Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was eyeballing either the captain or guardian. I've been dicking around with the captain right now, but any compelling reason why the guardian might be more interestin / more fun?

Any of them can be fun, guardian is currently kind of overpowered in the end game because they're tanky as hell even when they drop shield, trait red line and swing a great axe. Then with very little effort they can go back to being the tank of the current 3 man end game content, The Ruined City (Tier 2). Even with it being really good at 100, that only matters if you enjoy the class (or maybe the quests and the world despite the class) enough to hit 100 though. I'm not saying go guardian instead of captain, just that it's more desired by the kin and the server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ruffz posted:

Does anyone here on Silverlode have maxed out weaponsmithing? My weaponsmith is like 2 weeks from being maxed out, and I need a level 100 first age crafted. I'm thinking I want a greatsword since I probably won't end up going tank spec.

I should have it maxxed on my champ. I can hop on later and double check.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Richard M Nixon posted:

Don't play champion. I hate my champion, but I'll be hosed if I'm leveling another class. It's the most numbing experience of mashing the same 4 buttons without any fucks given to what is being fought. I'd kill for a bit of complexity in my rotation.

Kinda seconding this. I got bored of mine which is why I'm just starting up a Captain now (on Silverlode so I can move with the rest of the kin, so I really should get her in at one point).

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Captain has a lot of buttons to push. The Blue line won't heal as well as a minstrel, the red line won't hit as hard as a champ, the yellow line won't survive as long as a guardian (though it is good). That's the tradeoff, plus you get a big halberd if you want.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Captain can be setup in to a redline with partial blueline allowing you to make up for your lacking DPS through utility, or at least you could do that at one point. Throwing down banners and tossing out buffs when you need to get a boss burned down should be a net gain though.

My champ does have Westemnet weaponsmithing mastered with Westemnet rep in the weaponsmith guild so I can make lvl 100 LIs if needed.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Glass of Milk posted:

Captain has a lot of buttons to push. The Blue line won't heal as well as a minstrel, the red line won't hit as hard as a champ, the yellow line won't survive as long as a guardian (though it is good). That's the tradeoff, plus you get a big halberd if you want.

I'm enjoying mine even if it isn't the best at anything. It's great for soloing, I've found, which is what I've been doing a lot of. And banners/buffs sound like a good plan.

I'm Tethelle, though I'm not on right now and might not be until late tonight. I'll see about getting a Nazgun invite if anyone happens to be on when I am (I have a character in the guild already so it's easy for me to check).

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If anyone feels like doing the Farmer's Fair for cosmetics, mounts, housing items, potions, whatever you'd like, it's mostly a just for fun event that's probably going on for a few more days I imagine. The best ones for earning tokens are the one hour cooldown Mushroom Hunt (pro tip: stare at minimap, avoid all dogs, press delete to select nearest object and your use button to run to it) or the Egg Scramble, both are fun and both have an hour cooldown so if you want to play your main seriously, just park your alts there.

I've got some dumb screenshots from eating a ton of the colored mushrooms but that'd be a spoiler, so just go eat a bunch of mushrooms!

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I still want to construct lv100 FA LIs to imbue, but I never worked at getting the blemished symbols before I left. What's the best thing I should gently caress around doing over the weekend to make progress on this? Duo BBs to earn plat, work on the rep grind in Gondor, or try and beg my way into raids? I don't think I've ever done T3 skraids but that may be an option too, if they're run often by pubbies.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
My main is a Hunter but TBH I don't really like it. It leaves me craving more melee capability. It kills things fast, sure, but it's kind of boring. I bought the Beorning but so far I'm disappointed with it. The voice acting is awful so the constant grunts and growls get annoying immediately and the starting area is just lazy. It dumps you into the Man starting area after about 10 minutes in what could have been a really nice starting area if they had put the work in. I don't know, looking forward to being able to beset bees with further bees I guess.

A big problem with LoTRO, probably my biggest, is that each area can really only be completed once. After you've gone through a region's quests one time then the story is over, and going through it again on an alt is mindnumbing. Other games give you multiple paths so each alt can be different, but LoTRO doesn't. Everyone goes to Bree, and it's all the same from there. Otherwise I'd probably level a Man Minstrel

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

My champ does have Westemnet weaponsmithing mastered with Westemnet rep in the weaponsmith guild so I can make lvl 100 LIs if needed.

