Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Minas Tirith in the distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Well that loving owns, crazy to think the actual city we get seems like it's going to be bigger than that.

AskYourself posted:

Is that from a t1 or t2 run ?

T2, the only thing you get from T1 is exploring a cool new spooky place and laughing at the troll fight, no loot worth the time. I know I sound like a Turbine salesman but beorning yellow line can heal T2 to the point where you can get hit by several of the timed (every 70 seconds) 20k hits in a row and not die. My group I've done it 3 times with now successfully has been bear healer, guardian tank, champion dps. It seems like the bears damage falls off late game, many of it's abilities are actually based on the champion so as a DPS class it's a fun, more tanky slightly lower DPS champ. As a healer though? Thing is a beast.

Might provides both physical and tactical mastery, and since bears dps with physical and heal with tactical it means you can be an amazing healer without changing almost any of your gear. Also explains why they always survive solo content, and the +25 percent movespeed in bear form helps for the 'run to the troll or the last boss' tactic for T2 Ruined City.

Also I really want to make a kin named Goondor on Landroval with my bear, but I don't want to distract people away from Silverlode too early.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 17, 2015

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Guys guys !!

Omg omg omg

awwww crap

But for sure it's coming soon :)

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

I'd like to try that soon but there's no chatter about it in /world and I don't have the guts to lead a t2 yet since I haven't even ran it once yet.

I organized and lead Retaking Pelagir fellowship and got everything plat ! Felt good the first time :) My gearing up is doing good too, The only purple I have left is my off-hand, apart from that and my class item everything is teal and gold. I'm close to 20,000 morale too !

I looked on the AH for these two slots but no luck so far. Does Sammy drop a teal 1h sword ? Also if someone can craft a better ranged item please let me know.

It's true, I get that bad rear end feeling questing in Gondor, it's a very different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Being level 100 also is motivating, having 3 digits in your level and all that. It's been great experience coming back.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AskYourself posted:

I'd like to try that soon but there's no chatter about it in /world and I don't have the guts to lead a t2 yet since I haven't even ran it once yet.

I organized and lead Retaking Pelagir fellowship and got everything plat ! Felt good the first time :) My gearing up is doing good too, The only purple I have left is my off-hand, apart from that and my class item everything is teal and gold. I'm close to 20,000 morale too !

I looked on the AH for these two slots but no luck so far. Does Sammy drop a teal 1h sword ? Also if someone can craft a better ranged item please let me know.

It's true, I get that bad rear end feeling questing in Gondor, it's a very different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Being level 100 also is motivating, having 3 digits in your level and all that. It's been great experience coming back.

It's definitely a bit hard to find a group, depending on what time you're going to be online and if you plan to heal or dps it, I can't see your mitigations in that screenshot but especially for a cloth dps you probably need them above 50 percent. I know the best champ offhand sword in the game is from RC, I imagine there is some LM equivalent but I haven't checked wiki or seen one drop. Also grats on your gear, seems like you're getting it done pretty quickly!

Other than that I'd just get another slotted piece of gear and put whichever mitigation you're currently lower on (tactical or physical) as well as a greater morale if you can find another. I would recommend the roving threats trinket as it's got two slots and can be farmed in an evening with a good group.

Would any of you be up for roving threat groups one evening a week? Probably run them for about 90 minutes to 2 hours, it's quickest if we have one captain and one hunter for ports and speed. For the quests you mostly need to be level 100. The nice thing is even if only 4 people show up, we do a weaker region. If 10 people show up and it's a good variety of classes, we stomp like two regions or 8 threats total in no time.

Darth Nemesis
Nov 11, 2003

I <3 majins,
omg disgaea fag

AskYourself posted:

Also if someone can craft a better ranged item please let me know.

Done.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What is the word on plugins? Are there any that are must-haves or at least major quality of life improvements?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I haven't found any must-haves, but there's one called CombatAnalysis that's kind of cool. It gives you a bunch of battle statistics, like your damage done, heals done, or damage taken. I think the Compendium is probably handy if it were kept up-to-date but I think it's quite a few updates behind now?

I think there used to be one that modified how your bags displayed your items, and that was handy, but Turbine implemented a similar change into the game itself.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

What is the word on plugins? Are there any that are must-haves or at least major quality of life improvements?

I've still never even tried one, bags are fully customized in the UI by clicking the little gear on your first bag (we had a guy a few pages back who didn't know this and put his heart and soul into updating a bag plugin, rip that guy). In terms of co-ordinates some people use one that tracks roving threats for you, but even that's real lazy and unnecessary in a game with a built in co-ordinate system and a pretty good map interface.

edit

Ctrl+\ is the command to move around just about every single thing on your UI, and the options have a searchbar to make finding options easier.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

LOTRO is one of just a couple MMOs where I've used barely any plugins. I did previously use a plugin to have one huge inventory bag, but Turbine made that obsolete. I find the default UI to be just fine, despite its age.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Returning after a 4-year hiatus (although i did log on a few months ago, got overwhelmed, and logged off). Anybody on Brandywine?

E: I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, so forgive me if this is info i could find earlier in the thread.

