhand posted:

AskYourself, you're scholar, right? Hoboknife's almost 100 if he's not already, so he'll need a songbook soon enough.

ooohhh yeah that's right ! Hobo I'll craft you a level 100 1st age book man :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If/when I look at the captain LI changes to figure out what legacies to aim for these days I might take a symbol to make a class item then go find a 2nd one for a weapon.

flowinprose posted:

I thought they removed that restriction in a past update? Or maybe it was just the reputation restriction to enter the woods of Lothlorien that was removed, but there still might be a requirement to complete a quest deed in the woods before you're allowed into Caras Galadhon?

Not sure. When I leveled my Captain and later my Champion I ran both through the Moria epic along the way (and completed the buggy We Cannot Get Out quest when people said it was impossible :chord:) so I got the free 10k rep with the elves before I bothered trying to go in to the forest. I think my Champion still had to do something before he could enter the city though.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not sure. When I leveled my Captain and later my Champion I ran both through the Moria epic along the way (and completed the buggy We Cannot Get Out quest when people said it was impossible :chord:) so I got the free 10k rep with the elves before I bothered trying to go in to the forest. I think my Champion still had to do something before he could enter the city though.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there was a requirement to complete the second of three quest deeds (a total of 20 quest completions) called something like "Warrior of Caras Galadhon" in order to enter the city proper. Not sure if that is still around, though, cause the last time I did that was literally multiple years ago.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
For Lothlorien, I think you can access a rope to the side of the gates to get into do the epic story, and perhaps turn in/get rep quests? I don't think you can explore beyond that without having reputation with them. Once you get enough reputation, you can go into the areas, but won't have any quests available unless you bought the QP.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Just reinstalled to check out my account and it looks like I've got Moria and Siege of Mirkwood unlocked along with a level 24 Rune-Keeper on Silverlode (and some other even lower level alts). Obviously I didn't make it very far but I remember burning out because grinding virtues was tedious and the leveling process was slow. Is all of that still the same as it was three years ago?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Tell me more about bears. I unlocked them because I have more points accumulated than sense, but I'm not sure I should actually give up my level 51 Manburgler to start one. Are they fun? Any neat utility?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Conskill posted:

Tell me more about bears. I unlocked them because I have more points accumulated than sense, but I'm not sure I should actually give up my level 51 Manburgler to start one. Are they fun? Any neat utility?

I'm new to them but I run end game content with a few and the main appeal beyond just the aesthetic of being a bear is the mechanics are very good, you can essentially do almost champion DPS numbers while healing yourself if you go redline with a few points into the I believe yellow line has the self heals.

They also make good tanks that can heal themselves, but I believe not as good as guards in terms of pure defense. Basically the ability to actually heal yourself while not being a healer, kind of like a champion if 'bracing attack' was both very good and had a shorter cooldown.

All 3 trait lines are good enough to use, though end game it sounds like red with a little yellow is the one people use to solo roving threats. Funny abilities like stirring an animated pot of honey to make your own food, swarming your enemy with bees, clawing through them, etc.

tldr: they're fuckin good & fun

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So, how long does Pelargir and the other endgame content take to run? I have my 4 year old and 1 year old with me during the day, so I can't really be glued to my monitor for long stretches. I did LFR raiding in WoW recently, but you can be semi-AFK in that.

Also, if I were to start doing group content again, is it like it was back in the Moria days where there was no room for Guardians that aren't tank spec? I've been in DPS spec since level 60 and it would require a new set of gear to tank.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

AskYourself posted:

ooohhh yeah that's right ! Hobo I'll craft you a level 100 1st age book man :)

I wouldn't turn down a book... I'm almost done with 98...

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

ruffz posted:

So, how long does Pelargir and the other endgame content take to run? I have my 4 year old and 1 year old with me during the day, so I can't really be glued to my monitor for long stretches. I did LFR raiding in WoW recently, but you can be semi-AFK in that.

Also, if I were to start doing group content again, is it like it was back in the Moria days where there was no room for Guardians that aren't tank spec? I've been in DPS spec since level 60 and it would require a new set of gear to tank.
Pelargir's pretty quick, under an hour, but requires your attention pretty much throughout with a few spots to rest as long as you need (provided nobody starts the next section). Your DPS guard will be better at it than a tank-specced one.