What's your champ's name? I'll just send you the symbol and other mats when I get on next, if that's cool.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ruffz posted:

What's your champ's name? I'll just send you the symbol and other mats when I get on next, if that's cool.

Champ is Whorunbartertown.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zipline posted:

Other games give you multiple paths so each alt can be different, but LoTRO doesn't. Everyone goes to Bree, and it's all the same from there. Otherwise I'd probably level a Man Minstrel

There are only 3 starter zones, but you're not obliged to stick to the one your race dictates. As a Man you can just as easily make your way to the Shire or Ered Luin if you haven't done them yet. After you've done all 3 sure, no more options, but you can mix and match.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Zipline posted:

A big problem with LoTRO, probably my biggest, is that each area can really only be completed once. After you've gone through a region's quests one time then the story is over, and going through it again on an alt is mindnumbing. Other games give you multiple paths so each alt can be different, but LoTRO doesn't. Everyone goes to Bree, and it's all the same from there. Otherwise I'd probably level a Man Minstrel

....what?! There's so much content in this game, so much exp to be had, that aside from a few spots, you should be able to take 3 or more characters through without ever repeating anything.

Yeah, there's the recommended route that people prefer, but seriously, stray off of it for alts if you want. Saying there's only one path for LOTRO is so wrong that I can't even fathom it.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Zones_by_level

Zipline
May 9, 2013
The race-specific content ends at like 15 (and the Elves and Beornings don't even get that), and you're funneled into Bree-land. Everyone takes the same path at that point. You do Bree, then eventually the Barrow Downs, and it's time to go to the Lone Lands. LL doesn't have enough content to level you to the next area though, so you also do ND. That's for every character. I just want more race-specific content, something like Warhammer Online where each race had its own path.

Is there a "instant-level" token or something I can buy? I have some XP boosts that I could pop to get some of my alts up to, IDK, 30 or 40, but I was hoping to save them for when leveling gets more difficult. It'd be nice to be able to just pay $5 to hit 40 instantly and skip all of the areas I have already done to death. It's legitimately making me not want to play.

Zipline fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 5, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Zipline posted:

The race-specific content ends at like 15 (and the Elves and Beornings don't even get that), and you're funneled into Bree-land. Everyone takes the same path at that point. You do Bree, then eventually the Barrow Downs, and it's time to go to the Lone Lands. LL doesn't have enough content to level you to the next area though, so you also do ND. That's for every character. I just want more race-specific content, something like Warhammer Online where each race had its own path.

Is there a "instant-level" token or something I can buy? I have some XP boosts that I could pop to get some of my alts up to, IDK, 30 or 40, but I was hoping to save them for when leveling gets more difficult. It'd be nice to be able to just pay $5 to hit 40 instantly and skip all of the areas I have already done to death. It's legitimately making me not want to play.

You can level to 50 instantly with the Gift of the Valar, but it's not $5. Standard price is 4995 turbine points, which is about $50. When it's on sale, you can buy it for 3746 TP, and when there's a double TP sale like now, it's $35 and you'll have a few hundred TP left over for other things. The cost is in line with the WOW powerlevel token, but this one only brings you halfway to the level cap.

When you said that burning through a zone means it's a slog on the other characters - what MMO does that not apply to? Like another poster said, there's enough content that you can easily do mostly unique quests to level for a few characters (2-3, maybe 4 depending on your use of XP boosts). Unless you mean the epic story quests, I don't see how content is really repeated. Sure if you full-clear the zones then you'll be doing repetitions, but that's every MMO ever. I don't know of any outside of maybe SWTOR and maybe ESO that lets you have a dynamic quest.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

How often do they have these 2x TP sales? I'm liking the game and can tell I'll eventually want a few more frills on the account. Is this something where I can just wait a month for the next sale or should I grab some now?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
If you feel you're enjoying the game, your best option is probably to subscribe for a month or two. The subscription itself will unlock a bunch of things like trait slots and inventory bags that stay unlocked even if you lapse, and you'll accumulate a few points to buy extras later. I'm not sure exactly where the sub/f2p breakpoints are right now, but it has almost always been a good idea to sub for your initial leveling period, then re-evaluate what you want to do once you get a bit further into the game.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

How often do they have these 2x TP sales? I'm liking the game and can tell I'll eventually want a few more frills on the account. Is this something where I can just wait a month for the next sale or should I grab some now?

