Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lars posted:

You are the hero we've been waiting for! Now go kill 5 orcs, come back and we'll tell you to go kill 5 more.

And after that we'll have you go collect some bear asses from an area right next to where those orcs were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Pre-orders for the expansion are up for the usual prices ($39.99 / $79.99 / $129.99).

https://www.lotro.com/expansions

Patch today seems to heavily imply that the Mariner class will be available today. It's listed under content but there is a huge chunk in the patch notes that just says "More information coming on tuesday!"

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-37-2-release-notes-en

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Mariners are indeed live today.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
oh poo poo i need to swash and buckle with a pint sized pirate

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lum_ posted:

Mariners are indeed live today.

Glad to see someone else does the whole "every character name is just a rehash of the same thing" thing.

I am very creative.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Drone posted:

Glad to see someone else does the whole "every character name is just a rehash of the same thing" thing.

I am very creative.

Yo.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

My immersion is on its last legs over here...

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

fenix down posted:

My immersion is on its last legs over here...

funny i thought brawlers punched your immersion and threw it out a window

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Aaand of course the patch hosed up my installation, now giving me a black screen before CTD whenever I try to log on. :shepicide:

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009

Drone posted:

Playing dwarves makes this easy, just change one vowel!

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Are mariners worth a first time player? I played this game for a hot second when the first legendary server got introduced but haven't in a while.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I haven't yet, but I hear they have travel powers so I love them

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If you happened to have logged in during the 15th anniversary and got all the free items and expansions, a Beorning's probably the best class to start as just because they can be so drat durable with good damage.

Though if Mariner has travel skills like Hunter and Warden that alone would make it appealing and convenient.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Mine is only 20 but it’s already pretty complicated. Haven’t figured out a rotation that feels good but doesn’t leave me stunned from messing up the balance. If you really like the flavor then go for it, but there are way easier ways to be melee dps.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Any good overviews out there? Curious what it do

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Tabletops posted:

Any good overviews out there? Curious what it do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSJDUOz4Ais

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Does anyone know when the new corsairs content is actually coming out?

headsupsevenup
Sep 22, 2004

Okay.
It was supposed to launch on November 1st, but they pushed it to the 8th to finish testing a few more things before it launches. They also didn't rule out making the launch further in case more bugs pop up between now and then.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Eh this seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I mean, play a hunter if you want. Looks fun to me.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm leveling through Rise of Isenguard. I like how they've tied the side quests and Epic Quest together. They bring you to a place; have the NPC say, "help these people as much as you want before meeting me at X," and then you can do these large side stories if you want or skip them.

Enough goons were online a few days ago for us to group up and do a few instances!

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
https://www.lotro.com/corsairs-of-umbar

New expansion is out.

I'm only level 12 but it seems quite fun. Would be great with a booming server though haha. Seems to average 250 during the day.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

truther posted:

https://www.lotro.com/corsairs-of-umbar

New expansion is out.

I'm only level 12 but it seems quite fun. Would be great with a booming server though haha. Seems to average 250 during the day.
Where is that number coming from? I've always been curious about server pop.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don't believe the in game population thing in the social tab is accurate, as it doesn't account for the people online who are anonymous

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Ah ok. Yes, I was using the social tool.

I moved servers to Arkonstone for OCE players and there were 500 on the social tool this morning.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
God this game is so unstable. The Steam download wouldn't even start without manually downloading the 2005 and 2010 VC++ packages, and then the game wouldn't even launch on the 64-bit client. On the 32-bit client it works fine except every time you transition between areas (like entering or leaving a building or fast travel or stable rides) it has like a 80% chance of hard crashing.

The new area looks beautiful and the writing seems as good as it has been before, with lots of neat little touches like the NPCs popping up in every town you travel through with unique dialogue, so I'll tough through this, but man is it annoying to have to relaunch like 4 times an hour.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 18, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I would suggest deleting the Steam version and installing the standalone client. I had problems when I tried to play through Steam, but none with the direct launcher.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

jalapeno_dude posted:

God this game is so unstable. The Steam download wouldn't even start without manually downloading the 2005 and 2010 VC++ packages, and then the game wouldn't even launch on the 64-bit client. On the 32-bit client it works fine except every time you transition between areas (like entering or leaving a building or fast travel or stable rides) it has like a 80% chance of hard crashing.

The new area looks beautiful and the writing seems as good as it has been before, with lots of neat little touches like the NPCs popping up in every town you travel through with unique dialogue, so I'll tough through this, but man is it annoying to have to relaunch like 4 times an hour.

did you possibly allow it to install into c:\program files (x86)? that causes a number of problems with both LOTRO and DDO. i've made the mistake a few times in recent years and it always caused me big problems, but it runs fine anywhere else on my PC.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Tsurupettan posted:

did you possibly allow it to install into c:\program files (x86)? that causes a number of problems with both LOTRO and DDO. i've made the mistake a few times in recent years and it always caused me big problems, but it runs fine anywhere else on my PC.

Can I just drag the game folder somewhere else or do I need to redownload the whole thing somewhere else?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

Can I just drag the game folder somewhere else or do I need to redownload the whole thing somewhere else?

i actually don't know this. you can try it, can't hurt to attempt. but yeah, that's probably the source of your woes if that's the case.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I've never been able to get the game running through the Steam version. The standalone client has worked flawlessly for me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’m the opposite. I’ve been on the steam launcher forever and never had a crash that I can think of.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I had to drop the steam version when I reinstalled in my new machine. Similar crashing. No problems now. Also, yeah, custom location helps for some reason.

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
Once a page we should probably just remind everyone that a third party launcher called One Launcher exists and is superior to both the standalone launcher and Steam.

https://github.com/JuneStepp/OneLauncher

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

everwake posted:

Once a page we should probably just remind everyone that a third party launcher called One Launcher exists and is superior to both the standalone launcher and Steam.

https://github.com/JuneStepp/OneLauncher

Is that launcher sanctioned by SSG? Or at least a "We don't care" stance?

If you have no trouble with the default launcher what benefit does this launcher bring?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

ILL Machina posted:

I had to drop the steam version when I reinstalled in my new machine. Similar crashing. No problems now. Also, yeah, custom location helps for some reason.

so regarding the custom location, what i've been told by friends is that on the c:\ drive, windows sometimes has difficulty with permissions in the program files (x86) folder, especially with older games, and that will just sometimes break them.

i've encountered this numerous times myself with older software (i play a lot of older PC games) and each time it has come up i realized installed it there by accident and moving it out miraculously fixed every issue with the game.

this is also how you solve the fun problem where DDO and LOTRO can just never fully install/update if you try to install them there.

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

Natsuumi posted:

Is that launcher sanctioned by SSG? Or at least a "We don't care" stance?

If you have no trouble with the default launcher what benefit does this launcher bring?

It's a "We don't care stance". If you click the link it gives bullet points on the features the One Launcher has over the standard launcher.

Primarily, saving my log-ins and actually working on a 4k monitor are my primary uses for it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The combination of downloading the launcher from the LOTRO site rather than Steam and not installing it in Program Files seems to have fixed the stability issues, thanks for the advice. Still stuck using the 32-bit client because the 64-bit client won't even start, though...

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

everwake posted:

Primarily, saving my log-ins and actually working on a 4k monitor are my primary uses for it.

It also patches *much* faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

In case anyone was on the fence, the new corsairs expansion is quite good - story wise at least.

Granted, it's 140 - 150 content and not many are there yet.