Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

CompeAnansi posted:

Can anyone weigh in on the pros/cons of the minstrel vs. rune keeper? Because the way that bombhand just described the minstrel sounds a lot like my experience with a rune keeper.

minstrels and rune keepers have similar functions but very different mechanics..

The rune keeper attunement requires a lot of planning ahead on how to use your abilities whereas the minstrel stances are a very different setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I have a level 60-ish RK. It's definitely not as easy as the minstrel because you can't use your skills on the move and therefore kiting is out. Whenever I am able to effectively crowd-control, however, my RK feels more powerful than the mini. I probably won't level the RK much further (unless I lose my job again :smith:), because I'm not a skilled MMO player and I prefer to stick to classes that are simpler to play.

The best RKs I've seen are able to heal really well and also provide some DPS support, or vice versa, making them more flexible in-combat than what I've seen and experienced with minstrels. For most instances, when I'm tanking, my favourite healer player runs RK, but if that person's not available I'll usually prefer a minstrel because RKs need more skill to be effective healers than minstrels seem to.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

In the past (mainly Rohan) I could get a good deal of gear upgrades immediately upon hitting level 100 just from having done the solo quests and getting tokens. Gearing up at 100 seems like it's :effort: x10 for anyone like me that has a full time job and kids. Perhaps I need to wait until my kids are older before trying to get anything beyond starter gear at the level cap.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

ruffz posted:

In the past (mainly Rohan) I could get a good deal of gear upgrades immediately upon hitting level 100 just from having done the solo quests and getting tokens. Gearing up at 100 seems like it's :effort: x10 for anyone like me that has a full time job and kids. Perhaps I need to wait until my kids are older before trying to get anything beyond starter gear at the level cap.

It's just more time consuming. You can just do Dol Amroth dailies and get your set gear. It's time gated, but it's still only like 20-30 minutes a day (if you're slow like me) that you can do whenever you feel like. If you want jewelry you can run solo BBs, but it'll take longer and super unfun.

Then if you want more gear, you can do even more Dol Amroth dailies for essence gear but gently caress all that. That's a super big grind.

On the plus side - being in the same boat as you, it's not like I have any reason at all for needing better gear. I can smash everything just fine. Sure, I'd probably explode in T2 Osgiliath dungeons, but I'm also not running that content because of aforementioned job and kids. My gear is plenty good for dailies, the easy dungeon runs for marks, and some BBs here and there.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I think big battles are a fairly efficient use of time, especially Pelargir, because it can give you symbols and essences and slotted jewellery on top of the stars of merit. But then, I enjoy the big battles!

I think as long as your gear is mostly-teal and suitable for your class, the T1 Osgiliath instances should be doable for most people? Maybe a slotted piece with some morale essences in? I'm not sure what the minimum survival setup would be for those. And honestly, there's lots of scaled content that's still fun for me that doesn't require amazing gear setups.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm having a blast with guardian.

Edit I meant to ask: is guardian just obscenely durable even for a tank or are low level fellowship quests jokes? I've yet to find something by lvl 19 that I can't solo

I can't even think of any fellowship quests you can pick up at level 19. Small fellowship stuff is soloable by some classes more easily than others. Guardian can be very tanky but I think well played Wardens still hold the title of King of the Group Content Soloers. Not sure how many classes, if any, can solo 3 man content on-level now, or if you can 3-man skraids like you could at 85 (which was hilarious because I'd see full 12 man groups fail the exact same content :psyduck:).