Usually every 3 months or so. Around Xmas there's a triple point sale that's even more awesome. If you don't mind waiting and want to throw around some cash, it's a way to go. I spent $200 for 44,000 points.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Zipline posted:

The race-specific content ends at like 15 (and the Elves and Beornings don't even get that), and you're funneled into Bree-land. Everyone takes the same path at that point. You do Bree, then eventually the Barrow Downs, and it's time to go to the Lone Lands. LL doesn't have enough content to level you to the next area though, so you also do ND. That's for every character.

Again: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Zones_by_level

Yeah, the game may point you to zones, but go to whatever zone you want. Almost every (if not every) zone will have a quest to pick up near the entrance to get you started on the zone. Especially if you do quests a level or two above you, you can take very unique paths.

Yeah, there might be a little overlap in Bree, but there's absolutely no reason to take each and every character 100% Bree -> LL -> ND. Evendim, LL, and ND are all roughly the same level range, you can mix in Trollshaws there if you want, the go MM or Angmar or Forochel or Eregion because they all overlap heavily, or do a little in each then move on.

Seriously, just pick a zone in the level range and go somewhere different. The game is easy, you can do quests a couple of levels higher than you fine.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

If you're not using it, HugeBag is a great addon to give you a single unified bag, and it allows you to one-click merge items into a stack and sort items by category. It's been broken for a while and won't sort some newer items, so I made a patch for it.

Download the addon here
And my patch here

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Richard M Nixon posted:

If you're not using it, HugeBag is a great addon to give you a single unified bag, and it allows you to one-click merge items into a stack and sort items by category. It's been broken for a while and won't sort some newer items, so I made a patch for it.

Download the addon here
And my patch here

While cool, isn't every single feature of that in the game now? You can click the gear on bag 1, max it out, put no slots in the other bags, and boom, one huge bag, the game has a sort option by default too now.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

extra stout posted:

While cool, isn't every single feature of that in the game now? You can click the gear on bag 1, max it out, put no slots in the other bags, and boom, one huge bag, the game has a sort option by default too now.

Oh wow, it does. I've disabled my individual bags so I never see that option. Well then...

Thanks for ruining my pride, rear end in a top hat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

If you feel you're enjoying the game, your best option is probably to subscribe for a month or two. The subscription itself will unlock a bunch of things like trait slots and inventory bags that stay unlocked even if you lapse, and you'll accumulate a few points to buy extras later. I'm not sure exactly where the sub/f2p breakpoints are right now, but it has almost always been a good idea to sub for your initial leveling period, then re-evaluate what you want to do once you get a bit further into the game.

Is there anything written up anywhere that breaks down the sub/ftp stuff?

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there anything written up anywhere that breaks down the sub/ftp stuff?

Try here.

Oh, also, because some of the stuff is per character unlocks, it's usually a good idea to fill your character slots and log those character in at least once while you're subscribed.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Champ is Whorunbartertown.

Cool, sent you the mats.

There's 4 other level 100 goons on right now, I expected to be the only one online like I have been in past weekends. Great to see activity ticking upwards as we get closer to server transfers.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

We had a nice pick-up run of Pelargir with 5 Nazgun (including kin member "Nazgun") and a non-kin friend of mine! Looking forward to being able to do more of this soon.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So how do you go about getting in the goon guild

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

So how do you go about getting in the goon guild

Be online and whisper one of the officers in the OP. I (Doodler) can do it as well if you see me.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

bombhand posted:

We had a nice pick-up run of Pelargir with 5 Nazgun (including kin member "Nazgun") and a non-kin friend of mine! Looking forward to being able to do more of this soon.

