Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The riding trait is drat near necessary, though the costs vary. I think if any pack comes with a horse, it might also include the riding skill. Check the lotro store website and Amazon. Sometimes there’s a bundle of things including what you would want for cheaper.

The wallet upgrade is also a good one. It lets you have all your event tokens just add up into the wallet instead of taking up space in your pack.

It can be good to subscribe as VIP at least once, as there are some perks, like fast travel, that unlock permanently if you log into that character while subscribed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I know a lot has been said, but no one mentioned missions.

If you just want to casually play the game, book quests are the way to go.

If you want to level quickly and have a few bucks to spare, pick up an XP boost and enhanced xp supply x5, then run the erebor missions (take the horse from central bree) to net several levels per day.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you want to level quickly LOTRO may not be the right game for you.

Take your time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Once you start growing pipeweed and veggies you will lose track of time altogether. I don't even remember why I started doing that. Cooking ingredients? Why did I even start cooking?

:iiam:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I remember leveling one of my characters, I think it was my Warden, from 10 to 48 or 49 just by farming and cooking a shitload of stuff for my characters to use.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
There was that one hobbit who got to max level last year exclusively from baking pies.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lum_ posted:

If you don't have Wildwood, Angle of Metheniel or Yondershire on your account, get them for free before the mini-expansion hits

https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-free-questing-coupon-2022-en

What expansions does this actually cover, out of curiosity? The last time I played was during Mirkwood. I think they've since baked in some of the other expansions but I'm not 100% on where I'd stand in terms of content after using this.

Since it seems I'm never going to get my Silverlode character back (and apparently I missed a free boost so that sucks rear end) what would be some of the best classes for blowing through poo poo nowadays. I imagine hunter remains up there.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Hunter is the clear winner because damage, travel skills, and movement boost. Champ is next for aoe skills. Then brawler for strong damage with some aoe. Just my opinion, of course.

But really, play what’s fun for you. This feels like the kind of game where trying to just progress as quickly as possible would likely lead to burnout.

(Comedy option, pick up Yeoman, and farm and cook your levels away)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

What expansions does this actually cover, out of curiosity? The last time I played was during Mirkwood. I think they've since baked in some of the other expansions but I'm not 100% on where I'd stand in terms of content after using this.

Since it seems I'm never going to get my Silverlode character back (and apparently I missed a free boost so that sucks rear end) what would be some of the best classes for blowing through poo poo nowadays. I imagine hunter remains up there.

the webpage you would have seen if you had clicked the link in the reply you quoted, like, it's right there, you barely even need to scroll down posted:

This Coupon Code will grant the following to your game account:

Quest Pack: Central Gondor
Quest Pack: East Gondor
Quest Pack: West Gondor
Quest Pack: Old Anórien
Region Pack: Far Anórien
Quest Pack: March of the King
Quest Pack: Battle of the Black Gate
Quest Pack: Legacy of the Necromancer
Quest Pack: Where Dragons Dwell
Quest Pack: The Vales of Anduin
Quest Pack: Mists of Wilderland
Quest Pack: The Wildwood
The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins
Quest Pack: The Blood of Azog
Quest Pack: Rangers and Ruins
Quest Pack: Yondershire

No idea why Far Anorien is a Region Pack rather than a Quest Pack, that must have been some naming thing they tried once and then gave up on.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sorry, I did see that, I'm just curious as to the expansions they belong to. That said after some looking around it's apparently Everything up to Mordor/Minas Morgul/Three Peaks, whatever order those are done in. I think Gundabad is also not included?

HPanda posted:

Hunter is the clear winner because damage, travel skills, and movement boost. Champ is next for aoe skills. Then brawler for strong damage with some aoe. Just my opinion, of course.

But really, play what’s fun for you. This feels like the kind of game where trying to just progress as quickly as possible would likely lead to burnout.

(Comedy option, pick up Yeoman, and farm and cook your levels away)

I admittedly do want to do Champ but I'm extremely bitter about mine being stuck on Silverlode lol. It'd also be my luck I levelled it up only to have the transfer issues get fixed.

Truthfully I'm more concerned about blowing through SoA than anything else. Moria was a great experience and don't mind doing it again, Mirkwood was fine?

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 1, 2022

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

sassassin posted:

If you want to level quickly LOTRO may not be the right game for you.