For Osgiliath I'm not super sure. I think the T1s should be fairly easily doable in an hour or so with a DPS-traited guard provided your morale is reasonable and you've got most of your gear slots filled with stuff from Dol Amroth (class set, slotted set, big-battle jewellery sets). The T2s are really challenging and require thoughtful gear setups and strong strategy followed properly. Do some reading on the wiki beforehand unless you've got a leader who knows the instance well and is willing to instruct. (Even then, really.)

Zipline
May 9, 2013
What are the remaining servers going to be, both EU and US?

Also, I heard something about everyone getting two free character slots in addition to whatever they currently have upon transferring to the new worlds. Is that true?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Zipline posted:

What are the remaining servers going to be, both EU and US?

Also, I heard something about everyone getting two free character slots in addition to whatever they currently have upon transferring to the new worlds. Is that true?

6 servers for each continent. I'm pretty sure they already gave out the free character slots. I had 7 of my 9 characters available to play ever since I dropped my subscription, now all 9 are available.

edit: my fault, 5 servers for each continent

ruffz fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 4, 2015

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I'm at 7 total slots on Imladris, so will I have 7 on whatever server I move to?

And what are the 12 servers, have they announced that?

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Zipline posted:

I'm at 7 total slots on Imladris, so will I have 7 on whatever server I move to?

And what are the 12 servers, have they announced that?

I think so. As far as I can tell, all accounts just had two additional character slots added to them.

List of servers is here. US is Arkenstone, Crickhollow, Gladden, Landroval, and Brandywine. EU is Belegaer, Gwaihir, Sirannon, Laurelin, and Evernight.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Does anyone here on Silverlode have maxed out weaponsmithing? My weaponsmith is like 2 weeks from being maxed out, and I need a level 100 first age crafted. I'm thinking I want a greatsword since I probably won't end up going tank spec.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm entirely new to this and giving it a try because I have a bit of spare time and a lovely, old computer that won't run anything made in the last 2 years.

Can someone give a rundown on the classes? Are there any that are good for a newbie or any that are terrible?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
So I haven't really been paying attention but I'm updating my client in anticipation of playing this weekend. Did I miss the transfers to landroval?

E: And why not brandywine? Is landroval just as highly populated?

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 4, 2015

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
No you didn't miss the transfer. From what we've gather it should happen sometime in October or something.

I'm not sure we've decided on a server yet. I think we want to go on Brandywine if it's still open for transfer and Landroval being the second choice.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm entirely new to this and giving it a try because I have a bit of spare time and a lovely, old computer that won't run anything made in the last 2 years.

Can someone give a rundown on the classes? Are there any that are good for a newbie or any that are terrible?

I'm the lazy idiot student guy who hasn't updated the OP with those enough, so if you don't want to spend the cash to play the beorning master race, check this out, click race then you can browse the classes.

http://www.lotro.com/en/explore/characters

In terms of a new player leveling up you can really do it with any class, since we haven't merged to a big server yet you might want one that solos quickly with a lot of damage (hunter, champion) but honestly the early levels are easy enough that you should just pick one based on the description and your favorite race and see if you like it. The premium/paid classes are runekeeper, warden and beorning, so anyone but those if you want to keep it to zero dollars for a few weeks/months.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

All the classes will do fairly ok doing solo questing. If you're looking for classes that will remain interesting to level through the cap and play repeatedly in groups, the list narrows a bit. You should be fine looking at the lotro wiki and reading the class descriptions and picking whatever suits your playstyle.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

AskYourself posted:

No you didn't miss the transfer. From what we've gather it should happen sometime in October or something.

I'm not sure we've decided on a server yet. I think we want to go on Brandywine if it's still open for transfer and Landroval being the second choice.

Great. I just logged in for the first time in almost half a year. Yay.

So nobody has transferred off yet, it looks? I saw info on the kin transfer but there's info scattered all over the forums and I couldn't tell what was up-to-date. Do we know exactly how this will work? Does everyone hold off on xfers until the kin leader initiates a transfer, then everyone else goes ahead and kicks it off?