As others have mentioned, though, changes over time have made things easier early on. The most noticeable for this is once you hit level 45 and can start getting loot drops from scaling dungeons like Great Barrow. Some of the teals, in a level 45 version, would probably last you through all of Moria because of the stat allocation. Moria's epic quest chain gives out teal gear that's pretty nice either way and some of it has effects you rarely, if ever, see on gear. Like enhanced run speed or CC duration reduction.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
I've been thinking about picking this up again and even though I think I had one of every single class to at least 40 I'll probably decide to start over on some of them. How is the class balance now? Do minstrels still out dps most classes? What are burglars like? They were one of my favorite classes back in the day but I know time hadn't been kind to them by the time I stopped and they were little more than glorified rogues. How are RKs at dps? When I played last they weren't so hot because all the changes had made other classes much better but they didn't really improve at all and consequently were towards the bottom.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

Enzenx posted:

I've been thinking about picking this up again and even though I think I had one of every single class to at least 40 I'll probably decide to start over on some of them. How is the class balance now? Do minstrels still out dps most classes? What are burglars like? They were one of my favorite classes back in the day but I know time hadn't been kind to them by the time I stopped and they were little more than glorified rogues. How are RKs at dps? When I played last they weren't so hot because all the changes had made other classes much better but they didn't really improve at all and consequently were towards the bottom.

This is all speaking of class performance in instances at level 100: I've been hearing RKs are leading in single target dps, in fire spec. Their healing isn't as good as minstrels right now, but some of their support skills are still appreciated. Can't say much about burglars since I don't really pay attention to them, but they should be in a pretty good spot. Only complaints I've been hearing are related to the endgame Osgiliath instances. Minstrels still have huge frontloaded burst dps, but as far as sustained dps they'll lose out to other dps classes.

Class balance overall is at an alright spot. Some classes definitely do perform better at certain roles than others (RK and I think wardens at single target dps and minstrels at healing) but all classes can do well enough for what's offered.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm having enough fun with this that I decided to get a one month sub to unlock the poo poo that it unlocks permanently. It has it set up to auto-renew by default. Am I correct in assuming that if I wait a couple days and cancel the subscription that it will just disable the auto renew?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, and it doesn't take the VIP until the next billing cycle would occur.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So I reinstalled this weekend for the first time in a couple of years and have been poking around to see what I can remember.

I don't think it's worth me dropping $40 on Helm's Deep, so my 85 Hunter is likely to stay on the shelf. My 46 Captain was parked in Forochel, so I started putzing around with him thinking maybe I'll hit up Moria and see all the fancy new changes they made since my last time through. Nice to see the Forochel tunnel lighting bug is still around years later.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is it just me or is the auction house really really dead?

Related how am o supposed to get weaponsmoth journals otherwise

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it just me or is the auction house really really dead?

Silverlode's AH has been dead for quite some time. Once we can get over to a new server, that issue won't exist anymore. Landroval's AH is busy before transfers even begin.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

another question:

I'm interested in doing the Great Barrow fellowship quest, but I can't find anyone who is interested in doing it. The instance cue is dead as well, which I suspect is a server population problem. Is there a preferred way to find people besides the cue, or is this just another "server's dead, wait until the merger" issue.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

another question:

I'm interested in doing the Great Barrow fellowship quest, but I can't find anyone who is interested in doing it. The instance cue is dead as well, which I suspect is a server population problem. Is there a preferred way to find people besides the cue, or is this just another "server's dead, wait until the merger" issue.

Ask in the World chat channel. I see groups forming pretty frequently in there, however it's mostly for level 100 stuff. That's probably your best bet until we get to move.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

If you have something specific you want run, you could always ask goons....or post it on the nazgun steam in order to let people know...

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The instance finder doesn't really work the way it's supposed to. You need to use the specific instance tab unless you already have a full party. My lowest toon is about level 35 but I'd be happy to join if I have time when stuff's going on. I probably won't be able to until at least next week, though.