Take your time.

Yeah after playing to level 17 I am realizing leveling at a normal pace is cool and fun and this is the perfect game to smoke [pipe]weed and play while chillaxing

e: If I fire up an alt I might get impatient though. There seems to be plenty of ways to skip stuff you have already seen/done

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I enjoyed Minstrel but rolled a Loremaster when the ability to do so with hobbits came around, and I really adore this class. It's such a weird grab bag of mechanics, but in a good way

I also want to try Brawler. What are the odds it goes on sale? My gut says the moment I plop down 1000 points it'll go 50% off a day later

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I also love my LM but I wish it had half as many buttons. Every time I come back I forget what most of them do.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

WarpDogs posted:

I enjoyed Minstrel but rolled a Loremaster when the ability to do so with hobbits came around, and I really adore this class. It's such a weird grab bag of mechanics, but in a good way

I also want to try Brawler. What are the odds it goes on sale? My gut says the moment I plop down 1000 points it'll go 50% off a day later

If it doesn't go on sale with Harvest Festival coming up, probably safe to go ahead and get without it going on sale immediately after.

And yes, Brawler is lots of fun. Run through the Shire chucking beer at and sucker punching wolves after flexing at them.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

Sorry, I did see that, I'm just curious as to the expansions they belong to. That said after some looking around it's apparently Everything up to Mordor/Minas Morgul/Three Peaks, whatever order those are done in. I think Gundabad is also not included?

Oh, yeah, sorry, none of these are expansions. That's what the text right under what I quoted is for:

quote:

Additionally, enjoy a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points through October 31st, 2022:

Mordor
War of Three Peaks
Minas Morgul
You'll get way more than 99 LOTRO points just casually going through the free stuff, so that's effectively free. Gundabad is the only expansion they're really charging money for at this point.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

How can you see which expansions/regions/packs you already have access to?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

How can you see which expansions/regions/packs you already have access to?

Well, you could go to the "Content" section of the Market and see what expansions and quest packs are available to buy. If there's nothing, you have it all. I recall some of the instance clusters were acting a bit funky, where things like the Isengard raid showed on the list, even though you already had it through the full pack. That was several years ago, though and the issue has probably been fixed by now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Turns out that over the years I'd accumulated 5,000 coins so I bought a few expansions/quests packs along with some storage. I like crafting but even with trying to share resources among my alts storage becomes a mess.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Inventory management is definitely easier these days thanks to the carry-all items and extensions to the shared bank vault, but those can get expensive.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I made a High Elf and in the introduction the Witch King has 15M hitpoints and I have 35k. :gonk:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I had enough points that a small purchase let me get the 50 boost and jump back in at Moria with a hunter. 56 now, and man it's wild how well Moria holds up as an experience. Everything from the lead up to the zone itself just scratches the right itches.

My only complaint is how divorced the main quest feels from the general questing flow (IE, game essentially guiding me up through Silvertine Lodes only for the next main quest up in Durin's Way to...send me back to the Great Delving, which I'd completed several hours back. I have definitely learned to not use one of the xp boosters I got as part of the level skip when I think I'm going to be doing a book quest.

Bit of a bummer that instances probably aren't gonna happen either due to population but is what it is. I'm enjoying myself by and large :)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Oh Snapple! posted:

I had enough points that a small purchase let me get the 50 boost and jump back in at Moria with a hunter. 56 now, and man it's wild how well Moria holds up as an experience. Everything from the lead up to the zone itself just scratches the right itches.

My only complaint is how divorced the main quest feels from the general questing flow (IE, game essentially guiding me up through Silvertine Lodes only for the next main quest up in Durin's Way to...send me back to the Great Delving, which I'd completed several hours back. I have definitely learned to not use one of the xp boosters I got as part of the level skip when I think I'm going to be doing a book quest.