I guess I'll have to keep checking the thread to make sure I don't ignore the window and miss the chance.

In other news, FF14 is a loving awesome MMO and sucked up almost as much time as LOTRO did. Less money, though...

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Richard M Nixon posted:

Great. I just logged in for the first time in almost half a year. Yay.

So nobody has transferred off yet, it looks? I saw info on the kin transfer but there's info scattered all over the forums and I couldn't tell what was up-to-date. Do we know exactly how this will work? Does everyone hold off on xfers until the kin leader initiates a transfer, then everyone else goes ahead and kicks it off?

I guess I'll have to keep checking the thread to make sure I don't ignore the window and miss the chance.

In other news, FF14 is a loving awesome MMO and sucked up almost as much time as LOTRO did. Less money, though...

I'm running late so I'll edit this for the new guy too, don't pick warden it costs money and is for nerds btw, but transfers for Silverlode are like 6-8 weeks off now (we're at the end of the list) so don't worry about it yet. Yes we know how it'll work, it's mostly explained on lotro.com and the forums. It's free, you choose which characters and if you want your account shared stuff to go to which server, click some buttons, boom. Housing items will transfer, house will transfer, etc. Also new guy if you pick a healing or tank class and are good at it end game I will make you rich, so consider your possible wealth! Or play what's fun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I was eyeballing either the captain or guardian. I've been dicking around with the captain right now, but any compelling reason why the guardian might be more interestin / more fun?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Most of the captain's utility is designed around being in a party and supporting/buffing others. Given the current state of the game, grouping just isn't something that happens all that much, so you'll be leveling and killing things slower than if you take a pure damage dealer like hunter or champion. Guardian has a similar problem in that it's mostly meant to work as a party tank.

Last time I played, I thought the captain did have a fun playstyle, but it was notably slower to progress than my other classes.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

extra stout posted:

I'm running late so I'll edit this for the new guy too, don't pick warden it costs money and is for nerds btw, but transfers for Silverlode are like 6-8 weeks off now (we're at the end of the list) so don't worry about it yet. Yes we know how it'll work, it's mostly explained on lotro.com and the forums. It's free, you choose which characters and if you want your account shared stuff to go to which server, click some buttons, boom. Housing items will transfer, house will transfer, etc. Also new guy if you pick a healing or tank class and are good at it end game I will make you rich, so consider your possible wealth! Or play what's fun.

Is it a free-for-all when the xfer button turns on, or if we xfer before the kinship is started does something mess up?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Most of the captain's utility is designed around being in a party and supporting/buffing others. Given the current state of the game, grouping just isn't something that happens all that much, so you'll be leveling and killing things slower than if you take a pure damage dealer like hunter or champion. Guardian has a similar problem in that it's mostly meant to work as a party tank.

Last time I played, I thought the captain did have a fun playstyle, but it was notably slower to progress than my other classes.

Don't play champion. I hate my champion, but I'll be hosed if I'm leveling another class. It's the most numbing experience of mashing the same 4 buttons without any fucks given to what is being fought. I'd kill for a bit of complexity in my rotation.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I thought the combat for the rune keeper was pretty fun solo early on while leveling. I know you need to buy Moria to get that, but you'll probably want to get Moria anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Is it a free-for-all when the xfer button turns on, or if we xfer before the kinship is started does something mess up?

They said that if the kin leader goes first, members that transfer will automatically be added back to the kinship on the new server. If some people go before the kin leader, I think they just have to be manually added.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was eyeballing either the captain or guardian. I've been dicking around with the captain right now, but any compelling reason why the guardian might be more interestin / more fun?

They're both pretty slow levelers. My only level 100 is a guardian, mostly because he was my first character from over 8 years ago so I got him to the level cap first. I'll likely be bringing my burglar to 100 next, because it's my favorite class along with the minstrel.

AskYourself posted:

Brandywine is undergoing a hardware upgrade and won't be available for incoming transfers for several months, from what they've said. Landroval is currently the #1 choice unless Brandywine becomes available sooner than expected. There's the possible issue that Landroval will be at capacity by the time Silverlode is able to transfer, because several other smaller servers get to move before we do. In that event I think we'd be headed for Gladden.