The Great Barrow instances, however, are scaled, so you won't miss your chance to run them on-level. If you are interested in running a non-scaling instance on-level you'll need to put a party together when you're in the level range, so start ID'ing interested parties for a given instance early if you can.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
IDK what to level. I got bored of my Hunter main, which is 40, and bought the Beorning. He's at 19 and I'm enjoying it but I hear the class is super gimped at cap. Is that true? In that case I might focus on a Minstrel of Guardian.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
This is such an odd game, I have like every expansion for it but I never seem to stick around past like level 20. I think with this server merger I'll jump back in and give it an honest to god shot all the way to the endgame. What class is most in demand right now for groups, or does it not really matter at this point and I should just roll whatever?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tamayachi posted:

This is such an odd game, I have like every expansion for it but I never seem to stick around past like level 20. I think with this server merger I'll jump back in and give it an honest to god shot all the way to the endgame. What class is most in demand right now for groups, or does it not really matter at this point and I should just roll whatever?

The feel good answer is of course to pick whatever you like most, but because right now the most popular of the end game content is all 3 man and 6 man, and the 6 man stuff is even more crazy hard than the 3 man, it means 3 man groups are needed to be a top contender (in pve, not pvp).

You can of course complete this with any class, but you will have the easiest time being invited to groups if you are a good guardian or a good minstrel. But back to feel goods, beornings solo roving threats like a tough rear end fuckin' bear, champs are amazing DPS even if people have pointed out, they are more repetitive and a bit harder to play than a hunter, and DPS in general will always be more competitive to find group slots than being a good tank or healer.

Once you settle on a character feel free to post your name and claim your pipeweed and gold from me, then as you level up higher there are few cool goons beside me giving away gear lately too.

edit

I should mention if it takes you til the end of the year to hit 100, then Minas Tirith comes out by then, they could possibly be adding 12 man raids back into the game, but it will more than likely still be mostly 3 and 6 man for PVE, and however many as you can bring for PVP. Even then, Guardian/Minstrel are the demand probably. I've heard the level cap will not raise though, so it'll still be 100 just more content for gear and cool experiences and quests to come.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zipline posted:

IDK what to level. I got bored of my Hunter main, which is 40, and bought the Beorning. He's at 19 and I'm enjoying it but I hear the class is super gimped at cap. Is that true? In that case I might focus on a Minstrel of Guardian.

I'd say super gimped is unfair, I've seen beornings who do probably 80 percent as much DPS as my champ, all while requiring less heals (can heal yourself and dps), so they still do several solo/tank type roles better than DPS classes can. At level 20 a beorning is like a level 40, but at level 100 I'd agree they stop being gods and just balance out into being a drat good class.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Alrighty, rolled Miyaki, a Guardian for now

EDIT: And Kaymika, Minstrel

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 10, 2015

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Zipline posted:

Not gimped, they are basically a jack of all trades so expect them to not be the best at dps, tanking, or healing, though they are decent/good at all 3.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

CreedThoughts posted:

Not gimped, they are basically a jack of all trades so expect them to not be the best at dps, tanking, or healing, though they are decent/good at all 3.

Sounds exactly like a Captain. I had thought about buying the Beorning class but if it'd be that similar to a class I've already played to level 85, I'll pass lol

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
How does the Warden do? Seems pretty fun to level, but I never group, so I have no idea how it does in high end content.

Also, have we decided on what server we are migrating to (if our server is going away)?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Haerc posted:

How does the Warden do? Seems pretty fun to level, but I never group, so I have no idea how it does in high end content.

Also, have we decided on what server we are migrating to (if our server is going away)?

Not sure if the Warden changed much between 85 and 100, but they were basically right below Guardians in tanking ability. They're probably the most complicated class in the game if you're trying to play one right and not just mash buttons.

Silverlode is one of the servers getting axed, and I think the consensus seemed to be that we'd go to Landroval if it's available when our turn comes. Gladden is probably the backup.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I've been on vacation and will be for a bit longer and I was wondering if I don't do the Bingo Boffin quests when they're released I can always catch up? I have no idea how these sorts of things work as usual.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I've been on vacation and will be for a bit longer and I was wondering if I don't do the Bingo Boffin quests when they're released I can always catch up? I have no idea how these sorts of things work as usual.