This was a great run. Chirp and I had some learning to do. It's hard switching from ~hardcore gamer~ to playing with a girlfriend...suddenly there's a lot less watching videos and preparing for runs and more "it's okay baby, let's figure this out together." Sorry for the trouble but it was fun to gently caress around and figure out how to do everything. I think she's interested in learning strats now so we'll see how the next round goes.

Thanks to all the awesome people who set us up with 3 first age LIs, That was a shitton of grinding reduces to dust thanks to everyone's generosity.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I ran into an issue when I realized that my carefully laid plans to extract all needed legacies from pre-imbued LIs wouldn't work on my FA as I can only do major->major. gently caress. MC had to be frivolously spent on filling the FA with good poo poo. Now, the grind of levels begins. I didn't realize how much it would cost to start opening the rest of the tiers. Maybe grinding for coins or marks would be a smarter option...

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Richard M Nixon posted:

I ran into an issue when I realized that my carefully laid plans to extract all needed legacies from pre-imbued LIs wouldn't work on my FA as I can only do major->major. gently caress. MC had to be frivolously spent on filling the FA with good poo poo. Now, the grind of levels begins. I didn't realize how much it would cost to start opening the rest of the tiers. Maybe grinding for coins or marks would be a smarter option...

Glinghant runs are the best way to get marks to then barter for anfalas scrolls of empowerment, they usually sell for around 50g each on the auction, and you can also barter silver/gold Dol Amroth coins for them. I'd say some combination of all of those + turbine points if you have them is your safest bet.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

extra stout posted:

Glinghant runs are the best way to get marks to then barter for anfalas scrolls of empowerment, they usually sell for around 50g each on the auction, and you can also barter silver/gold Dol Amroth coins for them. I'd say some combination of all of those + turbine points if you have them is your safest bet.

I don't think I've ever run Glinghant...I was about to ask about it being low lv but I see it scales. I'll be watching for groups or maybe try to set one up. Is it popular? What makes it best for marks? I'm not too familiar with the grind mechanics in LOTRO, I assume it's just the fastest to full clear?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving :laffo: drank beer in the guild house ended up in the misty mountains surrounded by Giants 30 lvls higher than me.

10/10 would go on s bender again

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Since I still can't figure out what class I want to commit to, I decided to sub for a month and make one of everything and level it to 20 to get a taste of it/free riding/all my trait slots. Loremaster was pretty good, except for the weird 'stuck in place' thing some cast-bar spells do for a split second after the cast ends when I really want to be moving in to whack thing with the staff, Champion had even better kill speed than the Loremaster... But what the gently caress is going on with Minstrel? It's like I entered a goddamn cheat code or something. I have 3 different buttons that are one-hit kills on even-con mobs. Granted, one of them takes building up with the ballad buffs, but those skills two-shot poo poo anyway, so who cares? I almost don't want to play it anymore because it just feels broken. I may end up going the Guardian route, now that they have early ranged weapon access and they just seem to get a lot more easy offensive power than they used to. I dunno, I don't have to make my final decision until everyone can ride a horse :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm having a blast with guardian.

Edit I meant to ask: is guardian just obscenely durable even for a tank or are low level fellowship quests jokes? I've yet to find something by lvl 19 that I can't solo

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 7, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

loving :laffo: drank beer in the guild house ended up in the misty mountains surrounded by Giants 30 lvls higher than me.

10/10 would go on s bender again

Which keg takes you to the Misty Mountains? I've only got the Moria keg and the Inn League keg in my house and it would own to have a quick port there (even if it is RNG).

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm having a blast with guardian.

Edit I meant to ask: is guardian just obscenely durable even for a tank or are low level fellowship quests jokes? I've yet to find something by lvl 19 that I can't solo

The game is mostly easy for a while due to stat changes over time, promotional items, class changes, and while they could change it back to the way it was I imagine they like new players not becoming discouraged and will probably keep the first half of the levels pretty easy. Also if you actually tank well instead of going two handers you will become the hero of the kin!