Cnidario fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 23, 2015

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Cnidario posted:

Returning after a 4-year hiatus (although i did log on a few months ago, got overwhelmed, and logged off). Anybody on Brandywine?

E: I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, so forgive me if this is info i could find earlier in the thread.

Servers are currently merging. Brandywine is not open for people to transfer to. We're on Silverlode, and when transfers open up for us to move, we're looking to move towards Landroval if it is still open. If it is not, we're not 100% sure of the plan.

melaTONE
Nov 5, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I have been on Gladden for the past few years and it's pretty great if Landroval doesn't work for you. Would enjoy running around with some goons. Since the server transfer talk has started I have noticed a lot more people around and the community is growing pretty vibrant.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I think all servers will be good after this. And if some server gets light, I suspect Turbine will close it.

I think people are being a little over worried about ending up on another ghost town. I think Turbine's whole goal is here is to make sure there are no such things as ghost towns anymore.

That being said - I can understand where people like bombhand are concerned. While we were basically dead, she made a lot of friends in the public chat community that did stuff together. Kind of an unofficial guild, so they're all hoping they end up in the same spot. There was some community vote thing and everyone was trying to go to Landroval as well, but it was something insane like 50 tiny guilds or what-not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I subbed a few weeks ago but today I found that there are some instances which I have to buy in addition. I was under the impression that you got access to all content with a sub, but reading online it seems I was mistaken.

What really concerns me is that I'm reading that the really expensive stuff - the expansions mostly - is also locked behind the paywall even if you buy VIP. On the other hand I just did the first little bit of the Moria quest line to get my first legendaries and Moria is specifically referenced as something you need to buy in addition. On the other hand I've been constantly sifting through really outdated information on just about everything.

So what's the deal. What exactly is locked away even with VIP? I'm fine with subbing, I'd even be OK with paying for the latest expansion, but if I have to shell out a ton of cash for multiple years-old expansions I think I might be done here. Which is a drag because I've been having a bunch of fun,.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OK, apparently you can just buy all 4 expansions for $40 which is a lot better than what I was thinking when I was looking at turbine points and doing the cash conversion. That's acceptable and more or less on par with just buying the most recent expansion.

Question: if I go ahead and do that, is there any compelling reason to stay VIP after buying the expansions? Since I've gotten it once I think I have all the important character unlocks and I really don't give a poo poo about the XP bonus.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, apparently you can just buy all 4 expansions for $40 which is a lot better than what I was thinking when I was looking at turbine points and doing the cash conversion. That's acceptable and more or less on par with just buying the most recent expansion.

Question: if I go ahead and do that, is there any compelling reason to stay VIP after buying the expansions? Since I've gotten it once I think I have all the important character unlocks and I really don't give a poo poo about the XP bonus.

After you buy the expansions, vip still gives you the quest packs that you don't own. I think the only packs are the non-expansion dungeons, but I may be wrong. You also get some skirmishes and class unlocks. I think that's it.

Oh, and when you buy the expansions you'll get a chance to buy turbine points at a good discount. I'd consider it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

DailyTasks is a nice timesaver if levelling and doing tasks to figure out what insect parts you should keep vs sell.

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info498-DailyTasksreference.html

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
With the holidays coming up if you're just starting don't buy the expansions. They often go on sale for RIDICULOUSLY cheap and you won't be to their content until then what.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

With the holidays coming up if you're just starting don't buy the expansions. They often go on sale for RIDICULOUSLY cheap and you won't be to their content until then what.

When do they usually go on sale? Christmas?

I'm already in the upper 40s and from what I'm seeing all 4 are $40 if you buy them all at once. How cheaper is cheaper?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I want to say $20 but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Meanwhile, Steam should have its Halloween sale, Autumn sale, and Holiday sale. Obviously it means waiting a month at least (LotRO isn't a Halloween game so it may not happen then) and since you're already nearing Moria and enjoying your time you might just get it at $40, which is still a REALLY good deal.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

When do they usually go on sale? Christmas?

I'm already in the upper 40s and from what I'm seeing all 4 are $40 if you buy them all at once. How cheaper is cheaper?

I think I've only spent a fully priced game ($40-$60) for all the game content at this point. I've never subscribed and I got all the regions in game through just getting TP from deeds (I had to grind a little). It's feasible to get it all for cheap. The sales will seriously bring down the price hard.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hey, what's the best line to spec for guardian leveling? Guardians apparently don't get their first self-heal until 30, so I've been running Yellow line (since it gives your attacks against marked targets a 10% chance to heal 5% of your Morale.) I'm wondering if going blue or red might be better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I've been running red as a sword and board guard. You have enough armor that you really ft need the self heal until well after you get catch a breath and the odd oh gently caress situation can be handled with Putins. I suspect I'll respec blue when group tanking becomes a thing I do but my current solution works great through 48 so far.

Edit. Leaving that autocorrect typo because it's awesome.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been running red as a sword and board guard. You have enough armor that you really ft need the self heal until well after you get catch a breath and the odd oh gently caress situation can be handled with Putins. I suspect I'll respec blue when group tanking becomes a thing I do but my current solution works great through 48 so far.