Bit of a bummer that instances probably aren't gonna happen either due to population but is what it is. I'm enjoying myself by and large :)

Whenever an MMO does an "underground zone" the aesthetics are always the same. Moria doesn't feel like five "underground zones" - each zone is radically different and has cool as hell aesthetics. They really knocked it out of the park.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
There's a reason Gundabad tried to be "Moria, again"

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Without exaggeration I'd say LotR has some of the best art direction and environmental design of any MMO I have ever played. I would do almost anything to be able to live in the Shire that is depicted in this game. It's so wonderful

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Because of my chronic alt-itis I probably don't have even one character at 40 despite having played off and on since launch. So I will try to stick to just one character for a while and maybe finally see more of this game.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

WarpDogs posted:

Without exaggeration I'd say LotR has some of the best art direction and environmental design of any MMO I have ever played. I would do almost anything to be able to live in the Shire that is depicted in this game. It's so wonderful
I just made a Hobbit alt and will just be using shared vault space to be a permanent resident of the Shire and do nothing but crafting. I love the Shire so much and the little hobbitses

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I feel like they excel at making a place just feel sinister or otherwise oppressive. There's a real sense throughout Moria, and I recall Mirkwood as well, of "This is a bad place to be and no one should be here".

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Mirkwood is so good. I know a lot of people poo-pooed on that expansion but I really enjoyed it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Mirkwood was solid, I just went through a bit ago on my first char to do so. I didn't get around to the group content area though which looked cool. So far Dunland is peak MMO. Some interesting settlements but overall its just a pile of quest hubs and their generic quests. I'll have to skip the Isengard group content til later I assume and Saruman's raid is one of the few that needs a bunch of people to do the encounter even if you come back 50 levels over. I'm curious how I'll do in Rohan and how warsteeds work now with no more legendary bridles. I heard its ridiculously repetitive but has nice music which I can put up with a lot with that good Tolkien atmosphere. Enedwaith had some minor howling wind sound effects that really added to it, I liked that one.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Since the above post brought it up, I'm curious: Speaking generally in terms of class, what kind of level gap are you typically looking at for soloing group instances like the aforementioned Dol Guldur stuff that makes up the epilogue for Mirkwood?

Tangential, I'm in Lothlorien now and forgot about singing to trees for xp :3:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Since the above post brought it up, I'm curious: Speaking generally in terms of class, what kind of level gap are you typically looking at for soloing group instances like the aforementioned Dol Guldur stuff that makes up the epilogue for Mirkwood?

I tried soloing the Dol Guldur instances at level ~90-95 or so and didn’t have much trouble until I got loving steamrolled by Gorothúl.

:smith:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I tried to go back to do the 3 man mirror instances in moria with my 85 warden and got obliterated in two seconds on the first boss pull. 2 wargs followed by a sleeping warg? I don't remember dying that fast on my 60 loremaster doing it in a trio. I did the solo version for the storyline a while ago but still had some quests and deeds to clean up in there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a Steam Deck coming next week, and just realized this thing setup in desktop mode, my wife will be able to play LOTRO with me now. :homebrew:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

WarpDogs posted:

The thing that amazes me is that they manage it without spec bloat.

I’ve got an absolute potato of a 2009 vintage intel duo MacBook Pro that happily runs it on the windows partition. One of the few even vaguely modern games that will run on it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I upgraded to a 4K monitor and LOTRO started blowing out my video card; at first I thought I had finally found a video spec that LOTRO couldn't support, but no, it was that it was trying to push out 120+ FPS at 4K.

The old ways are best.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Anyone know if they might do a sale on previous expansion when new expansion goes live? Like have they done something like that in the past?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Black Friday and Xmas are often times we see sales. Nothing guaranteed, of course

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I finished up Mirkwood late last week and am now knee-deep in Dunland! The quest structure finally modernized and stopped sending me to the same spot I just cleared multiple times! I was able to still have fun with the older style but I am nevertheless relieved at the better progression structure.

I've really enjoyed the Grey Company stuff so far, and Saruman's involvement throughout what I've done. The auction questline was some oof stuff, in a good way.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, even in the early stuff, the difference between old and new content tends to be very defined. If nothing else, the difference in gear rewards is a dead give away.

New stuff:
Hey, you delivered a couple items. Have a purple quality item with the exact specs your class needs.

Old stuff:
You completed a fellowship quest? Here, have, I dunno, some yellow quality cloth boots with might and out of combat power regen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

The worst is when they're like "wow, you just saved everyone in our entire town, please take this coin!" and it's like literally like... 11 silver, 40 copper

I imagine the quest rewards have never once been updated, because even a stack of lowest level task items goes for like 50 silver