Rocketpriest posted:

Since I still can't figure out what class I want to commit to, I decided to sub for a month and make one of everything and level it to 20 to get a taste of it/free riding/all my trait slots. Loremaster was pretty good, except for the weird 'stuck in place' thing some cast-bar spells do for a split second after the cast ends when I really want to be moving in to whack thing with the staff, Champion had even better kill speed than the Loremaster... But what the gently caress is going on with Minstrel? It's like I entered a goddamn cheat code or something. I have 3 different buttons that are one-hit kills on even-con mobs. Granted, one of them takes building up with the ballad buffs, but those skills two-shot poo poo anyway, so who cares? I almost don't want to play it anymore because it just feels broken. I may end up going the Guardian route, now that they have early ranged weapon access and they just seem to get a lot more easy offensive power than they used to. I dunno, I don't have to make my final decision until everyone can ride a horse :v:

It's hard to get a feel for a class even by 20 since it changes a lot by 100 and there's 3 trait lines per class. I haven't seen any good dps minstrels end game so that's probably just how they scale, probably 90 percent of minstrels go full heals. In terms of end game versatility, LMs are pretty good right now. Also I'm writing a letter to turbine now to cut down guardian DPS you people are ridiculous with your optimum tank class that is also a champion and always refuses to tank for us.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 7, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

extra stout posted:

Which keg takes you to the Misty Mountains? I've only got the Moria keg and the Inn League keg in my house and it would own to have a quick port there (even if it is RNG).

I think it's the inn league. It'll send to to a huge list of random places.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Richard M Nixon posted:

I think it's the inn league. It'll send to to a huge list of random places.

Oh actual inn league stuff, I'm a dwarf and I've got the defiled version of that keg we smashed up or some poo poo, which now seems less cool because it doesn't serve beer or do actually anything.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The Inn League Keg can send you to the Misty Mountains, yeah.

Re: class discussions. Early game is easy for all classes. Leveling to 20 won't give you a great idea of what the later game experience is but it'll give you a good idea of how the class plays generally. In early game, every class melts everything whether you play it properly or not. The later solo game is still pretty easy but it requires you to actually learn how to use your class's specific strengths and accommodate its weaknesses. One thing to consider is that the solo play for most classes differs from the group play, some classes much more than others.

I have a minstrel and a guardian at level 100 and a hunter in the 90s. I don't know how to play a hunter very well so I can't really comment on it, though.

Guardian is the tanking class. As a guard your survivability will always be much better than other classes if you're appropriately-geared, and if you're geared well you're basically invulnerable. However, it's harder to wring DPS out of a guardian than any other class, although I understand it's possible, and because of that, you might find yourself making relatively slow progress in the solo game because combat takes longer than it does for other classes. If you don't want to end up tanking in most groups you join, you're best off going with a different class now while you haven't invested too much time into your guard. If you do like tanking then a guard is a great choice and right now there's plenty of demand for decent tanks in groups. (When I first hit level cap I tried to strike a balance between tank and DPS with my guard. So I had a crappy tank and a crappy DPS and was useless in pretty much every situation until someone looked at my gear, told me I was being stupid, and spent an hour showing me what essences to replace with what. And now my guard is super rad and everybody likes to have me tank for them and I can't get anything done on my guard anymore because I always get snapped up into group.) When you're looking at gear, your main stats will be vitality and might, and also tactical mitigation.

Minstrels melt everything; their solo game is the easiest of three classes I've played most, because the minstrels have an arsenal of strong offensive skills that can be used while kiting. However, they are very squishy so there are a handful of points where the solo game gets a little trickier. A minstrel is kind of two classes in one, because the healing minstrel's strategy and skill rotation is entirely different from the offensive minstrel's. (I found this to be pretty cool because it meant that when I hit level cap and started grouping, it was all new to me.) In groups the minstrel's primary value is that of a healer; its DPS is really good but there are other classes that do it even better. A half-decent minstrel generally has little problem finding groups to join. For the current end-game content, it's necessary for a minstrel to put together gear that boosts morale by quite a bit, unless you're going to be running with a guard who can keep shield wall up on you constantly. Minstrel main stats (for both healing and offense) are will and vitality, also tactical mastery and critical rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Can anyone weigh in on the pros/cons of the minstrel vs. rune keeper? Because the way that bombhand just described the minstrel sounds a lot like my experience with a rune keeper.