Yeah. The older quests are going to be around forever. The only limitation is that the rest of the quests in the chain will be released once a week.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
The Server Transfer button is lit up on my launcher, we're going to Landroval, right?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

The Server Transfer button is lit up on my launcher, we're going to Landroval, right?

Are you on Elendilmir? That's the only one of the closing servers that's allowed to transfer right now. Pretty sure we'll be going to Landroval sometime in October or November unless people want to wait for Brandywine to open up.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

ruffz posted:

Are you on Elendilmir? That's the only one of the closing servers that's allowed to transfer right now. Pretty sure we'll be going to Landroval sometime in October or November unless people want to wait for Brandywine to open up.

Silverlode. I haven't clicked on the button so it may well be disabled until our server opens up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tamayachi posted:

Silverlode. I haven't clicked on the button so it may well be disabled until our server opens up.

Button shows up for me too now.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Silverlode isn't up yet. Put it back in your pockets for now.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I worry about all the role playing nerds on landroval, and Brandywine is likely going to be more populated, but I haven't followed the news enough to know if it's opening up for transfers soon. I thought I saw an faq where a dev said it would open but :iiam:

I just hope we're somewhere bursting with people.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

Yeah if you click on the button it just comes up with a blank screen on the server list since Silverlode hasn't been allowed to move yet.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I worry about all the role playing nerds on landroval, and Brandywine is likely going to be more populated, but I haven't followed the news enough to know if it's opening up for transfers soon. I thought I saw an faq where a dev said it would open but :iiam:

Landroval has its RP nerds, but has had a very active community since day one. I'm thinking that Brandywine might not be the most populated server anymore by the time it opens for incoming transfers again, because a high percentage of people from closing servers are going to flock to Landroval. Turbine said on the LOTRO forums that they expect Brandywine to open back up by the end of the year. Their timeline suggested Silverlode should be able to transfer by late October or early November, but they have a pattern of missing their target dates.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm a non-RPer that always roles on RP servers, and in every game I've played(including this one), less than 20% of players actually RP on RP servers And they almost always stick the the obvious RP spots like Prancing Pony, etc. The fears that people have of RP servers are rarely realized.
That said, the craziest of the craziest MMO players will always be some complete nutjob RPer, so it's possible to have an interaction that's spectacularly hosed up, but it's extremely rare to actually have it happen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

And those interactions are worth it for the hilarity. If nothing else rp servers are worth it for the comedy.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Been going through Osgiliath slowly the past couple days. This place reminds me of Moria 1.0 with the high mob density, plus there's a fair amount of roaming Signatures and even Elites. Always nice to have a little challenge in the solo game. The whole Eastern Gondor update has been pretty well done in my opinion. It definitely feels like war is in the air and poo poo is about to go down. It's pretty cool being able to look out from a vantage point and see the Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith in the distance.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

Been going through Osgiliath slowly the past couple days. This place reminds me of Moria 1.0 with the high mob density, plus there's a fair amount of roaming Signatures and even Elites. Always nice to have a little challenge in the solo game. The whole Eastern Gondor update has been pretty well done in my opinion. It definitely feels like war is in the air and poo poo is about to go down. It's pretty cool being able to look out from a vantage point and see the Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith in the distance.

It definitely has the look and feel maybe even more realistic and grim than the films showed, it seems like even when Gandalf wasn't around the looming shadow of Mordor didn't really fill up many places in the films other than Minas Morgul was pretty accurate to what I imagined, I loved the films but it's just a big compliment to the game that I play even on week days when there's a dozen level 100s online. You might be further along than I am in the questline, I haven't actually seen Pelennor or Minas Tirith in the distance yet but I love the black shadow with red clouds and the occasional lightning bolt to make me feel like the toughest motherfucker this far east.

Also, a singled Ruined City run today and I finally looted this.

lovely screenshot quality and missing two more supreme essence, but the grind is still fun to me. This is what I do instead of updating the op, but I will continue to divide my treasure between our fine members. Except the best stuff, that's bind on acquire, suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Is that from a t1 or t2 run ?