Edit. Leaving that autocorrect typo because it's awesome.

It's a good idea to give a week to every spec, even the one regarded as the worst one by the community for your class, just so you know which 1 or 2 points you might want from that once you're level 100 and have already filled up the ones in your favorite line. No matter how many Putins I bring, the tactical resistance in the champion's blue line has saved me from being one shot a time or two.

So the 29th Riddermark and one other server opens up for transfer, I have a mid level character there from years ago I will transfer to one of the other servers and report here how smoothly it went, email info, times, etc, it will be different for everyone but it'll be relaxing to get an idea of how it's working currently.

Also I made a kin on Landroval called Goondor, post your Landy alts names here if you want an invite. Not going to build up the kin, just a fun name to have since I know we used to have about 5 of us with Beornings to test out on Landy. Non-bears are welcome but will be talked down to.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They're sure moving slowly with enabling more servers for transfers. It's been almost 2 weeks since Elendilmir was allowed to move. Makes me wonder if it'll be after the first of the year for Silverlode unless they plan on making it faster between the next waves.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
A disgruntled member of the Player Council has spilled the beans:
http://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/3664-leixy-banned-from-lotro-update-17-leak-details/?page=1

More big battles with Minas Tirith. gently caress.

Leixy was a very prolific poster on the official forums, so his permaban from the game over this leak is big news unto itself for those of us that actually use the OF.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Are they still actively making expansions for this or is the fan more or less in stasis?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They stopped doing big Expansions , in favor of smaller content packs. We get, what, two or three big content patches a year now?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are they still actively making expansions for this or is the fan more or less in stasis?

Minas Tirith and Pelennor combined will probably be at least as big as a major expansion, but they're being released likely with a few months between them, and I imagine free to VIPs but 1000 TP or so for premium players? Just guessing. Maybe it came with Eastern Gondor for all I know, but that seems unlikely.

I'm really into the stuff coming out in that leak, though I do miss buying the boxed games in stores.

Cool to see they're still bringing all the housing stuff they teased us about early this year.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brave New World posted:

A disgruntled member of the Player Council has spilled the beans:
http://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/3664-leixy-banned-from-lotro-update-17-leak-details/?page=1

More big battles with Minas Tirith. gently caress.

Leixy was a very prolific poster on the official forums, so his permaban from the game over this leak is big news unto itself for those of us that actually use the OF.

That he got banned for posting GM chat in to a channel means either he had a long rap sheet (odd if so, since you'd think that'd keep him off the council) or a GM was a bit overzealous in applying the rules. OTOH this is the same MMO that at one point had a GM monitoring Nazgun chat apparently. :shrug:

The Big Battle usage doesn't surprise me. Making battles probably takes a lot less time than creating actual dungeons would. It doesn't help that Big Battles are basically MOBA-style gameplay shoehorned in to an MMO. Still, it's the only expansion feature that hasn't gotten neglected in subsequent content other than LIs.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

"Here's a cool new housing feature, but we're going to make it VIP-only" :negative:

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I'm getting a "no permission" when I click the link; does anyone have it cached to copy-paste here?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/3664-leixy-banned-from-lotro-update-17-leak-details/?page=1

try this when you need a cached copy : http://cachedview.com/

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

bombhand posted:

I'm getting a "no permission" when I click the link; does anyone have it cached to copy-paste here?

It looks like the site's owner killed the thread. he doesn't want Turbine to be mad at him for allowing leaks, etc.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If there's going to be a goon group on Landroval now I might actually play this again. I bought this when it first came out but quit after the guild I was in back in the day broke up. Keep trying to come back but there's way too much stuff to sort through coming in blind. Thanks for the OP, it's helping me figure out poo poo in the game now (as opposed to seven years ago)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hey, what's the best line to spec for guardian leveling? Guardians apparently don't get their first self-heal until 30, so I've been running Yellow line (since it gives your attacks against marked targets a 10% chance to heal 5% of your Morale.) I'm wondering if going blue or red might be better.

When I last played there was nothing faster at Guardian levelling than a yellow-line light-damage mark-spreader with a two-hander, which spits out more damage the more enemies you are facing. Red line is bleed which is damage over time you don't need to waste, blue is needless survivability. Healing is largely irrelevant when going through low level content in real armour (wardens can gently caress off).

My job finishes for good around xmas so I might start playing this for the second "final ever time".

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm conflicted. I don't know if I want to just re-start completely and make a guardian to take through at least Misty Mountains, or if tackle them with my 25 runekeeper or my 25 warden, both then which would probably test my patience less and hence have a better, though still unlikely chance, to get to 100.

On the other hand I finished all the East Gondor content on my 100 hunter, so hooray for that. It's why I'm figuring out what to do next. I do have a lot of xp boosters so leveling shouldn't be an issue.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 29, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Also I'm thinking of doing Hytbold. Would it be easier to do it on level (though I don't intend to do every quest in East Rohan), or would it be best to do it with my 100 who has done everything already in East Rohan but that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just hit 45, do I need to buy Moria if I'm a subscriber?